Mugabe

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Mugabe

#121 Post by BenThere » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:23 pm

So we have 50 years of retrospect and what have we learned? I'm not sure, but I have some thoughts.

South Africa and Southern Rhodesia were prosperous in the 1960's. In fact they were the most prosperous nations in Africa, by a long shot. True, they were run by and largely for the white people who controlled the levers of power, but I think it's fair to say that the status quo overall was better then than it is today. If only somehow the regimes existing then could have been nudged more carefully in the direction of racial justice, development and education of the black masses to include them in the spoils of the achieved prosperity, and rapprochement of past wrongs - hopefully coming to terms with history, much like we are struggling with in the US, Southern Rhodesia and South Africa could be 1st world nations today.

But the Left, as ever, wouldn't allow that evolution to happen. It had determined who the angels and demons were and there could be no compromise. The white-run regimes had to go, and the Left-wing African nationalists had to immediately be placed in power. Is it better now?

Whether is is banning DDT which imposed the scourge of malaria on tens of millions of people, stifling nuclear power generation which denied clean and safe power generation to us all, prematurely subsidizing wind and solar power which is inefficient and ecologically devastating, banning GMO foods that help immensely in the never-ending quest to feed the world's people, opening borders and enticing welfare seekers to weaken both our finances and cultures, fomenting labor laws that make our economies uncompetitive in global trade, et al., I've long come to the conclusion that if the Left is behind it, watch out!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#122 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:49 pm

BenThere wrote:So we have 50 years of retrospect and what have we learned? I'm not sure, but I have some thoughts.

South Africa and Southern Rhodesia were prosperous in the 1960's. In fact they were the most prosperous nations in Africa, by a long shot. True, they were run by and largely for the white people who controlled the levers of power, but I think it's fair to say that the status quo overall was better then than it is today. If only somehow the regimes existing then could have been nudged more carefully in the direction of racial justice, development and education of the black masses to include them in the spoils of the achieved prosperity, and rapprochement of past wrongs - hopefully coming to terms with history, much like we are struggling with in the US, Southern Rhodesia and South Africa could be 1st world nations today.

But the Left, as ever, wouldn't allow that evolution to happen. It had determined who the angels and demons were and there could be no compromise. The white-run regimes had to go, and the Left-wing African nationalists had to immediately be placed in power. Is it better now?

Whether is is banning DDT which imposed the scourge of malaria on tens of millions of people, stifling nuclear power generation which denied clean and safe power generation to us all, prematurely subsidizing wind and solar power which is inefficient and ecologically devastating, banning GMO foods that help immensely in the never-ending quest to feed the world's people, opening borders and enticing welfare seekers to weaken both our finances and cultures, fomenting labor laws that make our economies uncompetitive in global trade, et al., I've long come to the conclusion that if the Left is behind it, watch out!

I have an asbestos jacket, plaid with yellow stripes, very tasteful. I am sure you would like it. How can I send it to you as a present? The pocket is on the right hand side where the heart isn't!

Caco

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#123 Post by BenThere » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks, Caco. I've sent you a PM as to where to send it.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#124 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Ah I see you live at No. 666 Love Canal Hollow, just south of the DDT junction and adjacent to Dioxin Drive which is parallel to Plutonium Boulevard isn't it...?

Very fitting address and suits you very well just like my asbestos jacket will. There are not many of them left mind, you should consider yourself honoured.

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#125 Post by ian16th » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:25 pm

So that's sorted then.

Situation Normal.
Cynicism improves with age

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#126 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:56 am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... we-zanu-pf

Mugabe and his wife's immunity, deal and payoff!

Caco

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#127 Post by Stoneboat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Surprise! Surprise! US meddling led to the rise of Mugape in the first place. But it was really Henry Kissinger's fault, Jimmeh had nothing to do with it. He played the hand that was dealt him.

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/how-u-s-cold-war-politics-led-to-the-rise-of-robert-mugabe#comments-area

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#128 Post by BenThere » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:01 am

That's not true, Stoneboat.
Mugabe came to power in 1980. Jimmy Carter had been the US president since January, 1977. Kissinger wasn't in the picture whatsoever. Mugabe's fortune was made by President Carter and Zbigniew Brzezinski. Claiming that President Carter had nothing to do with it is jawdroppingly disingenuous.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#129 Post by Stoneboat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:43 am

Claiming that President Carter had nothing to do with it is jawdroppingly disingenuous

If that was aimed at me I was merely being sarcastic, although that does seem to be the underlying sentiment of that Post article from the NYT. That said, one probably shouldn't expect anything different from the NYT.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#130 Post by BenThere » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 pm

My apologies, Stoneboat. I missed the sarcasm; had I discerned it, I would have seen your post as quite correct.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#131 Post by Stoneboat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:51 pm

BenThere wrote:My apologies, Stoneboat. I missed the sarcasm; had I discerned it, I would have seen your post as quite correct.

No prob, just clearing the air. I should have used an emoticon, but couldn't be arsed to look for the scarasm one. :D

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#132 Post by Magnus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:51 am

Well, well; Caco is now offering to give BenThere mesothelioma. Not very charitable, I'd have thought. :)

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#133 Post by BenThere » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:52 am

I accepted Caco's jacket offer, giving him my real address.

But I think, as they say in Texas, he's all hat, no cattle; and I have little confidence he will make good on his offer.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#134 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:59 pm

BenThere wrote:I accepted Caco's jacket offer, giving him my real address.

But I think, as they say in Texas, he's all hat, no cattle; and I have little confidence he will make good on his offer.

I have bought you a Mad Magazine Trump Special as well Ben! =))

Give me your address rather than "the go to hell one" and I'll send the Mad Magazine book to you (I'll even forgo the pleasure of sending the jacket)! :D

Caco

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#135 Post by BenThere » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:03 pm

I gave you my real address, though I had second thoughts about you sending a hit man after me. But I'm ready.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#136 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Ben, I didn't receive an address but do have the Mad Magazine Trump Special for you, so in all seriousness, send me the address and the book will be on its way to you with a big grin and compliments from me.

Rest assured no hit men or anything else will follow and the address of your secret bunker in the Adirondack mountains will stay safe with me.

I only send copies of such things to people I have amitie towards such as my brother so you should feel encouraged by my good intent here.

Clearly my joke about the asbestos jacket was just a wry antidote to your slightly cavalier dismissal of the risks of DDT etc.

Caco

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#137 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Just came across this photo in my files - my T-shirt from the days running up to Mugabe's election when we were on a UK Government contract there....Only worn when we got back home!

Rhodesia-T-Shirt.jpg
Rhodesia-T-Shirt.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 329 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Capetonian

#138 Post by Capetonian » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:52 pm

I still have a couple of old Rhodesia T-shirts.
Apart from the 'Rhodesia is Super' ones I also have one of these :

Unfortunately they have all shrunk over the years!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#139 Post by ian16th » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Cynicism improves with age

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#140 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:24 pm

RhodesiaWasSuper.JPG