Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Harry and Megan show

#121 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:52 am
Vividly remember lots of things:

My last marriage in Las Vegas (an absolute blast!)
Parade Commander for Princess Diana at RAF Wittering
Hearing news of her death
9/11 (coincided with my eldest daughter’s birthday and the news was breaking on UK TV as I was in the middle of my phone call to her)
My shock election as Shire President
Flight in the BBMF Lancaster

Etc etc

With envy! @-)

Caco

Sisemen

#122 Post by Sisemen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:43 am

It’s on YouTube! All I did was to ring up OC BBMF and ask for a trip! Did explain that I was about to leave the RAF and had been a Lancaster ‘nut’ since I did my first Airfix model as a kid :D

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#123 Post by BenThere » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 am

Anyway BenThere, doesn't the US Military use the dd mmm yyyy" format for correspondence?
Yes it does. I never gave much thought to the origin of that, and once I put on the uniform and learned to write my dates properly, it never occurred to me to disparage my civilian employers for writing their dates in American format. In the end, neither format is right or wrong. You just have to pay attention so as to not make a serious date mistake, as I did with my previous wife; but that's another story.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#124 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:58 am

BenThere wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 am

Yes it does. I never gave much thought to the origin of that, and once I put on the uniform and learned to write my dates properly, it never occurred to me to disparage my civilian employers for writing their dates in American format. In the end, neither format is right or wrong. You just have to pay attention so as to not make a serious date mistake, as I did with my previous wife; but that's another story.
In days of yore I heard of UK ex-pats being harassed by UK Customs for duty on 'old' items that had the US format date.

With the advent of PC's and smart phones, and knowing that 'American English' exists, this should be less of a problem.
Cynicism improves with age

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#125 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:23 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:58 am
BenThere wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 am

In days of yore I heard of UK ex-pats being harassed by UK Customs for duty on 'old' items that had the US format date.

With the advent of PC's and smart phones, and knowing that 'American English' exists, this should be less of a problem.
I think there was a court case in the US regarding a Swedish man who had died and someone was challenging the validity of his will because it was dated in the future. Except it wasn't, of course, it just used the European format, not the US one. I tend to use ISO-8601 now, even to the point (with the help of other fans) of getting to be the official standard for my employer.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#126 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 am

I was wondering when the press would pick up on the 'banana stunt'. What a stupid woman. Is she going to sign the ones they fire at you in Bangkok strip joints next.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rkers.html
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#127 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 pm

And it continues:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ather.html

This should never have been allowed to happen. She is not fit to be a Royal.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#128 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 pm
And it continues:

Because of the behaviour of her father?

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#129 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:45 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:30 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 pm
And it continues:

Because of the behaviour of her father?
In this ever escalating soap opera IMHO I feel that the whole scenario could have been prevented if the Duchess of Sussex had been willing to take advice from the Palace when it all started to get silly.She seems to have shot herself in the foot on this one unfortunately.
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#130 Post by om15 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:00 pm

I suspect that we ain't seen nothing yet.
We will have the gushing baby period, followed by affairs, trial separations, bride fleeing back to the US, high profile divorce, the additional publicity from a no holds barred US press will be interesting, with all the royal family secrets being blasted out 24/7 for the interested citizens of Arkansas.
With all the privileged benefits, wealth and pampered lifestyle they only have to behave properly to ensure the Royal Family remains dignified, but they can't do that, why on earth they failed to catch the warning signs of Fergie, Diana and now this latest bird goodness knows.

The Queen must be wringing her hands with it all, when she isn't tearing up driving licences that is.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#131 Post by BenThere » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:21 pm

That's the nature of the deal between the English and its royalty. The royal heirs are expected to select wisely those who they invite into the kingdom. When hormones prevail over wisdom, calamities occur. It has ever been thus, though I can't fault Queen Elizabeth in that regard.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#132 Post by Krystal n Chips » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:55 am

om15 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:00 pm
I suspect that we ain't seen nothing yet.
We will have the gushing baby period, followed by affairs, trial separations, bride fleeing back to the US, high profile divorce, the additional publicity from a no holds barred US press will be interesting, with all the royal family secrets being blasted out 24/7 for the interested citizens of Arkansas.
With all the privileged benefits, wealth and pampered lifestyle they only have to behave properly to ensure the Royal Family remains dignified, but they can't do that, why on earth they failed to catch the warning signs of Fergie, Diana and now this latest bird goodness knows.

The Queen must be wringing her hands with it all, when she isn't tearing up driving licences that is.
I would refer you to page 8 of the current "Private Eye " and the piece entitled "People's Punchbag " for clarity here.

Both the Mail and it's sister rag, the M.o.S are aware of their respective readers demographic and hence such stories are clearly intended to induce the mandatory appalled indignation....also helps with the circulation figures.....and lets be honest, Meghan is a refreshing change from the usual born and (in) bred gene pool from whence aspiring free loaders, c/o the tax payer, are selected.

But as I say, if yourself and others can force yourselves to part with a mere £2 here in the UK.. .(overseas readers dependent on their currency of choice and exchange rate ) plus identifying the issue in question....1489, they too may realise both rags have embarked on one of their virtuous crusades.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#133 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:38 pm

She has really blown it this time. Nearly 1/2 million quid for a party for the unborn child which could come out any colour. Private jets each way to New York when HMQ goes to Sandringham British Rail. Even HRH Prince Harry has been know to fly Squeezy Jet. OK obviously not across the pond but she could at least have gone commercial. Top hotel suites and restaurants. Don't care which of her friends were paying, it is not the point. The poor people who they are supposed to be supporting charities for are not going to see it that way. Stupid, very stupid. She must have been advised against it, but oh no, she is going to change the Royal family and will not take advise.

I bet HMQ is furious and HRH PP's comments unprintable.

Sooner they divorce the better.

Capetonian

#134 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Stupid. PP must be apoplectic with rage at the antics of his c***struck 'grandson'.

Sad for all concerned, except the one who will sail into the sunset with millions. I was tempted to say high class hooker, but the high class doesn't fit.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#135 Post by om15 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Meghan is a refreshing change from the usual born and (in) bred gene pool from whence aspiring free loaders, c/o the tax payer, are selected.
I suppose that the possibility of a ginger haired negro/negress in line for the throne may appeal to certain elements of our society, in a way I can understand that, but what I can't understand is why the Royal Family should plan this eventuality.
It is probably fortunate that most people are focusing on Brexit at the moment, if it was a quiet news day the papers would be full of all this.

Capetonian

#136 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:21 pm

She is certainly a change from the usual types. I would hardly use the word refreshing, I think depressing might be more appropriate.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#137 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:39 am

Capetonian wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:33 pm
Stupid. PP must be apoplectic with rage at the antics of his c***struck 'grandson'.

Sad for all concerned, except the one who will sail into the sunset with millions. I was tempted to say high class hooker, but the high class doesn't fit.
Tsk ! been over indulging in the (un-ripened ) lemon sorbet for dessert again perchance ?

Capetonian

#138 Post by Capetonian » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:10 am

What a bizarre question. Please explain your meaning, and any relevance, to the topic.

Don't get too stressed, I'm not expecting an answer, least of all a meaningful one, just your usual torrent of irrelevant snarky remarks and inane wittering. If it's more than 2 lines I won't read it anyway.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#139 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Krystal n Chips wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:39 am
Capetonian wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Tsk ! been over indulging in the (un-ripened ) lemon sorbet for dessert again perchance ?
KnC I do not understand either what you are going on about. Do you actually think that this woman, and I say 'Woman' not 'Lady', is fit to be a member of our Royal Family? I have great respect for 'The Firm' and was privileged and honoured to have been on their staff. I have never, never criticised a member of The Royal Family in my life until this half-caste, divorced, and divorced parents, Catholic (until she did a quick switch), American, actress with a totally dysfunctional family (exception mother) came on board. And, Cape's comment about 'hooker' is probably not far wrong. I wonder how many casting couches she has been on.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#140 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:16 pm

etc,

Is anyone else surprised that she can splash out £375k for 5 nights in NY for a baby shower, then jet off to Morocco with hubby?

Mrs PN, SRN, SCM retired, is surprised that any airline would fly her at this stage of her pregnancy.

Ex-Ascot, re-divorce, you missed 'twice'.