A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Harry and Megan show

#61 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:17 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:53 am
What a Royal set up. Protocol dictates that the man walks to the right of the lady unless of course walking on a pavement when he should always be on the road side. HMQ had told the two Duchesses to walk together in the middle.

Yes, quite right, as taught to me by mother who set much store by etiquette. She told me that it was to prevent the lady's skirt from being splashed with mud by the various charabancs and Edwardian carriages driving past over the cobbles in the rain, which was a bit odd in 1970's South Africa as I never did see a cobbled street or a charabanc or carriage, Edwardian or otherwise, there. Of course, this advice runs counter sometimes to the need to keep one's sword arm free to run through any villain, ruffian, mountebank or cad who would dare steal from or impugn the honour of the good lady on one's arm.

I suspect she got all this stuff from her grandfather, a military man and a disciplinarian, infamous for meeting his daughter, 21 years old of age, in the street and walking up to her and using his pocket handkerchief to publicly wipe the faint hint of lipstick off her mouth with a "I will not see any daughter of mine daubed like a common harlot!"

I guess this is why she insisted on sending me to a boys school that wore boaters and where you could be savagely caned for not doffing your boater to male teachers and removing it completely in the presence of ladies. The boater was much hated by all of us and often used as a frisbee but now missed by me in a nostalgic, whimsical kind of way for the discipline it engendered amongst the savages that boys are at that tender age.

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#62 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:59 am

Caco:
I guess this is why she insisted on sending me to a boys school that wore boaters and where you could be savagely caned for not doffing your boater to male teachers and removing it completely in the presence of ladies. The boater was much hated by all of us and often used as a frisbee but now missed by me in a nostalgic, whimsical kind of way for the discipline it engendered amongst the savages that boys are at that tender age.
Boaters, bloody boaters. You had it lucky. Look what Wodders and I had to wear. And, on Founder's day as can be seen you had to carry a posy of flowers. Imagine walking through Manchester dressed like that today. Mind you as a sixth former if you walked into a pub in the traditional uniform you would instantly be bought a drink for bravery.
Attachments
tudor.jpg
tudor.jpg (69.38 KiB) Viewed 532 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:21 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:59 am
Caco:
Boaters, bloody boaters. You had it lucky. Look what Wodders and I had to wear. And, on Founder's day as can be seen you had to carry a posy of flowers. Imagine walking through Manchester dressed like that today. Mind you as a sixth former if you walked into a pub in the traditional uniform you would instantly be bought a drink for bravery.
Yes, I see what you mean! Wearing an ensemble like that must have taken great strength of character and fortitude, not least when suffering the taunting of various scallywags and urchins in the streets of Manchester. I suppose that having a posy to hand when one's patience and self-restraint finally crumbled wasn't all bad in that one could shove the posies up the arses of one's tormentors at least. =))

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#64 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:40 am

Good 'point' Caco. Maybe that was why mother was astute enough to put a few roses in.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:51 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:40 am
Good 'point' Caco. Maybe that was why mother was astute enough to put a few roses in.
Ah the Tudor rose!

What school did you attend and do they still wear the traditional garb, even if only on founders and saints days?

I note you mentioned Wodrick. Were you contemporaries? I know of one esteemed ops-normaliser who attended one of the same faith based schools here in the UK that I attended in South Africa?

Caco

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by Wodrick » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:34 pm

We both attended Chetham's in Manchester. I finished as he was starting being a few years older than him.
I dunno if they still do the Tudor Uniform thing as the ethos of the school has changed in the last 40 years or so.
When I was there it was a boy's school. During ExA's time they allowed girls and then it transmogrified into Chetham's school of Music.
It always had a musical bent with a fine orchestra and providing the Cathedral choir but the empahasis is much more towards music now.

The walk to the Free Trade Hall for Founder's Day was not too bad in the sixties, as ExA says dropping into a pub or two on the way back :-bd

I don't expect it is much fun now if done at all.

Just had a quick "Giggle" and there is much twittering about founder's day 2017 wearing the kit, which looks better on the girls :)
So it seems they do.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:34 pm
We both attended Chetham's in Manchester. I finished as he was starting being a few years older than him.
I dunno if they still do the Tudor Uniform thing as the ethos of the school has changed in the last 40 years or so.
When I was there it was a boy's school. During ExA's time they allowed girls and then it transmogrified into Chetham's school of Music.
It always had a musical bent with a fine orchestra and providing the Cathedral choir but the empahasis is much more towards music now.

The walk to the Free Trade Hall for Founder's Day was not too bad in the sixties, as ExA says dropping into a pub or two on the way back :-bd

I don't expect it is much fun now if done at all.

Just had a quick "Giggle" and there is much twittering about founder's day 2017 wearing the kit, which looks better on the girls :)
So it seems they do.
I had a look too and agree that the the girls do grace the uniform. It is interesting to see how a grammar school morphed into a centre of musical excellence. Both schools I went to were boys schools that are now co-educational. Is that a good thing I wonder?

I see that Christ's Hospital School have retained the wearing of the Tudor uniform at all times. No bad thing at all to my mind...

https://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/abo ... e-uniform/
3150 Bluecoat Boy with Hall 1854.jpg
Caco

Sisemen

#68 Post by Sisemen » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:19 pm

We also had to suffer the indignities of wearing traditional uniform at school. Well I remember the indignities we suffered at the annual prize giving and dinner at the Conservative Club in town where the club members tried to persuade us into a banking, insurance or medical career rather than the more prestigious mining or street cleaning professions.

Here’s a pic of our class outside the Humanities Block ready for the pilgrimage to the prize giving.

58CB86E9-EFDF-4AE1-AA1B-557F7526C818.jpeg

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:19 pm
We also had to suffer the indignities of wearing traditional uniform at school. Well I remember the indignities we suffered at the annual prize giving and dinner at the Conservative Club in town where the club members tried to persuade us into a banking, insurance or medical career rather than the more prestigious mining or street cleaning professions.

Here’s a pic of our class outside the Humanities Block ready for the pilgrimage to the prize giving.

"Please SIr, can I have some more..." =))

You villain.

Caco

Beef Raiser
ATPL
ATPL

#70 Post by Beef Raiser » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Mr Chips Sir,

I'm still waiting to read your response to post #53. If you have retired from the debate then fair enough.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Beef Raiser wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:44 pm
Mr Chips Sir,

I'm still waiting to read your response to post #53. If you have retired from the debate then fair enough.
What with all this talk of old schools etc. I thought the comment "Goodbye Mr Chips" might be apposite...

Caco

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#72 Post by Krystal n Chips » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:58 am

Beef Raiser wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:44 pm
Mr Chips Sir,

Mr Beefer, you'll excuse for saying your usual astute, well sometimes, reasoning has alluded you as by now I am sure you are aware of my views on hunting and those who do so for psychologically disturbed pleasure in contrast to those who do so as a fact of everyday life. There's a significant difference.

A quick apology though to Ex A re my late Uncle. Very little info available I'm afraid, but, he does get mentioned in the book "Okavango " if this helps.

I am more intrigued by the references to Chethams however. We used to play them at rugby and they were always very sporting, the ground was adjacent to Strangeways I seem to recall .....and not forgetting an honourable mention for God's Chosen Brewery at this point...compared to say Burnage or Audenshaw or St Ambrose in Hale Barnes. I wasn't aware though of the little, well not that little in terms of distance really, ambulation to the Free Trade Hall however.

There is even the possibility I may have met some of you in that era.

Many on here will be appalled to learn I have enjoyed Afternoon Tea in the current usage of said Hall however....I know....terrible drop in standards for the Radisson chain !

Beef Raiser
ATPL
ATPL

#73 Post by Beef Raiser » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:57 pm

Having spent a few days as a beater for a local shoot, I can say in all honesty that none of the participants are in any way "disturbed". It appears to be a favourite story put about by those who have a vested interest in cultivating misconceptions and dividing people over imaginary issues such as class division (whatever that may be).

Now that fox hunting is banned (hurrah !), are those who participate in drag hunting "psychologically disturbed" ? What about fishing where the catch is released back into the water ? Strangely, the loony left tend to ignore that demographic. The principals are broadly similar but without an easy "us and them" distinction with which to score points.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Beef Raiser wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:57 pm
Having spent a few days as a beater for a local shoot, I can say in all honesty that none of the participants are in any way "disturbed". It appears to be a favourite story put about by those who have a vested interest in cultivating misconceptions and dividing people over imaginary issues such as class division (whatever that may be).

Now that fox hunting is banned (hurrah !), are those who participate in drag hunting "psychologically disturbed" ? What about fishing where the catch is released back into the water ? Strangely, the loony left tend to ignore that demographic. The principals are broadly similar but without an easy "us and them" distinction with which to score points.
Kicking off your defence by denigrating those who might disagree with you as "looney" is hardly the way to win hearts and minds and certainly could also be indicative of the attempted points scoring that you attribute to others mind you. Not all animals rights people or indeed, anti hunt people, are leftwing by the way and none of them are necessarily loonies.

I am not suggesting that all people who hunt are psychologically disturbed, but this predilection for blood sports is indicative of a certain lack of understanding of other sentient creatures, including human beings, and it is a fact that one of the signs attributed to being a potential psychopath or sociopath is the enjoyment of hurting and killing animals etc. and that is a fact.

For the record I am not against shooting birds or fishing for the pot but I am underwhelmed by the types you meet at these organised shoots etc. who mistake utility for fahion and other forms of mindless social status and all the other bull that goes with that.

Fox hunting is no better than bear baiting to my mind and the people who indulge in such are generally contemptible.

Caco

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by Wodrick » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:10 pm

the ground was adjacent to Strangeways I seem to recall
Further on up Bury New Road and Hang a right to the top of Waterloo road.

As it is today :
Capture.JPG

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#76 Post by Krystal n Chips » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:45 pm

Beef Raiser wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:57 pm

Well if you style yourself as a "hardcore huntress " and duly dispatch sheep and goats, clearly most rational people would, without recourse to professional medical opinion, accurately diagnose she's psychologically disturbed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-45967845

Fishing is an enigma really...quite what induces people to sit on the banks of a canal or pool in all weathers with a rod that looks like it would be more applicable to deep sea fishing is beyond me, but, it's a very popular pastime I believe. Fishing for trout or salmon is a shade different as even I know and I can confirm fresh salmon is delicious but gets a bit repetitive after a few days, no matter how you cook it. This based on an "unfortunate misunderstanding " in a hotel near a well known Scottish wave site, one not overly fond of GSA clientele at the time, but more aligned to the bloated hooray henry's straddling four bar stools and opining about the world and ourselves. Thus we retired from this charming hostelry......alas, there in the foyer was the result of their fly fishing skills, laid out for all to admire......the pair of sea boot socks also left conveniently on display fitted me perfectly I should add.

Wodrick...thanks for the location directions...could have sworn the ground was nearer to Strangeways though.....however, a question please. Which route did you take to the FTH please ?...surely not up an always gridlocked Deansgate, even then, before hanging a left so to speak, and almost permanently now since some "inspired thunking " came up with the idea of giving priority to arterial routes crossing Deansgate.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#77 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:53 am

Wodders, I thought that it was Cheetham Hill?!

Anyway back to the thread:
In recent weeks rumours of a rift between the Duchesses of Cambridge and Sussex have been rife, but it seems that Kate and Meghan managed to put any differences aside in the spirit of Christmas.

The sister-in-laws are said to have enjoyed a game of Scrabble together on the big day according to new reports.
'Tell me darling how does one spell 'cannabis'. 'Not sure honey, how many t's in 'bitch'.
The Duchess of Sussex's half-sister Samantha Markle has been placed on a 'fixated persons' list over the risks she poses of embarrassing the Royal family.

Samantha, 53, who lives in Florida, has made a string of public snipes at Meghan since she was not invited to the Royal Wedding earlier this year.

The Duchess's protection officers are understood to have briefed Scotland Yard detectives over the the damage Samantha could cause to the Royal family's reputation.
This whole thing should never have been allowed to happen. I think that HRH Prince William has been very verbal about it in house. HRH PP probably just said 'nice tits'.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by Wodrick » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Ascers, top of Waterloo rd IS Cheetham Hill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#79 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:10 pm
Ascers, top of Waterloo rd IS Cheetham Hill.
OK, it seemed to take hours to get there in the old school bus. Shoveling the coal into the boiler. Twas tough. Then they made you play dangerous games there like rugby or cricket. Why not croquet or just solitaire. Don't know how we survived.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by Wodrick » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Bus? Bus? we were supposed to run ..............