A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The Harry and Megan show

#81 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:20 pm
Bus? Bus? we were supposed to run ..............
Sorry old chap, forgot you were five years ahead of me. Maybe we passed you in the bus. =))
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#82 Post by Capetonian » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 am

I see in one of this morning's rags that although Megan is not vegan ( ..... should I have been a poet?) or vegetarian she states that she 'dislikes unnecessary cruelty to animals'. At least she's not joining the 'look at me and see how virtuous I am' veganism bandwagon.

Kate on the other hand apparently does believe in shooting down birds and animals.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#83 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:16 pm

....her lavish collection of designer bags, which this year totalled £37,052. Givenchy Triple Leather black cross body bag £850; Fendi Peekaboo Essentials bag £3,850; Altuzarra black Ghianda Saddle bag £1,260; Givenchy Black Satin Clutch £1,500; Victoria Beckham Powder Box bag £1,550.
Mrs Ex-Ascot has this canvas bag she lugs around everywhere all around the world, never separated from it, State Banquets, Ascot, First class lounges, the works. Renews it every three years or so when it gets absolutely disgusting. Always the same type of bag just different Greek cats or donkeys. 10 Euros. Always a big woolly cardigan in it just in case the temperature drops below 40.
Attachments
bag.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:12 am

The words "Victoria Beckham" induce projectile vomiting. I see the tattooed sir husband has separated his company from hers after the latter lost five million (or possibly five billion) last year.

Mrs OFSO has a large collection of bags but always used old faithful which zips up to thwart (so far) grasping little hands in M&S and Waitrose.

Sisemen

#85 Post by Sisemen » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:09 pm

I have a large collection of bags. Fortunately the last two didn’t cost me a fortune in maintenance!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#86 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:39 am

OFSO wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:12 am
The words "Victoria Beckham" induce projectile vomiting. I see the tattooed sir husband has separated his company from hers after the latter lost five million (or possibly five billion) last year.

Mrs OFSO has a large collection of bags but always used old faithful which zips up to thwart (so far) grasping little hands in M&S and Waitrose.
OFSO, presume that you don't mean he has been knighted. He blew that one. Or did I miss summat? Thought he only had 'One Boiled Egg'. Wore that on the wrong side at the Royal wedding as well.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#87 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:16 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... oyals.html

How can anyone spend so much on clothes? I don't think I spend more than 50 quid a year. Mrs Ex-Ascot maybe slightly more but not much.

OK we live in rags at home and just short sleeve shirt and shorts when out. My suits worn very rarely are 30 years old. Actually an exception is footwear. We have pretty expensive sandals essential in the bush and the mountains of Amorgos.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#88 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:15 pm

A short while ago, the decidedly emotive issue, or rather criminal offence to put matters into perspective, concerning fox hunting got a passing mention on here.

Thus some of you will be delighted to learn there are those stalwart and law abiding citizens who feel they are above the law....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-46774733

Have to say, one of the most entertaining sights and a "oh for a camera " moment concerned a hunt in Chesheer ( BBC announcers pronunciation ) The traffixc in front of me suddenly started to brake sharply......due to an obese arrogant tosser on a horse stopping the traffic....as you have the right to do it seems when hunting. This corpulent cretin was gesticulating at all the traffic, and shouting, for everybody to stop.....which people were doing anyway. What happened next was a like a cartoon ......porky had no spatial or situational awareness, or, he may have seen the overhanging branch.....slowly, but surely, after contact was made, this fatberg mounted on a horse duly landed back on the ground.....the horse, being considerably more intelligent than the rider, looked round and down in whatever the equestrian equivalent of "serves you right you fat t2£t !".......porky was not happy with the howls of laugher from several motorists.....Karma as they say

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by ian16th » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:52 pm

What does the Highway Code say these days about horses and other road users?
Cynicism improves with age

Sisemen

#90 Post by Sisemen » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:51 pm

It’s all about the class divide isn’t it K&C? It’s got feck all to do with the animals or anything else - it’s all about what you perceive to be the “arrogant toffs” sticking it to the proletariat. Says more about you than anything else.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:51 pm
It’s all about the class divide isn’t it K&C? It’s got feck all to do with the animals or anything else - it’s all about what you perceive to be the “arrogant toffs” sticking it to the proletariat. Says more about you than anything else.
D'ye ken John Peel,?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:56 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Death to the aristo's. Death to the Scarlet Fingernail.

All power to the Judean People's Front. Animal and lentil rights uber alles!

=))

Caco

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by om15 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:33 pm

A trail hunt is perfectly legal, if a fox is daft enough to join in and end up rather inconvenienced then tough luck. The old bird blubbing to the bored looking police lady should have left the chewed remains in the canal.
Yes it is a class thing, rather like monocled gentry driving up to a whippet fest in their Bentleys and interfering with the hourly paid, that doesn't happen for the simple reason that what people do in their leisure hours is their business.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Class as in townie or country. Lots of people will follow a hunt, seek potentially advantageous observation points and enjoy the spectacle. Similarly others may be indifferent to both the spectacle and the fate of the fox.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#95 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:57 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Sorry to shatter your delusion here. It has everything to do with animals and unwarranted animal cruelty. It's not a "sport " in even the loosest sense of the term and like any form of hunting for pleasure, it's just barbarity to assuage an intrinsic human desire for violence which, despite the veneer of being civilised, remains a prominent genetic trait of human beings.

I am passionately in support of negating animal cruelty, both for domestic and wild animals.

The "class divide " ?....well it may be far less open than in times past, but, this is one of those great British traditions that will live on irrespective of changes taking place in society. That, and hunting has. for many, some sort of social kudos....same as plonking your backside at Wimbles and paying a fortune for two strawberries and 1cc of cream, or sitting in the members stand at Lords, or toddling off to Henley.....there are a few more I could name.

Those who have been born and (in)bred into wealth and privilege are entitled to this life, until, that is, they decide to impose themselves on people who have not been and assume they have some sort of mantle of superiority that allows them to act as they please.

The Highway Code says you should give way to riders on horseback and to slow down so as not to spook the horse and this I have always done. Responsible riders invariably acknowledge this action politely as do I in return.

The Highway Code says nothing, that I am aware of, about a bloated pompous arrogant lump of fat and gristle riding into the road, wheeling the horse round and round, gesticulating and shouting at drivers to Stop ! .....before, as I said, arriving back on earth with a suitable splat. Bit like that shot of Eugene really when Eugene was shown prancing around some obscure South African hamlet and the horse decide "sod this, yer off..now! ".....which he was.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:00 pm

I guess an entirely predictable response to mine, but I wouldn't know 😆

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:55 pm

The Highway Code says nothing, that I am aware of, about a bloated pompous arrogant lump of fat and gristle riding into the road, wheeling the horse round and round, gesticulating and shouting at drivers to Stop !
How do you know he didn't have permission to do so?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by John Hill » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:14 am

About this lardy butt on the horse, was he actually on the road? How tall was the horse? What class of road was it that there were overhanging branches low enough to unseat a horseman?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#99 Post by Krystal n Chips » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:54 am

John Hill wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:14 am
About this lardy butt on the horse, was he actually on the road? How tall was the horse? What class of road was it that there were overhanging branches low enough to unseat a horseman?
Fair question, although I'm not given to fantasy.

The road in question runs past Astbury golf club. Astbury is just outside Congleton in Cheshire to save you wondering and I had relatives who lived in Mossley at the time. This event occurred in the 80's by the way.

The road isn't classed as a " B" road, but a lane and it's very well used. The road is metalled and maintained It's also, relatively speaking, narrow. This has a relevance.

I used the term branch in a general sense, possibly I should have said "branches " rather than suggest one solid branch. The reason fatso fell off was that he was prancing all over the road, whilst trying to control the traffic and making a pigs ear of doing so. His encounter with the branches, or foliage if you prefer, came as a surprise, albeit a nice one I have to say for the unwilling spectators and maybe it was the sudden realisation of his encounter that caused him to swivel in an attempt to miss them.....as I said, it all happened in glorious and comedic slow motion.

Regarding horses, I know what a Shetland pony looks like, what a shire horse and race horse looks like but thereafter haven't a clue as to other breeds. All I know was it was quite big and sturdy.....the poor thing had to be to carry that obese mass on its back.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 am

Krystal n Chips wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:54 am
This event occurred in the 80's by the way.