The Harry and Megan show

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
k3k3
Capt
Capt

Re: The Harry and Megan show

#101 Post by k3k3 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:31 am

I don't think anybody remembers me for something I did thirty years ago...

Capetonian

#102 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 am

1988. I know where I was living and what I was doing, running a couple of small businesses of my own, but I doubt if anyone else would remember me for that. Possibly whoever I was in a relationship with then but I can't even remember who it was in 1988!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#103 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:10 pm

The last few years are a blank to me. However the further back I think the clearer things get. Can remember the names and faces of lads at the GPO where I worked in 1961....

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#104 Post by Krystal n Chips » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:20 pm

Even allowing for natural degenerative processes to take place, I'm reasonably certain most people can remember specific events in their lives...those that stand out perhaps ?...like sharing a thermal with a professional pilot, an eagle, one day over 31Sqn Bruggen for example.....so I've never had need to recourse to fantasy.

And, while I am very fortunate to be in very good health, slightly high BP aside, some of us have always looked after our minds and bodies and continue to do so being both mentally and physically active. .

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#105 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:55 pm

But Krystal, you're as mad as a box of frogs dear boy!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#106 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:55 pm
But Krystal, you're as mad as a box of frogs dear boy!

But Atom, "Komm schon, wer ist gesund?" =))

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#107 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:49 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... Diana.html

Who does this Burrell chap thinks he is? He was a servant for goodness sake not a Private Secretary. Met him many times, very pleasant but why doesn't he keep his mouth shut. Trouble is you pay peanuts and get monkeys. Not helped when chat shows invite him to blab. It is just not done.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#108 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:49 pm
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... Diana.html

Who does this Burrell chap thinks he is? He was a servant for goodness sake not a Private Secretary. Met him many times, very pleasant but why doesn't he keep his mouth shut. Trouble is you pay peanuts and get monkeys. Not helped when chat shows invite him to blab. It is just not done.
Burrell always struck me an unctuous sycophant when he wound up on television, as he so often seemed to do, post the Dianna crash whispering how he was "her rock". Something oily and untrustworthy about the bloke. Not solid, not solid at all!

More of a cock than a rock.
Burrell was married to Maria Cosgrove, who formerly worked for Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. The pair met while working in Buckingham Palace together. They have two sons, Alexander and Nicholas. When they married in 1983, established precedent dictated that one of them would have to give up their job with the Royal Family, but Queen Elizabeth II made an exception for them, allowing both to remain in Royal service. This situation earned them a measure of fame at the time.

In 2017, Burrell announced he was marrying his partner Graham Cooper.

Burrell is a fan of Wrexham Football Club[6] and St Helens Rugby Football Club
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Burrell

At least he is a rugby fan. =))

Whatever happened to the Jeeves school of butlers, when a chap could be sure that his man would keep mum?

Caco

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#109 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:35 pm

Caco, sadly true. My PA worked for me but was employed by my contractor. I expected Chinese walls but sadly my trust and expectation was misplaced.

Capetonian

#110 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Meghan spent £431k on new clothing in the year she became a duchess - compared to Kate's £55k in 2011
Which one always looks elegant and which one looks cheap and tacky?

Reminds me of Dolly Parton's famous quip:
"It's cost me a lot of money to look this cheap."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#111 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:37 am

Now her PPO has quit. She will never understand the role.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... s-job.html
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#112 Post by BenThere » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:25 pm

I'm reasonably certain most people can remember specific events in their lives
There are many snippets I recall clearly, even though they had little impact on my life, such as making my first great catch in the outfield in baseball Little League at 8 years old, my friend riding his bicycle into a car while he was ogling a girl at 13, my girlfriend at 16 telling me she loved me, etc.

But there are three, and only three, long past events that I remember in detail - where I was, what I was doing, who I was with, how I felt, etc.:

John F. Kennedy's assassination
The explosion and disintegration of space shuttle Challenger
The events of 9/11

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#113 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:37 pm

BenThere wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:25 pm
I'm reasonably certain most people can remember specific events in their lives
Thread drift - for which I apologise -when I listen to a piece of music (usually what was at the time a 'pop' song), I can vividly remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time.
One example - I was building a model car, partly from a kit and partly from my own parts to my own design (using plasticene). It was a Lola MkVI GT (which became the Ford GT40.
End of drift.

Capetonian

#114 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:08 am

John F. Kennedy's assassination
In my bedroom at my parents' house, late afternoon, just back from school, playing with a short wave radio. I was 10, supposed to be doing homework I suppose.

The explosion and disintegration of space shuttle Challenger
Oddly enough, I have no recall whatsoever of what I was doing or where I was.

The events of 9/11
Running a seminar at work, got an email from someone saying 'did you hear about the guy that flew a plane into a skyscraper in NYC?' and thought it was a joke so ignored it. Moments later, heard various phones beeping and one of my delegates announced in a broad Scots accent : "Wha' the fu** is this aboot. Canna be true."

We had an auditorium and someone hooked up CNN onto widescreen and we sat in disbelief and watched the events unfold, with a sense of unreality.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#115 Post by Woody » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:44 am

They’re in ribrashs neck of the woods today!
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Sisemen

#116 Post by Sisemen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:52 am

Vividly remember lots of things:

My last marriage in Las Vegas (an absolute blast!)
Parade Commander for Princess Diana at RAF Wittering
Hearing news of her death
9/11 (coincided with my eldest daughter’s birthday and the news was breaking on UK TV as I was in the middle of my phone call to her)
My shock election as Shire President
Flight in the BBMF Lancaster

Etc etc

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#117 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Folks, the twin towers disaster did not take place on the Ninth of November it was the Eleventh of September. Just because the Yanks can't get dates right the civilised world should at least make an attempt to.

HRH The Princess of Wales - driving into Burford for a loaf of bread.

Capetonian

#118 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:30 pm

because the Yanks can't get dates right the civilised world should at least make an attempt to.
See 'rant of the day.'

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#119 Post by BenThere » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:25 am

Just because the Yanks can't get dates right the civilised world should at least make an attempt to.
We have different conventions as regards dates. Stand back and ask yourself if your statement is a bit chauvinistic and patronizing, implying that you're civilized and we're not.

Don't worry, though, I've learned, as an American, to let the quibbles of our lessers fall like water off a duck's back. See, I can patronize, too!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#120 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:52 pm

BenThere wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:25 am
Just because the Yanks can't get dates right the civilised world should at least make an attempt to.
We have different conventions as regards dates. Stand back and ask yourself if your statement is a bit chauvinistic and patronizing, implying that you're civilized and we're not.

Don't worry, though, I've learned, as an American, to let the quibbles of our lessers fall like water off a duck's back. See, I can patronize, too!
I once had a date with an American girl and she wasn't all arse before tit, she was distinctly ISO 8601! Anyway BenThere, doesn't the US Military use the dd mmm yyyy" format for correspondence?

Caco