Private Pike the Defence Secretary

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Private Pike the Defence Secretary

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:50 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... etary.html

Brilliant. What on earth was the PM thinking when she appointed this kid as Secretary of State for Defence. Was he even a boy scout? What on earth does he know about the military? He hasn't even got a decent degree from a decent university. Even Sleepy Fred was ex-military, albeit a Sgt and spent most of his time as a POW.

Where are all these guys now? https://www.ft.com/content/353a6ace-356 ... 1debd57852
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Private Pike the Defence Secretary

#2 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:58 am

Another Tory turd who floated to the top at the bottom of the bowl. On the make with no experience, no clue and no hope, save for advancing his career and making a lot of money for himself in the long run!

Caco

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:08 am

It's rather naive to assume that a minister in charge of any portfolio would have experience or knowledge of the topic. That's just not how politics works. It's more about cronyism, faces that fit, and tongues that lick.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:21 am

I am not sure if experience on the matters of one's department makes one a good secretary. For instance I know a case where the national health system was designed by a doctor (a surgeon) and it was judged as a failure. A civil engineer was then appointed secretary for health and the result was much better. I don't have some data to post here but it is the common feeling. Similarly a former Air Force officer was not the brightest Secretary of State for Defence - not that we had many good ones. I am repeating what Capetonian is saying in a more romantic way.

It is much more important to be willing to listen and question rather than have experience. Obviously your new Secretary lacks both.

Sisemen

#5 Post by Sisemen » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 am

He’s fighting for a bigger defence share of the budget - as an ex RAF officer I can find nothing wrong in that.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 am

The fact that the UK military apparatus (all services) is being run down to wrack and ruin can't be disputed. Britain is no longer a real military or diplomatic power on the world stage.

Oh well Edith, we can still go out for a prawn cocktail and have a warm bitter at The Backwards Arms!

Caco