Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Disruption.

#461 Post by Boac » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:25 am

Slasher

#462 Post by Slasher » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:35 am

Shouldn’t that Exstinktion rebellion rabble be in Greenland curing it then?

Slasher

#463 Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:42 am

Warning: swearing ‘n sh!t.

=))

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#464 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:41 am

I would have though Momentum were all Left c#nts..

..or is everyone in the Labour Party voting against Corbyn now? ;)))

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#465 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:40 am

This climate alarmism is beginning to resemble mass hysteria.

It's got so much momentum now, that common sense is being drowned out and dissent has been suppressed.

Oh well, it's definitely a first world problem.

Knock yourselves out if it makes you happy.

Most of the world is plugging on as before, and quietly laughing.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#466 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:58 am

Slasher wrote:Shouldn’t that Exstinktion rebellion rabble be in Greenland curing it then?Shouldn’t that Exstinktion rebellion rabble be in Greenland curing it then?
- I think you have missed the point of their 'campaign' - I don't think they are trying 'cure' anything but to bring what they consider to be an issue to the great un-washed's attention. To 'go' to Greenland to 'cure' it would entail massive investment in cooling of the permafrost, which would not fit with their views?

This 'happening' in Greenland is indicative of the changes in climate we are experiencing, whether you like it or not.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#467 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:04 am

Boac,
So the climate is supposed to stay exactly as it is then?
If the natural trend is to warm (or cool) are we opposed to it?
Have we somehow gained the means to control the temperature of the Earth?

We'd do better to conserve resources as best we can, deal with some of the many problems which we really DO have control over, and adapt to any changes- which we have demonstrated over thousands of years, that we can.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#468 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:53 am

Atom - I think you have misunderstood my post? Slasher asked why they didn't go and protest in Greenland.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#469 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:26 am

Boac.
It was really the last line in your post that prompted my reply.

I've concluded you are a supporter of these idiot greens, but if that's a mistake please accept my apology.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#470 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:31 am

Apology accepted, Atom, but unlike some I do accept the world climate is changing. However, I carry no flags for these folk, though I believe there are some who do not understand what is happening and need to accept it. Global temperatures are currently 'warming' and sea levels are rising as part of a cyclical change, though some even deny that.

As you posted,
This climate alarmism is beginning to resemble mass hysteria.

It's got so much momentum now, that common sense is being drowned out and dissent has been suppressed.
The problem is that polarisation has been caused by the 'extremities', that is both the rabid deniers and the rabid doom-sayers, such that rational, balanced thinking is suppressed and any attempt to discuss the issues results in one being 'branded', as demonstrated.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#471 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:49 am

Boac.
The climate is changing. It is always changing.
It has warmed between 0.6 and 0.8C in the last 100 years or so.
Did you know that?

That's all! About half of one degree plus or minus the measuring error, plus or minus whatever part of that temp change would have happened without mankind, or naturally.

It simply isn't a big deal.

The left and the Greenies have hijacked the issue for political purposes, and well meaning but gullible people have fallen for it in their millions.

Slasher

#472 Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:53 am
Atom - I think you have misunderstood my post? Slasher asked why they didn't go and protest in Greenland.
Boac my question was tongue in cheek.

A sudden damn good bloody war would cure that ER **** overnight. If those morons can’t return to reality they deserve to be casualties. Darwin and all that.

Fortunately us in non-First World countries don’t have to put up with that ER sh!t. Nor does it get coverage on local TV. Maybe a small mention on page 10 (Int’l news) of the local rag.

Sisemen

#473 Post by Sisemen » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:27 pm

Sea levels rising? Tell that to the Maldivians who were supposed to be under water 20 years ago.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#474 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:10 pm

Pict: Explore.org
Mother and cubs heading out onto the ice from Churchill, MB.
The bears are out following the third freeze up in a row earlier than the norm in the 1980s. In fact, mother-and-cub groups are usually the last to leave.
Number of bear incidents in Churchill is less than half last year's.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#475 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Atom wrote:Did you know that?

That's all! About half of one degree plus or minus the measuring error, plus or minus whatever part of that temp change would have happened without mankind, or naturally.
I won't argue any figures, because everyone has their own - on both sides.
Atom wrote:It simply isn't a big deal.
Not sure I said it was? What I posted was
Global temperatures are currently 'warming
. I trust you do not dispute that, any more than you would, presumably, have disputed global cooling during the ice ages - or would you?
Atom wrote:The left and the Greenies have hijacked the issue for political purposes,
Indeed - anyone mentioned Mr Gore?

Slasher - the way Humpty's life is going, he may well need to start one, so your wishes may come true.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#476 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:14 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:49 am
and well meaning but gullible people have fallen for it in their millions.
Here in Australia it's not yet what has been considered our bushfire season, still Spring. So far we have lost more homes, 500 this year, significantly more than the total for any previous bushfire season, and this is before it starts.

A group of twenty plus senior firefighting executives, with truly massive experience, have seen fit to point out to the PM that our climate has changed drastically, and that they believe that exporting coal potentially fueling greater change is having a serious detrimental effect on the country as a whole.

To suggest that people who have had their homes razed, and those in charge of preventing more, are gullible is indicative of the gross stupidity of those uttering such statements.

Australia is on FIRE.

For us Climate Change is for real, not some academic flim flam.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#477 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Gullible is unfair, since a large number of scientists and governments have stated what they think is the cause.
However, the argument is not whether climate change is happening, but how big it really is and whether human CO2 generation is significantly responsible.
If AGW is not significant, then the vast sums being spent on reducing human CO2 generation are being completely wasted, and no reduction in wildfires will result. Indeed, were some of that money to be spent on further measures which are known to reduce wildfires, which it probably would be, then the AGW expenditure is doubly bad.
It's the same principle as expediently finding someone guilty in the case of an horrific murder. Initial anger and fear are assuaged, but the real killer is still out there, AND nobody is now officially looking for them.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#478 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:54 pm

There are never any guarantees with forecasting the future. So Fox, the question is do we try and do something about it now whilst we can, or do we ignore it until it's too late? Risk analysis is about about assessing the probabilities and their associated costs.

I've lived through more than enough "doom and gloom" scenarios to recognise their impact. My earliest being the Soviets nuking the UK at the drop of the proverbial hat. Was the expense of mounting our own deterrent worthwhile? There are many here who would believe that it was very worthwhile, whilst those with a different background would disagree. CND campaigners for instance. In hindsight was it a good thing?

Excessive cleanliness post WWII led to the polio epidemics. The discovery of antibiotics forecast a bright new disease free future for all mankind. Yet only now are we discovering the downside. The obesity epidemic with all it's attendant ramifications is believed to be a side effect of antibiotic use on the gut biome. Killing off both the bad and good bacteria. In hindsight were they good things?

We can never know whether a choice of action is the best or not until after the event. We can only make decisions based on a personal assessment of the risks and costs incurred. Irrespective of the science, I believe that cleaning up the masses of human generated pollution is a good thing. Air pollution in Beijing and Delhi for example. If the masses need a doom and gloom scenario then so be it.

I shudder at the thought of David Attenborough docos showing whales with mouths wide open scooping up hopefully krill, but in actuality plastic debris which will kill them. I personally believe that our once blue planet is rapidly becoming a dirty grey one. We need to clean up our act whilst we still can.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#479 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:59 pm

I understand the points you make, and agree with the general sentiments. However, the following points need to be made in response.
1. Do something about what?
If you mean controlling the climate in general, forget it, humanity is incapable at present.
If you mean do something about AGW, then you presumes that it exists, which is the main point at issue. You are begging the question.
2. The obesity epidemic is people eating more calories than they expend. I've just rebuild a huge barn roof, and I'm a lot lighter than when I started. It's that simple.
3. I'm glad you mention Dehli and Beijing. Guess who's generating huge amounts of CO2 (China is more than twice the USA) and doing basically f-all about it?
4. It's not just a doom-and-gloom scenario, we are talking global economic collapse. And I suggest you got take a look at how sustainable people are in shanty towns before you suggest this would lead to better conditions. I'm not being melodramatic here. I can give you a very long list of measures taken by governments which totally undermine the principles they claim. It's not just 'left hand not knowing what right hand is doing', it's because governments are controlled by big business, who want the status quo, and politicians making promises to the public to get re-elected. My own provincial government, for example (and we are the greenest province in Canada in every sense), exempted heating oil from tax but included solar-generated electricity. Why? Because they'd not have been re-elected otherwise, because most people use heating oil and can't afford any new taxes. So, in order to fund AGW initiatives, governments basically just print money. This will lead to global economic collapse. Governments are giving up the pretense that they will ever run a balanced budget, much less pay off the debt, and the end result will be the same as if you or I tried that.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#480 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:57 pm

Alison.
I think we all sympathise with the situation in Aus, but the fact that you are having a hot dry period, does not mean that AGW is happening.

Boac.
Sure. Like most believers, you don't know any of the numbers, but that 0.6-0.8 C over the last 100 years is the number produced by those who advocate AGW, not those who deny it. Check it out yourself.

The whole thing is a scam.