Climate Disruption.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Disruption.

#541 Post by OFSO » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:04 am

Thousands of attendees at a Madrid climate summit today. No idea if the Wunderkind arrived on time, but by the last day, all problems will no doubt have been solved.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#542 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 am

Slasher wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:52 am
Can I ask some questions about these Stinky Rebellion/Momentum morons esp in London please:

1. Do any of them actually do real work and earn a proper income? If so, what percentage? 5-6% maybe?

2. Are any of these protesting twits paid to march?

3. And are the rest on permanent Welfare benefits?

4. I notice there are older dorkbrains who one would think would be mature enough to see through the ***** and stay clear of the snowflake rabble. Are they retirees who are just plain bored?

Thanks.
Here you are Cap'n, lifted from the ER web-site:
No one is paid as “staff”. Around 3% of volunteers receive expenses to help cover the cost of living and in some cases external contractors may be paid to deliver essential services. You can read more information on our financial policy and processes.
Their "members" can make 'Volunteer expense claims" and "Volunteer Living Expenses". They're very guarded about who funds their activities but a certain well-known financier is alleged to have contributed a considerable amount of funds.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#543 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:46 am

4mastacker wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 am
Their "members" can make 'Volunteer expense claims" and "Volunteer Living Expenses". They're very guarded about who funds their activities but a certain well-known financier is alleged to have contributed a considerable amount of funds.
Is he the same who supports the pro-immigration activities of Hungarian origin?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#544 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:50 am

4mastacker wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:05 pm
How do they know what the 1750 levels were? Did they have precision monitoring equipment available in those days?
They analyse the gas content of air bubbles entrapped in ice core samples.

They date the ice by calculating the ratio of two or more isotopes of known decay rate.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#545 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:33 pm

It's pretty accurate.
Oxygen-18 is the normal isotope used, and is actually stable. In colder periods, because it is heavier than the more abundant Oxygen-16, water molecules containing O-18 are less likely to evaporate than O-16 water molecules. The evaporated water then gets transported and falls onto glaciers, etc. So the ratio of O-18 to O-16 is a proxy for the mean temperature over a wide area.
More specific data can be obtained from radiocactive isotopes such as Carbon-14 and Beryllium-10, and recent advances in ice core slicing, using lasers, have enabled periods as short as 4 months to be examined. These have a very good match with known periods of colder weather such as 536AD/540AD, e.g.
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar ... onologies/

Welcome back, UP!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#546 Post by OFSO » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:40 pm

I see some charity - possibly Save The Children - claims that "millions of children are dying in Africa because of climate change." Nothing about there being millions of children and adults too many for the country to support.

What we need is some devestating plague or a war......oh, we've done that one, haven't we.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#547 Post by k3k3 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Does the 30cm snowfall in NSW count as climate disruption or is it just a WTF event? Has it helped extinguish any remaining fires?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#548 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm

Thank you Fox and UP (welcome back by the way :-h ) for those answers. Very much what senior daughter told me when I asked her. She also mentioned looking at tree rings can give an indication.

RiS, he may also provide funding to allow people to challenge the Government in court actions.....allegedly.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#549 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:17 pm

... count as climate disruption or is it just a WTF event?
everything people don't like counts as climate disruption to the AGW crowd. :D

Looking at tree rings is tricky. The original tree ring study by Michael Mann that he used to produce the 'Hockey Stick' graph has been debunked, and abandoned by the IPCC. Naturally the anti-AGW people who originally challenged it are still being slagged off as being unreasoning ;)))

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#550 Post by bob2s » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:14 pm

K3 ,nope snow fall was nowhere near bushfires and yes the fires are still burning due to the gale force winds that accompanied the cold front that caused the snow.Just weather, nothing more nothing less.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#551 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:23 pm

OFSO wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:04 am
No idea if the Wunderkind arrived on time,
She has arrived and has been pontificating.

People underestimate 'angry kids'.

Slasher

#552 Post by Slasher » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:25 am

Not following that weaselly little bitch actress but has she thrown a “How dare you!” at Oz for its bushfires yet?

I’m sure they’ll eventually cause a typhoon of massive intensity ‘not seen since records began’ in Southern Banglaville and Fox3’s snow to rapidly melt under his boots in April. Global Warning in action man!* 😱

* with due copyright to that poppinjay Kofi Annan at the edge of the South Pole a few years ago in September.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#553 Post by OFSO » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:30 am

She was on TV this morning, marching in Madrid. Every other marcher looked normal, smiling, chatting, chanting. She had a scowl on her face, a permanent look of poisonous hatred, that didn't change. Something wrong with that child.

Capetonian

#554 Post by Capetonian » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:49 am

My son is at the COP. I hope he has more sense than to get involved in the march, not to mention the Snotberg.

I fail to understand the logic in thousands of people flying to a conference in Madrid which has, as one of its objectives, the reduction of carbon emissions through flights. So much of this could be achieved by teleconferencing.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#555 Post by BenThere » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:44 pm

I see that, too, OFSO. I think it is a cultivated marketing strategy designed to capture the angry mood of people with resentments and environmentalists, and Greta is just the vehicle that suits. The vision that pops into my head is that when I see her spouting, I imagine all the angry people of the world not only visualizing, but imagining they are on camera saying the same thing. Basically it's a middle finger.

Meanwhile, it's cold in Michigan now. 22F. Next week we're heading to Adelaide for our annual Christmas and extended family reunion for a month. I always look forward to that trip. It gets me out of here and into some warm weather, uplifts my spirits, and my Aussie nephews, strapping boys in their 20s, with a pair of them making money as Aussie rules football players and another one is captain of the Army Aussie rules team - they all seem to be willing to still listen to my USAF war stories with their eyes wide open. My favorite is the Aussie rules Army captain. He's done two infantry tours in Afghanistan and is one tough and capable guy.

The problem is that when I go there, my brother in law always takes me to the local football club he runs; he's also an elected local council member. It has a restaurant and bar, is the hub of the community. Whenever I go into that place the regulars there, knowing I'm a Yank due to my attachment to my brother in law, pay for and line up too many beers in front of me and I end up staggering home, hoping I haven't tarnished the USA's image. I'm an honorable guy all in all.

I've honestly never had a bad night out in Australia. Once, in Darwin, some time ago, our table of USAF crew were enjoying beers and an Aussie came up and spouted some Labor crap about the US. We were astounded when pretty much the whole bar, maybe 20 people, rose up and hounded that fellow out of the place, then bought us beers to placate the insult. American GIs in foreign countries aren't used to that.

My father in law, who passed away this year, was a huge fan of America. He was a navy vet from the Korean war era. He always asserted that the Battle of Coral Sea in 1942 saved Australia from the Japanese. He was an astute reader of history and had some depth as a historian. I salute you, Trevor Hood. You knew what's what. Another thing I liked about him was that he had nothing but utter contempt for the Labor party, though his grandchildren seem to lean Labor. They're young though, know my pro-Trump politics, and we engage with respect. That's another story as a topic when I sit at the bar in the football club drinking free beers Australian club members had bought for me - Australians love to chat about Trump and American politics. I was in Adelaide when Trump won the 2016 election. I didn't think he had but a small chance, but as the returns came in as I sat in front of the TV at 8 AM which was night time in the US, and realized Trump had pulled it off, taking the presidency, I got in a very festive mood, celebrating with my father in law.

Experiences like that teach you who your real friends are.

Bottom line of this post is that I love my Australian family and have a super high opinion of Australia in general.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#556 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:49 am
My son is at the COP. I hope he has more sense than to get involved in the march, not to mention the Snotberg.

I fail to understand the logic in thousands of people flying to a conference in Madrid which has, as one of its objectives, the reduction of carbon emissions through flights. So much of this could be achieved by teleconferencing.
It is Madrid just before Christmas: what more reason you need to fly there with all expenses paid. I have said it before that all those meetings are held in wonderful places making the trips more enjoyable. I do look forward when such events are held at place with serious environmental and other issues and those meetings convey a message and help people locally.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#557 Post by OFSO » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:48 pm

I can tell you this: when holding any academic conference the very first choice to be made is the venue. Sun, sea, good food and drink (price unimportant as everyone is on expenses) and comfortable hotels. Get that wrong and nobody will attend. Anyone who attends a higher-than-thou-conference and denies that is a shameless hypocrite, a loathsome grovelling consumer of resources better spent elsewhere.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#558 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:00 pm

I am somewhat familiar with the congress and exhibition tourism and I feel it is ok to do that in most if not all fields. Yes the price of some products may go up a Dollar/ GBP/ Euro to cover the expenses but they are fabulous events really worth attending.

However eco-summits as a token of understanding to the causes to climate change (like plush way of living, airline travel) they needed to hold those conference in crap areas of the world. Obviously this wouldn't happen. I guess it was much like those supporting USSR in the 70's and 80s but not wanting to live there.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#559 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:47 pm

"Ooh, I know, let's all jet off somewhere exotic and lecture the plebs about unnecessary CO2 use."
Greta is currently at 13 flights by other people to save her two flights. Given the fuel burn depends on weight, and she's about 7 stone dripping wet and every else who flew is an adult, that's about 25 Greta-flight equivalents.
It's peak hypocrisy. No one with an ounce of common sense is fooled for a moment, and the credibility of the AGW crowd is as miniscule as the warming rate.

Caring for the planet, my arse!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#560 Post by Boac » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Fox - if you were to campaign on anything, would you sit at home and tweet.write letters or go to conferences and the like?