Climate Disruption.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Disruption.

#161 Post by Boac » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:14 pm

nmc wrote:The Heartland Institute was, before it jumped on the there-is-no-such-thing-as-climate-change bandwagon, advocating the opinion that smoking had few, if any, adverse health effects and called it 'The Big Lie'.
Indeed - and a very good reason to take them with a pinch of salt too. Their 'voice of Faux news' position is enough for me to look at them with suspicion. Any campaign group 'influenced' by businesses is automatically suspect. I assume the oil and industrial chemical companies will probably have funded this 'Big Climate change lie' campaign. More about them and 'smoking is not bad for your health':

"Heartland has gone to great lengths to argue that its attacks on public health or climate science are not motivated by the vast amounts of funding it receives from industry groups. But again, the tobacco wars are an instructive reminder of Heartland's agenda.

After litigation forced the disclosure of thousands of tobacco company documents, many Heartland letters to companies such as Philip Morris and RJ Reynolds were exposed to the public.

"Heartland does many things that benefit Philip Morris' bottom line," Bast once wrote to Roy Marden, the Manager of Industry Affairs for Philip Morris Management in a letter seeking $35,000 in contributions for Heartland from the tobacco company.

His evidence? A litany of reports, opinion pieces, and new articles placed by Heartland in defense of the tobacco industry and in opposition to those seeking to highlight the health risks associated with smoking."

Put that in your pipe and smoke it as we say..............

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#162 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:21 pm

I was driving home the other day. I was a bit slow and I had to stop on a red traffic light and then virtually every other light was red and I had to stop for less than a minute. I am wondering how much CO2 the car emitted for all those start and stop and how much CO2 wouldn't have emitted if a green "wave" was available and the road conditions did not make necessary to slow down to avoid holes on the road.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#163 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:10 pm

All Red is to allow stalled traffic to clear the junction. It may also be to allow pedestrians to cross.

I know some councils are considering speed related lights. Go too fast and they will change to red. I also know Lincoln, many years ago, introduced speed wave related and then buggered everything up adding extra lights and pedestrian crossings.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 pm

PN; I understand the need for traffic lights particularly for the pedestrians on major junction. But having to come to a complete stop every few blocks for longer of shorter time periods when you can move at a constant speed it does not really help with fuel consumptions and emissions.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by llondel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:33 am

You think that's bad. What about the US love for the STOP sign, where I usually have to come to a halt for no good reason. At least the UK usually has the Give Way, which allows some discretion in the matter, or a mini roundabout so people can play chicken or sit there staring waiting for someone else to go first.

Mind you, having seen some of the driving, the STOP sign probably saves a lot of idiots from being killed, and from killing others.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 am

RiS, agree, it used to be a delight in Berlin, driving in at the right speed, green all the way. I don't know how they coped with people.

My bug bear is with the stream of traffic approaching a roundabout and assuming priority for traffic queing on their left. They take not a blind bit of notice of a give way sign and press on ignoring queing traffic. Even when someone on their right enters they only yield at the last minute.

So the traffic controllers introduce lights and all lights go red at the same time . Ugh.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#167 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Just wondering if the parents of those children who took part in the climate change demos today, will get fined for unauthorised absences from school.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Slasher

#168 Post by Slasher » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:10 am

llondel wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:33 am
saves a lot of idiots from being killed, and from killing others.
That's the bit that matters.

Slasher

#169 Post by Slasher » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:23 pm

Exactly. [-(

Sisemen

#170 Post by Sisemen » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:00 pm

+1. And the narrator sounds Mancunian so all is not lost :D

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Good post Capt. Slash.

nomorecatering
FO
FO

#172 Post by nomorecatering » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:31 pm

It's a wonderful thing, the internet. You can find support for any claim whatsoever, even if it requires reaching deep down into the swamp to drag out an acolyte of Alex Jones.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#173 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:19 pm

One doesn't need to dig to find a hundred things wrong with the climate data. Here's a biggie - where the US weather stations are actually located. NOAA refuses to check these itself, for reasons which become obvious.
So, this bunch set off on their own dime to check them.
http://www.surfacestations.org/
Over two thirds of them fit in the lowest two categories of accuracy. That is, by NOAA's own standards, an error of >+2 degrees, which is bigger than the size of global warming that is said by them to be "catastrophic".

For example, here's where the climate station is at University of Arizona, where the lead author for the 2007 Climate Change report worked.

The guy walked past this every day, and needless to say it's the worst possible place to put one. This isn't even funny.

nomorecatering
FO
FO

#174 Post by nomorecatering » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:12 pm

Referring to a website that hasn't been updated since 2012, isn't digging deep?

Three studies using the data collected by surfacestations.org concluded:

"All three papers examining the station siting issue, using early data gathered by the SurfaceStations project, Menne et al (2010), authored by Dr. Matt Menne of NCDC, Fall et al, 2011, authored by Dr. Souleymane Fall of Tuskeegee University and co-authored by Anthony Watts, and Muller et al 2012, authored by Dr. Richard Muller of the University of California, Berkeley and founder of the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature Project (BEST) were inconclusive in finding effects on temperature trends used to gauge the temperature change in the United States over the last century."

Note that one of the studies was co-authored by Anthony Watts, who is behind surfacestations.org and coincedentally also runs wattsupwiththat.com

Sisemen

#175 Post by Sisemen » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 am

Apparently the teachers who have spent loads of time brainwashing kids about climate change also gave them permission to wag a day at school and take to the streets to protest. This is Perth
3011climate2.jpg
All very laudable you might think. But having had their protest about the climate and pollution this is what was left behind!
Kids Climate Protest.jpg
Kids Climate Protest.jpg (85.1 KiB) Viewed 480 times
It's great having a social conscience isn't it? Particularly when someone cleans up after you. ~X(

Slasher

#176 Post by Slasher » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:10 pm

I reckon the Toods of Yay would've insisted the brainwashed Unwashed cleaned up their pile of crap instead of just dumping it Sise.

Sisemen

#177 Post by Sisemen » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:26 pm

Not so sure Slash. On the local FB page there’s a whole slew of them saying they did brilliantly. Whatever. At the end of the day it will have as much effect as flea biting an elephants arse.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#178 Post by Smeagol » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:22 pm

OK for kids to take a day off school on a half-arsed protest, but if a parent takes a child on holiday they get fined. Why is every parent of those attending said protests not fined for not ensuring their offspring are at school? Double standards?
We hates Bagginses!

Slasher

#179 Post by Slasher » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:57 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:26 pm
Not so sure Slash. On the local FB page there’s a whole slew of them saying they did brilliantly. Whatever. At the end of the day it will have as much effect as flea biting an elephants arse.
Indeed Sise if the whole of Oz suddenly went Occasional Cortex's Green New Mess in entirety it would make 3/5 of 5/8 of fukkall globally.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#180 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:35 am

OT:
3/5 of 5/8 of fukkall
I've always used that exact phrasing, but have no idea where it originated. Anyone?