Climate Disruption.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Disruption.

#361 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:12 am

Atom Kraft wrote:But complain about it changing....
Who is complaining?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#362 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:14 am

The issue is not that the climate is changing, it is why, by how much, and what we do about it. The so-called "deniers", of which I am one, are not denying climate change, sea level rise, etc, at all. The misnomer is quite deliberately used by the AGW crowd.
For clarity, what the so-called deniers have a problem with are:
The poor quality of data used to make the projections.
The fact that the models used by the IPCC do not explain climate change before the current period of data they are using.
The fact that their projections so far using these models have been way off.
That the current system proposed for controlling CO2 is wholly ineffective in reducing CO2 output, as it excludes the major producers - China and India combined produce 50% more CO2 than the US and EU combined.
That the system of credits does not reduce CO2 output but does create a whole lot of bureaucratic waste of CO2.
That there is an almost complete lack of whole system analysis in CO2 production. The most recent example being Greta Thunberg saving two flights by creating 13 flights for her yacht crew and herself, and using a boat that takes 14 times as much CO2 to produce as the one I crossed the Atlantic in.

Whatever AGW is, it's not good science, and the laws being enacted are not solutions.

I deny I'm a denier ;)))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#363 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Here is proof, from none other than the DM, that the climate is indeed changing.

"new methods used by UCL researchers, measuring changes in sunlight and other factors that affect the 200mph Gulf stream"

That Greta girl SHOULD have sailed back - she'd be back in a few hours.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#364 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:15 pm

That explains why when I crossed it aiming for Miami, I ended up in Canada ;)))

Meanwhile, in Svalbard
Ship with Climate Change Warriors with documentary film team caught in ice, Warriors evacuated by helicopter.
Obviously one of those zero-CO2 helicopters ;)))
https://maritimebulletin.net/2019/09/04 ... ated/?via=

Slasher

#365 Post by Slasher » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:01 am

I'm getting this t-shirt made up here in Honkers (assuming the rampaging locals haven't trashed the applicable shops yet).

IMG_4722.JPG
IMG_4722.JPG (43.17 KiB) Viewed 280 times

It'll be a real hoot! :p

Sisemen

#366 Post by Sisemen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 am

Wouldn’t mind one of those sah!

Slasher

#367 Post by Slasher » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:25 am

Gawd how many will I have to get made up? Letsee:

Sisemen (gratis)
John Hill (cost price + delivery charges)
Plum (ditto)
Admin (ditto)
Boac* (ditto)
K&C (I'll charge him triple)

Have I missed anyone? 🤔

* will throw in a free MAGA hat too!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#368 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:58 am

Not for me, please - save your hard-earned money. Mine says "I don't love Global Warming" Please quote.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#369 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:05 am

Slasher wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:25 am
Gawd how many will I have to get made up? Letsee:

Sisemen (gratis)
John Hill (cost price + delivery charges)
Plum (ditto)
Admin (ditto)
Boac* (ditto)
K&C (I'll charge him triple)

Have I missed anyone? 🤔

* will throw in a free MAGA hat too!
It seems you had the idea somewhat late in the season. It would be much more successful if you presented them in heavy-ish jumper to be worn in the cold winter months. Checking the recipients list Plum may still appreciate it weather-wise, at least.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#370 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:19 am

You can add me to your list Slasher.

XL please.

Slasher

#371 Post by Slasher » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:05 am
RiS it was posted in humorous tongue in cheek mate. Off the top of me head I listed names of those who I reckon believe this GW stuff is caused by talking monkeys (except for Sise).

T-shirt joint closed today anyway so Boac's will be a bit late, but his MAGA hat is on its way via Royal Mail (COD) though. :)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#372 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:48 am

Very kind..........and I will wear, of course, backwards to suit the Chump 'intelligencia'.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#373 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Joking apart, the principal immediate consequence of global climate change inland is the increased frequency and severity of extreme weather events.

Here in the agricultural community, we don't like it up us, Cap'n Mainwaring.

I don't suppose the hippos chez Ascoteers particularly enjoy events such as their creek drying up more than usual either. They just can't get deliveries of moisturising cream due to local delivery drivers getting beaten up at the Sarth Effrigan border or summat.

Sisemen

#374 Post by Sisemen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 pm

the principal immediate consequence of global climate change inland is the increased frequency and severity of extreme weather events.

How come even the IPCC have disowned that?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#375 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:16 pm

It is not so about extreme weather. No significant change in hurricane numbers or energy, lightning, anything.

What has changed is that the weather is more variable, but the averages are the same.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#376 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:34 pm

The averages of weather are called Climate.

Fings just ain't wot they used to be.

We call that climate change.

It's real.

Capetonian

#377 Post by Capetonian » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Sky Views: Climate change protests at Heathrow on Friday could end in tears

On Friday, a group called Heathrow Pause hopes to shut down one of the world's busiest airports.

It says this is a response "to the government's lack of constructive progress on the climate and environmental emergency declared by parliament on 1 May" and that the "the omission is aggravated, even further, by the government's decision to back Heathrow expansion, despite the scientific advice against it".

The Heathrow Pause activists plan to fly small toy drones, one after the other, in the 5km exclusion zone around the airport, potentially causing disruption for days.

The drones will stay at around head height and will not be flown near the flight paths, but according to Heathrow's own protocols, just one drone in the exclusion zone is enough to ground aircraft.

The idea is for the drone pilots to make their flights, call the police, and then wait to be arrested and possibly face a prison sentence.

It is always hard to say what will unfold with direct action like this. And usually it is hard to predict how "ordinary" people will react.

This time though, if Heathrow Pause is successful, I can almost guarantee there will be outrage. People will miss weddings, funerals, holidays of lifetimes. There will be tears. Lots of them.

That's the danger for Heathrow Pause here - that the pain and disruption caused to the flying public will obscure their message. And it is, at its core, a reasonable message: If we want to tackle the climate crisis, we cannot continue our lives as normal.

And that includes, among many things, curtailing the endless expansion of airports and the freedom of a small percentage of the world's population to engage in a seriously carbon-intensive pursuit for which there is no scalable green alternative.

If Heathrow Pause is successful, I can almost guarantee there will be outrage. People will miss weddings, funerals, holidays of lifetimes. There will be tears. Lots of them

Heathrow Pause wants to create a shock to the system. They are prepared to break the law and face arrest and imprisonment to do so.

They've made the decision that this is the only way to get what they want.

But I predict the plan to target Heathrow will not be well received by anyone but the most committed environmentalists. Their cause will need more support than that if real change is to happen.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#378 Post by llondel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:55 pm

So while they do this, all the aircraft will be flying around in circles, emitting way more CO2 than if they'd been able to land promptly.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#379 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:12 pm

But I predict the plan to target Heathrow will not be well received by anyone but the most committed environmentalists. Their cause will need more support than that if real change is to happen.
Provided they don't go to an environmental meeting in some exotic location like Tahiti, Rio or Osaka.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#380 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm

Yes, why don't they just get a number 358 bus and go to Penge for a meeting?
They still live in mud huts in Penge..should be just their sort of thing ;)))