Climate Disruption.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Disruption.

#61 Post by 1DC » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:32 pm

About forty years ago experts were appearing on various news programmes with proof that the ice age would be here in 6 to 8 years time, about the same time we were in a drought situation and similar experts were saying it was so severe that if it started to rain the next day we would need the equivalent of heavy winter rains continuously for about three years to recover, as it happened it started to rain in September and by December all the reservoirs and aquifers were full and people were complaining about too much water. Now we have the climate change catastrophe. On the previous evidence i reckon the climate change experts will be just about as accurate as my two previous examples.
Wonder what the people who earn a living out of being an expert will think of next?

Sisemen

#62 Post by Sisemen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:03 am

Since this whole scam started we have been constantly assailed by dire predictions that we have only 5 years/10 years/20 years to sort out the problem. The latest from the IPCC is now 12 years before we're all doomed in 2030. EVERY prediction that has been made since the start of the scam has not eventuated. The timescale merely rolls further forward. But, hey, "the science is settled"!!!!

In a serious discussion over dinner the other night (for once it was kept on civilised grounds o:-) ) eventually one of the 'believers' thought that they would trump the discussion by saying that, whilst reluctantly accepting that there may possibly be grounds for doubting the warming theories, wouldn't it be better to take action in case the theories are correct. I enquired whether she had worn a stab vest for dinner that evening. This obviously threw her until I pointed out that it was a remote possibility that, in discussing climate change, I may have reached across the dining table and stabbed her with the carving knife - so had she taken precautions in case it might happpen? Collapse of stout party =))

Slasher

#63 Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:47 am

I have to hand it to Goebbels - to tell a successful lie it has to be a BIG lie, and repeated so often it will eventually be taken as fact. This is so true that SI itself, though the real enemy of Western democracy, has to commended for such a successful campaign in its agenda to redistribute global wealth, combining Joe's theorem with Fabian stealth and patience.

The IPCC is understandable - employ scientists to prove global warming and pay 'em a fat salary to do so. For that kind of money I would prove black is white, that God exists, that the NORK FLUF is a humanitarian and that Trump is a Russian plant. All done with falsified data, smoke and mirrors, and a tad of alchemy.

As far as climate change is concerned - it is. Tis the nature of climate to constantly change on daily micro levels and macro over millennia. If it didn't then yes there would be a real problem. Also it is the height of human arrogance to think our specie is changing something as powerful and self-correcting as Nature.

So why aren't the bishops of the Warming religion encouraging their congregations to protest in droves about the current Californian bush fires? If they reckon the red standby light of my lounge room TV (FFS!) will cause floods in Thailand then the fires in Paradise town will cause a Venusication of our atmosphere.

But wouldn't the climate change movement lead to cleaner air? Why yes of course! So vote for your local Green / Warmista parties at the next election. I want capital punishment restored so I'll be voting for the Taliban and Daesh.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:06 am

Sisemen wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:03 am
Since this whole scam started we have been constantly assailed by dire predictions that we have only 5 years/10 years/20 years to sort out the problem.
During my childhood it used to be "The end of the World is nigh - repent and seek religion."

Sisemen

#65 Post by Sisemen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 am

I did! I repented and sought religion ..... and then discovered that life was actually fun if you didn't have guilt feelings :ymdevil:

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by Boac » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Transferred from US hamster wheel thread viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1997&p=156903#p156903
Slasher wrote:Ok...so do you agree Boac he (TRUMP) did the right thing by opting out of the scam, even though he may have done so for political reasons?
Most certainly not. Not sure what you mean by a 'scam'. Global warming and Climate Change are not 'scams.' They are real and to deny them is madness, which sadly fits with the Chump. Most of those who oppose the treaty do so for financial gain. They either invest or otherwise benefit from the polluting factors.

Since you have now dragged this thread into climatology from politics, I would add that it is impossible to confirm whether man-made pollution is a major contributor - I think not, but it is impossible to deny that anything we can do to slow it or prevent the destruction of our eco-systems is worthwhile.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:30 pm

I posed a question to my tutor.

WW1 saw a massive increase in industrial activity followed by a natural post war contraction leading to a slump. Then in WW2 we saw another spike in industrial activity. Massive consumption of hydro carbons and carbon deposits.

How did the climate graphs correlate with the effects of war? They didn't.

The nuclear arms race saw a massive increase in atmospheric nuclear testing. Stratospheric contamination was easy to prove and we banned atmospheric testing. Where is that contamination now?

I think the Earth's Sun powered feedback system is rather more effective than we credit it.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by John Hill » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:30 pm
I posed a question to my tutor.

WW1 saw a massive increase in industrial activity followed by a natural post war contraction leading to a slump. Then in WW2 we saw another spike in industrial activity. Massive consumption of hydro carbons and carbon deposits.

How did the climate graphs correlate with the effects of war? They didn't.
Are you quite sure about that?

[/quote]
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:05 pm

That shows a steady increase from 1920-1940 during the post-war decline in production. I grant it shows an increase from 1914.

From 1942 as the war production ramps up, Germany moves to full minimum and the US becomes a consumer as well as a producer there is a steady drop until a Cold War production burst which is what we should expect.

From 1975 the increase bears out the warmists views. I would contend that the climate behaviour to 1975 is not supportive of industrial activity and consumption. If that is true we might argue that it has no direct effect post 1975. We might surmise therefore that the increase post 1975 has some cause different from our activity before that.

What might that be? Obvious factors are more people, more power, more cars, more logistics, and more air travel. The biggest factor though that might cause that increase 1920-40 and reduction 1940-1955 is probably not human factors. If that is true then it may have a big effect post 1975

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:51 am

Local time 11:20am and my outdoor temp sensor says 36 degC. Not even the hottest part of the day yet. That's after four days of almost equally hot days. Just had a parade of Meteorological types on the TV news stating how unusual this is, and how many records have already been broken this year.

We had a similar situation only a few weeks ago in December, and that was quoted as being quite unusual. Be a bit cooler coming Saturday and Sunday, but forecast to heat up again next week. I've lived here, on and off, since the late 1970's, and have never known weather like this. It's quite unusual.

Tens of thousands of native fish dying in rivers here, and hundreds of fruit bats falling out of trees dead. Which is also quite unusual. Are they the canaries in cages letting us know something is drastically wrong, or is it okay to just note how unusual everything is?

2018 was the third hottest year on record here, with all three in the last five years. This is my reality Folks, not some academic's graphs.

Alison

PS. Probably have Slasher along any minute to tell how it used to hit 50 degC when flying in the north, but being a macho alpha male never noticed. Plus the native fish and fruit bats were much hardier in his day. [-X
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Sisemen

#71 Post by Sisemen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:08 am

Whenever there’s a cool spell and folk jump on social media to deride “global warming” there are heap more ‘believers’ eager to point out that its “weather” NOT “climate”.

In reverse .....have at you Alison!

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:46 am

Sise, and your point is .........?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:57 am

I used to monitor the weather at work over a 10 year period, 2001-2010, and the Met Office helpfully provided the annual stats from the 24*365 readings. I then created a 7 year moving average for annual temperature and rainfall. 7 years gave a very stable figure.

Every year the temperature rose by 0.01 deg/C or 1 deg per century. The last figure before I retired was 0.015; the start of an acceleration?

Rainfall OTOH was unvaried at 566mm pa.

Sea level rise was also negative but explained away by post-glacial bounce and deposition of sediment from the sea bed.

From another study, unconnected with climate change, it was stated that the Indian Ocean had risen by 100m in 18,000 years.

Climate change I accept. Increases in local weather extremes I accept. Global warming would appear to be true. Whether the changes are man made I am not sure.

When we have a disaster planet earth seems to do a pretty good job of remediation.

Sisemen

#74 Post by Sisemen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:46 am
It's weather not climate!

Slasher

#75 Post by Slasher » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:51 am
PS. Probably have Slasher along any minute to tell how it used to hit 50 degC when flying in the north, but being a macho alpha male never noticed. Plus the native fish and fruit bats were much hardier in his day.
Who sed I was macho? :)) =))

I do admit you do make me laugh sometimes...Alison. Not often but sometimes.

And I hope I am the alpha male as far as me wife is concerned. If there's a beta hanging around I'll thump his skull senseless! :-w

We ate the native fish in Oz and shot the fruit bats with BB guns in me youf. Dunno if they were hardy or not. Didn't really care.

But yes it got real bloody hot in Adelaide and as you say, flogging around in the North, particularly the Tanami and Simpson. Thing is I'm a hot weather freak but that's me physiology. I can't stand cold climates - I fizzle into a curled up crying little girl in anything less than 21C. My nose runs, I cough a lot, and my gonads disappear up me armpits. So much for any of this "macho" sh!t. :p

Since you mentioned me name and so drew me into this thread, and that I'm officially a retiree with plenty of time, I announce that I am currently gathering data to correlate small breasts with hot climates, e.g. Singapore, Malaysia, Flipperines etc where little titties abound. I shall post the results of this highly complex and historically unprecedented research in due time. ;)))

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by BenThere » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Alison, to extrapolate your local climate vagaries is scientifically invalid. Extremes occur today and records are, and have always been broken. But the essential elements of climate change measurement remain remarkably consistent, even through the little ice age and previous warming periods, such as when vineyards thrived in Greenland, as well as pre- and post-industrial age. I'm convinced the key influence on earth's climate is the sun, not the impact of human endeavors. Volcanoes (not to mention California wildfires) spew a level of carbon effluent the Paris accords cannot legislate or even find the courage to address. Arrakis is hot, indeed, but the biggest problem there, as I see it, is giant worms and their ecological impact.

A few years ago, we skeptics were lectured by the Green movement that the science was settled. With the passing of a few short years, that settled science has been shown to have been manipulated and largely debunked, motivated as it was by the furtherance of political and wealth-transfer objectives. I endorse solar and wind exploitation if and when it becomes financially and ecologically sound. That isn't happened yet.

Would you care to comment on the progress the US has made in reducing its carbon footprint relative to the remaining signatories to the Paris accords?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by llondel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:40 pm

The Sun is a mildly variable star, so we're going to have some variation based on that. It wasn't that long ago that the Thames would freeze in winter, and there are tales of further back when it was very mild even in winter in the UK.

Whether you believe it's man's fault or not, I do like the way it's pushing all the renewable technologies and helping us reduce dependence on oil, which is a finite resource and has uses beyond being a fuel.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Slash wrote:I am currently gathering data to correlate small breasts with hot climates,
- hopefully 'hands on'?

Slasher

#79 Post by Slasher » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Of course! :D

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:16 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am
Alisoncc wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:46 am
It's weather not climate!
My understanding is Weather is what happens daily. Climate is the averages of weather over an extended period of time. So how many unusual weather events does it take to become a climate change?

Alisoncc wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:51 am
Local time 11:20am and my outdoor temp sensor says 36 degC. Not even the hottest part of the day yet. That's after four days of almost equally hot days. Just had a parade of Meteorological types on the TV news stating how unusual this is, and how many records have already been broken this year.

We had a similar situation only a few weeks ago in December, and that was quoted as being quite unusual. Be a bit cooler coming Saturday and Sunday, but forecast to heat up again next week. I've lived here, on and off, since the late 1970's, and have never known weather like this. It's quite unusual.

Tens of thousands of native fish dying in rivers here, and hundreds of fruit bats falling out of trees dead. Which is also quite unusual. Are they the canaries in cages letting us know something is drastically wrong, or is it okay to just note how unusual everything is?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46886798