Chaos in Germany

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in Germany

#101 Post by BenThere » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:14 am

One thing Western economies tend to produce well is food. I hope I live long enough to see the day when the West becomes the OPEC of the next generation, selling food to the same people, desperate for it, as we were when we needed the oil. What Middle Eastern countries feed themselves?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#102 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:32 am

How will they pay for it when we don't need their oil?

Sisemen

#103 Post by Sisemen » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:55 am

"SAUDI Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have bought 110,095 tonnes, or 96 per cent, of the 114,643t of feed barley Australia exported in November, according to the latest data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

The November feed figure marks the start of current-crop barley shipments from Australia, and China is notable in its absence, with no purchases of Australian coarse grains showing up in the data."
https://www.graincentral.com/markets/ex ... ed-barley/

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#104 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:15 am

Great resource Siseman!
There's a good article with more detail on the Chinese pork problem I was on about earlier.
https://www.graincentral.com/trade/expo ... tensifies/

It's pretty obvious that the Chinese trade war actions are now hitting themselves in the ass, especially with regard to export certification and politically-motivated anti-dumping investigation threats. I expect countries who have detained nationals, like Canada, are going to start insisting on their release soon as well.

Update:
OK, here's the Canadian grain data.
https://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/en/grain ... eat-flour/
China has doubled its buy of Canadian grain over the last 5 years. Two years ago the Barley buy was 1,100,000t. Last year it was 1,7000,000t. It's already 250,000t in the last two months (September/October). These are basically the first shipments this year as the grain crop plays second fiddle to the oil transport on the railways here. There's also delays going forward due to the CN strike (now ended). It has delayed propane shipments which are needed for grain drying, and the requirement for drying has been higher than usual this year, I believe (certainly has in the Maritimes).

Looks to me like the Chinese are in deep do-do. Their internal production isn't keeping up. They are trying to apply back door sanctions because of stuff like the Huawei 5G controversy, but their increased buying requirement from the same countries means they are stuck. I think they are switching around who they are buying from in the hope people won't notice. As another article on your Aussie website says, we just need to store the stuff and sit tight. They need it and will buy in the end. I think China is f#ck f#ck F#ckety-f#ck-f#cked!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Putting into practice Greta's recomendatioins...

#105 Post by OFSO » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:38 pm

German friends just sent me this fictional tale of the future. I've translated it into English.

Winter 2030, heavy snow and cold weather have swept across Germany. Snowed-covered solar cells, wind turbines shut down due to the storm, nuclear power stations have already gone, there are no coal-fired power plants, gas supply is weakening. Combustion engines, stove heaters, open fireplaces, chainsaws, snow blowers etc. are prohibited as polluters.

Kilometers of traffic jams on the highways of electric vehicles that ran out of power overnight. The electrified emergency services are also affected. Even when the weather is better, the vehicles can no longer move under their own power, but have to be towed individually, which even the Bundeswehr cannot cope with due to the lack of operational vehicles. Electric excavators and wheel loaders can no longer be connected to the grid or can only be used for a few hours. Due to a lack of demand, refineries produce neither gasoline nor diesel, which are only available in small quantities in hazardous goods outlets.

The federal government requisitions all still-usable vintage cars with combustion engines to help. Familiarities with the old technology are in short supply in retirement. Only Russia and Iran could still supply such vehicles and fuels, but this is impossible due to the lack of electricity and the lack of snow in the rail transport sector and the US opposition. Health care, schools, food supply and industrial production no longer work. Freezing and starving Central Europeans celebrate the successful energy transition in the cleanest air, of course without fireworks, alcohol or even a grilled sausage, unless it is vegan.

So much for the outlook into the future of Germany.

Creepy, isn't it?

Even more creepy: there is no errors in my prediction ..

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#106 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Is "there is no errors" German humour? ;)))

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#107 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:03 am

Good job RAFG/BAOR have been drawn down .

Germany takes a hard line with street drunks.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#108 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 am

Lunch with German friends yesterday. Told me that back in Germany patients are being told certain medicines and drugs are not available as "because Brexit is coming, the British have been buying up all the stocks". Mrs OFSO has has trouble in getting supplies of asthma drugs in the UK as not available. So where are they going ? Sold off to third world countries at inflated prices ?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#109 Post by barkingmad » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:22 pm

This one sounds very much like the EUSSR practice of saying “We don’t like the way you lot have voted so go away have a think and vote differently (our way).”

https://www.politico.eu/article/angela- ... right-afd/

Do I hear the structure creaking as the ground shifts beneath it but the structural surveyor has their instructions not to produce a damning report?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#110 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:53 pm

...and indeed Merkel has had her way. The results of the elections in Thuringia have been 'set aside' and new elections will be held to ensure the right candidate is elected. Vive Democracia !

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#111 Post by SOPS » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:42 am

How is that possible? All those involved with the EU seem to have forgotten how elections work.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#112 Post by OFSO » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:38 am

Just seen Merkel on (French) TV welcoming the setting-aside of the results of the Thuringia election. She claimed that the far right AFD assisting the Liberal Party to victory was reminiscent of what went on in the time of one Adolf Hitler. So what does setting aside an election result because you disapprove of what people want remind us of? (Don't all shout, "the EU").

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#113 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:01 am

I am annoyed when one runs out of arguments to make reference to Hitler and fascism.

Capetonian

#114 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:04 am

She's in ZA now. Maybe she'll take a few more NRs back with her, and make things worse in Europe.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#115 Post by barkingmad » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:24 am

SOPS wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:42 am
How is that possible? All those involved with the EU seem to have forgotten how elections work.
The connection between “EU and elections” will soon be an oxymoron as the superstate expands it’s ambitions and power over the peasants in the years to come.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#116 Post by Woody » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:31 am

Capetonian wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:04 am
She's in ZA now. Maybe she'll take a few more NRs back with her, and make things worse in Europe.
Maybe she’s getting lessons in how not to run a country from the ANC :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#117 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:12 am

She's doing pretty well herself without help, at **** up Germany and Europe.

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#118 Post by SOPS » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:20 pm

So what happens when they have another election an get the same result?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#119 Post by barkingmad » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:53 am

SOPS wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:20 pm
So what happens when they have another election an get the same result?
If at first you don’t succeed (you’re probably not a parrot!) then try try again. Remember the 2005 EUSSR Constitution referenda results?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#120 Post by OFSO » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:13 pm

Interesting how Merkel, who in constitutional law has nothing to do with her former political party - she is the neutral, unbiased, unaffiliated leader of Germany - assumed a perogative she no longer has and took action in her former party affairs as if she were still running it, instead of the hapless AKK.