Chaos in Germany

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Chaos in Germany

#1 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:43 pm

Man drives truck into open-air cafe in Munster today killing two and injuring twenty. Shoots himself. Police tell public not to jump to conclusions that this is a terrorist attack. Don't know about 'terror' but if I'd been there I'd have been petrified.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in Germany

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Same really as the "What will it take.." thread.
I'm really quite curious about, psychologically speaking, the behaviour of the majority of our species. Somewhere between cowardice, conformity and idiocy, the lack of action is really quite remarkable .

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:23 am

Fox3, maybe a Christian thing, turn other cheek. More likely keeping head down, hope it isn't me. Millions did that in WW2; didn't work then.

Need a few good men like that French policeman or the ones on the train that overpowered the gunman.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:17 am

As OFSO says, the media are hung up on the word 'Terror', as in attack. Most of us would be 'terrified' at any sort of accident/attack - such as a train crash, a vehicle being driven into a crowd, or a shooting spree by a deranged gunman, so what exactly makes an 'incident' into a 'terrorist act'? Does it have to be 'Muslim' based, or could a group of white yoof gang members conduct a 'terrorist act'?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:22 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:17 am
As OFSO says, the media are hung up on the word 'Terror', as in attack. Most of us would be 'terrified' at any sort of accident/attack - such as a train crash, a vehicle being driven into a crowd, or a shooting spree by a deranged gunman, so what exactly makes an 'incident' into a 'terrorist act'? Does it have to be 'Muslim' based, or could a group of white yoof gang members conduct a 'terrorist act'?
Boac, I used to have access to a knowledgeable sociologist who might helped us here but I feel incident is when something out of the ordinary helps, terrorism involves, here the sociologist comes, is when some social, religious motivation is involved. That's the reason I feel the MH370 shouldn't be considered a terrorism act - no one claimed responsibility or ever MS804 who looked so clear case initially. Unfortunately the sociologist is no longer accessible.

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by SOPS » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:59 am

Apparently..again...the perp..who is yet to be identified...but the Police know he had "mental health issues". although it appears they dont know who he is....can some one helpme understand this?

Capetonian

#7 Post by Capetonian » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Apparently he was German and a known nutter.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by OFSO » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Six terrorists detained in Germany having plotted knife attacks at the Berlin half-marathon today. Relatives/friends of the terrorist who drove a vehicle into crowds two years ago, escaped, and was shot and killed in Italy. They had been allowed to stay or just overlooked by the German authorities. And with no border controls and no stop-and-search for fear of being 'racist' who knows who is out there walking the streets.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:54 am

Has the Munster terrorist been named yet?

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by SOPS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:23 am

he was not a terrorist...just misunderstood......

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:42 am

Are you saying people in Munster were not terrified? I suspect most of the Islamic terrorists are 'misunderstood'!

SOPS
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by SOPS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:16 pm

I was being sarcastic....

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Apologies - I misunderstood you.... :ymdevil:

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by OFSO » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 am

He was a 48 year-old-German graphic designer named Jens R, "known to police", numerous incidents and arrests in his past none of which had been followed up. I am sure the relatives and friends of those killed and injured are consoled by knowing he was not a terrorist but just your usual run-of-the-mill deranged killer.

Capetonian

#15 Post by Capetonian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:35 am

Seems German efficiency is not all it is purported to be. I believe German airports were pretty bloody chaotic yesterday as Lufthansa cancelled half their flights.

I suppose when they do chaos, they do it well.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

German Budget Proposals

#16 Post by OFSO » Wed May 09, 2018 7:52 am

Germany’s spending plans, delivered this week, suggest that the austerity years are far from over after Mr Scholz surprised international onlookers by proposing a cut in investment, a reduction in defence spending, the freezing of funds for development aid and the lowering of Germany's contribution to the next EU budget.

The budget will also be a disappointment to US President Donald Trump who has urged Germany to increase the percentage of GDP devoted to defence spending in the US-led NATO alliance. However, Germany has done the opposite, and all eyes will now be on the EU’s exemption from US steel and aluminium tariffs due to expire at the end of next month’s extension.

Presenting the budget plans Mr Scholz said: “I am convinced, in good economic times, a responsible fiscal policy must achieve both a reduction in debts and a rise in investments.”

Columnist Wolfgang Münchau, writing in the Financial Times, said the German budget is an event that could “greatly increase the likelihood” that the Eurozone will “break apart”.

Mr Münchau claims that the new finance minister is looking to push the budget into a surplus of one percent of GDP or higher, and that “such a surplus would, over time, eradicate all public debt,” a move he says is “as un-European as Greece’s excessive fiscal deficits.”

He writes: “At that point Germany will have reached ordo-liberal utopia: it will have become like Nicolae Ceausescu’s Romania, which boasted a surplus of $9bn in 1989, just before the dictator was overthrown.”

Mr Münchau adds that “this budget will exacerbate the Eurozone’s already significant imbalances.”One such “significant imbalance” concerns the fear amongst German conservatives that the natural end-game for Eurozone reform involves the pooling of all Eurozone national debt, with Berlin picking up the tab for poorer and most irresponsible member states.

In an effort to address the fear of hasty Eurozone reform, Germany’s most senior conservative politicians will meet today to pass a resolution rejecting any pooling of Eurozone debts in Europe.

However Mr Scholz’s one percent budget surplus plan suggests that Germany is looking to end any such argument over ‘debt pooling’ by eradicating all its public debt before such plans are finalised.

With no debt to pool, and no reason to consider the proposals, Germany would be free to discuss other aspects of Eurozone reform, free of the single most controversial point for German voters.

On the budget surplus, Mr Münchau writes in the FT: “There is only one rational explanation for such a policy. Getting rid of your own debt is a way to end the debate about risk sharing in the eurozone.

“But copying Ceausescu’s economic strategy is a rather extreme way to go about this.”

Seenenough

Re: Chaos in Germany and Soros' world

#17 Post by Seenenough » Thu May 10, 2018 2:25 am

Another little blow against the Soros one world order.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in Germany and Soros' world

#18 Post by Cacophonix » Thu May 10, 2018 3:34 am

Seenenough wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:25 am
Another little blow against the Soros one world order.
So whose "world order" do you subscribe to? The Koch brothers' one perhaps? ;)))

Caco

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by BenThere » Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 pm

Surprised to see you invoke the Koch brothers, Caco (and welcome back). Are you coming out in support of their position supporting open borders or against their otherwise generally Republican principles?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by OFSO » Sun May 13, 2018 7:23 pm

I see that having assured El Trumpo that Germany would increase it's "commitments" to NATO, when she went over to Washington for a kiss and a cuddle, Frau Merkel has now announced that next year Germany will be cutting back even further on the miserably small amounts they currently pay. (Source: "Sunday Times" today). I wouldn't half laugh if Vlad ever invaded Germany and they were left with nothing to defend themselves except a limp bratwurst and Trumpo sniggering on the other side of the pond.