Boris

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Boris

#21 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Those who point out Boris's flaws are correct.

But all these pollies have similar flaws. Churchill had plenty....

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by BenThere » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Boris and Donald both have unconventional hairstyles. To their enemies that's repulsive; to their supporters it's endearing. Why do they do it? I think it's to set themselves apart.

Just now watching live coverage of DJT and May at Oxfordshire. So far the chemistry seems a bit chilly, though I love the pomp of British traditions. And England has an abundance of sites suitable for the purpose. In a thousand years, America might achieve the same.

Any odds on which of the two will be around then?

Slasher

#23 Post by Slasher » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 pm

BenThere wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:00 pm
Boris and Donald both have unconventional hairstyles
Yes but at least Donald keeps his neat to an extent. Boris's looks like it's been through a wringer after the dog chewed on it. While I'm not all that interested in English politics there are some things that should maintain one form of standard. Even that idiot Corbyn doesn't reduce himself to looking like the useless droobs bums and freaks who support him.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by om15 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Boris has now been reported to the Equality and Human Rights commission for saying that bints who wear burkas look like letter boxes, no doubt they will take this very seriously because that is what they are there for and must earn their funding.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (49.63 KiB) Viewed 385 times

Capetonian

#25 Post by Capetonian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Boris Johnson sparks fury by saying the burqa makes women look like 'bank robbers' and 'letter boxes'

Since when is speaking the obvious truth a problem? Oh, I forgot, it's not PC.

CremeEgg
Snr FO
Snr FO

#26 Post by CremeEgg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Telling the truth got poor old Enoch into trouble.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#27 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:23 am

So with one highly predictable article about the burqa Boris has repaired his reputation. He's gone from buffoon to candidate for the next prime minister in a single bound.

One might have thought the endorsement from Trump would have finally killed his chances but many of the english are secretly thrilled by the prospect of being ruled by the aristocracy, no matter how self serving they have proven themselves to be.

I wonder how long before the dream team of Johnson for Prime Minister and Jacob Rees Mogg for Chancellor of the Exchequer is rolled out? JRM has proved his financial acumen by moving his own business interests to the Republic of Ireland and has prudently calibrated peoples expectations by suggesting that it might take fifty years before Brexit starts to pay off.

Together they follow the classic template of a comedy double act, conceived by Laurel and Hardy, fine tuned by Morecambe and Wise and polished by Del Boy and Rodney. -- Two idiots, one of whom thinks he's a genius.

The only question in the case of Johnston and JRM being, which is which?
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by om15 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:52 am

I wonder how long before the dream team of Johnson for Prime Minister and Jacob Rees Mogg for Chancellor of the Exchequer is rolled out?
I think that many would prefer that to the nightmare team of Corbyn as PM, MacDonald as Chancellor and Abbot as Home Secretary. I do agree that Boris is not suitable for PM, I think that he has screwed up too many times, as has Gove.
Tell me, why do you think that JRM is not the perfect candidate for PM?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:30 am

Do the majority of voters consider who will lead 'their' party? - or do they simply vote along party lines (as they have done - often for generations)?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by om15 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:35 am

I think the leadership is an important factor, I suspect many labour voters will not support the current leadership, and the same with tory supporters being increasingly alarmed at the left/centrist Mrs May, where will they all go?
UKIP appears to be stuffed without NF and the libdem lot don't seem to be taking the middle ground.
I rather think that you may be right to a degree in that people will follow their inclinations to the least awful party, which is likely to be their traditional choice.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#31 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Why not Jacob Reese Mogg for PM? Well I've already suggested that he's self serving, wanting Brexit for the UK while manoeuvering his own business interests to stay within the EU. Arguably he's not as hypocritical as Boris. JRM has said that any positive effects from Brexit will not be seen for 50 years but perhaps this is what's known as establishing a case of plausible deniability.

JRM was, the last time I saw him on Question Time, insisting that only the hardest of hard Brexits will do. As you may have gathered I think any kind of Brexit is a bloody stupid notion and even David Davis thinks that some deal with the EU is essential. But not JRM, perhaps he anticipates doing better if the UK becomes a tax haven. JRM being an expert on such things as he keeps the income from his enormous inherited wealth in such institutions.

Sky News flew him to Northern Ireland after he'd announced that he thought the Irish border question was a non-issue and he was no more convincing after the event. Like Boris and Farage JRM just offers no suggestions at all as to how to solve this difficult problem.

JRM as PM? Well why not? If Trump can be president of the USA.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:33 pm

The Devil take 'em all ! Let us have the Queen back in charge.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by om15 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:55 pm

JRM is polite, appears to be logical, as an Etonian is well educated, has the business ability to be a self made millionaire by the age of eighteen, and most importantly is a country person from Somerset.
The fact that he manages billions of pounds of investments in his spare time in the evenings shouldn't exclude him from a political future, as you say he is one of the few that is unequivocal about Brexit, the majority voted in the clear understanding of what a "hard" brexit is, they did not vote for a half way house brexit that Mrs May and her Remain colleagues are trying to force upon us.
I think the popularity of JRM is that he reflects the sentiments of the majority of voters that voted to leave the EU.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:13 am

OFSO wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:33 pm
The Devil take 'em all ! Let us have the Queen back in charge.
I'm with you there OFSO as long as we can disregard Charles and jump straight to William when the time comes. Hopefully Auntie Betty can hang on for another ten years by which time William would be ready.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Capetonian

#35 Post by Capetonian » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 am

If it came to pass that Charles became King (not that there is anything wrong with the incumbent) and Jacob Rees-Mogg as PM, I would be proud of my British Passport, particularly of a new one that didn't have the loathsome 'European Union' on the front.

Boris, Foreign Secretary perhaps.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by om15 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:20 am

JRM has the advantage over his fellow contestants for PM in that he doesn't exist in the London bubble, being a countryman he is in daily contact with real people, vets, lorry drivers, the lady in Spar, council workers and so on in a way that Boris and Gove are not.
The establishment, May and the BBC are uniting this morning to give Boris a hard time over his burka comments, I think that Mrs May has a knack of being wrong about everything.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:29 am

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 am
Boris, Foreign Secretary perhaps.
I’m sure you know that he’s already failed at that.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#38 Post by Capetonian » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:40 am

That he no longer holds the position doesn't mean that he failed, it means that he and TM did not see eye to eye.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am

Didn’t see eye to eye with many people apparently
In August 2017, Rachel Sylvester reported in The Times that Johnson was ineffective and incoherent on major issues like North Korea and Qatar whilst on Brexit, he appeared to have no idea of what was required. His rhetoric seemed to suggest that the UK could dictate the terms "as if it was some kind of public school game rather than a negotiation on which the future of the nation depends." Sylvester believed that both European ministers and White House officials regard him as a joke.[396] This follows a Today programme interview in June on the Queens speech where, asked about the Government's answer to the "burning injustices," highlighted by Theresa May when she became prime minister, he showed a lack of understanding of the issues sufficiently serious to require prompting by Eddie Mair.[397]

Resignation
When all else fails, read the instructions.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:19 am

I'm mildly surprised Boris didn't use the term 'Guinness bottles'. Wasn't the term 'mouth like a letter box' applied to the spouse of a recent Labour Prime Minister? - didn't hear much of an uproar about that.
It's always my fault - SWMBO