PPL
PPL

Re: Boris

#41 Post by tcinbg » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:58 am

Cacophonix wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:47 pm
Wodrick wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 pm
Personally glad to see him resign, such a buffoon. He might be, as reputed pretty damm smart but ...........
+1

The man is a well educated sociopath, buffoon. poltroon, liar and all round bad egg with the atttention span of a gnat with only one interest and that is himself.

Caco
He should make a good Prime Minister then!

603DX
Capt
Capt

#42 Post by 603DX » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:38 pm

As an only child I generally respected my parents' opinions, even if I didn't necessarily share them. However, a few of them seemed so grounded in good, honest common sense, that I have adopted them myself over the years. They include:

1. Never discuss religion in public.
2. Never discuss politics in public.
3. Never trust a man who cheats on his wife.

Items 1 and 2 are the reasons why I seldom (if ever) contribute to threads on those subjects here.
Item 3 is why I don't trust Boris as far as I could throw him, which owing to his avoirdupois (and massive self-importance), is an absolutely minuscule distance indeed. A Bounder, not fit for any public office!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#43 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:38 am

'Everyone's out to get Boris. I wonder where he's holed up.'
Attachments
Boris.jpg
Boris.jpg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 456 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by om15 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:08 am

Two items caught my eye in the news this week, a very small paragraph in the back of a newspaper reporting that the Saudis have beheaded a man in Mecca and displayed his headless body in a crucifixion on public display, the other 99% of the news is this made up nonsense about Boris and the burka.
We really are losing the plot and this insidious creeping clamp down on reporting and commenting adversely on all things concerning this particular religion is taking us over.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:51 am

What makes a good leader?

Is it one with a messianic mission to lead the way as Tony Blair was depicted, and the blessed Margaret to some extent and Saint Theresa hardly at all?

Or one like Donald Trump, or Churchill, strong and flamboyant on a grand plan but with the wit to gather experts to manage the detail?

I suspect Boris might be closer to the latter.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by om15 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 am

I think that in a free country people should be allowed to wear what ever they chose, if that is a burka so be it, also in a free country people should be able to comment on this, we seem to be permitting the former but not the latter.

Capetonian

#47 Post by Capetonian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 am

Agree with om15, and I'd add that whilst people should be free to dress as they wish (within certain limits), the rest of us should be allowed to act accordingly.

That to me would mean that if I own a business, or drive a bus, taxi, restaurant, and people whose faces I can't see wish to come in, I should be allowed to refuse them entry. It should be give and take, but as om says, it's us giving and them taking (the piss!)

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by om15 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 am

One thing that I have noticed is that over the past week many of a certain religion have commented on this, it is obvious how many now hold pretty high office, with their track record of not giving an inch and shrieking racism at every slight we really will be coming more under their influence.
They are now attempting to curtail freedom of speech in the UK, we already turn a blind eye to FGM, grooming, burkas, not sending Christmas cards in case we offend anyone.
My sinking feeling is that the increasing alarm and despair that is growing daily with Mrs May will mean that Corbyn, (who is busy courting this religious group) will get in, then we really are stuffed.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Ibbie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Boris has had the balls to say what many of us have thought for years about black post boxes.

PC clowns should be ashamed! No appology required or needed.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#50 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Good grief are you guys still banging on about burqas?

I get around quite a bit, within the last few months I've been in London, Hamburg, Seville, Paris, Munich and quite a few smaller towns in Germany and Italy. I have to say that in 5 years, aside from on TV, I've only seen two people wearing burqas.

The last one was a couple of years ago in a hospital waiting room in Munich. It certainly didn't invoke any kind of fear or unease. The woman wearing it was about 5ft nothing and looked like a strong breeze would blow her away.

Now, big burly guys wearing full face motor cycle helmets with opaque visors. That's something one might be concerned about.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Jetex Jim wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 pm
I've been in London, Hamburg, Seville, Paris, Munich and quite a few smaller towns in Germany and Italy. I have to say that in 5 years, aside from on TV, I've only seen two people wearing burqas.
Try Luton.

Here is a picture of Burqa-clad women in Luton, a town once famous for straw hat making and now infamous for other things.

Capetonian

#52 Post by Capetonian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:54 pm

.. or Crawley, Manchester, Birmingham, High Wycombe, Reading, Slough, Warrington, Rotherham, Bradford ........

I have seen more full burqas in one day in Crawley than in three weeks in Tehran.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#53 Post by Jetex Jim » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:35 am

Did you take the picture yourself or is it 'evidence' found on the internet?

My daughter lives in Crawley, I walked from her place down to the High Street bank just last Tuesday. I didn't see any burqas.

My mother lived all her life in the Yorkshire Dales. She was firmly convinced that all major european cities were full of people wearing the things,

"Look, it's in my Daily Mail and ALL the other papers," she would say. They got the Express and the Sun as well.

Such are the forces of propaganda mobilised in support of the cult of isolationism.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by om15 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:41 am

Some of the places that you mention do in fact have a burka ban, that may be why you don't see them there, there is no ban in the UK, (nor, in my opinion should there be), however it is undeniable that they do look alien in our landscape and we should be permitted to comment on this.
I read that Boris may be required to attend "Diversity Training", I think that most people would consider this about typical of the mentality of Mrs May and her team. Do the people who wear burkas attend diversity training in order understand the need to tolerate others, no of course not, it is all one way.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 am

Jetex Jim wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:35 am
Did you take the picture yourself or is it 'evidence' found on the internet?
I wouldn't risk taking photographs (in Luton) of groups wearing the burqa, however it isn't difficult to find them every day along the Bury Park area:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP0XTvuRycY

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Boac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:46 pm

May I point out that much of the media (and some posters here) are confusing the Burqa with the Niqab? Much of the media also appears to thnk that he was calling for a ban on the burqa and niqab, which he was not. In fact he was opposing such.

Poor old Boris - he said there should be no ban on any particular form of dress but that there should be a right to demand removal of face covering when required by people. I completely support him on this. His use of the analogy of 'letterboxes' and 'bank robbers' - while amusing and apposite - was, however, unworthy for a man in his position.
burqa.jpg
burqa.jpg (4.98 KiB) Viewed 312 times

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:07 pm

For someone who once slagged off the Conservatives as 'the nasty party', the PM seems to be doing her best to enhance that reputation - forcing possible ex-Ministers to walk home from Chequers, sending the attack dogs after Boris, whips with a tarantula on the desk, etc.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:18 am

Motorbike instructor slams Shell garage for ‘racism’ after he’s told to remove helmet as woman in burka fills up next to him
Inbox

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6994230/m ... xt-to-him/

Reminds me of my teenage motor bike experience in the UK - WTF should I be forced to wear a helmet when the Sikhs were allowed to keep their turban
on ?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:32 am

The covered face issue is public safety, the turban is personal safety.
I'm not commenting on the merits of either judgement, but the criteria are different.
I think the motorcycle instructor has a strong argument. I make no comment on any of the other viewpoints.
Personally, I don't wear a motorcycle helmet (where I have the choice) when slow-medium speed and not surrounded by hard jagged objects, e.g. trail riding across grass land, popping down the road to the shops.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#60 Post by Bob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:32 am
The covered face issue is public safety, the turban is personal safety.
I'm not commenting on the merits of either judgement, but the criteria are different.
I think the motorcycle instructor has a strong argument. I make no comment on any of the other viewpoints.
Personally, I don't wear a motorcycle helmet (where I have the choice) when slow-medium speed and not surrounded by hard jagged objects, e.g. trail riding across grass land, popping down the road to the shops.

Do you trail ride much Fox?, I love it been doing it since I was 12,rode Enduro/Hare and Hounds comps for a while. Now have a Yam WR250 for the tight stuff and a Husqvarna 701 for the double track, I'm envious of the space you have, the UK has become very restrictive about Land access (always was but it's got worse.)

...Happy Trails
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access