Chaos in Spain

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Capetonian

Re: Chaos in Spain

#121 Post by Capetonian » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:46 am

El Generalissimo has arisen and his spirit is alive and well.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#122 Post by OFSO » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:22 am

Thousands of people spent the night in their cars and trucks after Tsunami Democratic blocked the six-lane AP-7 motorway at Girona.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#123 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:21 am

Spanish scrabbling to form a government for the fourth time in four years. They were hoping to have Sanchez in place before Christmas but yet again no overall majority. Here we go again. Possibly a fifth General Election in 2020. Condemned to repeat the same stupidity over and over, because the Constitution 'cannot' be modified.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#124 Post by Woody » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:27 am

Can anyone else see the potential problem with this :ymdevil:
Spain's defence ministry is opening more special forces roles to women as part of international efforts to tackle terrorism and unconventional warfare.
Defence Minister Margarita Robles says the UN has called for more women to help resolve conflicts worldwide.
Arabic-speaking women are among those sought for UN- or Nato-led missions in conflict areas, such as Iraq or Libya.
Ms Robles was visiting the army's command for special operations, where some women have joined elite units.
At the command centre (MOE) in Rabasa, near Alicante on Thursday, the minister watched a mock assault on a terrorist compound with the aim of seizing intelligence - the kind of raid conducted often against insurgents in Afghanistan and Iraq.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#125 Post by OFSO » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:05 pm

No, no problem. Country is trying to be PC while Ortega-Smith gets.more and more powerful. What could go wrong..

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#126 Post by BenThere » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:41 pm

My observation during my USAF 30 year experience is that Navy Seals are the premier, while Army Green Berets and Air Force Special Forces are very highly competent. All of these components are comprised of very tough and well-trained men. Maybe women could be cultivated for the special forces mission, but I doubt they will ever achieve the physical and toughness requirements of today's special forces. I have always been and remain in awe of Seals, Green Berets, and USAF special forces. They are our best of breed.

I need to edit to add: US Marines are marvelous as well. When any Marine comes into the Freedom Center in Detroit where I do volunteer work a few days a month, I stand up to welcome him, and treat him, and often his family accompanying him with the utmost respect. I absolutely love all our young troops, they are why I work there, especially the younger enlisted who don't make much money and struggle to get by. They deserve so much more than I can give.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#127 Post by Woody » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Might be worth watching later tonight :ymdevil:
Wednesday night's rearranged El Clasico is set to be marred by thousands of inflatable beach balls being thrown on the pitch by Catalan protesters.

Barcelona were initially scheduled to host Madrid at the end of October but saw the game postponed by La Liga chief Javier Tebas due to fears over safety with pro-independence protests taking place locally.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#128 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:55 pm

Bugger Spain while I'm not there !

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#129 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:14 am

Riots outside the Camp Nou during El Clasico last night. Running battles with police. Inside, banners on display asking Spain to sit and talk. Fat chance of that. The active branch of those wishing for Catalunia to be granted independence has just been declared a 'criminal organisation' by the Madrid government.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#130 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:06 am

The Catalan government has collapsed, too many small parties can't agree. General Election to follow, if the apathetic voters can be bothered. A good time for the Spanish Army (such as it is) to invade and impose fascism, sorry, democracy.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#131 Post by OFSO » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:54 pm

This morning, the Spanish health minister said the public should trust the Spanish NHS in dealing with the Corona virus, and have no concerns regarding attending the annual Mobile Phone Congress in Barcelona, due to start in two weeks time.

This afternoon, the organisers cancelled the event. Absolutely justified, IMHO.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#132 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 pm

BenThere, in UK, ex-Special Forces guys have run a 'game show' where civilians undergo a 14 day SAS test. We get to see 6 one hour episodes. What we see is enough to put most people off. This last series has just finished. They had both men and women and everyone equal with women milling with men, doing buddy carry regardless of weight up a mountain etc. I only had to do a 100 yard carry on the flat and that knackered me.

In contrast our reserve forces Selection lasts a year.

However this series saw the last 4 being 2 men and 2 women. On the last day the two women failed, it was close but strength was the ultimate difference. In an earlier series only a woman won.

Women have many attributes that can make them ideal and the match of many men, but where physical strength is required the men have the edge

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#133 Post by BenThere » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:33 am

I agree, I think. In my reserve squadron, where I flew for 22 years, flying KC-135 tankers, we had several women who performed their jobs to standards that weren't bent to ensure their success. They were real pilots. But flying a tanker isn't physically demanding.

Special Forces, on the other hand, are the ultimate combat soldiers, and the physical demands to be elevated to that level should not be bent to ensure womens' success either. If a woman can do it to the same standards men are expected to perform to, I've no objection. But I have a feeling not many of them can perform at that level. Special Forces are the best of the best at what they do and should not be compromised at the altar of any sort of political correctness or identity politics. The mission is what counts.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#134 Post by ian16th » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:58 am

This chat about Special Forces prompts me to ask, are y'all aware that during WWII the RAF had Servicing Commando's?

These guys were technical tradesmen who went through some sort of Commando training.
Cynicism improves with age

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#135 Post by Woody » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:37 pm

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#136 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:06 pm

They need to keep tabs on those people.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#137 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:59 pm

.....but nice to see British Enterprise in countries where the locals are less than interested in working.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#138 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:30 am

Two more wives murdered in Spain last night. Domestic violence said, on this morning's TV News, to be out of control. Protest marches by ladies in the larger cities. Can't all be North African immigrants, surely ?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#139 Post by OFSO » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:48 pm

A huge pro-separation meeting in Perpignan, France today, tens of thousands of Catalan citizens travelled up across the border, including the Catalan president, meeting Catalan politicians from Germany, Belgium, France and Scotland who dare not set foot in their own country because of Spanish arrest warrants for rebellion, sedition, etc. The event was well supported by the French authorities in Perpignan, who acknowledge they are Catalan Nord.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#140 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:26 am

1) Receive a link from another member of this site, saying the Spanish are worried about resident ex-pats moving to Portugal where it's cheaper, and what can they, the Spanish, do to stop this trend.
2) Watch Spanish TV news to see discussion in Madrid government about reducing benefits and raising taxes.