Chaos in Spain

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in Spain

#241 Post by Ibbie » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:14 pm

Former King, Juan Carlos, has left the Country, permanently.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#242 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:21 pm

To avoid investigation?
King Felipe renounced his own inheritance and stripped his father of his palace allowance in March after reports the latter received $100 million from the late Saudi king and gave millions to a businesswoman.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#243 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 pm

Not according to this:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/europe/j ... index.html

Juan Carlos I, Spain's former king, has left the country amid scrutiny of alleged financial dealings
By Laura Pérez Maestro and Al Goodman, CNN

Updated 3:07 PM ET, Mon August 3, 2020
Spain's former King, Juan Carlos I, is moving abroad.
Spain's former King, Juan Carlos I, is moving abroad.
Madrid (CNN)Spain's former king, Juan Carlos I, who steered the nation from dictatorship to democracy, has left the country amid scrutiny of his alleged financial dealings.

In a letter to his son, King Felipe VI, Juan Carlos wrote that he made the decision to leave "in the face of the public repercussion that certain past events of my private life are generating."
A Royal Household spokesperson told CNN after publication of the letter on Monday that the former monarch "has left already," but declined to reveal where he has gone.
Earlier, his lawyer Javier Sanchez-Junco told CNN that Juan Carlos' move out of Spain was imminent, insisting he didn't know where the former King was headed.
Spanish and international media have reported on the alleged financial dealings of the former King, now 82, even before he abdicated in 2014, and on the efforts of his son to distance himself from his father.
King Felipe expressed " heartfelt respect and gratitude" for his father's decision to leave the country, according to a press release from the Royal Household.
"The King wishes to emphasize the historical importance that his father's reign represents, his legacy and his political and institutional work for Spain and democracy; and at the same time he wants to reaffirm the principles and values ​​on which it (Spain's democracy) is based," the press release said.
In the letter announcing his departure, Juan Carlos wrote: "A year ago, I expressed my will and desire to stop performing institutional activities. Now, guided by the conviction to perform the best service to the Spanish people, their institutions and you as King, I am communicating my thoughtful decision to move, at this time, outside of Spain."
"A decision I make with sadness, but with great serenity. I have been King of Spain for almost forty years and, during all of them, I have always wanted the best for Spain and for the Crown," said the letter, published by the Royal Household.
Growing scrutiny
Juan Carlos, who is now 82, is widely credited with helping to guide Spain to democracy after the long dictatorship of Francisco Franco. But in recent years, his image has suffered.
In 2014, he abdicated under a cloud of financial scandal and criticism of his elephant-hunting trip to Botswana during Spain's financial crisis in 2012.
In March, King Felipe ended the annual public stipend paid to his father and renounced any personal inheritance from him.
Swiss prosecutors are currently examining documents that allege Juan Carlos may have received $100 million from Saudi Arabia's king in 2008, a senior Spanish official with knowledge of the proceedings told CNN last month.
Spain's King Felipe VI renounces his inheritance from his father
Spain's King Felipe VI renounces his inheritance from his father
The official said the hypothesis is that the money may have been related to a contract for a Spanish consortium's construction of a high-speed train between Medina and Mecca in Saudi Arabia.
The attorney general's office in Spain said in a statement last June 8 that a Supreme Court investigation was focused on the high-speed rail project in Saudi Arabia -- and that Juan Carlos' name had come up in the case.
The former king's lawyer said in a statement Monday that even though he is leaving Spain, Juan Carlos wanted to make public that he "remains at the disposition of [Spanish prosecutors] for any formalities or actions considered
opportune."

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#244 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:34 am

See my unnecessary post elsewhere. TV news full of it today. One lady interviewed said "he should be made to give back to Spain what he stole from us before he's allowed to leave." Bit late for that, dear. Considering every politician, business owner, and government official in Spain is fleecing the state bare, the former king's actions are par for the course.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#245 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Ex-King J C now believed to have been located in the Dominican Republic. And not in LA with Harry and Megan as some thought....

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#246 Post by ian16th » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:26 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:22 pm
Ex-King J C now believed to have been located in the Dominican Republic. And not in LA with Harry and Megan as some thought....
Might he have a spare room?
Cynicism improves with age

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#247 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:53 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 pm

The former king's lawyer said in a statement Monday that even though he is leaving Spain, Juan Carlos wanted to make public that he "remains at the disposition of [Spanish prosecutors] for any formalities or actions considered
opportune."

PP
If he wants to remain at their disposal why leave at the first place?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#248 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:58 pm

God damn you quasi Christians and Jews..

I thought you might have meant...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_XII_of_Granada
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#249 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:00 pm

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#250 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:06 pm

I love Spain... part of my family traveled to fight on the Republican side...

**** Franco...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#251 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:10 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#252 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 pm

If any of you buggers want to expiate your sin and join me in search of forgiveness, life or just a good beer...

https://britishpilgrimage.org/portfolio ... zQQAvD_BwE
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#253 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:39 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 pm
If any of you buggers want to expiate your sin and join me in search of forgiveness, life or just a good beer...

https://britishpilgrimage.org/portfolio ... zQQAvD_BwE
Nationalists and Republicans, both are invited...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#254 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:04 am

Sanchez the Spanish PM has been defending the institution of the monarchy. Can't see this going down very well with the average man on the street who has been forced into austerity for years. Unlike the British monarchy the Spanish kings rarely do events, and are hardly ever seen in public. Opinion here is that they live a life of luxury on the backs of the taxpayer. The Catalan leader Torres has called for the abdication of King Philippe.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#255 Post by Karearea » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:52 am

the Spanish kings rarely do events, and are hardly ever seen in public
? - King Felipe and Queen Letizia seem quite busy and engaged with their people to me: per Twitter @CasaReal

House of HM the King

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#256 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:35 am

Juan Carlos was popular in Catalunia as he spoke the language when here and observed Catalan traditions. His son is regarded as cold and distant and very much against Catalan independence. I can only report what I suspect is the the general feeling in Catalunia: get rid of the monarchy.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#257 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:26 pm

There are numerous jokes circulating on What's App about the Spanish royal family right now but they are far too dangerous to keep on one's phone. I posted one here this afternoon but thought better of it.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#258 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:32 pm

Catalans have said that as Catalunia is a Republic they don't accept the authority of the King anyway. King Felipe is now trotting his young, sweet, pure and not-in-receipt-of-billions-of-dollars-of-Saudi-oil-money daughter out on every occasion to demonstrate that not everyone in the Spanish royal family takes bribes.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#259 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:31 pm

One hears that Mr and Mrs King and the Kinglets have further endeared themselves to those citizens of Spain in lockdown by heading off to the Balearic Islands for their hols...quite right too. Don't expect them to confine themselves in their stuffy palace in Madrid during the current heatwave.....

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#260 Post by Karearea » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:39 am

^
"Following the activities carried out during and after the coronavirus lockdown their presence in the Balearic Islands will include Institutional events with Regional, Island and Local Authorities and representatives from different Sectors of society in support of Productive Activity, Social Interest Projects, Culture and Tourism,” said the Zarzuela Cabinet.
Packed agenda for the Spanish Royals
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...