Chaos in Spain

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in Spain

#161 Post by BenThere » Sat May 09, 2020 6:24 pm

Mexico's the same way. Lots of close contact, hugging and kissing and the like. I've been unable to go there since we left 17 Mar, and our full-time friends report our resort is locked down, the four hotels and the beach on the property are all shut down, the miles long beach road full of restaurants, boutiques, yoga studios - all shut down and empty.

So our friends recreate at the pools in our development that are still open, but the maids, landscaping, maintenance, security and reception staff are reduced from about 30 people to four. I think the impact there is more devastating than it is here in Michigan, though their case and body count totals are a fraction of what we have.

These are trying times, but the Mexican workers in the tourism industry are being clobbered and generally don't have a lot to fall back on. But they do have a better self-reliant capacity. They learn how to live off a 50 kilo sack of beans, a 20 kilo sack of flower, a couple kilos of oil, a pig that they can cut up and butcher, peppers and onions from the garden, and a kilo of limes. The typical family will survive and thrive indefinitely. They are taught that as they are raised.

Further, property for living is mostly owned by the residents as I observe it outside the cities. You pay cash for a home and land there and don't possess it until it's paid for. I had to pay cash for my home down there. But once you pay for it, the taxes are very low, and the total overhead doesn't take a lot of income to be able to hunker down and survive quite comfortably.

An acre of lush, raw land goes for about $1,000 US away from the tourist hot spots. It will have abundant water and a climate and soil that will grow anything. So my pipe dream is to buy 10 or so acres and build a bespoke hacienda, own a horse or two, build a garage for my car, storage, tools and toys, and live the dream, 10 minutes to the best beaches and restaurants I know of. I think I could do the whole project for under $200,000 US.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#162 Post by OFSO » Sun May 10, 2020 7:34 am

Back to Spain, or rather Catulunia. From tomorrow, 90% to remain in phase 0, and 10% move to phase 1. Somewhat complicated rules. You have to look up on an interactive map to see which area you are in, then read the regs pertaining to your area.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#163 Post by OFSO » Sun May 10, 2020 1:23 pm

On the beach at Roses is a large cartoony pirate ship thingey for children to clamber over. Last night it was the meeting place for teens of both sexes to gambol and frolic. All in close proximity. Then the police turned up, loudspeakers on, bollocking administered and teens told to disperse. Which they did. Wankers.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by Ibbie » Sun May 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Valencian and Andalucian Governments have told Sanchez and his mob that they want a recount on their people being denied access to phase 1.

Also the State may have brought in schemes to carry on paying wages during the lockdown, but they are not paying out. Many people with no money to live on.

However, nearly one million fines have been issued for breaches of the lockdown.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by OFSO » Sun May 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Breach of lockdown: friend left his house to walk thru deserted streets to French bakers two streets away. Stopped by police, asked him where going ? Explained, told to use nearer baker one street away or they'd fine him for breaching lockdown. At that time there were no cases in Roses. A week later six police tested positive.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by OFSO » Tue May 12, 2020 5:19 pm

Possibly this should be filed under the "other countries always do it better" heading, but talking to friends in Barcelona I was told "you are so lucky to be tested for active/antibodies in the UK as here in Spain it's impossible to find anywhere to have it done..."

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#167 Post by Ibbie » Wed May 13, 2020 6:31 am

The leader of the main opposition party, the PP, has announced an alternative exit to the State of Alarm, if the Government can be defeated.

There were demonstrations in Madrid against the present handling of the crisis yesterday.

Meanwhile Sanchez is apparently looking at a further extention to the present status taking it to the end of June. Opposition to that is growing.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#168 Post by OFSO » Thu May 14, 2020 5:39 pm

I hear that Barcelona is staying in Phase 0 but Girona Province is moving to Phase 1. Actually Barcelona will be Phase 0.1 regarding car passengers and Girona Phase 1 minus 0.9 regarding school re-opening.

The whole thing is getting more out of hand than Microsoft's numbering of WIN updates !

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#169 Post by OFSO » Thu May 14, 2020 10:49 pm

Spanish website says that until the end of the year - 31st December - only residents with the Green Registration Document in their hand will be allowed to enter Spain.

However hotels in Roses have been advised that Spain will be open for tourists from July.

Tourists will be allowed to stay in Spain for the usual length of time - i.e. as short as a weekend - but must self isolate for fourteen days.

Right hand, left hand...

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#170 Post by Ibbie » Fri May 15, 2020 7:16 am

You are quite right, OFSO.

It depends what and where you read. It is getting very chaotic to say the least.

There is a lot of false news about, a problem all over Europe, inc the UK. The media need locking down. People in positions of power and their so called experts should check their mouths before opening them.

The EU are saying that borders must be reopened. France has retaliated against Spain by putting in quarantine for people crossing that border for the same period that Spain keeps their quarantine in place.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by OFSO » Fri May 15, 2020 7:43 am

Yes, the children are out to play. No quarantine for British entering France because no quarantine for French entering Britain. Nice to see decisions being made on best scientific grounds.

Since the crisis began, all truck drivers from anywhere have been allowed to cross the French Spanish border at La Jonquera unimpeded. Presumably truck drivers are immune to the plague.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#172 Post by barkingmad » Fri May 15, 2020 7:54 am

MSM says this morning that car production will move from Espana to Nissan in Sunderland in a bid to rationalise production and to make it easier to phase in the new exciting era of all-electric cars.
Are there lots of magic mushrooms being consumed in guvvment and car manufacturers’ boardrooms?
Whatever they’re dosing themselves up on I’d like to have a sample as a variation from the booze bottle...

Capetonian

#173 Post by Capetonian » Fri May 15, 2020 8:55 am

I thought all UK manufacturing, banking, and other exports would be killed dead when the UK left the EU. Where did that come from?

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#174 Post by Ibbie » Fri May 15, 2020 10:24 am

car production will move from Espana to Nissan in Sunderland
They are shutting the Nissan plant near Barcelona which also builds some Renault models. Renault models were said to be going to their plants in France.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by Wodrick » Fri May 15, 2020 10:49 am

Don't see the sense in moving out of Europe myself. Good news for the Sunderland plant though.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#176 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 15, 2020 11:08 am

Installing and moving a model at a vehicle production plant is an extremely expensive operation.
Heavy press tools and assembly welding robots represent the bulk requiring major transport then there's the parts inventory and scheduling software - fetching and delivering parts to where they are needed.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#177 Post by ian16th » Fri May 15, 2020 11:26 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:08 am
Installing and moving a model at a vehicle production plant is an extremely expensive operation.
Heavy press tools and assembly welding robots represent the bulk requiring major transport then there's the parts inventory and scheduling software - fetching and delivering parts to where they are needed.
Not too much of a mission, the way the Chinese hoovered up the contents of the Rover plant at Longbridge.

As for the welding robots, ain't simply a matter of reprogramming?
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#178 Post by OFSO » Fri May 15, 2020 12:02 pm

If you ever tried to run a business in Spain you know why. An acquaintance of ours who runs a very successful business in France with many outlets here and there (artist and sculpture materials) got fed up with having to send so much stuff to Spain that he decided to open a branch there in l'Escala not far from where he owns a house (so he knows Spain). After three years waiting for licences, permissions, approvals, border permits, and the like, he gave up. Back to exporting to Spain.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#179 Post by Ibbie » Fri May 15, 2020 3:44 pm

...and now there are only 5 airports in Spain allowed to handle international flights: Madrid Barajas, Barcelona el Prat, Malaga, Gran Canaria and Palma de Mallorca.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#180 Post by OFSO » Fri May 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Other than Reus and Girona, I can't think of any other international airports. Oh there's that huge brand-new one miles from anywhere south of Madrid that's never ever opened since it was built. If that's now officially closed perhaps the government can admit it exists !