Theresa may... or she might not, after all?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Theresa may... or she might not, after all?

#1 Post by probes » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:34 am

Would/could somebody explain the mess to someone who hasn't been 'tuned in' mostly? Do they have a clue at all? About what's going to happen if A, B or C. Or zero plan.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Theresa may... or she might not, after all?

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:32 pm

I believe that the current situation is a clusterfck.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 pm

That is a pretty accurate summary.

Having buggered around for more than two years, now with 4 months to go, they seem to be agreeing to bugger around for another two years. If that doesn't work then they will continue to kick the can down the street.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Theresa May is firstly pushing something she disagrees with, secondly clueless about European politics and politicians, and finally a ditherer. She is the worst possible person to negotiate Brexit, with the exception of every PM past and present, except Thatcher. She has betrayed the entire electorate by negotiating a contract that is against the wishes of both sides in the Referendum. She should be shot as a traitor.

fin
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by fin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 pm

As I was raised with a very healthy respect for things British and UKish, it is indeed sad and disheartening to finally internalize the very sad reality that UK problems and government are, if not as dysfunctional and idiotic as US ones, several magnitudes worse.

Our own newly elected (perhaps, apparently the jury is still out on quite a few) congresspersons are such a discordant, hateful and in some cases openly racist and sexist lot, that one is quite disposed to complete my 90% withdrawal from sampling the 'news' on a daily basis. May take a page from my son's handbook, and look at ONE headline per day. But even the California wildfires have become political and ugly.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Just watched Theresa May's press conference. What a load of bullsh*t. Never answered the questions and in total denial of the opposition she will encounter. One commentator said she will need at least 47 OPPOSITION votes to get her half-baked plans through. Common Cape, time for a revolution. Last over the barricade's a looser....

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Ibbie » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Is it time for the Government's Chief medical officer to step in with a couple of colleagues amd declare her insane?

Time for the yellow van, men in white coats, straight jacket and a padded cell.

Capetonian

#8 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:28 pm

I agree TM has made a complete and utter hash of this and she appears to have been acting in an almost autocratic manner, possibly contrary to the way that the ministers whom she appointed to deal with this would have acted. Does this not defeat the aims of a democratic government, and the fact that her cabinet appears to be deserting her speaks volumes.

I voted for Brexit, do not regret doing so, and would do so again. That said, I am bitterly disappointed with what the country appears to be headed towards.

I do wonder though if anyone else would have done better, given the complexity and dynamics of what had to be achieved in a relatively short time.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:35 pm

I do not accept that a report running to almost 600 pages is solely the work of TM.
There must be others to blame (as well) . . .

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:39 pm

What did the Brexiteers expect? What was being sought and offered by the Brexit fantasists was plainly impossible to deliver unless you are one of the true headbangers like medievalist Rees-Mogg et al who have actively been seeking a course that would cause major damage to this country and its economy without a thought for the citizens who would suffer as a result of their fixed ideological mania in dropping out of the EU without any trade deal at all.

Labour are no better in my opinion as no sensible opposition to the current madness has been offered by Corbyn et al. A country gets the leaders it deserves and never has Britain been laid so low sadly. Today represented a true nadir in the fortunes and diminution of this once great country. Very sad to see.

Caco

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by Smeagol » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:27 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Labour are no better in my opinion as no sensible opposition to the current madness has been offered by Corbyn et al. A country gets the leaders it deserves and never has Britain been laid so low sadly. Today represented a true nadir in the fortunes and diminution of this once great country. Very sad to see.

Caco
Caco

I suspect that our political leanings are significantly divergent, but on your statement above I have to wholeheartedly agree. Any ideas on how to reverse the process and get us some politicians who are capable and interested in something more than their own aggrandisement and enrichment( immediately on leaving office).
We hates Bagginses!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Smeagol wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:27 pm
Cacophonix wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Caco
Caco

I suspect that our political leanings are significantly divergent, but on your statement above I have to wholeheartedly agree. Any ideas on how to reverse the process and get us some politicians who are capable and interested in something more than their own aggrandisement and enrichment( immediately on leaving office).
Smeagol, I guess we have different political leanings, but like many of the folks that post here in the UK at least, we are all in this damned tub together and we are shipping water. As for the politicians, I have no easy answers but I am profoundly depressed by the current situation and the kind of people, of all political stripes, who have managed to land us in this predicament! I suspect that we will all muddle through together somehow but it will take good will amongst people to rectify this situation.

Caco

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Woody » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:46 pm

When in doubt, there’s always Blazing Saddles :D

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Woody

=))

Only the second time I have laughed today! Thank you.

Caco

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:33 pm

It'll all end in tears anyway, Corbyn or Johnson.

One is beginning to understand the rationale behind the French Revolution - after all these years -albeit for different reasons.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:59 am

probes wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:34 am
Would/could somebody explain the mess to someone who hasn't been 'tuned in' mostly? Do they have a clue at all? About what's going to happen if A, B or C. Or zero plan.
Essentially the position is that for the second time in two years the UK's Conservative Party have decided to forgo serving the interests of the UK and its people and instead indulge in another leadership competition.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -deal.html
On a dramatic day at Westminster, hardline Eurosceptics went public with their bid to oust the Prime Minister, following the resignation of Dominic Raab, Esther McVey and two junior ministers over Brexit.

Jacob Rees-Mogg confronted Mrs May in the Commons before holding an extraordinary Press conference outside Parliament, saying he had submitted a letter of no confidence in her. Another 15 MPs also announced they had submitted letters in a bid to reach the threshold of 48 needed to trigger a confidence vote.
Like a darkened landscape periodically illuminated by flashes of lightening the true nature of the struggle for Brexit is revealed.

A naked grab for power where everything, and certainly the financial well being of the UK and its numerous businesses, is subordinate to the personal ambitions of an absurd political class that make Lord Snooty and his Pals look like paragons of intellect and civic virtue.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Ibbie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:48 am

an absurd political class that make Lord Snooty and his Pals look like paragons of intellect and civic virtue.
Far too many of them have never had a propper job outside of politics or are living off the family estate.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by probes » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:40 am

fin wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 pm
As I was raised with a very healthy respect for things British and UKish,...
...even the California wildfires have become political and ugly.
same here.
Dunno. Maybe the man is just an animal who for some reason does not use their teeth to kill for food, and the food has become different, too.
Blair should have been forced to see the country through the 'day after', maybe?

Sisemen

#19 Post by Sisemen » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:50 am

An Australian Prime Minister (Paul Keating) once said, and I paraphrase, “Never get between a Eurocrat and a bucket of money”. Brussels’ aim is to keep the money rolling in and punish the Brits, because if they don’t Europe is heading for a financial cliff. Unfortunately the Brits have, to date, been too polite to say “Feck your Europe”

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Woody » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:00 am

I might have to bring my retirement plan to the more politically stable South Africa forward at this rate :))
When all else fails, read the instructions.