Strasbourg shooting

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Strasbourg shooting

#1 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Another triumph for the EU's open borders policy as after the shootings the terrorist took a taxi from France into Germany - five minutes from the city centre - and disappeared.

Capetonian

Re: Strasbourg shooting

#2 Post by Capetonian » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:44 pm

I understood from yesterday's news reports that they knew who he was and that they had cornered him. If that's true I fail to understand why they didn't give him a high-speed lead injection.

Apparently he was one of many thousands of people who were known to the forces as a risk.

As you say another great triumph for the open borders policy and huge thanks to Frau Merkel.

When I dictated this into my phone Frau Merkel came out as 'throw makeup'.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:47 pm

No news on capture of the terrorist. Probably on the way to commit another atrocity in Frankfurt a. M., they are pretty lax on security there.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:05 pm

It is worth pointing out to the Trumpeteers that this man was NOT a 'migrant' but was a French national, born in France.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by BenThere » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:00 pm

It is worth pointing out to the Trumpeteers that this man was NOT a 'migrant' but was a French national, born in France.
Therefore he was assimilated, right?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Ben - I believe 'born' means 'born'? I'm struggling with 'assimilated' - can you elaborate? Apart from medical definitions I can only find:-
"to take in and incorporate as one's own; absorb: He assimilated many new experiences on his European trip. to bring into conformity with the customs, attitudes, etc., of a group, nation, or the like; adapt or adjust: to assimilate the new immigrants."

So what is your point? My point was that he was not a 'migrant'. are you disputing that?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by BenThere » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:30 pm

No, Boac. My point is that his being born in Germany didn't make him German. He never was.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:19 pm

But he'd been serving a prison sentence in Germany. And the Germans, unaware he was on a French watch list, sent him back to Strasbourg. Usual ineptness.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:11 pm

"My point is that his being born in Germany didn't make him German. He never was." - apart from the fact that (I believe) he was born in France :)) - you are saying that The Chump's father was not an American? Heavens - this is scandalous! This is far worse than the Obama Fake News!

How do you define nationality? I take it from your post that you accept he was not a migrant, which is, I think, where we came in. Or, of course, Chump's father was a migrant - which is it?

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:15 pm

It's irrelevant now as he is dead. Good riddance, whatever nationality he was.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by om15 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 pm

It is not inconceivable that this person could shortly be the UK Home Secretary, this is her stance on terror organisations and her opinions on how we should protect our Country.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Boac » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Cape - amen to that, but to suggest The Chump's father was not an American?............

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by BenThere » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:33 pm

Being American is almost by definition being a migrant or a few generations descended from elsewhere. European nations are different. Most Europeans trace many generations of ancestry to their homelands. Most Americans don't. We've been a melting pot since our earliest days as a nation - English, Scots, Germans, Poles, Scandanavians, Asians - all came together to forge the greatest nation the earth has ever known.

We have our troubles from time to time but the USA is world class and every nation aspires to achieve what we have. Call that a chauvinistic view, but facts are facts, and most of the sniping we get, even from our purported friends, is simple envy.

Whether this perp was born in Germany, France or wherever, he was never a native, and was bred and raised in an alien culture that somehow nurtured in him a desire to kill innocent people out Christmas shopping. How quaint!

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:51 pm

BenThere wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:33 pm
Whether this perp was born in Germany, France or wherever, he was never a native, and was bred and raised in an alien culture that somehow nurtured in him a desire to kill innocent people out Christmas shopping. How quaint!
How quaint, an American pontificating about a crazy gun man shooting innocent people.

And they say Americans don't do irony.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by BenThere » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:10 pm

It's not irony, it's reality. The Western European nations that brought in mass immigration of Muslims, many of whom proved to be murderously hostile to the people who welcomed them, are now taking their hits from their policy.

I suppose you didn't know that Western Europe, with sane gun control, has has more mass murders by guns than the US over the last decade? And if you want to go all the way back to 1939, Europe is way, way ahead in the killing race.

The American dilemma between 2nd Amendment rights and gun crime is a separate issue. I concede we have a violent society. The rub is do we surrender to it or fight it.

The Islamization of Europe, and all that entails, is completely different. America won't Islamize for a long time. We'll just watch Europe do it and decide it's a bad thing.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:06 am

BenThere wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:10 pm
I suppose you didn't know that Western Europe, with sane gun control, has has more mass murders by guns than the US over the last decade?
No, I didn't know that and you seem to have neglected to provide a reference to substantiate it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... s-cdc-2017
39,773 people in the US lost their lives at the point of a gun, marking the onward march of firearm fatalities in a country renowned for its lax approach to gun controls. When adjusted for age fluctuations, that represents a total of 12 deaths per 100,000 people – up from 10.1 in 2010 and the highest rate since 1996.

What that bare statistic represents in terms of human tragedy is most starkly reflected when set alongside those of other countries. According to a recent study from the Jama Network, it compares with rates of 0.2 deaths per 100,000 people in Japan, 0.3 in the UK, 0.9 in Germany and 2.1 in Canada.
...2017 saw the deadliest mass shooting by an individual to take place in the country in modern history, when 58 people died in the 1 October rampage on the Las Vegas Strip
Just to put things in perspective.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by BenThere » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:38 am

Review this research and come to your own conclusions.

https://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/compa ... nd-europe/

Maybe It's just me, but I don't think suicides by firearm should be treated the same as felonious violence. If you take out suicides, US gun deaths reported and used to argue for gun control decrease substantially. Also, a large portion of the gun violence in the US occurs in urban settings between gangbangers and drug dealers. My sympathies for that element I withhold.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by Jetex Jim » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:57 am

The suicides are worth a mention because they are related to uncontrolled gun owner ship but take them out and your assertion about European guns deaths still does not hold up.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OFSO » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Well, they shot the seeming perpetrator of the Strasbourg massacre. So it is stand down from the red alert as problem solved. Until the next one...

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by John Hill » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:07 pm

BenThere wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:30 pm
No, Boac. My point is that his being born in Germany didn't make him German. He never was.
Shades of Racial Hygiene! :(
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.