Is the Guardian a biased rag?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Is the Guardian a biased rag?

#81 Post by BenThere » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:45 pm

What I like about Guardian is that it is well-written and edited. Of course I disagree with its political slant/bias generally, but I consider it my duty to continued review of alternate viewpoints so as to arrive at a considered and informed outlook. Often Guardian inspires my own contrary talking points. Guardian's op-ed writers get me up and jumping.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:12 pm

well-written and edited
- ha! Just how do you think it got the name 'The Grauniad'?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:27 pm

I think he's comparing it with US papers ;)))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:06 pm

Aha! As the RAF instructor's report on flying lessons with Bloggs went

"He continually sets himself a low standard but fails to achieve it"

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#85 Post by Krystal n Chips » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 am

Slasher wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:34 am
om15 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 am
Not recommended if you haven't had breakfast yet,

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... hotographs
A real snatch-a-palooza that one, even if there are some godawful vomit-inducers in the photo grid.

No wonder it's K&C's favorite rag! :))
Another mention for that montage and how this depicts those who can be defined, as I said, in more basic Anglo-Saxon terms. Here's just such a collective example.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -far-right

Mind you, there are those in our midst who proudly proclaimed their unswerving allegiance to the party, including, as I said, their membership number for all the world to see ( any correlation between the tv series "Dumber and Dumber " being an unfortunate coincidence) so presumably they may be more reticent to add their staunch support to this renaissance .....

Capetonian

#86 Post by Capetonian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 am

You really are a complete and utter prick.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#87 Post by Krystal n Chips » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:47 am

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 am
You really are a complete and utter prick.
Thank you, and in which case, I may well have been welcomed by the ladies who were depicted ...unless they were lesbians that is, and to save you wondering I know several ladies who are gay and who are very nice people.....however, you mention the above term so, here's an example from the biased Guardian, of somebody who could be said to be a hermaphrodite when it comes to Anglo Saxon terms.....

One hesitates to recourse to Victorian erotica, but, are you a member ?...as I alluded to earlier that is .

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... lboy-posts

Capetonian

#88 Post by Capetonian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 am

Maybe the Guardian Children's edition would appreciate your meaningless and puerile pseudo-intellectual babble, and feeble-witted attempts at insults, although on reflection having a children's edition would be superfluous, as you perfectly demonstrate with each of your postings.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#89 Post by Krystal n Chips » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:26 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 am
Maybe the Guardian Children's edition would appreciate your meaningless and puerile pseudo-intellectual babble, and feeble-witted attempts at insults, although on reflection having a children's edition would be superfluous, as you perfectly demonstrate with each of your postings.
" You really are a complete and utter prick "

Not a statement that could ever be offered in respect of yourself you will be delighted to learn.... as evidenced by the erudite and succinct statement above .

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:55 pm

BenThere wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:45 pm
What I like about Guardian is that it is well-written and edited. Of course I disagree with its political slant/bias generally, but I consider it my duty to continued review of alternate viewpoints so as to arrive at a considered and informed outlook. Often Guardian inspires my own contrary talking points. Guardian's op-ed writers get me up and jumping.
A fair comment BenThere and I agree with your ethos.

Caco

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:20 pm

All newspapers are and always have been biased IMHO, but I read a selection of on-line newspapers to keep myself informed of important events, entertainment (articles in the Daily Wail)and information on topics that I am interested in.

The Guardian is not to my personal political leanings, but I do appreciate their professional journalism and their Long Reads are usually well worth reading.

The Beeb also provides some interesting articles as well.

Sky News is also IMHO worth a look. The Independent and the Telegraph get a glance but both of their websites irritate me.

The Daily Mail.............I find it user friendly and entertaining in an irritating way.(Over use of 'life changing', 'hilarious' 'fighting for his life' And screaming passengers and cabin crew etc ) 8-|
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Capetonian

#92 Post by Capetonian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:04 pm

The Mail has good business and money sections.

It's always good for a laugh, as the serious press tends not to report items such as this :
It was also claimed that he mocked a male employee's dreadlocks and referred to him 'throwing spears in the jungle'.
....... referring to Philip Green.

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#93 Post by Nick Riviera » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:31 pm

Krystal n Chips wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 am
Slasher wrote:
om15 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 am
Not recommended if you haven't had breakfast yet,

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... hotographs
A real snatch-a-palooza that one, even if there are some godawful vomit-inducers in the photo grid.

( any correlation between the tv series "Dumber and Dumber " being an unfortunate coincidence)
Oh dear. If you want to highlight how stupid anyone is it is best to reference a tv series that actually exists. By not doing so it just highlights your own ignorance. Typical Marxist. Don't you ever get upset about always being wrong?

Capetonian

#94 Post by Capetonian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:39 pm

Don't you ever get upset about always being wrong?
Nick, you don't realise.
Rule No 1 : A Marxist is never wrong..
Rule No 2 : When a Marxist is wrong, refer to rule number 1.
Chorus : Repeat ad infinitum.

That is how they live in blissful ignorance of how the real world works.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#95 Post by Krystal n Chips » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Nick Riviera wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:31 pm
Krystal n Chips wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 am
Slasher wrote:

( any correlation between the tv series "Dumber and Dumber " being an unfortunate coincidence)
Oh dear. If you want to highlight how stupid anyone is it is best to reference a tv series that actually exists. By not doing so it just highlights your own ignorance. Typical Marxist. Don't you ever get upset about always being wrong?
I had no idea you were a covert Marxist Nick !

Sadly, unless you think this is a hologram perhaps?....alas.... your intro ringeth true unto yourself.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386181/

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:55 pm

To think that Katharine Viner's well edited and written newspaper and left leaning digital news source could cause such vitriol! =))

Caco (aka Comrade Caco)

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by FD2 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:17 am

In the spirit of praise where praise is due, there is an excellent and well written piece in today's Grauniad about the laundering of dirty Russian money:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... laundromat

The journalist mentioned that a scheme of Prince Charlie's may have received laundered funds...but specifically stating that 'There is no suggestion that end recipients of funds were aware of the original source of the money'.

More power to Bill Browder for shedding light on these gangsters after the Magnitsky murder - no wonder Putin is trying so hard to get hold of him! Also to the Guardian for publishing the article. :YMAPPLAUSE:

I still can't stand the whingers like Toynbee though....

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:09 am

FD2 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:17 am
In the spirit of praise where praise is due, there is an excellent and well written piece in today's Grauniad about the laundering of dirty Russian money:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... laundromat

The journalist mentioned that a scheme of Prince Charlie's may have received laundered funds...but specifically stating that 'There is no suggestion that end recipients of funds were aware of the original source of the money'.

More power to Bill Browder for shedding light on these gangsters after the Magnitsky murder - no wonder Putin is trying so hard to get hold of him! Also to the Guardian for publishing the article. :YMAPPLAUSE:

I still can't stand the whingers like Toynbee though....

Fair comment FD2.

I must say I agree about Polytechnic. She is a bit of a whinger and a stalwart from the days of hot metal and the Grauniad's hilarious typos.

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 am

Serendipity again. Literally just finished my comment about Polly Toynbee and switched on Radio 4 to hear her being interviewed, with a former high flying Financial Times journalist who has become a teacher, and she was talking a great deal of sense about UK teachers' status on Radio 4.

The Guardian wouldn't be the Guardian without Ms Toynbee I guess.

Caco

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#100 Post by Nick Riviera » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:16 am

In light of our Marxist's response I apologise to him and admit my ignorance in this matter. I have absolutely no problem with holding my hands up when I'm wrong. Gratifying to note that after all these years he has finally made a comment which is true :-bd