Is the Guardian a biased rag?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Is the Guardian a biased rag?

#21 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:53 pm

2 years ago my UK based Son bought me a subscription to the Guardian Weekly, now a "colour magazine" but still keeps me in touch with the World, local NZ Press is overburdened with the almost daily doings of current and past All Black rugby players, the "magnificient" performance of our present, young, female, unmarried new Mother, Prime Minister, and the latest protest by some indigenous tribe demanding redress, usually of a financial nature ( surprise, surprise ! ) for long past events deemed to be against their best interest. Internet perusal of foreign publications almost always brings me up against - "content not permitted in your area" ( yes, I have heard of VPN's ) At least the G.W. keeps me in touch with the World, maybe biased, but then as always, talk to three people and get five answers, so it's little worse than anything else (except the Sun ?)

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by FD2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:01 pm

I keep an imaginary salt cellar next to the PC to dip into when I read the Guardian. The standard of writing is usually good but one has to mentally remove the sneering and insulting words so that it conveys more or the reality of its stories. Agree about the Telegraph - it used to be pretty unbiased but now just seems to be published to stir up controversy with over-exaggerated stories. It always used to be an 'establishment' paper but the running joke was that the Telegraph was read by people who thought they ran the country but the Times was read by those who really do. Now I don't know where to go for unbiased news coverage - there is always a hidden agenda.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by llondel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:35 am

It's definitely biased, all of them are.

The trick is to know which way is it biased and calibrate the tone of the articles accordingly. Read the article, figure out which axe is being ground and adjust your thinking.

Of course, the one to challenge them on is tax avoidance, their stance on it and their corporate financial structure.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#24 Post by Krystal n Chips » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 am

FD2 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:01 pm
I keep an imaginary salt cellar next to the PC to dip into when I read the Guardian. The standard of writing is usually good but one has to mentally remove the sneering and insulting words so that it conveys more or the reality of its stories. Agree about the Telegraph - it used to be pretty unbiased but now just seems to be published to stir up controversy with over-exaggerated stories. It always used to be an 'establishment' paper but the running joke was that the Telegraph was read by people who thought they ran the country but the Times was read by those who really do. Now I don't know where to go for unbiased news coverage - there is always a hidden agenda.
Ever helpful, this advert will ensure your search for unbiased news is fulfilled when you commence reading the paper in depth.

The advert also exemplifies my own philosophical stance on life.....and another reason why I query the outlandish self aggrandizing claims on websites...amongst other sources including those in the real world.

I know it says the advert is disabled, but, all you and others have to do is click on the helpfully underlined link.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:19 am

FFS Krystal.
This is meant to be a forum for pilots, would be pilots, or folk interested in aeroplanes wot think like pilots.

You should be haunting the local gay hotline.

You are most unlike any pilot wot I ever met.
Or engineer
Or bag chucker.
Or even, female cabin crew.

Ever though of taking up needlework?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:36 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:19 am
FFS Krystal.
This is meant to be a forum for pilots, would be pilots, or folk interested in aeroplanes wot think like pilots.

Or engineer
Or bag chucker.

Well there is of course the secret "Gay Pilots on Acid" thread on this forum, but you have to be invited to join that!

Oops I have said too much! =))

Caco

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:49 am

Cackers.
I'm just going to send you a pm

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:51 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:49 am
Cackers.
I'm just going to send you a pm

Looking out Atom! =))

Caco

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Boac » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:54 am

the secret "Gay Pilots on Acid"
....but that's how we met, Caco................ =))

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:55 am

Boac wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:54 am
the secret "Gay Pilots on Acid"
....but that's how we met, Caco................ =))
Sssh Boac… :))

Caco

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#31 Post by Krystal n Chips » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:11 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:36 am
AtomKraft wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:19 am
FFS Krystal.

Or engineer
Or bag chucker.

Well there is of course the secret "Gay Pilots on Acid" thread on this forum, but you have to be invited to join that!

Caco
I am pleased to say I can represent engineers whenever necessity demands, I am also mortally offended, despite an impassioned plea to admin to have made it to F/O when F/E would have been far more applicable....not that I ever was, only a flying spanner at times...and yes, I have done some needlework in my time..sowing gliders back together ....weft and warp and all that...even got asked a question about this on my licence...quite what the relevance to Pressurised Metal Airframes above 3750 kg ( I thunk ? ) was I have no idea.

But since you mention sexuality, and I have friends who are but I am not, here's one for the foetid imaginations of some on here.

I have been in the male toilets of a gay bar, the"Via Fossa " in Manchester with a subsequent Tory MP....he was a classic of the species actually, vain, self centred and money grabbing...as his constituents discovered...so they booted him out .

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Just pulling your leg K&C! o:-)

I have a warped sense of humour! ;)))

Caco

Slasher

#33 Post by Slasher » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Cacophonix wrote:

Hey...how come you never invited ME to that thread mate? I thort we was buddies! :-w

It's because I'm not on acid isn't it. :ymsigh:

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by 1DC » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:32 pm

Forty odd years ago my boss, at the time, suggested that if i was interviewing someone for a job I should always find out what paper they read. If it was the Guardian then i should reject them because they would always be a trouble maker!!

Capetonian

#35 Post by Capetonian » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:49 pm

I have heard that sound piece of advice before. I have never offered employment to anyone with leftist tendencies. They are lazy, self-righteous, confrontational, pig-headed, devious, and disruptive.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:30 pm

1DC wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:32 pm
Forty odd years ago my boss, at the time, suggested that if i was interviewing someone for a job I should always find out what paper they read. If it was the Guardian then i should reject them because they would always be a trouble maker!!
Lateral, thinkers, highly skilled, leaders who plough their own furrows and who are very modest too! =))

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Slasher wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:07 pm
Cacophonix wrote:

Hey...how come you never invited ME to that thread mate? I thort we was buddies! :-w

It's because I'm not on acid isn't it. :ymsigh:
Can't countenance the idea of airline Captains behaving like Timothy Leary Slash! Think what would happen if this terrible idea took off as it were! =))

Rod Slasher's inside your head?
No, no, he's outside looking in
He'll fly his astral plane
Takes you trips around the bay
Brings you back the same day

Takes off on 03, gets you back on 123...
Just in time for afternoon tea...

He'll take you up, he'll bring you down
He'll plant your feet back firmly on the ground
He flies so high, he swoops so low
He knows exactly which way he's gonna go

Rod Slasher...

Caco

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#38 Post by Krystal n Chips » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:30 pm

1DC wrote:
Caco....chill, as they say in bohemian circles....your sense of humour is fine..my reply was to Atomic Cheese which also included your quotes.

About this boss then, he wasn't an Eng.Branch incompetent tosser, this is a core requirement for entry to the Branch I should add, the one who, at HM Gulag St.Athan asked me during the annual farce known as assessments "I understand you read the Guardian Cpl Chips? ".....after a suitable pause, one duly confirmed this to be the case followed by another suitable pause and inflection as a mandatory afterthought...."sir ".

At this point I realised that I really didn't need such people attempting to think on my behalf and run my life, on their terms, for me.

As an aside, I would suggest that a hearing impairment is symptomatic of posing questions about others to either yourself, or listening to others with a similar flawed personality as the answers will always be what you want to hear and never the opposite.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:43 pm

Krystal n Chips wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:30 pm
1DC wrote:
Caco....chill, as they say in bohemian circles....your sense of humour is fine..my reply was to Atomic Cheese which also included your quotes.

About this boss then, he wasn't an Eng.Branch incompetent tosser, this is a core requirement for entry to the Branch I should add, the one who, at HM Gulag St.Athan asked me during the annual farce known as assessments "I understand you read the Guardian Cpl Chips? ".....after a suitable pause, one duly confirmed this to be the case followed by another suitable pause and inflection as a mandatory afterthought...."sir ".

At this point I realised that I really didn't need such people attempting to think on my behalf and run my life, on their terms, for me.

]As an aside, I would suggest that [highlight=yellow a hearing impairment is symptomatic of posing questions about others to either yourself, or listening to others with a similar flawed personality as the answers will always be what you want to hear and never the opposite.
[/highlight]
Move on over Schopenhauer, K&C has put the good aphorism back in vogue in town... well put!

It comes down to never hiring an idiot similar to oneself. One always needs another kind of idiot!

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:51 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:58 pm
A fair summary, Caco. I enjoy the Independent.

I must say that I always enjoy Patrick Cockburn's writing even when I don't necessarily always agree with the point or thesis that he is positing.

This article by him demonstrates what a delight he can be to read...

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/co ... 02041.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Cockburn

His father Claud was an interesting character and journalist as well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claud_Cockburn
He became a journalist with The Times and worked as a foreign correspondent in Germany and the United States before resigning in 1933 to start his own newsletter, The Week. It has been claimed that during his spell as a sub-editor on The Times, Cockburn and colleagues competed (with a small prize for the winner) to write the dullest printed headline. Cockburn only once claimed the honours, with "Small Earthquake in Chile, Not many dead". No copy of The Times featuring this headline has been located although it did finally appear, decades after the recollection, in Not the Times, a spoof version of the newspaper produced by several journalists at The Times in 1979 during the paper's year-long absence due to an industrial dispute.

Caco