Are the Police fit for purpose

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Smeagol
Capt
Capt

Re: Are the Police fit for purpose

#41 Post by Smeagol » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:42 pm

The short answer to the question in the thread title is - No!

My recent discussions with Greater Manchester Police confirms this.
On Thursday last week I received a Notice of Intended Prosecution from the aforementioned body, accusing me of exceeding the speed limit by a significant margin on 13the of the month on the A5103 in Greater Manchester. Several points of note:
I have not been to Manchester for years (But to be fair they are not to know that).
The registration number of the vehicle they photographed was once assigned to my current car but via the DVLA this was replaced by my personal registration when I purchased the vehicle well over a year ago.
The car photographed committing the offence, whilst being the same type (a Mercedes) it is quite obviously a different model.
The ticket issuing authority used contacted the DVLA to obtain the vehicle keepers details. Mine were given despite their own website showing the vehicle as unregistered and them taking £80 from me to replace the offending number with my own.
So Manchester Police take the easy option and send me a NIP despite it being obvious to anyone with half a brain that the car in question did not belong to me.

This sorry saga was compounded by the 'run around' I received from all involved when attempting to challenge the NIP. An initial call to GMP Ticket Office noted my call but told me to contact the DVLA as the number had obviously been cloned. I protested that they should be doing that rather than me, the victim of a misplaced NIP. "Oh no sir we don't do that it is up to you". So I did and was told to contact my local police and obtain a Crime Number then report it to the DVLA. I duly called my local (Norfolk) police and after a period of some 45 minutes spoke to a person who informed me that she could not give me a number as no crime had been committed! On questioning that was not cloning a registration number on a vehicle and therefore driving said vehicle without insurance, tax (OK, Vehicle Excise Duty) and probably MOT a crime? I was informed that it was not a crime against me as I had not suffered material loss! I was incredulous but despite telling them I had been instructed to request same by the DVLA Norfolk plod would not budge, no crime number.

So it was back to Manchester plod who now informed me that they would need to involve a supervisor who would ring me back. Two working days have passed with no call from them. No call tomorrow will have me on the phone again on Wednesday and will be even more pissed off than I am now. If I do not get satisfactory answers to some pertinent questions and the NIP withdrawn the Ticket Office Manager will be getting a long, detailed and uncomplimentary letter from me.
We hates Bagginses!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:06 pm

A neighbour received several tickets alleging that her vehicle had transgressed despite the photographs supplied being of a different make and model - it seemed that a 6 was being interpreted as a 9.

It took the neighbour several letters of increasing 'aggression' before the issuing authority took notice and ceased sending the notices for this different vehicle.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#43 Post by Smeagol » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:53 pm

Update on #41

Despite a further call to GMP Ticket Office and being promised a call from a supervisor. Again. No call has been received. However, a detailed and none too complimentary letter has been sent to the manager of the aforementioned GMP Ticket Office, even used the pre-paid envelope for sending NIP back and admitting guilt. Neither were enclosed.
We hates Bagginses!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:08 pm

Smeagol, was the NIP inside the 14 days?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:07 pm

Smeagol,

I had a something remarkably similar a couple of years ago.

Fortunately for me, I was able to retrieve the GPS tracklog of my car for that whole day and show very exactly where my car was on that day. I sent them the tracklog of the prior and ensuing journeys to that time. I also sent them (Police Scotland) a Google Earth graphical plot of the tracklog data which showed very clearly that I'd been nowhere near Glasgow on the date in question.

I heard nothing back from them. Pity, as I was warming up for a fight in the Sheriff Court. I'd have represented myself because I don't trust **** lawyers and I had so much incontrovertible data at my fingertips that I'd have wiped the floor with the Procurator Fiscal's arse. I know a quite senior editor in The Hootsmon and I'd have made sure that the PF and Polizei Schottland got maximum adverse publicity.

On a slightly different topic, I do remember an amusing and perhaps apocryphal anecdote from the early days of that thing of sending a speeder a photo of the car with a subtitle of the measured speed together with a demand for a cheque for the fined amount.

Some smartarse thought it would be funny to send back a photo of a cheque for the required amount. The cops replied by sending him a photo of a pair of handcuffs. He paid up!

There's another, perhaps also apocryphal, tale of Lothian & Borders Police sending a speed camera picture of a Harrier GR7 at low level, scooting past a cop-car parked near the summit of Soutra, at 483 mph, to either Wittering or to Main Bldg. The RAF sent the photo back to the cops, with red circles around the underwing stores and with a cover letter pointing out that those spikey-looking things were anti-radar guided-missiles. =))

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#46 Post by Smeagol » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:06 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:08 pm
Smeagol, was the NIP inside the 14 days?
Yes, it was according to the dates given. But how would I know if they are correct, I was not there?
We hates Bagginses!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:29 pm

Worth checking anyway. I had one raised about day 9 (not a speed cam one). It obviously moved from one on tray to another on the Thursday having been written the day before, then to Admin who probably actioned it Friday, mail out Friday PM, handled by post office Monday and I got it on day 16. As it was postmarked on day 14 it was game, set and match. I didn't even need to keep the evidence. The policeman involved said tear it up.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:03 am

If the purpose is abducting and murdering young women, clearly 'Yes!'

What are the odds that PC Murderer turns out to be one of the recent ethnic recruitees? Guess we'll need to wait and see....

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#49 Post by k3k3 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:44 am

I read he was a 40 year old firearms officer, so can't be a too recent recruit.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#50 Post by Rossian » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 am

AK -and all the photos in the papers show a caucasian male. I think it's called jumping to confusions.

The Ancient Mariner

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:49 am

The Met certainly do manage to surprise.........

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:10 am

Rossian. Pravda.
He looks more like a skinhead/ thug/ white supremacist.....ie a cop.😂

He's 48 btw.

Gor Blimey! Thank Goodness for the good old boys in blue.....

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:17 pm

The policeman arrested on suspicion of killing Sarah Everard has been to be rushed to hospital with head injuries after being found hurt in his custody cell.
Armed diplomatic officer Wayne Couzens, 48, was found unconscious in Wandsworth police station earlier today.
He was rushed to hospital under armed guard after being given first aid before being returned to the station after treatment.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:31 pm

30 odd years ago I was on my way home late one evening from the theatre when a marked Police car ran a red light at speed at a crossroads and turned left in front of me. I nearly collided with him - if I had rammed the rear of his car it would probably have been determined as my fault if I wasn't believed at the subsequent enquiry. He wasn't on a blues and twos call and as they drove away three faces looked back at me from the rear seat. I made a complaint. That was a mistake.

When an Inspector and Sergeant visited the house a day or so later it turned out the Police car should have been a single crewed vehicle. The driver was giving four off duty policemen a lift home from a party. He got a bollocking. I got an uncomfortable feeling for about four months afterwards that, on many occasions whilst driving my car, a marked police car was close up in my mirrors......paranoid, moi? Surely not.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Police identify body of Sarah Everard, who went missing in London

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/12/uk/sarah ... index.html

Police identify body of Sarah Everard, who went missing in London
By Rob Picheta, Amy Cassidy, Zahid Mahmood and Schams Elwazer, CNN

Updated 9:59 AM ET, Fri March 12, 2021

London (CNN)British police confirmed Friday that they had identified the body of 33-year-old Sarah Everard, whose disappearance while walking home in London sparked an outpouring across social media from women sharing their own experiences of sexual assault and harassment.

Detectives searching for the woman found a body in woodland in Kent on Wednesday evening, said Nick Ephgrave, Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police. "I can now confirm that it is the body of Sarah Everard."
A serving Metropolitan Police officer has been arrested on suspicion of Everard's kidnap and murder.
"A man remains in custody at a London police station on suspicion of committing those crimes," Ephgrave said. A post-mortem examination will now take place on Everard's remains.
Everard disappeared on March 3 while walking in Clapham, south London, prompting an extensive police search in the area.
Her remains were eventually found more than 50 miles from where she was last seen. A police officer whose "primary role was uniformed patrol duties of diplomatic premises" was arrested in Kent on Tuesday evening.

Sarah Everard case prompts outpouring from women sharing stories of abuse and harassment on UK streets
On Friday, Everard's family described her as a "shining example" who was "kind and strong" as they appealed for anyone with information to help detectives.
"Sarah was bright and beautiful -- a wonderful daughter and sister. She was kind and thoughtful, caring and dependable. She always put others first and had the most amazing sense of humour," her family said.
On Thursday, the police watchdog said in a statement that it had started an independent investigation into police actions involving the suspect.
"I know that the public feels hurt and angry about what has happened. And those are sentiments that I share personally, and I know my colleagues here at Scotland Yard and across the Met share as well," Ephgrave said on Friday.
Everard's disappearance prompted thousands of women to share their own experiences of intimidation or harassment while walking alone at night in British cities and around the world.
Many also exchanged notes on the habitual precautions they take to try to stay safe when they walk alone -- and voiced their anger and frustration that this feels necessary.
"I understand that women in London and the wider public, particularly those in the area where Sarah went missing, will be worried and may well be feeling frightened," Ephgrave said Friday, adding that Londoners could expect to see a rise in officers on the street in the coming days.
A "Reclaim These Streets" vigil has been organized via Facebook for 6 p.m. Saturday on Clapham Common, a green space Everard walked near at around 9 p.m. as she headed toward her home in Brixton.
It is unclear whether the event can legally go ahead, given the UK's current Covid-19 restrictions banning public gatherings. Organizers have said police have reversed the position and would not allow it to take place, a move they are challenging in the courts.

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:44 pm

His MiL said he was a nice man. He had gone for a walk by the river with his children. He would visit in Ukraine and was learning Ukrainian but not very well.

He was also being investigated for two indecents exposure in a fast food restaurant. Two other police are being investigated for how the complaint of IE was handled.

Were they present in a finger licken and did nothing or did they try and cover up?

It goes back to my earlier post. If the police are the perpetrators what hope is there?

PS, is this his first transgression?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:11 pm

Is this a 'one-off' - or the tip of a serial killing?

The circumstances don't seem to add up.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:50 pm

G CPTN, 3 incidents in short order. I heard they were already investigating him for the exposure incidents.

Big cop, swinging dick or something much more?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:23 pm

The speed at which events moved after his arrest had me thinking did he 'fess up to where the body was or had plod been watching him for other reasons long before the willy-waving incident?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:26 pm

The police would have access to ANPR data to track his vehicle and 'phone movement records to track his movements.