Chaos in France

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in France

#161 Post by barkingmad » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:40 am

Manu Macroon could always call upon the resources of the EU Army to assist in keeping La Belle France moving and functioning during the current disruption crisis.

Ah, I forgot, the new military force has not yet been issued with uniforms and broomsticks as per Dads’ Army early episodes.....

Capetonian

#162 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:27 am

Thursday I believe will be worse than Tuesday. ATC, pilots, Air Frog, etc.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#163 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:38 pm

the new military force has not yet been issued with uniforms and broomsticks as per Dads’ Army early episodes.....
Perhaps, like Dad's Army (just been rewatching it!) they can get their weapons from a museum, like pikestaffs.

Perhaps the protestors might also visit a museum, and rescue a guillotine ;)))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by barkingmad » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:04 am

“and rescue a guillotine”.
As this particular piece of machinery was invented in Halifax, north England’s former textile weaving territory, perhaps reopening the production line would aid the regeneration of the ‘Northern Powerhouse’ and bring much needed employment to this blighted area.
I must forward my ideas for the modern lightweight trailer-portable version to Andy Burnham, Manchester mayor and self-appointed Czar of the NorthWest, for consideration to receive an EUSSR development grant before BRINO occurs. :((

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:35 pm

SNCF just mailed me to say that my train "home" next week...........is running as normal. Well, whoop de f*cking whoop. And nine out of ten trains in France are running tomorrow. The latest French fiasco, can't even organise a general strike properly so I can stay in London.....

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:13 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:35 pm
nine out of ten trains in France are running tomorrow.
An advert on the radio for car insurance claims that 20% of customers pay 25% less - which means that 80% of customers don't . . .

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#167 Post by OFSO » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:33 pm

The French government has done what it does best - raised the white flag and surrendered. They are scrapping the raising of the pension age to 64 and leaving it at 62. Keeping his face straight, the head of the transport union congratulated the government on 'negotiating' and 'compromising' and said that the strikes which have paralysed France since October will be reviewed. Discussions on what this capitulation by the government will do to the massive budgetary deficit will take place 'later'.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#168 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:41 am

Many complaints yesterday from expats who stayed in Spain over Christmas and counted on Aldi to supply their wants and needs. ALDI's stock of items made in Germany (i.e. not sourced locally) was down near zero as truckers couldn't get through France due to strike-blocked roads. Noticed on Tuesday night after (eventually) getting off the train that thousands of trucks were parked up at La Jonquera heading north. French strikers have been stopping trucks carrying food from Spain into France and destroying their contents. Vive the EU ! Vive l'entant cordiale !

Capetonian

#169 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:47 am

Noticed on Tuesday night after (eventually) getting off the train that thousands of trucks were parked up at La Jonquera heading north
The puti-clubs on the ES side will be doing well out of that!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#170 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:50 pm

My SNCF app and SNCF Infolignes website differ from each other regarding strike-cancelled trains and no doubt also from reality. Silver Lining department: SNCF have so many claims for refunds that they have had to hire extra staff to deal with them, thus reducing France's unemployment figures.....

Capetonian

#171 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:26 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... the-world/
French food is still the best in the world – here's why

Drivel like this perpetuates the myth that Frog food, which is generally overpriced crap served up by sullen arrogant waiters, is the best in the world.

And so this pompous wanker who is besotted with anything Frog goes on. Most of the reader comments shoot him down in flames, including mine.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#172 Post by OFSO » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Just got Gov advice about travel to France. "Don't kiss a Chinaman." Thanks, but I wasn't planning to !

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#173 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:00 pm

Probably best not to kiss a 'Frog' either.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#174 Post by barkingmad » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:16 am

There are reports that Julian Assange’s lawyers are proposing to seek asylum for him in France?

That should improve communications between the Great Satan west of 30W and President Macroon.

Maybe it’ll distract Macroon from announcing silly aspirations over what he expects from the UK if/when we finally escape the clutches of the Franco German alliance sometime this year, as 1st July and 31st December are two significant dates in the saga calendar.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by BenThere » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:44 am

French food is still the best in the world – here's why:

I'm a fan of French cuisine. The flavors, herbs, sauces, and attention paid to preparation are the paragon of cuisine in my opinion. The few times I've splurged on Michelin starred restaurants in France, while expensive, have been memorable and rewarding, all things considered. My overall view is that the French do elegance at a world class level, most particularly in the area of cuisine and the accompanying wine. And at the local Mom and Pop restaurant the 8-10 or so Euro plat du jour lunch promises to be tasty, well-prepared and served, with a liter of fine red on the side. After lunch you stroll to the patisserie and another world opens up.

Other world corners have their culinary enticements as well. Barbecue in Texas, Dim Sum in Hong Kong, Sushi in Osaka, Oysters in Florida or Louisiana, Bratwurst and Schnitzel in Germany, Pasta and its variable and delectable variants in Italy, chocolate in Belgium, and my latest discovery, the magnificent seafood and its preparation in coastal Caribbean Mexico.

Later this year, when Winter comes again, the wife and I are planning a trip with friends to Brazil and Argentina, where beef steaks are highly regarded. Fortunately the US dollar buys a lot these days in Latin America. I've been told a nice steak dinner with a fine Malbec red runs about $10 USD in Rio or Buenos Aires. That perks up my ears.

Capetonian

#176 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:27 pm

I find it hard to agree, although FR food and wine, at the very top rarified end where you are paying stratospheric prices for a meal or a bottle of wine might be very good.
Better restaurants than the average French fare abound in Italy, Hungary, Poland, Austria, Spain, Germany, and South Africa, to name just a few, and at prices which are affordable for a majority of people, whereas in FR the top end ones are only for people on inflated expense accounts or the super-rich and pretentious types who have yachts with helicopter landing pads at St. Tropez and Beaulieu-sur-Mer, mostly nouveau-riche Russians and wealthy Ragheads.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#177 Post by OFSO » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:35 pm

I'll say it one more time: from Friday lunchtime until Sunday evening, every Catalan restaurant within two hours drive of the border with France is booked solid, midday and evening, with French diners who come down to enjoy superior food, friendly service, and reasonable prices, all of which are unknown in their own wretched surly strike-bound country.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#178 Post by BenThere » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:03 pm

I may be coming to Northern Spain over the next year or so. What do you recommend as signature local dining fare, OFSO?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#179 Post by OFSO » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:58 pm

I have no idea what the word 'signature' means in this context ! The locals will tell you the cuisine is from sea and mountain, and that sums it up. All good. If I'm still here when you come it would give me the greatest pleasure for me to take you to one or two places.

sidevalve
ATPL
ATPL

#180 Post by sidevalve » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:20 pm

I've visited the Petritegi Cider House several times.. It's always been a memorable experience. Go there hungry.. Expect to pay 30-35€ inc wine.
It's just outside San Sebastian. Highly recommended.