A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in Scotland.

#1541 Post by FD2 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:26 am

Peter Murrell Arrested

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... an-58.html

Of course, this has nothing to do whatsoever with her resigning as Leaderene of the SNP. Let's get that absolutely straight OK? :ymdevil: =)) :))

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#1542 Post by k3k3 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:29 am

Never believe anything until it has been officially denied, well, she has stated that her resignation had nothing to do with SNP finances!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1543 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:03 pm

£600,000 - Chicken feed!

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1544 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:06 pm

Will Wee Nikki also have her collar felt???

no sniggering at the back there
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1545 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:19 pm

I refer the Honorable Gentlemen to the answer I gave some moments ago (Feb 15th)
sudden resignations by first thingummies, which are not uncommon, are tied to either fraud

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1546 Post by OFSO » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:04 pm

Reports claim police are digging in Nicola Sturgeons back garden. Looking for a tin box containing £600,000 perhaps?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1547 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:12 pm

FD2 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:26 am
Peter Murrell Arrested

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... an-58.html

Of course, this has nothing to do whatsoever with her resigning as Leaderene of the SNP. Let's get that absolutely straight OK? :ymdevil: =)) :))
Not only is the above of course nothing to do with her resignation but she says this long standing rumour is only part of the reason she stepped down:-
Rossian wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:48 am
At dinner last night I was asked if I'd heard the latest rumour about our bless-ed FM. I hadn't. Allegedly(as is always the case ) our lady's affections have shifted from Auchterarder, a few miles south on the A9 to Dunblane! Seems unlikely to me but maybe th Undried Plum has some more gen on this given he lives a lot nearer the scene than I do here in the wilds of Morayshire?

The Ancient Mariner
and here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... igned.html

Undried Plum is much missed with his insight into this issue!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1548 Post by FD2 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:57 pm

"See you, see me. I was the Boss and dear auld Peter runs the dosh side. I can categorically deny that any pillow talk or breakfast chit chat strayed into the subject of where that money had gone. We had my special legacies to the people of Scotland to talk about - the ferries, education standards, drug deaths etc., and compared to those damned ferries, 600,000k is chicken feed anyway!

And youse can put this in your scurrilous paper - I want to be the next leader of the EU, though I'm really over qualified for it - and I have to be able to speak French better so I've been taking secret French lessons for years from a dear friend in Auchterarder.

That's your gas in a pipe, so bugger off and let me get on wi' packing!"

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1549 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:39 pm

Will this saga be known as "Haggisgate"?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1550 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:09 am

Reports claim police are digging in Nicola Sturgeons back garden.
Jock McPlod may have taken the expression "She'll know where the bodies are buried" a little too literally ;)))

Amazing how this all happened just after the SNP Leadership election...which is what I believe the losing contender (who was not endorsed by Sturgeon) is saying.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ion-rerun/

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1551 Post by barkingmad » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:51 am

Allegedly, Humza Yusaf has been re-labelled Humza Youseless following his abysmal track record in those positions he has been previously tasked with fulfilling.

Therefore the woke brigade are claiming racism at such a slur against a Muslim, but strangely when a Caucasian politician fails miserably in their job, of whom we can name many South of the Border, no such outcry occurs.

What am I missing here?

But the calls for a rerun of the leadership vote will not do the SNP any good as the Jock peasants’ eyes are opened to the Westmonster style sleaze now being publicised.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1552 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:21 pm

The firm that audits the SNP's finances has resigned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65212357
A spokesperson for the SNP said the party was in the process of finding a replacement firm.
A bit of a poisoned chalice I would have thought.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1553 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:33 pm

Creative accounting?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1554 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:45 pm

The accountants can only go off what they have been given. They are only paid so much for an audit, which means they can only do so much background checking.
These days, that means very little.
So says my sis, who is an accountant.
She has done a fair bit of forensic accounting, and having been a bookkeeper in business first, she has a pretty good idea when things are not as they seem, and what's probably been 'fixed'.
However, if she has no budget to delve deeper, as happens a lot these days, then she's obliged to accept what's been presented as true.
Thus, to protect the firm, accountants are pretty much obliged to drop clients who have not provided an accurate set of accounts for auditing.
It does not necessarily mean the SNP have done anything criminal, but there is obviously prima facie evidence that the accounts they provided to the accountants were not accurate.
Clients dropping money into company funds, or taking it out, to make the books balance is, shall we say, not unknown.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1555 Post by barkingmad » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:43 pm

Is it not normal practice, in the UK at any rate, for the audited customer to sign off the accounts as being true & accurate etc etc?

Therefore the blame ultimately should fall on the audited customer of the accountant, not the auditors.

However, looking at such scandals as Carillion in Blighty I gather the auditors need auditing too, if the reputation of the "Big Four" are anything to go by?

We can hardly be surprised at the decision of the SNP's accountants to run away, it's not doing much good for their reputation.

"Johnston Carmichael had spent a decade auditing the party and its decision to resign "only raises further questions about the increasingly murky picture surrounding the SNP's finances", a Conservative MSP says".

Mmmm, ten years and allegedly no concerns about the numbers, even though the queried £600,000 has been public knowledge for some time... :-w

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1556 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:25 am

The Conservative party has rejected a suggestion from its leader in Scotland that voters could tactically back Labour to oust the SNP.

Speaking to the Sunday Telegraph, Douglas Ross said "where there is the strongest candidate to beat the SNP, you get behind that candidate."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65224008

A few days before this news appeared Mrs C16 and I were coming to the conclusion that always having voted for the Conservatives as, rightly or wrongly, we assessed they were the party of least damage, we might vote Labour at the next Scottish elections in an effort to bin the dreadful SNP.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1557 Post by OFSO » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:21 pm

Police have seized a motorhome costing over £110,000 belonging to Nicola Sturgeon's mother-in-law.
I supose they are planning going on holiday in it....

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1558 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:35 pm

They must, presumably, have suspicions concerning the 'authenticity' of the campervan.

You don't just confiscate the possessions of members of the public without 'reason' . . .

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1559 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:39 pm

Wouldn't be surprised to discover that, whilst the MiL was the registered keeper, only Sturgeon & hubbie were on the insurance. Not to mention the taxman's interest in how MiL acquired the funds for such a behemoth.

I think the real question, given just about every politician in the world is up to this kind of thing, is why is this coming out, and why now?

In the interests of accuracy, it's probably best to refer to things politicians call "conspiracy theories" as "future truths" ;)))

Update: DT reporting that the MiL is aged 92, and the behemoth hasn't moved since it was delivered 2 years ago.

Update 2:
Mr Yousaf had dismissed as a “conspiracy theory” suggestions that police delayed arresting Mr Murrell until after the leadership contest could be completed.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1560 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:35 pm

Commented on elsewhere on t'internet that when she came out of her house to speak to the Press, it was noticeable she kept her left hand in her trouser pocket thus obscuring the presence, or absence, of a wedding ring. That, and the tight fitting jumper in order to keep eye levels above the waist.