Chaos in Scotland.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in Scotland.

#741 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:55 pm

As I read it, the UK Gov have finally wised up.
1. No matter how much dough they give to Scotland, the SNP will always claim it isn't enough.
2. No matter how much good the money does, the SNP take the credit.

So, logically send the money directly to where it's spent (after Councils ask for it).
Thus:
1. The money does some good and as it hasn't passed through the hands of the SNP they can't siphon any off.
2. Like those EU funded projects where you saw a 'Funded by the EU' sign nearby, It's easy to put a 'funded by Westminster' sign up nearby thus denying the SNP the credit.

Sorry, can't remember where I heard it. YouTube I think.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#742 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:04 pm

Are Swiss bank accounts involved?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#743 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 pm

Thanks om15. That’s clearer - the Councils have not yet got additional funding from Westminster. Let’s hope it does happen. I had taken your post as saying they were already receiving it.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#744 Post by FD2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:37 pm

It may be wishful thinking but I think I can detect a perceptible hardening of feeling against the SNP. It may be that people are tired of the old propaganda method of continually repeating how awful the 'Toaries' are (eventually it will be believed, though in some cases they have been, eg Covid handling in England); it may be that the scales are falling off some eyes wrt to Sturgeon's shenanigans, 'missing money', national debt; and it's certainly helped by Sunak's intention to supply the dosh direct to local councils to prevent it being syphoned off en route.

It would be great if the people of Scotland were able to have the unexpurgated, unredacted truth about so much of what goes on in their present government and the reality of what will probably happen in the future under the SNP, but that's never going to happen. The SNP have provided evidence of the way the country is likely to be run after independence as AtomKraft has pointed out and it may be better to stick with the devil you know until a better system of governance can be arranged. The trouble is bumbling Boris doesn't have enough, if any, 'street cred' in Scotland and I can't see anyone on the Government front benches who has, at present.

It's high time some of the old grievances had a proper public airing - they've festered for too long - 300 years or more in some cases! Any English politicians brave enough to take that job in hand?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#745 Post by Woody » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:11 am

Sales of popcorn have exploded this week in Jockistan :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-56231222
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#746 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:31 am

I see the item says 'key' advice. I hope there is a forensic examination looking for staple marks, documents referenced but not provided etc etc.

This could run and run.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#747 Post by om15 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:33 am

I fear for the future of those who live in Scotland.
Nicola Sturgeon is rated three times more strongly than Tory leader Douglas Ross and new Labour leader Anas Sarwar. Her intelligence is rated twice as highly as her rivals, as is her understanding or ordinary people, her genuineness, honesty, trustworthiness and charisma.
https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/c ... on-3150572

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#748 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 am

Swinney the Poo was, twice, in Contempt of Parliament after two very clear resolutions which were passsed requiring him to provide all the legal advice documents to the Committee.

When faced with a vote of no confidence he backed down and agreed to pass "key" documents.

I hope, but doubt, the Committee will hold his feet to the fire and require the full box set, and not just a few scanty extracts. The Committee is chaired and dominated by SNP flacks. There will only be three members doing any meaningful questioning of the Lord Advocate today and the Leaderene tomorrow. They are the Tory vice-chair and Murdo Fraser and the tatty looking Jackie Bailey (Lab). The Lib-Dem guy is a just a twat.

Kickoff this morning is due to be at 10:00.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#749 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:00 am

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#750 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:05 am

"Key"?
They'll release everything that is innocuous, but never the truth.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#751 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:20 am

Anyone here who'd read anything I've written about the appalling prosecution of the Fhima and Megrahi will understand why I was almost apoplectic with rage when Jimmy Wolffe claimed that the Crown prosecutors are independent and always act with probity and integrity. ~X(

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#752 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:34 am

He licks his lips a lot. Dry mouth? Needs drinks. Feeling the heat? Any body language experts here?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#753 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:27 am

Typical shifty looking lawyer.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#754 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:47 pm

Lord Advocate Jim Wolffe must go.

Despite being under Oath to tell "the whole Truth", he was conspicuously evasive and repeatedly gave responses which were not answers to the question(s). They were merely meaningless replies.

This was most noticeable when he was so ably questioned by Murdo Fraser.

I was also very favourably impressed by Andy Wightman's questioning of Wolffe. I have mixed opinions of Wightman, but I think he excelled in that Hearing.

Wolffe's body language could be analysed by anyone who has expertise in that field. I am not one. Neverthess, I too recognised that lizard-like tongue-flick that he does when he thinks he's on a roll in fleecing sheep. I saw exactly the same thing when the head of Lehmans, Geithner, was being questioned by a House Committee circa 2008. A fleeting lizard-tongue flick which you have to be aware of before you notice it, but it's definitely there to be seen and it is, to me, a very clear indicator of the immediate presence of pork pies from that mouth.

Jackie Bailey absolutely skewered him.

My conclusion, so far, is that Jim Wolffe is toast.

The MI5 guy (Crown Agent David Harvie), on the other hand, gave a brilliant performance. I have no doubt whatsoever that he's up to his eyeballs in the conspiracy to destroy Salmond, but he is extremely able at deflecting any suggestion of his involvement in the plot. I think he's probably unassailable, through his remarkable ability to construct and support a cover story under which he can slip away. The Security Service guys are very well selected and superbly trained to do that stuff. I tip my hat to him, though I'd much rather kick the bugger in the balls.

Quote of the day, by Jackie Bailey:
"I keep giving questions in the hope that I get answers".
ROFL =))

The last words should go to the Lord Advocate.

Um Er Aah Erm Aarh Um Er Ah Um Erm Ahh Em Errh Aah Umm Err Aah Err Ugh Ahh Ahh Erm Erm Err Em Ah Err Err Err Em Uh Um Err Ah Um Um Ah Em Ag Err Aerr Err but but Err Ah ErrAh Ah Err Err Ah Ummh and Err Emm Ummh Ummh Err Ahh Err Umm A Umm Er Err Err Err Emm Ah Err Errm Ah Umm Emm Umm Umm Umm Errm Err Umm and Umm.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#755 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm

Thanks UP. I come regularly to drink at the fountain of your posts in the sure and certain knowledge that quaffing there will make me wiser.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#756 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:47 pm

Did I hear the LA correctly early on when he said the Crown Office didn't redact AS's submissions, it was the Scottish Parliament wot dunnit on Crown Office advice?

Wouldn't ask that bloke what time it was as he wouldn't give a straight answer.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#757 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:13 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:47 pm
Did I hear the LA correctly early on when he said the Crown Office didn't redact AS's submissions, it was the Scottish Parliament wot dunnit on Crown Office advice?
Um Er Aah Erm Aarh Um Er Ah Um Erm Ahh Em Errh Aah Umm Err Aah Err Ugh Ahh Ahh Erm Erm Err Em Ah Err Err Err Em Uh Um Err Ah Um Um Ah Em Ag Err Aerr Err but but Err Ah ErrAh Ah Err Err Ah Ummh and Err Emm Ummh Ummh Err Ahh Err Umm A Umm Er Err Err Err Emm Ah Err Errm Ah Umm Emm Umm Umm Umm Errm Err Umm and Umm. Yes.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Substitute Scotland for Denmark - and you've got it

#758 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 pm

This is from what thespians call "The Scottish Play".

Shakey The Willy was about five hundred years ahead of his time, methinks. :-?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#759 Post by om15 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:09 pm

Sir Bernard Ingham writes something that I have thought for several years,

T
his leads to the inevitable question as to whether the Salmond/Sturgeon fracas will bring the Scots to their former canny senses.

Has the row ironically arrived like the cavalry to damage the SNP in May’s elections and so stymie its intention of holding its own referendum on joining the EU?

This, I suppose, depends to some extent on the outcome of the current inquiry into the Salmond/Sturgeon battle. It also depends on how the once dominant Labour can regroup under their new leader, Anas Sarwar, and how the Tories, much despised North of the border, can make hay of SNP incompetence.

One thing is for sure: the Scottish people have to sort themselves out, recognize the dangers of their position and demand a serious response from their politicians

The rest of the UK can take no satisfaction in the current mess, even if it helps to hold the UK together. To thrive the UK needs a healthy, go-ahead democracy focused on people’s needs in all its four nations or provinces. It is, to repeat, the sum of its parts.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#760 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:26 pm

The £5billion is targeted at England, but the devolved nations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will receive an extra £794million in funding through the Barnett formula.
Spread equally, allocated directly