Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in Scotland.

#1523 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:00 pm

FD2 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:50 pm
The Legacy:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... power.html
FD2, you know Scotland better than I ever will, but, an intelligent man like you, a man for whom I have the utmost respect, using "The Daily Fail" to make a serious point strikes me as taking the easy way out!

Sir, you are better than that. :-bd
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1524 Post by FD2 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:33 am

Daily Mail mostly prints dross and titty bum stuff but sometimes there are sensible offerings. There's nothing in that article that we didn't already know as it has been printed bit by bit in other more highly regarded publications - this one puts all the issues together. There is little that has improved in that wumman's reign apart from a slight drop in alcohol consumption. Her obsession with things that are less important than separating from the hated England such as drug deaths, people dying younger and the CalMac ferries is a disgrace.

I have my opinions about the matter but it really comes down to what the folk in Scotland want, if they could ever be subject to a fair political campaign, say in another fifteen or twenty years when the UK might, just might, have got itself out of the self-generated mess it's in. I think many of those good people are realising the ex-Empress is a one trick pony who has kept her obsession on the boil by stirring up anti-Westminster dislike. I sympathise with their anti-Tory feelings! :ymsick:

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1525 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:57 am

FD2 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:33 am
Daily Mail mostly prints dross and titty bum stuff but sometimes there are sensible offerings. There's nothing in that article that we didn't already know as it has been printed bit by bit in other more highly regarded publications - this one puts all the issues together. There is little that has improved in that wumman's reign apart from a slight drop in alcohol consumption. Her obsession with things that are less important than separating from the hated England such as drug deaths, people dying younger and the CalMac ferries is a disgrace.

I have my opinions about the matter but it really comes down to what the folk in Scotland want, if they could ever be subject to a fair political campaign, say in another fifteen or twenty years when the UK might, just might, have got itself out of the self-generated mess it's in. I think many of those good people are realising the ex-Empress is a one trick pony who has kept her obsession on the boil by stirring up anti-Westminster dislike. I sympathise with their anti-Tory feelings! :ymsick:

:ymdevil: :))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1526 Post by Woody » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:24 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1527 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:32 pm

Woody wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:24 pm
Plenty of sturgeons in rivers in Europe, the Baltic and Black Seas but the common sturgeon has never been known to reproduce in British waters. Clearly the Nicola Sturgeon was a rarity.

https://www.nature.scot/plants-animals- ... h%20waters.

That feminised Alex Salmond is a very disturbing kettle of fish indeed.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1528 Post by FD2 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:36 am

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport ... ts-4039620

Ferguson Marine shipyard warned as it misses deadline to file accounts

The Scottish Government-owned Ferguson Marine has been warned it may be forced to stop trading after missing a deadline for filing accounts.

Alan Young
By Alan Young
23rd Feb 2023, 8:20pm
Updated 23rd Feb 2023, 8:22pm

The firm is building the two overdue and over-budget ferries the Glen Sannox and as-yet-unnamed Hull 802, which are set to be delivered by May of this year and March of next, which is five and six years later than planned.

Its accounts were due by the end of December, and the firm has said it expected them to be submitted by the end of March.
Hide Ad

However, Companies House has now issued a public notice warning that it could strike off the firm if it fails to file its them.

CEO of Ferguson, David Tydeman said: “We have been in communication with Companies House since missing the deadline and have explained the reasons for the delay that is currently beyond the directors’ control.

"We have been assured that Ferguson Marine will not be removed from the register provided we meet the undertakings we have given on filing by the end of March. As I made clear earlier today, we expect the accounts to be filed by end March, following adoption and approval by the Scottish Parliament, planned for mid-March.

"The directors and management team remain fully committed to delivering the two hulls currently under construction and winning new contracts to secure the yard’s future. This short term issue does not affect our ability to keep trading and continue the work in progress.”

It is understood the issue relates to discussions with the Scottish government and the public spending watchdog Audit Scotland as the accounts require the approval of MSPs before being submitted to Companies House.

Last month, Deputy First Minister John Swinney said he hoped payments made to Ferguson Marine for the completion of the ferries would be the last.

The vessels have been a long-running sore for the Scottish Government, which brought the Port Glasgow yard into public ownership in 2019, with two committees and the Auditor General launching inquiries into the procurement and construction of the ships.

The Government allocated £60.9 million to the shipyard in its 2023-24 draft budget to finish the vessels, but appearing before the Economy and Fair Work Committee, Mr Swinney could not give his assurance this funding will be the last.

“I certainly hope that is it, yes,” he said in response to questioning from Scottish Conservative transport spokesman Graham Simpson.
Hide Ad

When pressed on the issue, with Mr Simpson saying his response was “not a commitment”, Mr Swinney added: “I’m required to give the committee honest answers, and I hope that is the last that we have to contribute for the construction of 801 and 802.

“Let me be absolutely crystal clear about this, that’s what I hope… the assessment from the yard of what they require is what I’ve provided for both in the additional commitment of around £15 million that I’ve allocated in this current financial year and the sum that’s provided for in the budget for 23-24.

“I am responding to the plans put to me by the yard, and obviously the Government looks very closely and scrutinises those propositions put to us, so I hope that is the last of the contributions that we have to make.”

the accounts require the approval of MSPs before being submitted to Companies House Aye - there's the rub

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1529 Post by FD2 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:43 pm

Smiling Princess Anne presents Ireland captain Johnny Sexton with Centenary Quiche following his team's 22-7 victory in Six Nations over Scotland

Princess Anne has been the president of Scottish Rugby Union since 1986

By Maria Chiorando For Mailonline

Published: 04:16 AEDT, 13 March 2023 | Updated: 05:14 AEDT, 13 March 2023

Princess Anne presented Ireland captain Johnny Sexton with the Centenary Quiche following his team's Six Nations victory over Scotland.

The 72-year-old royal was no doubt disappointed by the final score, which saw her beloved team lose 22-7 to Ireland in Edinburgh.

Among her many roles, Anne - often referred to as the hardest working member of the Firm - has been president of Scottish Rugby Union since 1986. She regularly attends matches, where she can be seen cheering from the stands.

Images taken during today's match show the royal, who had donned a tartan scarf, looking rather more sombre as her team was outplayed.

At least Princess Anne should have been cosy during the game, as she was wrapped up warm against the bracing weather, sporting a warm navy blue coat alongside her checked scarf.

Yum yum - the Irish just love a bit of home baking. The Daily Mail pillocks strike again.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... field.html

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1530 Post by Woody » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:37 pm

It’s not going well for the SNP :-o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64993032

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#1531 Post by Rossian » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:35 am

Oh goody goody gumdrops, long may it continue to decline.

The Ancient Mariner

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1532 Post by barkingmad » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:14 pm

I'm glad to see they got the spelling of the wonderful whisky sipping vessel correct in the end!

When I saw the quiche mentioned I thought for a moment they were referring to Ginge's loss of cherry with the lusty barmaid in the brief tussle in the meadow, according to His Royal Highness's own admission.

Bring back the "News of the World" as gawd only knows how they would have covered (NPI !) the topic and possibly much earlier than the best-selling auto-bio... :-o =))

Meanwhile, back on the waterfront;

https://euroweeklynews.com/2023/03/18/n ... te-effect/

Rats and sinking ships, though not the much-needed, delayed and over-priced ferries, springs to mind? :-?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1533 Post by FD2 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:57 am

For those stuck behind or in front of the paywall:

Comment
Nicola Sturgeon bows out with bra-less banter at the coffee morning from Hell

The First Minister seems determined to have fun in her final days in office, but carries a wistful air over things left undone
Tim Stanley
20 March 2023 • 7:34pm
Tim Stanley
Nicola Sturgeon on Loose Women

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... e-morning/

Nicola Sturgeon steps down in a week, and who doesn’t deserve a good time in their last days in office? Hop on a coach; go to London; give a speech; see Cats.

Oh, and there was a special guest appearance on Loose Women, where she was treated with the reverence usually reserved for Ginger Spice. One has to admire the way daytime chat shows move seamlessly from a contest to win a Mercedes, to interrogating Sturgeon on SNP policy, to asking if she’s tempted to go bra-less on a Monday.

“Who’s to say it can only be a Monday?” replied the First Minister, trying to be game.

“When I do that,” said a fellow panellist, “they drag on the floor.”

Nicola had found herself at the coffee morning from Hell. Not that she showed it.

Consider her composure, her clothes, her air of Puritan authority. Isn’t this the Scottish Thatcher? Later at the Royal Society of Arts, she said that if she met “the 16-year-old” Nicola, she’d tell her to “have a bit of fun ... don’t leave it till you’re 53.” Alas, one suspects her idea of fun is chairing an EU inquiry into the subject – that after all these years of being so disciplined, letting go will be hard.

For now, she seems wistful. Sturgeon regretted how bitter politics has become – nothing to do with the SNP! –and how stressful is the job of running a country into the ground. She had watched Jacinda Ardern step down and thought “I wish that was me,” which proves she is human after all. Who among us didn’t watch Jacinda resign and think, “I wish that was Nicola Sturgeon”?

Then she described to the Loose Women audience the trauma of her miscarriage – and this sketch writer regretted every cheap gag he’d made. Politicians deserve compassion. When the mask slips, one sees sensitivities and goodness, and no doubt Sturgeon has both.

She popped the mask back on. The fracas around the SNP’s membership numbers is only “growing pains,” she said, an odd choice of words given that the SNP has shrunk. And considering the disaster she has made of education, it took guts to declare: “I’m proudest of the steps we’ve made forward for children” – adding, “there’s lots more to do!”

Indeed. Tune in tomorrow, folks, when our guest on Loose Women will be a bull who has spent eight years running a china shop. “Lots more to do,” he will say, as he plucks a piece of Ming vase from his hoof.

Sturgeon leaves behind a terrible record, but she’s made her mark – as demonstrated by a Freudian slip in the Commons. When the SNP’s Alison Thewliss attacked the Tories’ asylum plan, Suella Braverman said she would take no lectures from the Nats on refugees: “for her own nation royally fails to take ... sufficient numbers into Scotland.” One of Braverman’s colleagues looked uncomfortable.

I’m afraid that in the subconscious of many English Tories, the Scottish nation has become synonymous with the SNP – an error that plays right into their opponents’ hands.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1534 Post by barkingmad » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:11 am

A neat summary of the Wee Krankie legacy which has wrought such damage to a great country and some great folks;

https://europeanconservative.com/articl ... -campaign/

Great to see Craig Murray is back on the battlefield, news which will hopefully gladden Plums’s heart if he’s watching discreetly from a distance? :-?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1535 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:52 pm

Stop Press!

The new First Minister of Scotland is to be Rab C Nesbitt.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gE4AAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1536 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:24 pm

Well it's Humza Yousaf as the new First Minister. He was given a congratulatory hug by Kate Forbes but Ash Regan didn't bother and just sat there with a face - as described by my Glaswegian wife - like a 'weel skelpit arse'. Significantly only 70% of SNP members voted and they had the opportunity to vote online with little effort on their part. It doesn't say much about the commitment to the cause of 30% of the party. Long may their numbers deteriorate into obscurity. In the final run off Yousaf got 52% of the vote and Forbes 48% - hardly a stunning victory.

So 50,494 people decided for 5.5 million who should be the First Minister.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1537 Post by barkingmad » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:27 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:52 pm
Stop Press!

The new First Minister of Scotland is to be Rab C Nesbitt.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gE4AAOSw ... -l1600.jpg
Close forecast CPTN, the new gaffer has an equally scruffy stubble which makes him appear to have been playing the trumpet down the chimney of a steam loco, very much like the inappropriately named James Cleverley south of the Border,

Otherwise, it’s excellent news as Humza’s track record is so bad that by him taking over the helm “things can only get worser”!

Any longer utter incompetence in the leadership might just sink the “Independence” in the EUssr project without trace? =))

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1538 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:23 pm

Breaking with the tradition of the First Minister being a dishonest, incompetent, petulant, corrupt drunkard...Mr Yousaf does not drink*.

*Officially.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1539 Post by Woody » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:42 pm

Only just over 60,000 voted for Rishi Sunak and we’re all stuck with him X(

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1540 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:42 pm

Woody wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:42 pm
Only just over 60,000 voted for Rishi Sunak and we’re all stuck with him X(
Good point. The whole system stinks.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org