Chaos in Scotland.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in Scotland.

#1721 Post by FD2 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:36 pm

Independence is no longer on the agenda. But the SNP has failed to notice

Humza Yousaf is now grappling with pipe dreams, not the real issues facing Scotland https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/1 ... t-noticed/

The SNP’s annual conference in Aberdeen could hardly have come at a worse time for the separatist party. On this occasion last year, Nicola Sturgeon was still leader awaiting the outcome of a court decision on whether a new independence referendum would be lawful if not agreed by Westminster.

The judges decided it wouldn’t be, whereupon Ms Sturgeon said she would turn the next general election into a vote on Scotland’s future. In the peroration to her speech, she said the SNP could look forward with “optimism, confidence and determination”.

It has not quite turned out that way. Ms Sturgeon has stepped down and faces questions along with her husband about the party’s finances.

Her successor Humza Yousaf has struggled to build a profile and has presided over the disastrous loss of Rutherglen and Hamilton West at a recent by-election, as well as the defection of MP Lisa Cameron to the Conservatives.

The SNP’s seats look vulnerable to a resurgent Labour Party able to pitch to Scottish voters for the first time in more than a decade the realistic prospect of being able to topple the Tories.

Despite this calamitous series of events, Mr Yousaf is just ploughing on as if nothing has happened. The conference’s opening day was given over to yet another debate about independence. The SNP leader reaffirmed that the next election would be treated as a referendum on the matter.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1722 Post by FD2 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:53 pm

Thanks OHL. I'm sure you know it was shot on Foula over several summer months in 1937 but drawing attention to the evacuation of St Kilda in 1930 and the difficulties of continuing with that way of life on these remote islands. I'm sure that today's Foula islanders would welcome a 'celebrity' couple with open arms and there's even a little airstrip to help their occasional visits. Better anchor the carbuncle well - the storms are ferocious!

I only flew past it twice as there wasn't much exploration out to the west of Shetland back then, but the future round of new exploration licences which Sunak has dared to put in motion may change that. It was certainly impressive with ferocious winds whipping the sea up those huge cliffs.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1723 Post by llondel » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:55 pm

If I had enough money to burn and a nice piece of Scottish real estate, I'd be looking to build an eco-friendly house. It might look modern on the inside, but I've always fancied one that was largely underground, so it wouldn't intrude on the skyline and would be cheaper to heat. I suspect waterproofing it could be difficult though, and repairing leaks 25 years down the line even more so.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1724 Post by FD2 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:00 pm

llondel wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:55 pm
If I had enough money to burn and a nice piece of Scottish real estate, I'd be looking to build an eco-friendly house. It might look modern on the inside, but I've always fancied one that was largely underground, so it wouldn't intrude on the skyline and would be cheaper to heat. I suspect waterproofing it could be difficult though, and repairing leaks 25 years down the line even more so.
Plus 1, but with stacks of money, waterproofing might be easier!

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1725 Post by FD2 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:05 pm

Summoning Old Nick.png
Summoning Old Nick.png (142.23 KiB) Viewed 2848 times

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1726 Post by FD2 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:24 pm

A'm co-operating ... https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-67254855

How can you tell when a politician is lying? When they open their mouths!

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1727 Post by FD2 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:04 pm

An old idea being 'floated' again:

https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/ne ... nd-331378/

It would save time by avoiding the single lane roads clogged by tourists in summer and also taking lorries on ferries to the islands, if new ferries are ever reach the sea, but I wonder whether its Vne is faster than the storm winds that sometimes blow. Also there's a need to get below the cloud which occasionally affects the north of Scotland.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1728 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:55 pm

I believe that this project was a roaring failure when it was based in Bedfordshire at the R101 sheds at Cardington.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-46211384

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-44468147

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-39213100

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1729 Post by FD2 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:11 am

Yes - that rings a bell - machine in the hangar at Cardington with a backside shaped very like a Kardashian's?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1730 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:03 am

It's all been a pipe dream for a very long time.
We had a project at Uni to design a solar powered airship, back in 1983.
Fortunately, I had a contact at British Aerospace who got me plans right the way back to the R100, and a lot of info on why it didn't work then, and the reasons it couldn't work in the future.

Makes a fabulous presentation though, so there are always politicians who can be persuaded it's a great idea.....for their PR being seen on the First Flight photos.

They might want to reflect on the R101, and what happened to the then Secretary of State for Air. That Baron Thompson of Cardington should be made SofS for Air will be no surprise to anyone.

The whole airship business can be put in the same category as HS2, or electric cars for everyone, or....

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1731 Post by FD2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:22 am

The Covid inquiry comes to Scotland. One of Sturgeon's MSPs has had the cheek to find all those WhatsApp messages the former leaderene has been obfuscating about. Will it change anything when the results are published, if we live that long? The Stasi McPlods in Scotland can't find what happened to the missing 600,000K - I wonder if they can find their own backsides. I live in hope that some day, some how, the dear St Nicola will be brought to book..

Comment under an article about the Covid Inquiry moving north:

Can't wait for the tell-all memoir: Mein Kampfervan

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1732 Post by Woody » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:12 pm

Breaking news :D
Rumours are emerging that the SNP Scottish government are so desperate for funding to fight the up and coming election (and probably any up and coming court cases) they have been working on this plan to reintroduce Haggis hunting back into Scotland, and they will be charging up to £250.00 for a seasonal licence.

Leaked information coming out of the SNP headquarters (did someone say John Swinney) has suggested that as many as 100 loyal, die hard, SNP members have already got wind of this news and have paid the full licence fee in advance, ahead of the expected mad rush.

An SNP spokesperson who wished not to be named or photographed said in a written statement from HQ that due to high demand and requests from across the globe we have decided to reintroduce this popular sport that was banned over 150 years ago in Scotland due to the dwindling numbers of these wee woolie haggies.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1733 Post by FD2 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:07 pm

Delicious! There's nothing like a good skewering, but strangely I agree with the wee Krankie about Boris.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/0 ... d-inquiry/

Humza the Haggis feels the heat at Covid grilling on Burns night

Scotland’s First Minister might wish auld acquaintance could be forgot as inquiry brings up deleted WhatsApp messages

Madeline Grant
PARLIAMENTARY SKETCHWRITER
25 January 2024 • 7:03pm

Humza Yousaf probably doesn’t have many “good” days as First Minister of Scotland. Leading a circus school disguised as a political party, the ever unfolding legacy of corruption from his predecessor and, the underlying and unfortunate fact that he isn’t very good at his job. Still, in the midst of all this today must rank as one of the worst he’s had in a while. After a drubbing at First Minister’s Questions, Humza’s Covid nightmares returned to haunt him.

Earlier on, the Covid Inquiry had heard from Liz Lloyd, Nicola Sturgeon’s former chief of staff, who’d helpfully come bearing her half of the missing WhatAapp transcripts between the pair. Most damning was the revelation that Lloyd had urged Sturgeon to disagree publicly with the UK Government about the furlough scheme – for the sake of it, basically. “I just want a good old fashioned rammy so can think about something other than sick people,” Lloyd had written, in the style of Gangs of New York.

It’s amazing the lengths the SNP will go to just to be different. Trash the furlough scheme to own the Tories. Force children to wear masks in school to own the Tories. Earlier this year, having previously moaned about the XL Bully ban introduced by Westminster, the SNP soon pivoted after an XL Bully rehomed from England mauled several passers-by in Hamilton. (Release savage dogs into the community to own the Tories).

Jamie Dawson KC, counsel to the inquiry, lacked the theatrical panache of his counterpart in London, Hugo Keith KC, but this was no bad thing. Calmly, and without fanfare, Dawson analysed the SNP’s secrecy and exposed that same lingering desperation to make the pandemic about Scottish independence. It also transpired that Sturgeon had referred to Boris Johnson as “a clown”; which at least proved that some valid expert advice was sought during the pandemic.

From clowns to used car salesmen, Humza Yousaf looked distinctly uncomfortable as he answered the KC’s questions. He squirmed on his chair like a man with a chronic case of piles and demonstrated as much eye contact as a teenager on an awkward first date. I’ve seen urban foxes caught in the act of rooting through bins that looked less shifty. After months of denying it, he was at last forced to admit deleting some of his own WhatsApp messages. With devastating understatement, Dawson thanked Yousaf for “the fortuitous discovery of these many messages which we have read with great interest”.

The First Minister replied in the evasive style favoured by politicians and officer workers at disciplinary hearings. Decisions were made “around” issues, always “with regards to” or “in relation to”. The KC asked why Gold Command meetings had not been minuted, to which Yousaf gave a masterclass in political non-speak. “My understanding was that Gold Command meetings should have been minuted,” he began, “but if that was not the case, then that would not have been the usual protocol for government meetings, they should be minuted and of course be available should there be the appropriate request”. Never has the conditional tense worked so hard.

An unhappy Burns Night then for Scotland’s FM: but, for all the plans of mice and men, and as much as he wishes auld acquaintance might be forgot, things might still get worse for Humza the haggis.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1734 Post by OFSO » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:55 pm

Where was Nicola Sturgeon concealing the onion ?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1735 Post by FD2 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:10 pm

Crocodile tears are just one facet of a politician's acting talents. Play for the sympathy vote when your scheming is finally being exposed.

What I haven't heard being mentioned so far is who set the Scottish Government 'guidelines' that she and her fellow travellers claim to have been following in their urgency to weed the bad stuff from their WhatsApp messages. Was it someone in her tame bunch of civil servants? Wherever it came from it should be produced, as evidence that it actually exists and wasn't just a convenient excuse for whitewashing their shenanigans into the 'official' records.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1736 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:28 pm

DT Chips.jpg
DT Chips.jpg (21.33 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1737 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:56 pm

Presumably the delay in charging Ms Sturgeon is because the Scottish DPP is researching ancient laws to see if there's anything that still allows Burning At The Stake?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1738 Post by OFSO » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:20 am

I see the escaped monkey has been caught in Aviemore, Scotland. Might be a solution as to who the Party can have as First Minister.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1739 Post by FD2 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:29 am

A good, if kindly account from Dani Garavelli: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/co ... y-pandemic

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1740 Post by Woody » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:43 am

Surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet =))

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/edinburgh-cas ... ccounter=2
When all else fails, read the instructions.