A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Antisemitism.

#101 Post by barkingmad » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:43 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:44 am
The Jews are always complaining, and with some justification, that nobody likes them.

Why don't they try changing the way they behave?
Personal hygiene an unfortunate practice in this case;

Family sue after being kicked off flight 'for body odour' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51324481

I have to presume the captain was not a member of the UK Labour Party, otherwise JC would be in even deeper trouble?

Capetonian

#102 Post by Capetonian » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm

I repeat a post I made almost a year ago :
I recently had some postings I'd made removed from a business travel forum, for stating that the TLV routes are about the most unpopular with airline staff and crews due to the characteristics and behaviour of many of the passengers on that route. Apparently saying that was 'anti-Semitic'.

I used to deal with Jewish people in business. Most of them were decent and fair, some were very pleasant. A significant minority (30% perhaps) were vile.

Israelis, whom I used to have the misfortune to deal with in customer facing positions when I worked for airlines, were almost without exception, cold, charmless, rude, devious, bullying, and thoroughly unpleasant. I preferred Nigerians, who at least had a sense of humour and warmth.
One of the unpleasant characteristics of many of the 'Orthodox' Jews, those with the long jackets and curly whiskers, was a distinct whiff of lack of personal hygiene.
That said, they were not the only passengers to inflict the same on those around them.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#103 Post by Woody » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:49 pm

That said, they were not the only passengers to inflict the same on those around them.
The arrivals hall in T3 can be particularly pungent first thing in the morning :ymsick:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#104 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:44 pm

This business of objectionable smells was not confined the Jews. I remember in the 50s that black men were supposed to stink differently. Also, to Chinese whites stink differently too.

I think it is a racial/cultural thing. Each of us eats different foods. We meat eaters and beer drinkers will detect different odours on curry eaters or noodle eaters. We might include stinking cheese and garlic eaters too.

"You smell disgusting."
" No madam, you smell, I stink."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#105 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:08 pm

As a very young (pre-school) child I used to accompany my father (a man from the Prudential - or, the Man from the Pru) on his rounds as he visited houses and collected cash payments for premiums for insurance and assurance policies (typically fortnightly or monthly).
Every house had a distinctive odour (to my senses) - not necessarily unpleasant but typically 'agricultural' - though these were mainly the dwellings of agricultural workers.
The visits were usually made when the residents were not at home, so the odours were not directly from the humans.
There were no 'fragrant' sprays available (or at least in use) in those days (late 1940s).

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#106 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:31 am

Only ever really had one Jewish friend. He used to enjoy coming to our Boy Scout Camps - so that he could eat bacon without his parents knowing.

But .... At one Friday night Scout meeting, I found a £1. note in the street near our Scout hut. The Scoutmaster instructed me to take it to the Police station next morning, and I mentioned that it would have to wait until I had been to the Gaumont British Junior Club Saturday Morning film show, usually a John Wayne Cowboy film, or an Abbott and Costello funny. Cost sixpence entry fee weekly. My Jewish friend offered to take it for me - for a 10/- bob ( 50% ) commission !

I took it myself in the afternoon, and was instructed to keep it for a month against a possible claim, then assume it as my own. A fortune in those days when my pocket money was 1 shilling a week.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#107 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:00 pm

Ex, I thought it was 3 or even 6 months, entered in the register and kept in lost property, you had to return to claim it. Given the lack of computers we learnt not to go to the nearest police station where the loser might go but to one further away, this is of we actually wanted the bike or where we had found.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#108 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:14 am

PN - Maybe, can't remember exactly now, but on a later occasion my 7 year old son came up to me in the local Boots, with a £5 note that he had found in a shopping basket. I took him to the cashier and advised that we had found "a sum of money" in the store and would take it around to the Police Station. "No need to do that, Sir" was the reply, we'll look after it in case anybody comes and says they might have lost some money in the shop, how much is it ? Not telling you I said, if someone thinks that they might have lost money, send them around to the cop shop. I was well aware that if he knew how much, then his wife or mother would have gone to the Police next day and claimed ownership of the exact amount.

The Police sergeant took my son's name and address, then said " I'm asking you to look after this for me, take it home and put it away carefully, and if we ask you to bring it back then you must, but if after a month we haven't asked for it then you can put it in your money box" He then told me that no one ever claimed lost cash, so he couldn't be bothered with all the paper work, but if necessary they might ask us to take it back. We heard no more, and that was definitely only a month. My son asked why I hadn't told the cashier that it was a five pound note - I explained !

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#109 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:25 pm

At the height of the IRA bomb scares we were advised to do a car search. We returned to the car park and my daughter, aged about 11 found this hand bag. It was open and full of the usual brika brack plus keys, passports, tickets and so on.

We went straight to the cop shop, not easy to get to, and daughter handed it over. Also there a woman, absolutely distraught but amazed to get it all back in minutes, their holiday was the next day. About 3 weeks later daughter received a reasonably large cheque.

OTOH, when other daughter found a fiver in the bracken up Hardknott pass in the Lake District . . . Or when our team leader on our Students survival week found a £20 note sellotaped to a label in the middle of Otterburn it joined the other £20 confiscated from one of the students. If he had claimed it h e would have been chopped 😀

Capetonian

#110 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 am

El Al will launch five-times weekly flights between Stansted and Tel Aviv on June 28, marking its first flights from the London airport since 2009.
Another reason to avoid that pit of an airport.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#111 Post by llondel » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:18 pm

I remember turning up at Stansted from Edinburgh one evening around the turn of the century. The El Al check-in desk is down that end of the building and domestic flights empty out past it. They had armed guards around the check-in area, which I guess is understandable given past history. It was a surprise to me back then because I think it was before there were armed police routinely wandering around UK airports.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#112 Post by tango15 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm
I recently had some postings I'd made removed from a business travel forum, for stating that the TLV routes are about the most unpopular with airline staff and crews due to the characteristics and behaviour of many of the passengers on that route. Apparently saying that was 'anti-Semitic'.

I used to deal with Jewish people in business. Most of them were decent and fair, some were very pleasant. A significant minority (30% perhaps) were vile.

Israelis, whom I used to have the misfortune to deal with in customer facing positions when I worked for airlines, were almost without exception, cold, charmless, rude, devious, bullying, and thoroughly unpleasant. I preferred Nigerians, who at least had a sense of humour and warmth.
One of the unpleasant characteristics of many of the 'Orthodox' Jews, those with the long jackets and curly whiskers, was a distinct whiff of lack of personal hygiene.
I worked for a handling agent at MAN who handled a twice-weekly flight to TLV. Of course there was all the usual palaver with security, but the biggest problem was always the passengers, who would not sit in their assigned seats, usually because one of them had spotted Mrs Finkelstein from the jeweller's and wanted to talk to her, so the seating allocation went out of the window. The chaps with the hats and long hair did not approve of me speaking to their wives, even though I was just trying to fold the enormous pushchairs. Whoever's turn it was to handle the flight used to put a pound in a pot and if it went out on time, you could claim the contents. I once won £12!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#113 Post by barkingmad » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:08 am

Oh dear, this old chestnut has once again reared it’s ugly head.

We in UK can look forwards to being locked up at the drop of a hat once this squirt Shan’t Crapps gets his teeth into the task of restricting freedoms and encouraging the “young men of military age” to pour off the rubber dinghies onto the Kent beaches.

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/10/21/is- ... i-semitic/

But then, just for a little balance, this from the Branch Covidian Times;

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/10/21/is- ... i-semitic/

I don’t know if the child Crapps has been to the Global Young Leaders’ finishing skule but he seems adequately suited to the job, bearing in mind his riproaring success in previous ministerial posts. :-w

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#114 Post by Wodrick » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:24 am

What's wrong with their names ? I don't know who you are wittering about.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#115 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:20 am

tango15 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm
Capetonian wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm

I worked for a handling agent at MAN who handled a twice-weekly flight to TLV. Of course there was all the usual palaver with security, but the biggest problem was always the passengers, who would not sit in their assigned seats, usually because one of them had spotted Mrs Finkelstein from the jeweller's and wanted to talk to her, so the seating allocation went out of the window. The chaps with the hats and long hair did not approve of me speaking to their wives, even though I was just trying to fold the enormous pushchairs. Whoever's turn it was to handle the flight used to put a pound in a pot and if it went out on time, you could claim the contents. I once won £12!
As ever on flights you will get the difficult, usually associated with religious and/or food related preferences (the difficult being people like vegetarians, vegans, Jews and hippies) as this sketch amusingly illustrates. I must say these English comediennes do the Afrikaans English accent reasonably well! =))

My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#116 Post by Woody » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Not what’s been discussed on here, but definitely fits.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63387607
When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#117 Post by barkingmad » Sun May 28, 2023 8:10 pm

The album came out in 1979 and the film was issued in 1982, so have these pearl-clutchers been unconscious for the previous 40 odd years and only just woken up?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pi ... r-AA1bKG8v

Of course if anyone is pro-Palestinian then they must by definition be anti-semitic, stands to reason dunnit? !

For the rare youngsters here in O-N, even the Grauniad newspaper analysed the album back then, so what's new, apart from a pandemic of 'woke' and a population of 'snowflakes'? ~X(

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... album-1979