Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ.

#21 Post by Boac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:10 am

Cape wrote:I don't like the term 'right wing extremists', it's too easy to label people.
- agreed, but it looks reasonable here don't you think? He describes himself as an “ethno-nationalist” and a “fascist” - as long as you accept that fascism is right-wing?

Capetonian

#22 Post by Capetonian » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 am

It's the 'extreme right wing' part I am uncomfortable with. I'm often told I'm 'right wing' but not in my wildest dreams would I go round slaughtering innocent people, nor advocating, nor condoning such actions.

This chap wants to be a martyr, he seems to have modelled himself on that Norwegian lunaic (Brevik?)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Boac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am

But, Cape, you are surely not uncomfortable about the right-wing 'label' for a self-declared fascist, are you?

Capetonian

#24 Post by Capetonian » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:28 am

Boac, I have edited my post above to include the word 'extreme' which should have been there. I hope that addresses your question.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 am

What is wrong with fascist? We understand that fascist is right wing not that right wing are fascist. Similarly what is wrong with extremist of either persuasion?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by FD2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:47 am

Locked down in the department store Ballantyne's for several hours while the police were looking for these people. Muslim hating Australian came here to 'practise' and then realised that there are lots of easy (unsuspecting) targets here so no point going back to Oz to kill people. Forty nine of them so far.

Didn't feel like shopping after hearing the news, so watched what was happening on TV and were fed cups of tea by very helpful shop assistants. Thought it was a 'domestic plus firearm' when all the cop cars went zooming past - little did we know. Hopefully these people will get 'preventive detention' which means they won't be free again. Pity about all the money that will cost.

These Christchurch murderers are certainly 'extremists' - he claims to have been inspired by Anders Breivik - but was he 'right wing' or just an obsessed nutter? Stalin and Pol Pot were also obsessive nutters but not 'right wing' or 'fascist'... It's an easy handle to stick on these vile fiends isn't it?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Boac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 am

"It's an easy handle to stick on these vile fiends isn't it?" - NB, FD, he 'stuck it on' himself. Who are we to challenge?

Let us not forget that any so-called 'extremist' position, including 'left-wing' or 'Muslim' is equally abhorrent and they "pose such a potent threat to societies in which they can operate and promote their extremism"

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by FD2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:55 am

Exactly.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Of all of the countries on the blue planet where I would not expect this sort of sh!t to occur, Norway and New Zealand would be right at the top of the list.

I give up.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by BenThere » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:51 pm

At times like this I think it's a good idea to set aside our politics and embrace our more humane instincts. The murder of innocent people is evil no matter who did it or from what ideology the person who pulled the trigger comes.

I totally sympathize with the victims and their loved ones, though I'm no fan of Islam's impact on the world today. Murder is wrong, always, and that's what happened in New Zealand. It was yet another atrocity that occurs all too often in our crazy world.

All the best to our New Zealand friends as this shock is absorbed.

Sisemen

#31 Post by Sisemen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Absolutely shocking and rightly deserving of world condemnation - whatever your politics.

I was struck, however, by the instant, and correct, “extreme right-Wing terrorism” label. Had the boot been on the other foot it would have been a considerable while before the “isolated mental issues” had been discounted.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:21 pm

extreme right-Wing terrorism

Yup.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Boac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Out of interest, is there any record of a Muslim-inspired attack in New Zealand? I see some prat of an Australian Senator has linked this atrocity to 'Muslim Immigration' in New Zealand.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:52 pm

A female friend (who Slasher would consider very attractive) with a strong political leftist inclination keeps calling fascist whenever I disagree politically with her. It is a common occurrence here the left keeps calling anyone disagreeing with them and does not accept illegal immigrants, anarchist in the country. So in this context I am happy to be considered fascist.

Boac, no there is no precedent of such an attack I remember.

May I point out how Israerl handles Islamic terrorism?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by John Hill » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:47 pm

No, I opened this topic to report what was happening in NZ and it is not appropriate for you to swing it towards anti-Islamism.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:09 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:44 pm
Out of interest, is there any record of a Muslim-inspired attack in New Zealand? I see some prat of an Australian Senator has linked this atrocity to 'Muslim Immigration' in New Zealand.
Technically he is correct. No immigration, no targets, but that rather misses the move to the 21st Century.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by FD2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm

New Zealand has had an easygoing attitude towards 'eccentrics', which is part of its great charm. It will be interesting to discover where this psychopath sourced his weapons. Gang culture is prominent here so no doubt he could have bought smuggled ones there. A 'special licence' is needed for high powered semi-automatic weapons, though god knows what they could be needed for. You want to shoot a deer or a boar - bang - hit then mission accomplished, miss then re-load and try again if it hasn't run away. So what exactly does one need this sort of weapon for unless to conduct warfare against other human beings? There are no rhinos, elephants, lions etc lurking in the bush here.

Sadly we can't yet see inside people's heads in order to weed out psychopaths and the internet allows them to form their hate groups out of the public gaze. It is impossible to monitor all the tripe which gets posted on 'social networking' sites every day so I have no idea how to police it in its present state.

There are elements of casual racism here as in any society but it's usually directed towards those who are unwilling to work for a living. Immigration from Muslim countries has taken place on a small scale for many years and integration seems to have worked better than in those countries where the scale of it has overwhelmed the local population's access to services such as health, schooling etc. I am immensely proud when I see the sons and daughters of immigrants succeeding in life, sports etc. both here and in the U.K.

I think yesterday's events will, sadly, mean some draconian restrictions, as well as some overdue ones, being imposed on daily life here, in a previously much freer society.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by FD2 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:19 am

Some good news:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12213269

No doubt the smugglers will carry on as before, but it cuts off the legal supply. I'm not against hunting, but these weapons are not for game hunting.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by OFSO » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 am

Interesting how much fuss has been made about the massacre of Moslems being streamed live. Quite correct of course but where were the complaints when ISIS was streaming the beheadings of Christians live, or the burning to death in a cage of a Syrian pilot ?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by BenThere » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:47 pm

So should New Zealand beef up its gun control regulations to keep law-abiding people who would comply from owning guns.

What if a few of the mosque attendees on the fateful day had weapons?