Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ.

#81 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 pm

Maybe he was ordering five beers for the guys on the nightshift at the sawmill?

Seenenough

#82 Post by Seenenough » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:53 pm
UP - ask President Chump? He uses it.
Pocahontas Warren uses it so you could ask her also.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:29 am

Ah - but she ain't a white supremacist, Seen, so she probably just means 'OK'?

PS Glad to see you are still around..... =))

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by FD2 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:10 am

Just as Spielberg is probably signalling 'OK'. Never really suspected he was a white supremacist. :-?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by llondel » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Apparently in sign language the 'O' means arsehole. Saw that on FB so it must be true.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#86 Post by Stoneboat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:28 pm

In the part of Canada where I live the sign means 'Zero', meaning useless, or 'Zero puis un barre', which means it's worse than useless.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#87 Post by BenThere » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:12 pm

I read today that New Zealand has banned Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules of Life in the wake of the mosque massacre. I've read the book, a blockbuster best-seller in the US, perhaps the best selling book ever written by a Canadian.

I found it delightful to read, and that it contained many profound passages. I can't recall anything that might suggest a banning in a free society. The article I read was not clear as to whether the banning was limited to a specific bookseller or nationwide. Can anyone fill me in as to what aspect of the book was found offensive? I found it inspiring.

Also, New Zealand has issued new firearm restrictions, much in the same pattern as Australia did a few years ago. Ironically, it was an Australian perp who somehow found an assortment of weapons and a collection of magazines to inflict his carnage.

I thought the New Zealand PM wearing a hijab for a speech addressing the nation in the after math was a bit over the top, but maybe Kiwis like that approach. None of my business.

Initially the US press painted a picture of the murderer as a pro-Trump white supremacist. Upon further scrutiny of his left-behind manifesto he was nothing of the sort. Regardless of his politics, he was evil at his core to be able to commit such a heinous crime. Actually I'm sorry he survives.

Sympathy to the victims, their families, and New Zealand, its isolation from the rest of the world now being tested.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by FD2 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Ben - I fear you have been reading some 'false news'. Can you show us a link to the story you read?

Here is a link to a New Zealand newspaper's coverage of the matter:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12215124

As you can see there is no book 'banning' been issued from Minister Goebbels in the New Zealand Government Propaganda Department - it's one high street bookseller's reaction - over the top maybe. Feelings are running a little high at the moment because of mass slaughter of innocent people in a hitherto peaceful country. Someone posting that photo on Twatter or whatever it was certainly doesn't help. Good old 'social' media eh? So it is fear of damage to Whitcoull's reputation and sales, rather than an objection to anything in the book's contents - it has been selling very well here.

My daughter worked for a while in a state school in an Islamic country - she found it was no problem to wear a hijab when the occasion demanded and to dress modestly likewise. It's just respect for other cultures and Ardern has certainly taken the initiative away from any who might try and downplay the shooting.

Like you I much enjoy Jordan Peterson's talks and advice to young men to 'get a grip on their lives'. I especially loved the put down of the Channel 4 'right on' presenter Cathy Newman who seemed to be trying to prove he was some sort of fascist. There are elements of over-reaction here at times but an overwhelmingly kind reaction to the victims and families subjected to mass murder. If the country can point any others in the direction of a more civilised way of life then I'm all for it, and that applies to the gun control issue as well.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by John Hill » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:56 pm

BenThere wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:12 pm
I thought the New Zealand PM wearing a hijab for a speech addressing the nation in the after math was a bit over the top, but maybe Kiwis like that approach. None of my business.
That's right Ben, none of your business but I do have to wonder why you thought such a gesture could be considered over the top.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by BenThere » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:59 pm

FD2, I looked for the link I read and it was gone from Drudgereport.com where I read it. I did find this link, though, which made it more clear that the ban was by a bookseller and not the government.

I agree, New Zealand, though I haven't BenThere yet, seems to be by all accounts a mighty fine spot. The challenge for both Kiwis and Yanks is to preserve and improve what we have against challenges, and give it intact to the next generation. At times I feel we're not doing a very good job.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by BenThere » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:13 am

First, John Hill, she is a liberated Western woman, not a submissive Muslim woman, forced by her culture to cover herself lest some male be aroused. Honor killings have happened over that issue. She could have presented her sympathetic address in the garb of her own culture. By adopting Islamic female dress she symbolically accepts the submission, or worse, could be accused of cultural appropriation, a sin in some circles.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by John Hill » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:35 am

Ben, you are talking rubbish! A headscarf is not at all uncommon in NZ.

Slasher

#93 Post by Slasher » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:56 am

Thanks for bringing the attention of Jordan Peterson and his 12 Rules for Life. I've never heard of either, but I'll certainly give it a good read after I'm done with my more immediate probs here in HKG.

Is there a recommended website I can download it free?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by FD2 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:21 am

Ben - she's not wearing a burqa is she? We can still see her face can't we? Even the Queen has a fondness for a head scarf.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#95 Post by Karearea » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:30 am

^ like HM, I often wear a headscarf :D
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:13 am

BenThere wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:13 am
First, John Hill, she is a liberated Western woman, not a submissive Muslim woman, forced by her culture to cover herself lest some male be aroused. Honor killings have happened over that issue. She could have presented her sympathetic address in the garb of her own culture. By adopting Islamic female dress she symbolically accepts the submission, or worse, could be accused of cultural appropriation, a sin in some circles.
Thanks BT for your point. A Moroccan colleague a rather aggressive and pretentious lady explained that scarf/hijab/burqa are used precisely for that reason - to avoid men treating ladies like wh0r3s - her words not mind. And JH to put you in a perspective of your leftist political view it renders the ladies to a lower status from men a position that I guess would be unacceptable to a leftie.

I echo Slasher's request about the book.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by John Hill » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:38 am

RiS, the young woman working in the office in Kabul said she would always wear her burqa on the street as it kept the camel ***** out of her hair.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:18 am

A headscarf is not at all uncommon in NZ.
But she didn't wear it because she needed to wear a head scarf that day, she chose to wear it as a gesture for the occasion. Her choice.

Whether you, me, or anyone else agrees or disagrees with that symbolism is a different issue.

I have to disagree with female police constables on duty, and armed, wearing personal choice headscarves at the moment, as some are, and the ones I have seen on TV "appear" not to be muslim, ( tho' of course one cannot know for sure) and they are on public duty in uniform, not private mourners.

Personally, whilst obviously not wanting to be accused of wishing to minimise the terror and subsequent suffering by so many, I do wonder if the coverage and outpouring of grief and sympathy would have been so great and continuously in effect if the carnage had occurred in the Christchurch Cathedral ? It is now 10 days after the event and tonights TV news, on all channels, was still totally devoted to blanket cover of marches, rallies, and services by Imams (?) calling the faithful to prayer, including more of the same repeats of the weeks events in some cases that we have seen so many times. I would like to get on with the rest of my life now, isn't it time to start?

Head down, out of the door !

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#99 Post by Nick Riviera » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:26 am

FD2 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:58 pm
My daughter worked for a while in a state school in an Islamic country - she found it was no problem to wear a hijab when the occasion demanded and to dress modestly likewise. It's just respect for other cultures
I completely agree - "When in Rome" and all that. It is a pity that so many of the headscarf wearers don't have that same respect.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by John Hill » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:34 am

Respect is something that is earned and awarded to you it is not something to be demanded.

When people come to live in NZ we trust they will feel welcome and become valuable members of our society and we award them the same freedoms we have ourselves including freedom of religion.

Take a look at this...