A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: These pricks want to close down LHR

#41 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:55 am

OFSO wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:37 am
I would like to ask the Greta person whether she is aware that the surface temperature on the planet Mars is steadily rising. Small amounts I admit, but the trend is there.
I don't think many people give a **** about global warming on Mars. That's not the problem.

The problerm is that there are some who also don't give a **** about the damage that we are doing to Planet Earth's environment by pumping billions of tonnes of greenhouse gases into our atmosphere and causing acidification of the oceans and sea level rise etc.

Fortunately for mankind and most of the other species who inhabit the blue marble, it's mostly the young who do give a sh!t about the future. For that reason there is hope.

Slasher

#42 Post by Slasher » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:08 am

OFSO wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:37 am
I would like to ask the Greta person whether she is aware that the surface temperature on the planet Mars is steadily rising. Small amounts I admit, but the trend is there.
Worth a read OFSO.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/global ... ediate.htm

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:01 am

Look guys, here's a thought or two.

Firstly, everybody is in favour of reducing pollution and waste. So in as far as that aim goes, I think we have some agreement.

The trouble is, these well intentioned uninformed folk then make the very sketchy leap from the noble aim above to the AGW or 'Climate change' thing, which is on much shakier ground....

It's quite possible and reasonable to support the idea of not dumping plastic etc, but AGW is bollocks. The planet has always changed, the climate has always changed.

We should be alarmed if it stops! Temp change is NORMAL!

But for a chuckle, try this with your AGW supporting chums. First ask them how much the alarmists claim the planet has warmed.
They won't know. They never bloody know!

Then you can surprise them by stating the AGW position which is 0.6-0.8 of one degree C.
Now ask how much of that change was us, and how much was natural.
They will not know, because nobody does.

The UK was entirely covered in glaciers at one point. It would be a gigantic disaster if it happened again, but inevitably it will. We didn't cause it last time, nor will be be responsible next time.

We survived it last time. The prognosis must be better next time.

We should devote our efforts to fixing some of the very real problems which we have, that we CAN change.

How about disease, poverty, overpopulation, war, malnutrition and underdevelopment in the third world, just for starters.

All these causes are supported by these protestors, and all are easily influencable by us!

All of them would bring real relief to real people quickly if addressed.

Instead we have this idiot obsession with AGW, which is not easily influenced by us, and may well in fact, be something over which we neither need control or have any.

A giant wake up call is required on this silly issue.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#44 Post by Bob » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:33 am

The problerm is that there are some who also don't give a **** about the damage that we are doing to Planet Earth's
If this place was representative you could change the word "some" to "most"

Luckily this festering pond of selfish far-right old ***** is not gonna be around for too much longer
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Slasher

#45 Post by Slasher » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:11 am

Bugger. I thought that foul bloody idiot immediately above me was already on my Ignore list. Updated now. :)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by OFSO » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:56 am

Slasher, I read that. Was going post it with some extra info but deleted it as unsubstantiated. Can't prove Greta's father is profiting financially by promoting his brainwashed daughters.

Slasher

#47 Post by Slasher » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:17 am

We should be alarmed if it stops!
Have always said it's in the nature of Climate to change on a micro and macro level as the years millennia and aeons pass. If it didn't do this continuously our species and most others would be in deep poo.

Unless the Sun gets very cranky, we get belted by an iron asteroid or if WW3 erupts the average should hold sway at least for this half millennium.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 am

Hey Slash, I think the average will hold for ever.
That's why it's called average!🤓🤓

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:52 am

An unusually honest article by the BBC:

Earth, soiled

"Governments have focused on climate change far more than they have focused on loss of biodiversity or land degradation. All three are equally important to human wellbeing."

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by om15 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:37 pm

We have been incensed for some time with the anti British limelight loving Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, whether it be massive firework displays celebrating the EU, insolent and provocative behaviour towards the President of the United States, now we find out that this leftie has stated that he is supporting the great unwashed against the Government,

Chair of the Police Federation John Apter said Mr Khan’s support for the protest made it difficult for officers.
He told the Daily Telegraph: “This is already a politically sensitive demonstration, and officers are under enough pressure as it is.
“What we don’t need, as well-intended as it might be, is a politician aggravating the situation and making it worse.
“The likes of Sadiq Khan should be supporting the police, especially when we are having to deal with rising crime on our streets.”

Meanwhile the death toll in London continues to rise unchecked.

Slasher

#51 Post by Slasher » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:06 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 am
Hey Slash, I think the average will hold for ever.
That's why it's called average!🤓🤓
Well the average since 1896 anyway.

Capetonian

The utter stinking hypocrisy of the left

#52 Post by Capetonian » Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 pm

Emma Thompson the first-class hypocrite! Actress is pictured dining on champagne and beef in £18,000 personal booth on carbon-spewing BA plane jetting to New York days after lecturing us all to stop flying

Left-wing actress Dame Emma Thompson was branded a ‘first-class hypocrite’ last night after jetting to New York just days after backing climate protests that brought chaos to London.

The Jeremy Corbyn supporter took her personal booth in the luxury cabin of a British Airways flight from Heathrow to JFK on Friday morning after earlier demanding: ‘We should all fly less.’

First-class BA flights to New York cost up to £18,000 and generate nearly two tons of carbon dioxide – the main driver of climate change – for each passenger in the elite cabin.

Onlookers claim the multi-millionaire activist also drank Laurent-Perrier champagne and dined on beef carpaccio – even though cattle farming is also a major contributor to greenhouse gasses.

Dame Emma has also previously called on people to eat less meat in the name of ‘preserving the planet’.

Cows produce methane – which is 23 times more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide – while clearing forests for pasture and to grow feed for livestock also drives global warming.

Just two weeks before her 3,400-mile flight, lifelong Labour supporter Dame Emma, 60, joined the Extinction Rebellion protests that shut down swathes of Central London, climbing aboard a pink boat the activists had used to blockade Oxford Circus.

The group wants to curb air travel and even made an abortive attempt to close Heathrow Airport, from where she departed at 11.20am on Friday for the eight-hour journey. Her share of the carbon dioxide generated by the flight was the same as that emitted by heating an average house for nine months.
No doubt the 'Manchurian Marxist' who infests and infects this forum will leap to her defence with some fatuous and moronically irrelevant bilge.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#53 Post by Stoneboat » Sat May 04, 2019 10:28 pm

Theodore Dalyrmple nails it in one
There are several public figures from whose faces I feel compelled to avert my gaze, so irritating do I find them, among which are those of Messrs. Blair of Britain and Trudeau of Canada, La Compasionaria of New Zealand Jacinda Adern, and the Scottish nationalist leader Nicola Sturgeon, whose visage has all the charm and good humor of reinforced concrete.

But by far the ghastliest of contemporary visages imperative to avoid for the sake of my peace of mind is that of the Swedish pigtailed prig Greta Thunberg. If there were a Nobel Prize for self-satisfaction she would be without competitor. She is the very Mozart of self-righteousness. Her Wikipedia entry tells us that she was once diagnosed with selective mutism; if only she would select mutism a little more often! I have many different ideas of hell, and one of them is now to be harangued by little 16-year-old St. Greta for 10 billion years without interruption. Brezhnev was Oscar Wilde by comparison.
Youth Is Wasted on the Idealists.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

Re: The utter stinking hypocrisy of the left

#54 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sun May 05, 2019 8:10 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 pm
No doubt the 'Manchurian Marxist' who infests and infects this forum will leap to her defence with some fatuous and moronically irrelevant bilge.
Since you asked for ones erudite comment, one is delighted to oblige.

First, it was more than apt the rag in question should include the term " spewing forth " in the headline.....do you, by any chance, read the rag for inspiration in this context ?...given it has long standing expertise in doing precisely that.

Second, a rapid amendment to the R.R, Book of Dead Big Jet Engines is clearly essential with regard to efflux....om15 has probably spent as many happy hours perusing this tome as one has...and can confirm it has lots of pretty pictures, graphs and sums....all guaranteed to negate insomnia . I suspect it would be a shade too complex for a travel agent counter clerk however..... even with the above included.

Third...the rag does actually have a point when it comes to "celebs " jumping on bandwagons for their personal ego massaging. There are very serious issues for both now, and the future, regarding climate change and their vanity does nothing but impede greater understanding and the essential education for the population as a whole.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-48165354

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by OFSO » Sun May 05, 2019 8:56 am

Post #53 - I have not seen the word "prig" used in modern writing recently, but I am indebted to the writer for bringing it to my attention as in the case of the self-righteous person in question it could not be bettered. Hopefully (if she has not already, I confess I am out of touch following events in my personal life) she will be invited to address the United Nations in the near future. They deserve it.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by G-CPTN » Sun May 05, 2019 9:04 am

OFSO wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:56 am
Hopefully she will be invited to address the United Nations in the near future. They deserve it.
Thunberg addressed the COP24 United Nations climate change summit on 4 December 2018.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by OFSO » Sun May 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Bugger, apologies. What with selling up in two countries and buying (or not) somewhere to live in a third, avoiding the Gillette Jeunes on my working trips to the City of Light, and arguing with the mem' on which Turkish Cotton socks to buy, one has overlooked the appearance of la piglette ecologique before the UN. Back to España next week where bored out of what remains of my mind as I try to slow down to stretching each hour that passes into many, I will have time to read the papers again...

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Undried Plum » Sun May 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Earlier this year UCL published an interesting scientific paper which proves that the Little Ice Age of the late 16th and early 17th centuries was probably caused by European genocide in the Americas in the immediate post-Columbus epoch.

European colonization of the Americas resulted in the killing of so many native people that it transformed the environment and caused the Earth’s climate to cool down.

Settlers killed off huge numbers of people in conflicts and also by spreading disease, which reduced the indigenous population by 90% in the century following Christopher Columbus’s initial journey to the Americas and Caribbean in 1492.

This “large-scale depopulation” resulted in vast tracts of agricultural land being left untended, researchers say, allowing the land to become overgrown with trees and other new vegetation.

The regrowth soaked up enough carbon dioxide from the atmosphere to actually cool the planet, with the average temperature dropping by 0.15C in the late 1500s and early 1600s, the study by scientists at University College London found.

“The great dying of the indigenous peoples of the Americas resulted in a human-driven global impact on the Earth system in the two centuries prior to the Industrial Revolution,” wrote the UCL team of Alexander Koch, Chris Brierley, Mark Maslin and Simon Lewis.

The drop in temperature during this period is known as the “Little Ice Age”, a time when the River Thames in London would regularly freeze over, snowstorms were common in Portugal and disrupted agriculture caused famines in several European countries.

The UCL researchers found that the European colonization of the Americas indirectly contributed to this colder period by causing the deaths of about 56 million people by 1600. The study attributes the deaths to factors including introduced disease, such as smallpox and measles, as well as warfare and societal collapse.

Researchers then calculated how much land indigenous people required and then subsequently fell into disuse, finding that around 55m hectares, an area roughly equivalent to France, became vacant and was reclaimed by carbon dioxide-absorbing vegetation.

The study sketches out a past where humans were influencing the climate long before the industrial revolution, where the use of fossil fuels for the manufacturing of goods, generation of electricity and transportation has allowed tens of billions of tons of carbon dioxide to be released into the atmosphere.

Widespread deforestation for agriculture and urban development has also spurred the release of greenhouse gases, causing the planet to warm by around 1C over the past century. Scientists have warned that the world has little over a decade to drastically reduce emissions or face increasingly severe storms, drought, heatwaves, coastal flooding and food insecurity.