Chaos in the UK

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in the UK

#181 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Tragic news; reports are coming in that former MP Edwina Currie has been safely evacuated :(

Capetonian

#182 Post by Capetonian » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm

Did the smell of rotten eggs accompany her?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#183 Post by barkingmad » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Allegedly after Keswick was flooded out some years ago there were queries being raised as to why, with more than adequate warning by the forecasters, the utility company who owned the reservoir(s) upstream didn’t drain off the contents at controlled rate before the deluge thereby providing storage for the waters which wrecked the town and surrounds.

I suppose they thought “it’s our water and the shareholders would be miffed if it was wasted”?

Perhaps it’s time for some joined up thinking between the reservoir owners and the Environment Agency as to how they can mitigate the effects of such flash rainfall.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#184 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:05 pm

Increasing numbers of agencies, under a mix of private, NGO, and direct government control, means decreasing integration. It's a bureaucratic inevitability. They all have different objectives, different targets, and it's impossible to enforce any kind of co-operation because it's impossible to define responsibility or enforce authority. Add in the usual @ss-covering and empire-building, and one can guarantee worse performance to unexpected events, and at greater cost. There is strong evidence for this over the last 30 years, especially when it comes to flood management. It's a failure of central government, ultimately.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#185 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:28 pm

Perhaps it’s time for some joined up thinking between the reservoir owners and the Environment Agency as to how they can mitigate the effects of such flash rainfall.
In the same sentence???? =)) =)) =))
It's always my fault - SWMBO

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#186 Post by barkingmad » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:12 am

Will the Chinook squadron currently involved in civil engineering be renamed "The Damboosters' Sqn"?!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#187 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:04 am

I expect a Travis Perkins logo to appear on the sponsons any time now.

Capetonian

#188 Post by Capetonian » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Ten people have been arrested following the death of a police officer who was dragged some distance by a car involved in a reported burglary in Berkshire.

Pc Andrew Harper, a traffic officer, and a fellow policeman had been called to the burglary on Thursday night before the "serious incident" about 11.30pm near the A4, Bath Road, between Reading and Newbury.

Pc Harper, 28, was struck by a car and then dragged by the vehicle for some distance before being hit by another car.

Thames Valley Police said 10 boys and men aged between 13 and 30 were arrested on suspicion of murder "within an hour or so" of the incident, and remain in custody at various police stations in the force area.

Pc Harper had been a regular police officer since 2011, and married his fiancee, Lissie, just four weeks before he was killed.
Deliberate killing of a police officer on active duty should attract the death penalty. I'm not implying that this was deliberate, they may not have intended to kill him, in which case a lesser penalty such as life (I mean life) imprisonment should be handed down. The prisons are overcrowded, there is no death penalty, although maybe when the UK leaves the EU there will be an option to reinstate it for this type of crime.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#189 Post by BenThere » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:14 pm

I believe the death penalty, scrupulously applied, and without undue delay, would save untold thousands of innocent lives.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#190 Post by om15 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:17 pm

A recent initiative to reduce knife crime and drug related incidents has been introduced, fast food outlets serving chicken have a message on the box inviting the diner not to indulge in stabbing anyone. This has been described as racist by the usual complainants because black youths are supposed to favour fried chicken, this nonsense is being taken seriously.

Common sense tells us that this venue is more appropriate for anti stabbing propaganda than say a pilates class or the local bowls club. As long as the right on leftie brigade encourage the black population to cry foul every time someone mentions that elements of their society are completely responsible for turning our cities into Bogatas we will have to put up with it.

I listened to some dreary whining black women on the wireless blaming the Government for not spending more money on providing role models for black youths, I personally support the extra cash being spent on large inhospitable prisons to put them in, preferably for long periods of time, but I suppose that is racist too.

Murder of a police officer should be life with no parole, I don't support the death penalty because of the risk of an irreversible miscarriage of justice, but as I mentioned on another thread, I do feel that there is a place for Gulags in the arctic circle to send offenders to, cheap, they are off the streets and can live healthy lives chopping down trees with their machetes.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#191 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Cape wrote:Pc Harper, 28, was struck by a car and then dragged by the vehicle for some distance before being hit by another car.
- and what we now know is it was a Police car what dunnit.

Capetonian

#192 Post by Capetonian » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:28 pm

I am not sure if that has been officially confirmed, it appears it may be the case. I may have 'misread' your posting Boac, but I sense a certain dismissal of this from you, as if he wasn't murdered because it may have been a police vehicle that hit him after he'd been dragged along by the Pikey vehicle. I don't think it's a matter for levity and I hope that was not your intent.

I am going to make a donation in lieu of the contribution I was going to make towards the running costs of this site. I hope others may do the same.

A fundraising page Pc Harper set up to support children with cancer has been flooded with donations.

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundra ... &pageUrl=1

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#193 Post by barkingmad » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Today we in the UK are treated to the sight of the demolition of the Didcot Power station cooling towers.

The subsequent local power outage was blamed on debris falling on HV lines nearby setting a pylon on fire.

Would this be the same demolition company who caused 4 fatalities during the demolition of the boiler hall of the same power station 4 years ago? Presume Elfin Safety might take an interest in the proceedings?

Now in the UK we’re incapable of building power stations (Hinckley ‘C’) as well as failing to knock them down when they are decommissioned.

Brunel & Co will be spinning in their graves...........

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#194 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:26 am

I don't think it's a matter for levity and I hope that was not your intent.
No 'levity', Cape, just a desire for accurate reporting, and, I hope, a serious investigation into why he was supposedly hit - and presumably killed - by a police driver. I also very much hope the 'justice' system will not 'wobble' due to the supposed 'origin' of those thought to have assaulted the Policeman.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#195 Post by Krystal n Chips » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:53 pm

BenThere wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:14 pm
I believe the death penalty, scrupulously applied, and without undue delay, would save untold thousands of innocent lives.
I understand many U.S. police officers have their own interpretation of the death penalty......many seem to be colour blind as well.

Shame about Didcot...another much loved gliding TP consigned to rubble.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#196 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:55 pm

Oh gawd, how did that happen :(

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#197 Post by Krystal n Chips » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:58 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:55 pm
Oh gawd, how did that happen :(

I understand a controlled explosion demolition took place.....

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#198 Post by barkingmad » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:26 pm

A reasonable explanation of the merde in which we find ourselves is well explained in the first half of this 28 minute video clip.

The second half is of an interview with Ian Paisley Jr on things Nornlron which may cause some in the establishment to lose sleep.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#199 Post by barkingmad » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:09 pm

O M G !

HS2 rail project initially overpriced and now >50% extra over estimate on cost may be cancelled or rerouted.

How else am I going to get to Birmingham from London 20 minutes quicker as I was promised?

But then why would I want to do that.......?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#200 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Not sure how subjective this review is going to be :-w
The review will be chaired by Douglas Oakervee, a civil engineer and former chair of HS2 Ltd.
When all else fails, read the instructions.