Chaos in the UK

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
izod tester
Capt
Capt

Re: Chaos in the UK

#161 Post by izod tester » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:28 am

Abolish vehicle tax altogether and raise fuel duty to cover the loss in tax revenue. That way the people who drive most and create more wear and tear on the toad infrastructure will pay most. Vehicles should be required to display proof of valid insurance and MoT.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#162 Post by Boac » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:58 am

...........and those of us who drive less-polluting vehicles will be punished?
'Vote for Izod' ?

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#163 Post by izod tester » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:15 am

You would only pay for the fuel you used. If you have a vehicle which produces lower pollution then it would probably use less fuel than other "more polluting" vehicles. Where is the punishment? Or do you think it just for some motorists to subsidize the others?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:02 pm

Aerodynamic drag rises with Vsquared.

Driver’s choice as to how fast they drive therefore how often they refuel.

How often do we observe total eejits accelerating towards obvious stop hazards like traffic lights, roadworks or congestion ahead?

And here in Blighty, as soon as a fuel price increase is announced the rural folk rise up in protest as their options for alternative expensive public transport are severely limited or non-existent.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:30 pm

izod tester wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:28 am
Abolish vehicle tax altogether and raise fuel duty to cover the loss in tax revenue. That way the people who drive most and create more wear and tear on the toad infrastructure will pay most. Vehicles should be required to display proof of valid insurance and MoT.
I made this point to Ken Clarke when he was MOT and he froze car tax and put it on petrol. It had the benefit of increasing VAT take and putting tax on to foreign tourists too. It lasted a few years.

Fox makes a point that it is a waste of time taxing your car. It is not true that it is risk free. There are ANPR cameras. Provided the owners address is registered they can expect a letter. Also council employed civil enforcement officers have ANPR and if alerted can ticket a car. They can also put in wheel locks.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Two points PN
1. Provided the owners address is registered. Exactly, so it won't be.
2. The likelihood of civil enforcement without an address is not high, and with a cheap car it will be less expensive to abandon a clamped car and get another one than pay all the dues. Cost for a runner with MoT about to expire, £200-300 (I just checked). Use it till it breaks, get another. And the council will get a lot less keen on enforcement when they have to pay to tow and scrap it with no possibility of recovering the costs. I have seen this in the UK 10 years ago, councils just ignore abandoned vehicles unless people yell at them.
It's the same everywhere with everything. There is a point, different in each case, where non-compliance with the Law means the Law is unsustainable.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#167 Post by barkingmad » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:37 pm

Now I know how to commit a “hate crime” and get away with it.

Will this assault henceforth be known as “Letterboxing”?!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 23996.html

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#168 Post by Boac » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:42 am

I recognise that abuser. I've seen her before.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#169 Post by barkingmad » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:44 pm

My blood pressure rises whilst watching GPs Behind Closed Doors this evening. Is that the intention?

Doctors’ Receptionist informs telephone caller “The system’s down so we can’t book you an appointment”.

Possibly a life-threatening condition in process but what has happened to IT backups and a simple “Fawlty Towers” type reception book?

A written note could be made of patient+request then processed when the magic “system” has been restored but meanwhile it’s all too difficult for the one-click-solves-all generation.

And this is the generation and groupthink accusing the baby-boomers of ruining the world for the millennials?!?!

Snowflakes who buy clothing for wear once or twice, change their mobile phones and computers multiple times per decade, insist on several overseas holidays in one year and fly across the pond for hen/stag parties and who need a “smart meter” for energy to make them aware of how much they’re using-therefore will have to pay and who are incapable of repairing anything.

Lead me to that darkened room ASAP.............. :-o

Sisemen

#170 Post by Sisemen » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:05 am

Mrs S’s phone packed up the other day (inherited from me). We went to buy a new iPhone and took the old one in to transfer all the stuff. The staff at the shop went wild and everyone came to look at this weird object - an iPhone 4!! They were also giving my iPhone 5 some funny looks.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:10 am

The system’s down so we can’t book you an appointment”.
Unexpectedly told to fly home from New York as passengers instead of operating crew, pick up tickets at the airport.

On arrival duty Jobsworth informed us that the "system was down" and couldn't print tickets so couldn't fly.

The Flight Engineer silently handed her his pen. We flew home.

'trouble is .... no Flight Engineers these days.

Slasher

#172 Post by Slasher » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:41 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:10 am
'trouble is .... no Flight Engineers these days
That's the problem. Last F/E-equipped aircraft I flew was the 747-300. Unlike the States these guys came from the floor. Thus when something happened that bewildered the buggery out of me and the capt, the F/E would say "Oh it's doing that again". He'd play with a few switches and everything would be right as rain. These blokes knew all the trade secrets.

Plus he was the first crew member the hosties tripped over when they walked into the dickpit. If you pallied up to him and ignored his farts he'd quietly put in a good word to whatever girl you had the hots for. :)

Capetonian

#173 Post by Capetonian » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 am

An electrician who became disgruntled after he had £5,000 of gear taken from his van has wired up his vehicle to give tool thieves a 1,000-volt shock. Ray Taylor took the step after losing the expensive equipment over a period of two years and police have said the process is perfectly legal. The 61-year-old fitted the system in his Citroen Dispatch.
I am surprised, and pleased, at this sensible approach by the police. I would have expected some mealy mouthed PC tosspot to issue a statement saying that :
"Mr Taylor will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law as such actions are illegal, dangerous, and not in the public interest."

Sisemen

#174 Post by Sisemen » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:04 am

The good ol’ English language! I first read that as the police being happy that the theft of tools was perfectly legal. Now THAT wouldn’t have surprised me :D

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:13 am

Bought a nest of tables reduced from £199 to £49.99.

Places the discount label on counter, girl scanned bar code. "That'll be £199"

Actually £250 as Mrs PN had added 3 other items.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#176 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:14 am

Sisemen wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:04 am
The good ol’ English language! I first read that as the police being happy that the theft of tools was perfectly legal. Now THAT wouldn’t have surprised me :D
The mis-related noun.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#177 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:05 pm

The Toddbrook reservoir dam is at serious risk of collapse.
Inhabitants of Whaley Bridge, Derbys are being evacuated
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... oftpw=true

Avoiding the A6 through the Peaks would seem wise.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#178 Post by Wodrick » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:17 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:05 pm
Avoiding the A6 through the Peaks would seem wiser than normal.
Fixed it for you 😊
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#179 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Fair cop!

More here

Being a biker though, I used to enjoy wizzing through the Peaks!

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#180 Post by om15 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:35 pm

I just listened to the BBC PM news, very comprehensive report on the situation in the partially evacuated town, including an interview with resident Edwina Currie, worst rain for decades apparently.
This news item was then followed by an item concerning the inadvisable use of cotton linen shopping bags because growing cotton needs water and there is a world wide water shortage which will very shortly include the UK, this was an implied fact.
The BBC have to ruin their sometimes excellent reporting by including the mandatory anti Tory, anti capitalist drivel, I dare say that the Channel 4 news will attempt to blame the ruptured 200 year old dam on Brexit No Deal.