Chaos in the UK

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in the UK

#41 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:54 am

Just use your hand. Splayed, one finger in each eye, heel up the nose.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by ian16th » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Slasher wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:58 am
Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:11 pm
The bunch of keys in my pocket can very easily be used as a weapon by placing a key between each finger in a fist.
Yes I've often considered that too. But given the bluntness of the average car or house key, to be effective as a neutraliser one would have to shove it hard into the attacker's neck in the soft bit located above the Adam's Apple and behind the forward jawbone.
I've been told that the point should be stabbed upwards, under the chin.

Never had to practice this, so no experience.
Cynicism improves with age

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:06 pm

We were taught these on E&E and a couple of others. As described, they are not quite correct. Be aware they are all killing blows, not fighting blows.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:49 pm

A rolled-up copy of the Guardian can be pretty lethal. Unrolled and waved in the air, even worse for us chaps here.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:06 pm
We were taught these on E&E and a couple of others. As described, they are not quite correct. Be aware they are all killing blows, not fighting blows.
Damn, there goes my claim of proportionality in self defence. "But your honour, I saw it on a,TV documentary. "

Mind you, a Barclaycard across the throat isn't very friendly either.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:22 pm

That'll do nicely =))

This is my problem also. I don't know how to fight without weapons, just how to end it for good. The unexpected, pre-emptive, lethal strike is my only choice. Probably wouldn't go down too well in court, but at least I'd have made it to the court. When I was younger I always planned on running away should things turn nasty, but that isn't really an option anymore. And so far I've always successfully used awareness to avoid situations that were about to turn nasty. Still, I'm in rural Canada now and things never turn even unpleasant. I have not heard a swear word (except in a joke) in 10 years. Murders here are very rare and always family disputes, and I have wisely left my family elsewhere ;)))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:22 pm
Still, I'm in rural Canada now and things never turn even unpleasant.
No holds barred when fighting bears?

"I remembered an article that my grandmother gave me a long time ago that said large animals have bad gag reflexes.
"So I shoved my right arm down his throat."
His tactic worked and as the bear retreated Chase got up and ran off as fast as he could.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:34 pm

No bears on PEI, or wolves (though I have seen both in other Provinces); the settlers shot them all over a hundred years ago. The Eastern Coyote is the biggest four-legged predator, although the most likely attack comes from the Lesser Spotted Pothole - what would be classed as an opencast mine in the UK ;))) One busted a main rear leaf spring on my truck a couple of months ago. The most dangerous animal is the moose, as they have a habit of standing in the middle of the road at night on the New Brunswick approach to PEI - there are around 4 human fatalities a year. Actually, night driving is about the most dangerous thing right across Canada. I have seen the aftermath of numerous incidents, at least one on every long drive.

Slasher

#49 Post by Slasher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:48 pm

On the subject of keys as weapons, behind the chin yes but further back towards the Adam's apple means the thrust wil be more effective in neutralisation. Don't forget this is a defensive move and the assumption being the attack on your person is quite sudden. Thus if one is temporarily experiencing astonishment the thrust might not be as powerful as compared to being unastonished. The softer the tissue the better the results for a less powerful thrust. If the attacker is wearing motorbike gear and helmet (e.g. onroad purse snatching) the neck is all you can go for.

In Thai law the rule is neutralisation not elimination, unless one's life is clearly threatened. For a key go for the neck, a knife go for the forearm, for a gun go for the shin or kneecap. In SE Asia one has the right to defend oneself, property and family without legal penalty.

Only in **** bloody BKK was I once physically under mortal threat but the cops intervened before I could defend myself (with a switchblade at the time).

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:33 am

Car key/switch blade?

Same thing with my Mazda key!
Mazda Key Small.jpg
Mazda Key Small.jpg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 454 times

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by BenThere » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:56 pm

The collarbone is vulnerable, not instinctively defended, and it doesn't take a lot of force to break it. A direct chopping blow at it coming from a 45 degree downward angle to the front of the shoulder will disable your attacker from hitting you with that arm. It's good to feint a strike from the opposite side to draw the attackers defense from the collarbone you want to strike. Then you can attack the other side. A kick to the side of the knee also doesn't require much force and if delivered exactly to the joint center will hobble your attacker. Both techniques are non-lethal. If you are lucky enough to have an exposed throat as a target a hard chop or elbow blow to the Adam's apple is generally a good gambit.

I saw the collarbone technique employed by my friend, who was a special forces veteran with significant martial arts training, when the three of us were assaulted in Rotterdam in 2004. He feinted a left jab and delivered the blow to the assailant's collarbone. That stopped the assault. We ran out of there and our assailants, imported youths, ran in the opposite direction. I'm no street fighter, and I'm aging, but I keep the above strategies in mind as my unarmed self-defense staples.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Sounds like the most effective technique...having a special forces veteran on hand ;)))
The same kind of approach is why I used to get invited sailing a lot; the people didn't need me, but it's good to have a yachtmaster handy in case you do.
Once my cadets and I got a freebie lesson from a Fifth Dan aikido master. He gave us some self-defence stuff. He showed us how to deal with someone behind you who has their arm round your throat.
"What would you do?" he asked
"Kick 'im in the nuts?" asked one cadet
He showed how the attacker could easily defend against that
"No, take the attacker's wrist and rotate it around the longitudinal axis of the arm; the direction it isn't supposed to move in"
The attacker moves their body to remove the excruciating pain and ends up on their knees on the floor
"...then you kick 'em in the nuts!", he finished.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:12 pm

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:12 pm

"No, take the casualties's wrists and rotate them around the longitudinal axis of the arm; the direction it isn't supposed to move in"
This was the way we were taught in scuba to rescue a casualty. It locks both arms straight, stops them flailing, and enables you to push them backwards as you swim towards them. Also possible with a snorkel but more difficult. Keeps the casualty well out the water too.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:13 pm

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:12 pm
Sounds like the most effective technique...having a special forces veteran on hand ;)))
Wasn't there a case of a recently retired Australian SAS guy assaulted by 3 yobs in a public loo; he left all 3 on the ground with broken bones?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:16 pm

We were once taken hostage by a gunman. Not that serious really as he had a sawn off boot action 22 rifle jammed up the jaw of a policeman and a police woman was also present.

We also had two tai kown do in our party between him and us. One of them had acquired a baseball bat. I think casualties would have been two max.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Ian, then there was Tom Cruise, aka Jack Reacher 😀

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 pm
Ian, then there was Tom Cruise, aka Jack Reacher 😀
You have the advantage on me, I haven't seen that movie. I've never been a Cruise fan.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Boac » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Read the books.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:16 pm
Read the books.
During my recent garage clear out I have donated hundreds of books to the SPCA.

Acquiring new ones is verboten.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:25 pm

The point is that Cruise is 5ft 7in (in heels?) And Jack Reacher in the books is 6ft 5in.

Cruise got the part in the films because of his name but they know there is no way to make up 10 inches for the TV series.