Is the 'New European' a contemptible rag?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Is the 'New European' a contemptible rag?

#61 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu May 23, 2019 12:52 am

So, if the PM self-identifies as a "one nation" conservative, vows to preserve the UK as a "leading defence nation", increases immigration controls and "vow my 'hostile environment' on illegal immigration will continue, despite the Windrush scandal", how is she not a Nationalist? How are others more nationalistic?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu May 23, 2019 5:01 am

Ben, there is a saying, 'takes one to know one '. That's your answer.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu May 23, 2019 5:09 am

BenThere wrote: The ascent of the nationalists has been breathtaking in UK, Italy, Poland, Sweden, and now, France, and it shows no signs of slowing. I find that comforting.
I don't.

Pure Nationalism causes wars. My country first is selfish. Foreign aid budgets are supposed to be altruistic. Charities working overseas are altruistic. I am no evangelist but I hold by values such as do unto others as you would wish for you.

Nationalism is not comforting in the 21st Century.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#64 Post by Krystal n Chips » Thu May 23, 2019 6:35 am

BenThere wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:29 pm
Both are narcissists....

KnC,

That's a term used to label people pejoratively as self-absorbed to the level of a psychological disorder. I think it's overused. The label has been used against both Presidents Trump and Obama, and now Nigel Farage in the hopes of defaming them and countering their appeal. In happier times we used to call it 'high self-esteem' and encouraged it.

To the topic of the day, European elections seem to be popping up all over and it also seems that the momentum has shifted to a popular rejection of the power structure that implemented mass immigration, high taxes, EU excesses and intrusion, loss of sovereignty, and such. The ascent of the nationalists has been breathtaking in UK, Italy, Poland, Sweden, and now, France, and it shows no signs of slowing. I find that comforting.
The term is wholly applicable to both Farage and Trump, but not to Obama.

If you find the rise of nationalism to be "comforting ", this speaks volumes as to your preference for totalitarian regimes given that autocracy and dictatorship are core to the ideological values of nationalists per se The results of such ideology result in carnage , or, to be more precise, civil or international war.

Do you really want to see conflict in these forms ?

And so to Nige, fearless and dynamic " leader " that he is......here's Nige showing these qualities ......

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ake-attack

Capetonian

#65 Post by Capetonian » Thu May 23, 2019 7:48 am

The rise of nationalism is not just comforting, it is necessary in the face of the many threats posed by illegal, uncontrolled, and unqualified immigrations and invasions.

The fact that pathetic posturing Guardian reading loony liberals like KaknCrap speak out against nationalism is probably its best support.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by John Hill » Thu May 23, 2019 8:00 am

Rising nationalism is not comforting and neither is it necessary any more than ideas of racial superiority or god given entitlement.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Capetonian

#67 Post by Capetonian » Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am

I should have known that JH would jump to the defence of his buddy.

Some people are superior, in certainly ways, to others, that is the natural order of things, and no amount of posturing and bluster will change that.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#68 Post by Krystal n Chips » Thu May 23, 2019 8:48 am

Capetonian wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am
I should have known that JH would jump to the defence of his buddy.

Some people are superior, in certainly ways, to others, that is the natural order of things, and no amount of posturing and bluster will change that.
" The rise of nationalism is not just comforting, it is necessary in the face of the many threats posed by illegal, uncontrolled, and unqualified immigrations and invasions.

The fact that pathetic posturing Guardian reading loony liberals like KaknCrap speak out against nationalism is probably its best support

First, thank you for those incisive, and devoid of any unconscious bias, posts.

I appreciate myself, and several million others, are an inconvenient obstacle to the aspirations of right wing extremists, the socially and literal illiterate ( see invasion, yet again, in this respect )and those who feel that denigrating others because of their skin pigmentation, ethnicity, sexual orientation or indeed any facet of their life is acceptable in a civilised world and society.

Thankfully, you will be ecstatic to learn, we can't simply be subjected to genocide to ensure a seamless ascendency of extremism. Genocide, in case you are unaware, being a tried and tested method of negating opponents.

We await your treatise on eugenics with bated breath therefore.

Finally, with regard to superiority, where, in your modest opinion, do you rate yourself and in comparison to whom ?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by John Hill » Thu May 23, 2019 9:13 am

Capetonian wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am
Don't be disheartened Cape. but someone has to be in the back of the horse and as long as you recognize your position you can take comfort from that.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Capetonian

#70 Post by Capetonian » Thu May 23, 2019 11:53 am

You are of course correct,. JH, which is why I remain at the front.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Woody » Thu May 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:48 am
The rise of nationalism is not just comforting, it is necessary in the face of the many threats posed by illegal, uncontrolled, and unqualified immigrations and invasions.
Perhaps you could give us some examples of legal invasions?
When all else fails, read the instructions.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by AtomKraft » Thu May 23, 2019 1:04 pm

I sometimes wonder, what is a country?

To me, it's a place where like minded folks huddle together for protection from those unlike themselves, and with some cause, as we know that in people there's a fear of the odd one out, or the dissimilar.

In these inclusive PC times, perhaps we can do away with "countries", and then we can all do one of those 'brotherhood of man' things, so eagerly anticipated by our more informed members of society, aka Guardian readers.....

Or maybe it would be one almighty bloodbath?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu May 23, 2019 2:02 pm

AK, to quote a Norwegian, it is a dialect with an Army.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu May 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Subsidiarity
Self-determination

Every international organisation you can name is signed up to these, through the United Nations at least.
However, try asking for these principles and every legal and illegal action you can name is perpetrated by those in power to stop you.
To take one example
Foreign aid budgets are supposed to be altruistic.
No, they are not; and in any case, why can I not be allowed to decide myself which foreign charities I give to? Why I am taxed to allow the Government to decide where my money will go? Why does a proportion of my charity money have to go in employing a Minister and civil service to decide this, rather than going straight to the charity concerned?

There's no evidence that having the Government do it even increases the charitable giving. Canada gives around 30% less that other OECD countries through Government aid, yet overall charitable giving is higher than the UK when the donations from individuals is considered also.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu May 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Fox, I said SUPPOSED for a reason. The rest I agree with.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu May 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Forgive me, I know you did. I was explicit to emphasise the second point I made; no offence was intended.

Capetonian

#77 Post by Capetonian » Thu May 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Perhaps you could give us some examples of legal invasions?
I haven't referred to legal invasions, obviously there is no such thing.

A comma might have made my meaning clearer :

"by illegal, uncontrolled, and unqualified immigrations, and invasions."

Capetonian

#78 Post by Capetonian » Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... KOREA.html

This sounds like just the ticket for our Manchurian Marxist - the tour must have been designed with him in mind. Maybe the two Marxists could meet up for a lovefest with Yung Phat Phuk.

I am surprised this wasn't advertised in the Guardian
A travel company has launched a £3,195-month-long rail tour that takes tourists from the Greater Manchester town to North Korea's capital.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by Undried Plum » Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 pm

In the context of Europe, there's a good example of a legal invasion: D-day.

Compare and contrast that with the illegal invasion of the same country five years earlier by a fascist entity.

Outwith Europe, there is the example of an illegal fascist invasion. Bush 43's illegal invasion of Iraq is in stark contrast to his own father's legal invasion of Kuwait which restored the dictatorship of the Sabah family's kleptocracy.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#80 Post by Krystal n Chips » Thu May 23, 2019 3:29 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... KOREA.html

This sounds like just the ticket for our Manchurian Marxist - the tour must have been designed with him in mind. Maybe the two Marxists could meet up for a lovefest with Yung Phat Phuk.

I am surprised this wasn't advertised in the Guardian
A travel company has launched a £3,195-month-long rail tour that takes tourists from the Greater Manchester town to North Korea's capital.
Given your somewhat less than successful encounters with rail travel, although as a self proclaimed travel agency ticket clerk this is hardly unexpected, surely you would have realised the potential for confusion here.

Wigan has two stations !...and, being the Mail, it doesn't specify which one is the departure point. Have you ever tried to get from one to the other in rush hour ?..mayhem !

And besides which, I can't really take our dog now can I ?

" A comma might have made my meaning clearer "

A comma would be superfluous, other than to appease the grammar purists, because the post offered all the clarity necessary.......in conjunction with several others you've made on the same theme.