This is a poll. Who will be UK's next PM?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Who will be the UK's next PM?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Michael Gove
11%
Jeremy Hunt
8%
Sajid Javid
No votes
Boris Johnson
50%
Andrea Leadsom
5%
Esther McVey
No votes
Penny Mordaunt
5%
Dominic Raab
18%
Amber Rudd
3%
Liz Truss
No votes

Total votes: 38

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: This is a poll. Who will be UK's next PM?

#141 Post by Woody » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Here’s another one

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#142 Post by Woody » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Back on topic here’s the runners.
The candidates are:
Environment Secretary Michael Gove
Health Secretary Matt Hancock
Former Chief Whip Mark Harper
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt
Home Secretary Sajid Javid
Former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson
Former Leader of the House Andrea Leadsom
Former Work and Pensions Secretary Esther McVey
Former Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab
International Development Secretary Rory Stewart
To be allowed to run, the MPs needed to have a proposer, a seconder and the support of six other members.
Sam Gyimah, the only contender backing another referendum on Brexit, withdrew from the race shortly after nominations closed, saying there was not enough time to build support.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#143 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:32 pm

I notice that Boris's handlers are keeping him out of sight, presumably with duct tape securely fastened on his gob. Unfortunately he's doing a Chump-like thing of sending text to the world hus padded cell via The Torygraph.

His idea of giving a massive tax cut to the top quintile would be fratricide for a Party which is already a fourth level also-ran. It's a gift for Zanu Labour.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#144 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:36 pm

Thank you, OM15.
My last use of the BBC was for the Shipping Forecast on Long Wave, broken but mostly readable, which I was still picking up on my yacht beyond the southwest corner of Trafalgar, heading out into the Atlantic. I played a digital recording of the UK Theme before the Forecast anyway- f#ck 'em!

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#145 Post by Krystal n Chips » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:58 am

Nick Riviera wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:07 am
Krystal n Chips wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 am

However, feel free to provided evidence that contradicts the "utter tosh " as exemplified in the figures within the article.

Feel free also to offer us your explanation as to why the DWP have featured so prominently in the cases of people dying through swinging cuts to their benefits, why millions more are penalised for even the most simplistic error in not complying with the arcane legislation and any personal knowledge you may have of the effects of their bullying arrogance and contempt for claimants lives and well being.
I have plenty of personal knowledge, particularly with regards to my niece who has special needs. My sister, particularly, could regale you with the dirtbags she has met who are attempting to play the welfare system to the detriment of those who actually need it. There are cases of injustice, there will always be. Sometimes these are corrected, sometimes they are not. It is a harsh fact of life. The" utter tosh" is stating that millions are suffering poverty and injustice. But your closed Marxist mind will always equate "rich" people (whatever that means) with selfishness and "poor" people (whatever that means) with dignity and you honestly believe that only the left have a social conscience. Sometimes it is almost possible to pity you. Sometimes.
For somebody who is familiar with the malicious cuts imposed by the Gov't, I have to say I find your inability, or unwillingness, to accept the detrimental effects on peoples lives perplexing. There again, as underlined, you appear to have a blasé and cavalier philosophy to suffering anyway.

This report may help you gain a better understanding as to why millions are affected. Then there's UC, this debacle being denied the prominence it should be receiving, along with other political events, thanks to Brexit. The complexity of the report is possibly beyond the comprehension of, say, those involved in the travel sector for example.

https://www.jrf.org.uk/sites/default/fi ... -Final.pdf

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... th-england

My own dealings with the DWP concern the lady in my life and the reduction in her benefits once we moved in together. The DWP made a false allegation as to our status. Despite an affidavit, the arrogance is such they chose not to contest the content and simply carried on with the reductions. The appeals process continues, it's very, and deliberately, convoluted.

The DWP also levies fines on anybody who fails to comply, no matter how valid their reason, with their legislation. For people already affected, these fines simply exacerbate their misery.

And a timely piece fro C4 News last night.....

https://www.channel4.com/news/trapped-o ... al-britain

You may therefore notice the common denominator in the above links.....the cuts to funding imposed by the current Gov't.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#146 Post by Krystal n Chips » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 am

om15 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:10 pm
Whilst we are excited at the prospect of a new Tory leader, candidates are now falling over themselves to promise greater bribes, complete abolition of all personal income tax, Brexit with no deal and cures for cancer being only some of the promises.
However behind all this it has been announced that over 75s will now have to pay for their TV licence, the very fact that anyone at all has to pay for the unrelenting left wing propaganda that we are subject to is iniquitous, but that people who have given a lifetime of service to the country only to have their pitiful pension taxed in this way to support the BBC is worse than any Marxist proposal dreamt up by Corbyn.
A worthy start, but then, alas.....

If you don't mind me asking, are you supplementing your pension writing for the Mail and / or the Excess ?...this on the basis of the tear jerking hyperbole above.
The Excess is now embarking on another fabled crusade....to the extent, that, even the current wx is not mentioned on the front page....so we know how serious this is.

Also, I know, but it's a fact, not all pensioners have given a lifetime of service to the country....many have led perfectly normal lives with no involvement with the military whatsoever.

However, one teensy little bit of trivia......about the means test..... and data protection and, oh look, the DWP !

https://www.ft.com/content/699b15d4-8b8 ... 2f641eca37

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#147 Post by Nick Riviera » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:18 am

Krystal n Chips wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:58 am
For somebody who is familiar with the malicious cuts imposed by the Gov't, I have to say I find your inability, or unwillingness, to accept the detrimental effects on peoples lives perplexing. There again, as underlined, you appear to have a blasé and cavalier philosophy to suffering anyway.
Your lack of comprehension yet again betrays you. I fully accept that there are some people adversely affected by the absolutely necessary changes being made to the welfare system. These people should be made a priority in assisting them back on their feet. But I also live in the real world, unlike your Guardian world, and know that sometimes people do not get what they deserve. Some will be left adrift. I am not happy about this and do not condone it but it is a fact of life. It happens under governments of all hues so your specious argument that it is a Tory issue yet again highlights your ignorance.

The welfare system needed root and branch reform to address the billions being lost in fraudulent claims. A programme such as that will take time and will lead to errors - that is inevitable. My niece can only walk a small distance unaided and so qualifies for a motability car. Last year my sister was told there would be a review of this and she had to submit evidence of my niece's disability. This took about a month in total and everything was approved. My sister said that her dealings with the DWP were fine and that they were fair and informative about the process. She also welcomed the review of motability claims as it was catching out significant numbers of people who had no right to be on the scheme. Her involvement in the world of SEN children has highlighted the number of abuses in the system that, thankfully, are finally being caught.

As to your other half, I would actually expect there to be a reduction in her benefits if she has moved in with a partner. However, if this has gone too far and she is entitled to more then I hope she wins her case.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#148 Post by Woody » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:10 am

Looks like that we’re going to be sitting around until the end of October and then start going round in circles again :((

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#149 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:26 am

Does anyone else think Gove has cooked his Goose? If his colleagues dare to back him it says as much about him.

If he makes the cut, will the faithful back him or see which way the wind is blowing?

Maybe we should have a referendum:

Should people who have been convicted or admitted a criminal offence be permitted to be an MP?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#150 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 am

If you extended that to politicians who have been up to something dodgy but not been caught, the House of commons would be empty.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#151 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 am

He's made a lot of cuts before, and knows a lot about blow ;)))
Anyone not wanting Gove in jail has no shame whatsoever. What the shameless MPs are trying to work out is just how many shameless electors there are, especially in their own constituencies.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#152 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:50 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 am
If you extended that to politicians who have been up to something dodgy but not been caught, the House of commons would be empty.
No, let's be fair, prosecuted and found guilty or confessed without prosecution. That that woman could remain an MP while in prison is unpardonable.

I guess that rule was to avoid a Government locking up opposition members and then having a critical vote, say in the unlikely situation of a slender majority :)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#153 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Spain doesn't have that rule and thus locking up opposition MPs for 18 months before a 3 month trial is constitutional.

Capetonian

#154 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:05 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... fire-quiz/

Some interesting facts about candidates in this, regardless of the 'quiz' aspect.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#155 Post by om15 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Listening to the hopefuls, (or rather hopeless perhaps) babbling the nonsense that their sixteen year old RP advisors have scrawled, I despair at the total uselessness of the Tory party, the only one that can indicate a sensible route out of this mess is Andrea Leadsom, but she won't be voted in because she is not one of the boys.
If Boris does get the top job we are completely stuffed with a capital F.

Nigel is still on the case, although he lost out narrowly at Peterborough he is undaunted, thank goodness, I listen to him on LBC and he comes across really well, despite the Nigel Ban being exercised by Channel 4 and the BBC he is still managing to gain attention, I am amazed at how completely oblivious to public opinion the top layer in the Tory Party are, both Hunt and Stewart are calmly suggesting an extension to the Oct deadline, they must be still on whatever it is that they are all taking.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#156 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Plenty spare now Gove is clean

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#157 Post by llondel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Not sure if this should go here or in the jokes thread.
borispm.jpg

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#158 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:04 pm

"The Conservative and Unionist Party"

Not sure if this should go here or in the Jokes thread.

Capetonian

#159 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:36 pm

My son is at the Houses of Parliament, just texted me to say he's standing next to Philip Hammond and Sajid Javid. I warned him if he happens to shake hands with the former, to make sure he counts his fingers afterwards.

I think the latter might make a very good PM.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#160 Post by Krystal n Chips » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:01 am

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:36 pm
My son is at the Houses of Parliament, just texted me to say he's standing next to Philip Hammond and Sajid Javid. I warned him if he happens to shake hands with the former, to make sure he counts his fingers afterwards.

I think the latter might make a very good PM.
I can understand the allure of Javid, a man after your own heart really.......there again, you also supported Raab whom you have, ostensibly, met although as yet we have not been privy as to exactly where and when and what, if anything, was discussed between you.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nt-hostile