Citizen Khan

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Citizen Khan

#21 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:34 pm

The local paper does mention a pregnant woman stabbed to death in London. I come to understand how bad the situation is.

Capetonian

#22 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:46 pm

It pales into insignificance with CPT.
London : 64
CPT : 1280

In South Africa the police are part of the problem.

In London the Mayor is part of the problem.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by om15 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm

I think that yesterday evening in London was rather a record, 6 stabbings with 4 fatalities.

The Mayor reportedly spends 13 million pounds per annum on PR but blames the Government for lack of resources. The citizens of London must be happy with this or they would vote him out, you get what you vote for.

Slasher

#24 Post by Slasher » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 am

I agree with you om15.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by llondel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:07 am

I was never a fan of London and I was born there. Best view of London is in the rear view mirror. It's not just London, I feel the same way in any large city.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by ian16th » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:37 am

llondel wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:07 am
I was never a fan of London and I was born there. Best view of London is in the rear view mirror. It's not just London, I feel the same way in any large city.
+1
Cynicism improves with age

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by 1DC » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:56 pm

When i worked i went about half a dozen times a month.I've been retired nearly twenty years and have-not had the urge to go back since i retired apart from using the airports.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by om15 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:23 pm

Two items of news this evening, firstly Mr Khan has criticised Boris Johnson for a comment he wrote 20 years ago referring to "gay" men as bumboys, although most people find it difficult to understand what is wrong with that.
The second item of news is that a women and three children under the age of twelve have been stabbed in North London, but unfortunately Mr Khan doesn't have time to comment on this.

Why on earth do the people of London allow this situation to continue.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:19 pm

Well.......I'm happy to be back in London after 70 years. I don't drive so the congestion is irrelevant, public transport is free, plenty of parks if I need 'country' and the glorious Thames to walk along. Amazing choice of restaurants and free entertainment (spent the morning today in the Welcome Foundation reading room), cost of living is cheaper than NE Spain, and friendly people on the streets. Acorn doesn't fall far from the oak, I guess.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by BenThere » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:35 pm

OFSO,

Seems to me you're in your element, enjoying the subtle enrichments of a great city. Enjoy!

I just got back from a three day trip to Bacalar, Quintana Roo, Mexico. For the Fourth of July, my wife and I, and another couple decided to go there. It is a beautiful Mexican town on a lagoon noted for the seven colors of its water, which is fresh, or as they say here, sweet; just off the Caribbean. It's an obscure place, 100 miles South of Tulum, but with extraordinary restaurants, views of the waters, exotic birds, cenotes, ancients ruins - enough to keep me busy, and it hasn't been discovered yet. It's not far from the Belize border.

The sublime pleasure of being in such a tropical paradise, swapping stories with friends, cooling in the ocean breeze, eating exceptional meals, making new friends - et al., for me, is life's reward. We took a $60, 4 hour boat trip with guides, to a pirates cove dating to the 1600's, a bird island with storks, flamingoes, and other seabirds, 3 cenotes with one 180 meters deep, and a stop at a mud bath where we smeared healing mineral muds to cover our bodies face and hands, let it dry for 30 minutes and then washed of the mud in the crystal clear water. I swear there is healing power there as the texture and complexion of my own skin was visibly improved less than 24 hours after the mud treatment.

We're going back to Michigan on Tuesday. I'd rather stay here but we need to prepare for our late July-early August Viking cruise on the Rhine. I'm thinking it might be my last trip to Europe, hoping to enjoy it before it's too late.

Slasher

#31 Post by Slasher » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:39 am

I think London is going from sh!t to fuct.

Well...it's horribly nasty PC MSM anyway.

Capetonian

#32 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:56 am

Has anyone noticed that the huge majority of these slaughters are black on black?
ADD as a relative of mine puts it when we read of this savagery. Another Darkie Down.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Funny how that never gets a mention on the TV or radio, even though most listeners are probably aware that's it's usually black on black.
I guess the BBC considers that to be irrelevant?

Personally, the ethnicity of the perps is highly relevant to me, so I can avoid the bastards.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:47 pm

I question the use of the word "usually". It doesn't convey the sense of the situation. "Always" might be nearer.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by BenThere » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:29 pm

One reflex I have developed over 35 years growing up and now living in the Detroit area is avoidance of groups of young black males. Call me racist - I don't care, and as I am retired, my career is not threatened by saying so. And watching the local news gives me the impression that black on white assaults with serious resulting injuries are more than just a one-off but a threat to be reckoned with when entering the riskier parts of town.

Mostly I hang in Ann Arbor, much more congenial than the gritty streets of Detroit. But occasionally I find myself in the city. When I am I avoid any grouping of three or more black males. If I stop at a red traffic light and there are three or more black males standing at the corner or within range of me, I clear for traffic, then get away from what I perceive as a threat, running the red light. I've never been stopped by a cop for doing that, and Michigan doesn't allow cameras to detect red light violations.

I patronize nice restaurants that have sprung up in the Detroit city center in the past few years, usually in conjunction with attending a professional football, baseball, or hockey game. A lot of millenials have moved back into the city I deserted in the late 1960s, and downtown Detroit is trendy again. I'm glad to see that.

When I do go down there - into the city, if I can, I always have my Kimber .45 at hand should things head South.

In my defense, I submit that I grew up with, played on athletic teams, worked with for 30 years in the US air force, at my airline jobs over many years, and made life long friends with black people. Those I've gotten close to have acknowledged the problems in America's black culture and I've had some very interesting discussions about how to fix it. I also assert that perhaps the most heroic Americans are black people who remain in the ghettoes, like Detroit, voluntarily or not, and continue to persevere, trying to raise good families and improve their community environment. Their nemesis is the Democrat machine that has robbed and angered them, destroyed their hopes, and leads them to continue to pursue their dysfunctional politics.

Capetonian

#36 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:21 am

Call me racist - I don't care, and as I am retired, my career is not threatened by saying so.
I wouldn't call you racist (glass houses and all that), I'd say that's intelligent and perceptive behaviour based on common sense and observation.
But then I'm probably a 'racist' too, and as you say, couldn't give a toss if that's what people think.

Slasher

#37 Post by Slasher » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:29 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:21 am
Call me racist - I don't care, and as I am retired, my career is not threatened by saying so.
I wouldn't call you racist (glass houses and all that), I'd say that's intelligent and perceptive behaviour based on common sense and observation.
But then I'm probably a 'racist' too, and as you say, couldn't give a toss if that's what people think.
Am I a racist in the sense of Cape and Ben? YES

Am I a racist in the sense of rabid commie PCers who don't have a bloody clue what real racism is? NO

[-(

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:35 am

:-h
AtomKraft wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Personally, the ethnicity of the perps is highly relevant to me, so I can avoid the bastards.
Very relevant for the reason given.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:39 am

BenThere, enjoy your trip to Europe. Behave as you would at home, except don't jump a red light. Don't get your wallet out in public. Pay for a taxi before you open the door. Don't open the door without looking round first. Don't use a cash machine in your own.

Do split cards and money so you don't lose everything. Do photograph or photo copy your passports.

If that is egg sucking it might help someone else.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by BenThere » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Thank you, Pontius.

I won't be driving at all as all our transportation is arranged and our stay will mostly be on a boat.

I've traveled the world extensively and found that my credit card is my best friend, and I charge everything I can. I get a rebate on charges and no foreign transaction fee, and the exchange rates Fidelity gives me are better than I can get locally. I use that card to live on in Mexico, where I often charge $5-10,000/month on it. For cash, I'll have a stash of 1,000 Euros or so to handle tips, market buys and cash required purchases. My bank lets me draw $500 USD per day, $450 Euros or so from any ATM. If we're spending more than that, in cash, my wife is going to get a spanking,