A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The disgraceful BBC

#741 Post by ian16th » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:16 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:05 pm
God Bless Ted Turner... (tsunami of right wing spittle rain expected)! =))
I know that Turner started CNN, but I don't think that he has anything to do with it today.

After marriage to Hanoi Jane, who know what his views are anyway?
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#742 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:20 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:16 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
I know that Turner started CNN, but I don't think that he has anything to do with it today.

Jane Fonda is a divisive figure, I will admit, but 'la bella figura' was perfect in Barbarella... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#743 Post by ian16th » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:29 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:20 pm
ian16th wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:16 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:

Jane Fonda is a divisive figure, I will admit, but 'la bella figura' was perfect in Barbarella... ;)))
In my opinion, FWIW, her most entertaining movie was Cat Ballou. With Lee Marvin, Stubby Kaye and Nat King Cole. But the star was Lee Marvin's horse!
Cynicism improves with age

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#744 Post by llondel » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:30 pm

Carlson has no credibility. When you consider the defence to a recent lawsuit was pretty much "we all know he tells lies, so why should anyone believe what he said in this case?" then even a court of law considers him to be a liar.

I tend to look at it that the "traditional" Republicans are starting to try to take back their party from the extremists, and these are the ones who voted for Biden because they realised that while to the left of their beliefs, we was still closer to them than Trump's out-there right-wing extremism. They might have been counting on retaining the Senate as a control though, so they didn't factor in Trump wrecking that for them.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#745 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:34 pm

Sadly, Ted Turner, once known as "The Mouth of The South" and "Captain America" for his America's Cup win, is in the grips of dementia and is living out his time at his ranch in Montana.
CBS did a good piece on him last year focusing on his journey with the disease.
He was a very colorful character in his day.

PP

prospector
Capt
Capt

#746 Post by prospector » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:39 pm

And just on the latest on the America's cup racing, the US of A are not having any success there either.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/sport/more-sp ... d=msedgdhp

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#747 Post by Jetex Jim » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:07 am

Anyone in any doubts about the disgraceful BBC?

Listen to this, totally outrageous.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009qn6
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#748 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:10 am

Jetex Jim wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:07 am
Anyone in any doubts about the disgraceful BBC?

Listen to this, totally outrageous.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009qn6

Totally disgraceful series Jetex. So bad that I have had to listen to all the programs on the Republican Presidents... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#749 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:25 am

Dreadful, and available over a year later. I wonder if they will pull it now

Hope not

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#750 Post by Boac » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:36 am

Are there any seats left for the outraged on the outrage bus?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#751 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:58 am

It really is time that the BBC grew a pair, and told its critics both Right and Left to go and f@ck themsleves. I mean look at at this...
Phil Spector: BBC apologises for calling murderer ‘talented but flawed’
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/medi ... 89166.html
The BBC has apologised over a headline describing Phil Spector, who died in prison while serving a murder sentence, as "talented but flawed".

The broadcaster admitted the headline on a breaking news story reporting the former music producer’s death “did not meet our editorial standards”.
Going around apologising all the time like, some creeping Jesus!

Phil Spector was talented and very flawed. They were telling the truth, but no, they have to go around obsequiously trying to placate the morons around them!

Rant, gibber, quiver, froth.... @-) =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#752 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:48 am

I see the BBC facilitated some non-essential travel and sent Emily Maitliss to the US to interview Ben Carson.

Why was it necessary to send her there? The interview could have been carried out on-line or the Beeb could have used one of the plethora of reporters they already have on site. No! They had to send the fragrant Emily as no doubt she has a distinctive, inimitable and recognisable style of interviewing*. It's just an excuse to waste licence tax payer's money on a vacuous employee who's only skill is looking like a cheap tart.

* taken from the BBC Manual of Arrogant Rebuffs to Viewers Complaints.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#753 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 pm

One way 🤞

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#754 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:01 pm

Manipulative broadcasters are feeding despair
The excessive number of intrusive reports from the hospital front line terrify already frightened people

Janet Daley

I had to turn off the television news half a dozen times last week...... I took this uncharacteristic step because I could not bear to watch, over and over again, the same film reports of appalling distress from hospital intensive care wards, some of them featuring interviews with patients who died after being filmed.

Presumably, the managers of broadcast news believe that this intrusive, emotionally manipulative programming is serving the national interest. By displaying the reality of the Covid epidemic and its consequences for the NHS, they are convincing those who doubt the seriousness of the situation..... that they are being criminally irresponsible.

I am sorry to have to tell all of you who are doing this in good conscience........ that the delinquents who organise illegal raves and the indifferent who host big parties ARE NOT WATCHING.........

The people who are watching,..... are the isolated, the lonely and the already frightened, who are being driven further into the depths of terror and despair.

Of course, it is right to report the genuine state of crisis in the hospitals and to include some testimony from their exhausted staff. But...... the main news bulletins were being led, not by information and badly needed factual evidence, but by these highly personal stories which, in journalistic terms, should be considered feature “colour” pieces..... And the 24-hour news channels were repeating the most upsetting of them, even if they were several days old, every hour of the day and night.

..... The broadcasters will, of course, say that this is all being done with the consent of patients’ families.
They must ask themselves, what is the likely effect of this on those who are not switching off? It can only be a sense of utter helplessness and vicarious grief. Eventually this must result either in resignation – a state of clinical depression – or in anger......
.... destructive of public morale which might, in the end, produce less compliance.....

If the Government, or the NHS, is facilitating this campaign, it would seem to be yet another consequence of their failure to read the effect on the national consciousness of their own bizarre changes of tone.
motoring along according to plan.
Read more at telegraph.co.uk/opinion
l have cut a lot out but I think she is right. Not only do we switch off the BBC news, we switch off the BBC.

I have said no caneras no journalists if I am in hospital.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#755 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:17 pm

Janet Daley sounds slighty shrill and deranged. Her intimation that the recent lurgy surge is only due to ravers and party goers misses the point or is tendentious. A large % of the population, journalists and the government have been avoiding the reasons why this country is still a world plague leader. A couple of grim truths might do the country some good. I suggest that Ms Daley loosens her corsets and has the vapours in a darkened private room!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#756 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:23 pm

I have cut a lot of rhetoric but I think she is not wrong. I am not alone in not needing to watch yet another needle spearing into nonogerian flesh. Not only did I not look, I never even felt my jab.

Also I don't need to see some very old and very ill patient in bed. Been there, done that, and rather in privacy. Had I had a news team at the time I would probably not have known.

As far as I am concerned, they are not medical staff and have no right to even be there.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#757 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:34 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:23 pm
I have cut a lot of rhetoric but I think she is not wrong. I am not alone in not needing to watch yet another needle spearing into nonogerian flesh. Not only did I not look, I never even felt my jab.

Also I don't need to see some very old and very ill patient in bed. Been there, done that, and rather in privacy. Had I had a news team at the time I would probably not have known.

As far as I am concerned, they are not medical staff and have no right to even be there.
I am sure you are well informed and don't have to be patronised, alarmed, led or spoon fed PN, but there are plenty of others out there who have not grasped the situation and need to be confronted with the unpalatable consequences of their actions, lack of knowledge and bad behaviours, which have consequences for us all. With rights come duties too...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#758 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:46 pm

TGG, you are quite right. What Daley said quite correctly, the ones who need to be told do not watch the BBC.

In a couple of jobs where I have met the great British public I was amazed at the ignorance of seemingly sensible citizens. In contrast many airmen with whom I have worked have been intelligent, articulate and very aware.

To give one example of the former, we were doing the census. This woman in her thirties was completely ignorant of anything not connected with her horse.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#759 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:35 pm

Reading this thread one would assume that the BBC broadcasts via something like the permanently-on, cannot-be-switched-off screen fitted in every dwelling in George Orwell's "1984". Amazingly, it's not! The only thing less worth commenting on than a program or news item that disturbs you is commenting on someone writing about programs or news items that disturb you.

fin
Capt
Capt

#760 Post by fin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:32 pm

My phone chimed. BBC "breaking news".

About something that happened last month.

Breaking???
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.