Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The disgraceful BBC

#162 Post by ian16th » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:13 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:47 am
Way to go to beat Russia Today!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -should-be
If you read the article, it is quite understandable, because, The mistake came in a segment produced by their US bureau!
Cynicism improves with age

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#163 Post by Ibbie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:36 pm

BBC News out on the Costa del Sol scarmongering about effects of brexit for ex-pat residents again.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by Wodrick » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:58 pm

Ibbie wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:36 pm
BBC News out on the Costa del Sol scarmongering about effects of brexit for ex-pat residents again.
I was moved to e-mail BBC Breakfast this morning about their crap research for the article on Health care provision.
This after I lost my temper and turned it off.
Utter crap.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:34 am

Hope they emphasised the fact that with the contaminated food scandals in Spain, the listeria, the tuna etc, the expats on the Costas really need that health insurance.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:45 am

Did anyone hear Geoffrey Boycotts' interview on the Today prog' this morning?
They had invited him on because he was made Sir Geoffrey, in honour of his contribution to cricket I expect.

Near the end of a convivial chat about cricket etc, presumably to let the millions listening quietly congratulate GB on his honour and to hear about the reasons for the award, the girl suddenly changes the tone completely as she adds in a sweet voice
'And what about your conviction for domestic violence?'

I mean, for fuxxsakes.

Have they no good manners?
The bring an elderly gent, who'se done some notable sporting stuff on, to chat about a probably well deserved honour in what you'd expect to be a chatty, friendly piece, aimed at those who are into cricket- then suddenly turn it into an attack on his character, referring to some alleged incident from 25 years ago, that's long been dealt with.

I've no interest in Boycott, or cricket but this was piss-poor and outrageously rude and insulting.

A **** pox on this woman's shitey attitude, and a pox on the BBCs appalling ideas of how to conduct themselves.

Pissed me right off.

ribrash

#167 Post by ribrash » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:40 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:45 am
Did anyone hear Geoffrey Boycotts' interview on the Today prog' this morning?
They had invited him on because he was made Sir Geoffrey, in honour of his contribution to cricket I expect.

Near the end of a convivial chat about cricket etc, presumably to let the millions listening quietly congratulate GB on his honour and to hear about the reasons for the award, the girl suddenly changes the tone completely as she adds in a sweet voice
'And what about your conviction for domestic violence?'

I mean, for fuxxsakes.

Have they no good manners?
The bring an elderly gent, who'se done some notable sporting stuff on, to chat about a probably well deserved honour in what you'd expect to be a chatty, friendly piece, aimed at those who are into cricket- then suddenly turn it into an attack on his character, referring to some alleged incident from 25 years ago, that's long been dealt with.

I've no interest in Boycott, or cricket but this was piss-poor and outrageously rude and insulting.

A f*cking pox on this woman's shitey attitude, and a pox on the BBCs appalling ideas of how to conduct themselves.

Pissed me right off.
+2

Capetonian

#168 Post by Capetonian » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:14 pm

That he doesn't give a toss is commendable. That he has the balls to make that opinion public, even more commendable.
The former England cricketer Geoffrey Boycott has said he “does not give a toss” about criticism of his knighthood from a leading domestic violence charity.

Responding to Adina Claire, the co-acting chief executive of Women’s Aid, who described his knighthood as “extremely disappointing”, Boycott told the Radio 4 Today programme presenter Martha Kearney: “I don’t give a toss about her, love.”

The honour sparked controversy because of his 1998 conviction for assaulting his then girlfriend, Margaret Moore.

A French court fined him £5,000 (sterling) and handed down a three-month suspended jail sentence.

He has always denied the charge.

Claire said: “Celebrating a man who was convicted for assaulting his partner sends a dangerous message - that domestic abuse is not taken seriously as a crime.

“With increasing awareness of domestic abuse, and a domestic abuse bill ready to be taken forward by government, it is extremely disappointing that a knighthood has been recommended for Geoffrey Boycott, who is a convicted perpetrator of domestic abuse.”

Mrs May, who introduced a landmark domestic abuse bill to parliament earlier this year, gave Boycott a knighthood for services to sport in her resignation honours list.

A spokeswoman from the Woman’s Trust said: “It’s disappointing to see Geoffrey Boycott included in Theresa May’s honours list, given her vocal support for domestic abuse survivors and the domestic abuse bill.

“While we welcome the recent domestic abuse bill for its work to widen the definition of domestic abuse, the inclusion of Geoffrey Boycott in the honours list shows just how much our attitude as a society needs to change when it comes to supporting survivors.”

In an extraordinary exchange, Kearney asked why Boycott had not been given the honour sooner, and suggested that one reason could be the conviction.

The former cricketer proclaimed his innocence and cited his outspoken support for Brexit. He went on to say: “You can take your political nature and do whatever you want with it.”

He said: “25 years ago, love. In a French court, she tried to blackmail me for £1 million (sterling). I said no, because in England if you pay any money at all, we think: ‘Hang on, there must be something there.’ I said: ‘I’m not paying anything’ ? I’m not sure I’d actually got a million at the time.

“It’s a court case in France where you’re guilty, which is one of the reasons I [didn’t] vote to remain in Europe - because you’re guilty until you’re proved innocent.

“That’s totally the opposite from England and it’s very difficult to prove you’re innocent in another country and another language.

“Most people in England don’t believe it. I didn’t do it. Move on. It’s a cross I have to bear, right or wrong, good or bad, I have to live with it. And I do, because I’m clear in my mind and I think most people in England are that it’s not true.

“I don’t care a toss about her, love. It was 25 years ago. You can take your political nature and do whatever you want with it. You want to talk to me about my knighthood. It’s very nice of you to have me, but I couldn’t give a toss.

“This is just recognition of my cricket. [It’s] very nice, very honoured, thankful to Theresa May and I thank all the people that supported me and cared for me throughout my cricketing career.”

Reacting to Boycott’s radio appearance, the Women’s Equality Party called for a “Boycott boycott”.

On the knighthood, a spokeswoman from the Woman’s Trust said: “It’s disappointing to see Geoffrey Boycott included in Theresa May’s honours list, given her vocal support for domestic abuse survivors and the domestic abuse bill.

“While we welcome the recent domestic abuse bill for its work to widen the definition of domestic abuse, the inclusion of Geoffrey Boycott in the honours list shows just how much our attitude as a society needs to change when it comes to supporting survivors.”

An estimated 1.3 million women and 695,000 men experienced domestic abuse in the past year, according to Office for National Statistics figures from November 2018.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#169 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:30 pm

+3. I listened to that interview. Well done Sir Geoffrey for expressing his views in such an unambiguous manner. Martha Kearney has obviously been taught at the Cathy Newman School for Unintelligent Interviewing.

It really is time the BBC was stripped of "its unique method of funding" and made to earn its keep like the commercial channels. It has completely forgotten that its charter requires it to 'inform, educate, entertain'. This interview met none of those requirements!
It's always my fault - SWMBO

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#170 Post by 1DC » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Well Done Sir Geoffrey.
The sunday morning politic show was typical BBC, an easy interview for communist McDonnel and a hard one for Minister Javid..

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by 1DC » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 pm

The BBC doesn't add any value to this country, it should be stripped of it's name which should be kept mothballed and the company then sold.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#172 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Mrs 4ma was uncharacteristically abrupt when the BBC repeated selected parts of that interview and the comments by the Woman's Aid rep on the early evening news. She said "Good for you Sir Geoffrey, that woman is a bloody snowflake". Mrs 4ma is normally a very mild mannered lady.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#173 Post by Ibbie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:25 am

How after John Humphrey's last 'Today' program this morning could you follow it with that boring git Melvyn Bragg and his even more boring 'In Our Time' program , which is an obscure history program, about nothing in the time of anyone living today, for him to get his mates on, for a discussion more suited to a Bragg dinner party conversation, I think?

Utter crap and waste of fees.

Can we not have Bragg retired forcably?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#174 Post by BenThere » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:39 pm

How could it have gone wrong for BBC. He was male. He was white. He was accused of abuse. Is there any possible verdict but guilty? Why even have a hearing?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 pm

Old, too!
..and he doesn't commentate on the BBC, and gets more viewers!

Off with his head!

Capetonian

#176 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 am

Good to see that one of these harridans has been reined in.
The executive complaints unit at the BBC determined that Ms Maitlis had been too 'persistent and personal' during the late night discussion on BBC2 on July 15 (pictured). The incident, where she told Mr Liddle to 'get a grip' and said his columns contained 'casual racism' left her open to claims she had 'failed to be even-handed', their report said.

The row came during a news segment with Mr Liddle, associate editor at The Spectator and columnist for The Sun, and Tom Baldwin, director of communications for the People's Vote campaign. Viewers claimed the presenter's attitude towards Liddle was systemic of the way the BBC has portrayed leave voters. And according to industry bible Press Gazette, the BBC found against the star presenter. Ms Maitlis has also been accused of bias after it emerged she regularly shared articles by Remainer journalists including one with the headline: 'Brexit is putting me off this whole 'will of the people' idea'.

She was also caught on camera rolling her eyes at Labour MP Barry Gardiner during a live broadcast on College Green while discussing the UK's failure to leave the EU.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#177 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:49 am

'Nagger' Munchetty has had a spanking too https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 19506.html

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#178 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:35 pm

I've had a listen to what she said and I cannot see what the complaint was about.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#179 Post by BenThere » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:16 pm

There's a lot of things you can't see, Boac. Don't worry too much about it though, as there a lot of people just like you who can't see the big picture either. You've got a lot of company. Take comfort in that, for now.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#180 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:19 pm

I am indeed comforted, and will be further so if you can identify the reason for the complaint.

"there a lot of people just like you who can't see the big picture either." Classic - absolutely classic. =))