The disgraceful BBC

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: I know I shouldn't but....

#721 Post by Rossian » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:44 pm

Ibbie - you complained about presenters trying to words in interviewee mouths. I agree it makes me cross too.
Then you say "So now you are saying she can't pronounce her own name correctly" in your reply to me?
Pot /kettle??

The Ancient Mariner

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: I know I shouldn't but....

#722 Post by Rossian » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:45 pm

Ibbie - you complained about presenters trying to words in interviewee mouths. I agree it makes me cross too.
Then you say "So now you are saying she can't pronounce her own name correctly" in your reply to me?
Pot /kettle??

The Ancient Mariner

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The disgraceful BBC

#723 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:38 pm

"So now you are saying"- fill your boots and enjoy.

But caution, be advised, J P is on the same side of the political spectrum as the awful Douglas Murray, so threatening to TGG and others on this forum, so beware you might become indoctrinated by even watching this short example of car-crash interviewing which went viral! :)) =))

And following much later, this about the BBC;

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#724 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:48 pm

As antidote to the negative tirades and general anti-BBC tripe here I offer (those in the UK anyway) some of the best stuff they do...
Cecil Lewis was a fighter pilot with the Royal Flying Corps, and had only 20 hours of flying experience when first posted to France for reconnaissance and contact patrol duties. His unique account documents the appearance of the Somme from the air - trenches that looked like the edge of lace doilies, and shells like lobbed tennis balls. His account is permeated with fearful honesty about how frightening it was to fight alone in the air, in stark contrast to the almost enjoyable hours spent on the airfields and towns of France.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... thur-lewis

Cecil Lewis
In 1922 Lewis was one of the five young founding executives of the British Broadcasting Company, precursor of the British Broadcasting Corporation, where he was a writer, producer and director. The other four were John Reith, Arthur Burrows, Stanton Jefferies and Peter Eckersley. In 1931, he co-wrote and directed a short film adaptation of the George Bernard Shaw play How He Lied to Her Husband. In late 1936 – early 1937 he was a producer and presenter for the infant BBC Television Service at Alexandra Palace. At the 1938 Academy Awards ceremony, Lewis, Shaw, Ian Dalrymple and W. P. Lipscomb were awarded Oscars for their screen adaptation of Pygmalion
For those who can't access.. the BBC link...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#725 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:03 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#726 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:28 pm

Methinks I detect the stench of a red herring which is decidedly well beyond it's 'use by' date?

Having posted an item specifically relevant to the thread, along comes our favourite smokescreen and attempts to obliterate my contribution!

It cannot be a total coincidence that far too often after I post something which annoys or irritates some here, it is immediately followed by trivia or personal attacks, specifically designed to 'bury' the message in mushroom compost instead of addressing the THREAD TOPIC? :ymsick:

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#727 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:32 pm

BM - are you struggling with English as well? You really have problems. What difficulty do you have with
As antidote to the negative tirades and general anti-BBC tripe here I offer
Just because TGG hasn't sprayed nitric acid over the topic does not mean is not relevant.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#728 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:33 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:28 pm
Methinks I detect the stench of a red herring which is decidedly well beyond it's 'use by' date?

Having posted an item specifically relevant to the thread, along comes our favourite smokescreen and attempts to obliterate my contribution!

It cannot be a total coincidence that far too often after I post something which annoys or irritates some here, it is immediately followed by trivia or personal attacks, specifically designed to 'bury' the message in mushroom compost instead of addressing the THREAD TOPIC? :ymsick:
You have been well pinged by the Radar pal and will get a missile up your negative backside whenever the operator(s) feel it prudent. Your thoughts as to what is relevant or not are yours alone, and you are, of course, entitled to them, but you don't set the agenda anywhere! :p ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#729 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:44 pm

I'm not setting ANY agenda, just musing as to the number and nature of these incredible coincidences where my posts are concerned!

It has been an especially noticeable occurrence with many of my obviously rebellious posts on the Covid-1984 topic... [-X

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#730 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:48 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:44 pm
I'm not setting ANY agenda, just musing as to the number and nature of these incredible coincidences where my posts are concerned!

It has been an especially noticeable occurrence with many of my obviously rebellious posts on the Covid-1984 topic... [-X
Perhaps you are being stalked bm! =))

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't necessarily make you wrong!

I think the law of averages means that you and I are going to tangle on many threads, on days like today, when, apart from a meeting, I have idled my time away on this fine site. I really must try and find a life bm, but what with this lockdown it is very hard. Besides, that aside, it is so much FUN teasing you!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#731 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:56 pm

Try this, BM

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#732 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:02 pm

Forget about bm, I have woken to the stress relief that your fine video confers Boac... Aaah, breathe... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#733 Post by barkingmad » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:52 am

“What’s worse than being talked about...? :-? :)) =))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#734 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:33 am

Why you won't find Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson on British TV

But if you want them, you have to keep them.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/16/media/fo ... index.html

London (CNN Business)The insurrection at the US Capitol has sparked a political firestorm and unnerved millions of Americans. It has also unleashed a wave of criticism over the role played by pro-Trump media outlets such as Fox News, which fed lies and conspiracy theories about the election to angry supporters of the president for weeks.

"The mob that stormed and desecrated the Capitol ... could not have existed in a country that hadn't been radicalized by the likes of [Fox News hosts] Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham, and swayed by biased news coverage," wrote Washington Post media columnist Margaret Sullivan.
But are the airwaves of any democracy free of this kind of harmful propaganda and downright fiction? The United Kingdom, for one, comes pretty close.
Though the UK media scene is defined in part by a freewheeling and often partisan tabloid press with its own share of conspiracy theories, its TV news channels largely frame their coverage down the middle, with broadcasters such as the BBC and ITV maintaining high levels of public trust. Rupert Murdoch's Fox News is no longer on air in the country after failing to generate a significant viewer base.

What the impartiality rules do is ensure you cannot have the kind of shock jock culture."
A big factor in this is media regulator Ofcom, which enforces rules on impartiality and accuracy for all news broadcasters. Those who breach the rules can be censured or fined — putting pressure on TV channels to play stories fairly straight.
Russian state-funded news channel RT, for example, was slapped with a £200,000 ($272,000) penalty for repeatedly breaking impartiality rules in its 2018 coverage of the poisonings of former double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter, as well as the conflict in Syria. It has not been fined since.
"What the impartiality rules do is ensure you cannot have the kind of shock jock culture — [a] far right, or indeed far left, one-sided interpretation of events," said Steven Barnett, a professor of media and communication at the University of Westminster.
The UK system isn't perfect. A review of BBC coverage ahead of the 2016 Brexit referendum found that its main news program was more negative on the European Union than Russian President Vladimir Putin. And two new media ventures expected to launch shortly could again push the limits of what's allowed. But according to experts, the framework has protected against the kind of disinformation peddled by Fox News in the United States.

Ofcom, which was established in 2003, has two important standards that the news broadcasters it licenses must abide by — "due impartiality" and "due accuracy."
This does not mean that equal time needs to be given on television and radio to both sides of an issue. But broadcasters do have a responsibility at least to acknowledge opposing viewpoints, and to quickly correct "significant mistakes."
When Fox News was on the air in the United Kingdom, its top stars were found to have violated the regulator's rules.
Ofcom said that a Hannity program about President Donald Trump's executive order restricting travel from seven majority-Muslim countries didn't do enough to surface the viewpoints of those who opposed the order. Ofcom also said that a separate Carlson broadcast following the 2017 Manchester terror attack — which included claims that UK authorities had done nothing to stop terrorism or to protect "thousands of underage girls" from rape and abuse — did not adequately reflect alternate perspectives.
Fox News was pulled off air in the United Kingdom later in 2017 when Murdoch, the billionaire chairman of News Corp and Fox News' parent company, was seeking government approval to purchase the shares he didn't own of European pay TV network Sky. (He ended up selling his Sky holdings to Comcast.)
21st Century Fox, the network's parent company at the time, said it made the decision because Fox News had attracted "only a few thousand viewers across the day" in the United Kingdom, and it didn't make commercial sense to continue broadcasting. But the move also came amid scrutiny from Ofcom, which had previously slammed Fox's handling of sexual harassment allegations against former network boss Roger Ailes and former star host Bill O'Reilly, calling their alleged conduct "deeply disturbing."

Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity's programs were found to have breached Ofcom's impartiality standards in 2017.
Such warnings hint at the trouble Fox News could have faced had it stuck it out during the Trump era.
Hefty penalties awarded to other channels, such as RT, have effectively communicated the consequences of slipping up to media executives, said Trevor Barnes, a TV and radio compliance consultant and former Ofcom official.
"They're aware that if they misbehave, they'll be hit with a fine," he said.
The United States, meanwhile, doesn't have these kinds of rules — and hasn't since the Reagan era, when the Federal Communications Commission stopped enforcing the so-called Fairness Doctrine for TV and radio stations. Historians believe the demise of this rule, which required broadcasters to present a variety of views on issues of public importance, paved the way for the explosion of conservative talk radio in the late 1980s and 1990s, which later served as a model for Fox. Those talk radio shows continue to be popular today.
As a cable network, Fox News wouldn't have been bound by the doctrine, which only applied to broadcast channels. But Julian Zelizer, a history professor at Princeton University and CNN contributor, said its removal changed the rules of the game.
"It served as a kind of check," Zelizer said. "It was always on the mind of everyone who was in the news business."
Now, even members of the Murdoch family are reckoning with the role Fox News has played. James Murdoch, who made a dramatic break from his family last year when he resigned from the board of News Corp, said in a statement on Friday that "spreading disinformation" has "real world consequences." While he did not mention Fox News by name, it was clear his focus was on the network controlled by his father and brother.
"Many media property owners have as much responsibility for this as the elected officials who know the truth but choose instead to propagate lies. We hope the awful scenes we have all been seeing will finally convince those enablers to repudiate the toxic politics they have promoted once and forever," James Murdoch and his wife, Kathryn Murdoch, said in a joint statement to the Financial Times.
New networks may test the system
The United Kingdom has largely watched the Capitol riot and its aftermath in horror.
"The events ... have been the ultimate demonstration of what can happen when those fundamental pillars of democracy break down: accurate information [and] fair information," Barnett said.
But two outlets expected to debut shortly in the United Kingdom could test the bounds of the regulatory system, including Ofcom's appetite for enforcement.
Murdoch's UK operation, which still controls three big British newspapers — The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times — is working on a new video venture, having recently received a license under the name News UK TV. Details haven't been announced.
Meanwhile, upstart competitor GB News, which recently secured £60 million ($81 million) from investors, is hiring journalists as it prepares to launch a 24-hour news channel.
"Many British people are crying out for a news service that is more diverse and more representative of their values and concerns," former BBC host Andrew Neil, who will serve as the chairman of GB News, said in a statement last week. Neil was previously the editor of Murdoch's Sunday Times and executive chairman of Sky TV.
Critics fear the News UK TV venture and GB News could move to take on the BBC and fill a perceived gap in right-wing broadcasting, sparking concerns about whether UK regulators are up to the task of maintaining due impartiality, or whether Britain could soon have its own Fox News-type problem.
Both outlets may play things fairly safe at first, and Barnes noted that the rules will give them some latitude.
"There's no requirement under due impartiality for a channel not to have a bias," he said. "All it requires is you reflect, to a pretty small degree, what the opposing viewpoint is."
But Barnett is worried that over time, there could be a slow erosion of norms — combined with an anti-Ofcom push from Murdoch's powerful papers, who may level criticisms of a "nanny state regulator telling us what we can and can't say." News Corp declined to comment.
"I will make a prediction that within a year we will see a concerted attack within the Murdoch press on Ofcom," he said. And if support for the regulator fades, all bets will be off.

PP

prospector
Capt
Capt

#735 Post by prospector » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:34 am

\ What crap, who has the biggest audience on cable TV in America??? Tucker Carlson. closely followed by Sean Hannity, And we are told those are audited numbers.

Not because they work for FOX news, but their interpretation of events is much more credible. The crap that comes form Washington Compost is so patently biased as not to be a news outlet but completely and utterly anti trump and anything republican. Who owns the Washington Compost? and is he another that is suffering from TDS? Not only are the Democrats sore looser"s they are also sore winners?? It will be very interesting observing the US of A as it goes down the diversity and wokeness program the Dems have lined up.

A prime example being Twatter banning Trump, and yet complaining bitterly when the Ugandan president bans them from his country for disinformation prior to the their general election.

I wonder where he got the information and desire to ban twatter, perhaps his observation of the events in America??
Why pick on Murdoch alone? he has plenty of Company

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katevinton ... 4df14660ad

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#736 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:06 am

Heard a variation of the closed question last night. The interviewer went on so long presenting two scenarios and outcomes and asked the professor to chose. Why do they think we want to hear them?
How I wish they would respond "was that a. question" or 'the former'

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#737 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:35 pm

A big factor in this is media regulator Ofcom, which enforces rules on impartiality and accuracy for all news broadcasters.

=)) =)) =)) =)) *****!!
It's always my fault - SWMBO

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#738 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:47 pm

Apparently, Fox News, or as they have become known here as "MAGA Media" is beginning to abandon Trump. I have to hear this second hand because I cannot abide their sycophancy and outright lies.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#739 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:56 pm

Granted, this is from CNN but...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/16/media/fo ... index.html

Analysis: TV news is realigning, with Fox's ratings sagging and CNN's soaring
By Brian Stelter, CNN Business

Tucker Carlson claims vaccine campaign 'feels false, because it is'

Fox News targets Bill Gates after CNN interview
local news anchor unemployment help newsroom intv vpx _00001423.png
How a news anchor helped over 4,000 Americans this year

Fox News' Geraldo Rivera spars over election fraud claims: 'Stop this!'

Watch President Trump's first on-camera interview since the election

Stelter: This was Fox News' biggest story last week
WILMINGTON, DELAWARE - NOVEMBER 07: President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris take the stage at the Chase Center to address the nation November 07, 2020 in Wilmington, Delaware. After four days of counting the high volume of mail-in ballots in key battleground states due to the coronavirus pandemic, the race was called for Biden after a contentious election battle against incumbent Republican President Donald Trump. (Photo by Andrew Harnik-Pool/Getty Images)
Time magazine chooses Biden and Harris as 2020's Person of the Year

Stelter: Right-wing media has shifted in a way I've never seen before

Tucker Carlson claims vaccine campaign 'feels false, because it is'

Fox News targets Bill Gates after CNN interview

Fox News' Geraldo Rivera spars over election fraud claims: 'Stop this!'

Right-wing media slams GOP lawmakers who voted to impeach

New York (CNN)A realignment in TV news is under way. Fox News Channel's ratings have sagged ever since Election Day. And CNN's ratings have surged to historic levels.

These shifts are related, but complicated. It's not as simple as "X is up so Y is down." People who don't normally watch a lot of cable news are looking for reliable information about the pandemic, the presidential transition and the terror threat. CNN is benefiting and Fox is not.
Furthermore, a big chunk of Fox's base audience was demoralized by Trump's loss in November and disheartened by the pro-Trump riot last week. Fox's average viewership levels are about 20% lower than they were before the election, even though overall TV news viewership is elevated due to the current combination of crises.
A certain amount of short-lived audience erosion was expected for Fox in the event of a Biden victory, since the channel and its viewers were rooting for Trump.
Fox is also under pressure from the right like never before, with channels like Newsmax and One America News chipping away at Fox's core audience.
But this shift is bigger than Newsmax -- and it's longer-lasting than many TV observers anticipated.
The scoreboard
For Fox, it's extremely discomfiting not to be No. 1 all day, every day. Fox's lineup of right-wing talk shows -- a rage-fueled alternative to CNN, MSNBC and nightly newscasts -- has made the network all but untouchable for most of the last two decades. Fox has wielded its No. 1 status the way a controversial head coach touts a championship.
But now, all of a sudden, it can't point to the scoreboard anymore. Since the day after the election, CNN has been No. 1 in the 25- to 54-year-old demographic that the cable news business is built on.
Fox's audience has always skewed older, so Fox has always had total viewer bragging rights, even when CNN notched victories in younger demographics. But for the past nine straight days, CNN has also been No. 1 in the total viewer race.
James Murdoch criticizes 'media property owners' who have 'unleashed insidious' forces with election denialism claims
James Murdoch criticizes 'media property owners' who have 'unleashed insidious' forces with election denialism claims
This surge has been driven by the big news out of Washington, from the insurrection to the impeachment vote. January 6, which began with Senate runoff news and continued with the pro-Trump riot at the Capitol, was CNN's most-watched day in its history.
MSNBC has been No. 2 many days, benefiting from some of the same factors but not nearly to the same extent.
This month to date, CNN has averaged 2.08 million viewers throughout the day; MSNBC has averaged 1.74 million; and Fox has averaged 1.41 million. Even in prime time, when Fox is at its strongest, it has been stuck in third place. Already, CNN's post-election victories have enhanced CNN's position in the marketplace. The network has been running "MOST WATCHED CABLE NEWS NETWORK" ads on the air this week.
So when you read about Rupert Murdoch reasserting himself at Fox, when you hear about schedule changes, when you see far-right rhetoric overtaking news coverage, the context is Fox's sudden fall.
Some Fox fans are turning off the news altogether
Where have Fox's fans gone? Networks frequently conduct audience research, so Fox probably has a pretty solid answer to that question. Fox sources say that some viewers have sampled Newsmax, yes, but many have just chosen to turn off the news altogether. They're watching Hallmark, HGTV or Netflix instead.
I asked Hofstra communications school dean Mark Lukasiewicz, a former NBC News and MSNBC executive, for his analysis on what has happened to the Fox base. He wrote back: "Tristan Harris famously said that social networks are about 'affirmation, not information' -- and the same can be said about cable news, especially in prime time. But for the conservative media ecosystem, just what should be affirmed has suddenly become an existential question."
"The unified wall of support for Trump has splintered after last week's assault on the Capitol," Lukasiewicz said. "Republicans are disagreeing with Republicans on the most basic questions: Should Trump be impeached? Should he be convicted? Does he bear responsibility for what happened? I suspect traditionally conservative audiences are bewildered and confused. Confusion is certainly apparent among many conservative media producers and commentators -- trying to find their footing as the story of the Capitol assault, and the President's reaction, keeps getting worse."
True -- and let me just add, Fox is covering the daily revelations about the scale of the attack a whole lot less extensively than CNN or MSNBC. Fox is focusing on what it calls "Big Tech censorship" instead, but I strongly suspect that most people want news about the terror threat right now, not Twitter. Frankly, many Fox shows are running away from the news rather than reporting on it.
Five possible reasons for Fox's struggles
Colby Hall listed his theories in this new Mediaite story. First: "A historic news cycle — for the competition." Second: Fox's decision to de-emphasize the news division "in favor of more opinion programming." Third: The opinion shows going "all-in on conspiracies." Fourth: Fox being "outflanked on the fringe right by OANN and Newsmax." Fifth: "Message fatigue."
The big unknown: How long will this last?
No doubt some Fox fanatics will come home in the coming weeks, as Fox will serve up a steady diet of anti-Democrat stories. Historically, when crazed news cycles calm down, so do CNN's ratings. But the ratings data could also portend a more permanent shift in audience habits. That's one of the big questions in TV news circles right now: How long will CNN remain ahead of Fox?
Another question: Is this realignment bigger than cable? CNN has also out-rated the broadcast networks (NBC, ABC and CBS) during across-the-board special coverage of the Georgia runoff races, the Capitol riot and the impeachment debate. During Wednesday's floor debate and vote, CNN was easily No. 1, with 3.8 million viewers in the afternoon, while the other networks each had 2.6 million viewers or fewer. It is a striking thing to see at the tail end of the Trump era, after four years of "fake news" slings and arrows, many of them directed at CNN.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#740 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:05 pm

God Bless Ted Turner... (tsunami of right wing spittle rain expected)! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."