The disgraceful BBC

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The disgraceful BBC

#141 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:05 pm

After an excellent 2 day conference provided in-house by my school in the 1970s, I became convinced that media are and always have been a bunch of mendacious propagandists, with the occasional lucid moments, when it comes to news and politics. My mother recalls her grandfather yelling "Propaganda!" at the BBC radio news in the 1930s. A vast amount of effort goes not into telling the truth, but into ensuring one cannot be legally sued for lying. The easiest ways are to avoid reporting, or de-emphasising, whatever does not suit one's agenda. My family became friends with a BBC producer (nature programs, not news), who was a decent bloke, and I think the only real limitation on the behaviour of the media is that the individuals within it wish to be seen as 'decent blokes' by their neighbours. However, I suspect the vast majority now live in enclaves surrounded by other media and political fixers who regard everything as having a price, and their only virtue being how much dosh they can extract for selling what we would call virtues.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#142 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:19 pm

Fox, one of my OU courses involved a dissertation on German and British film propaganda up to 1945. Previously I had, by keeping The Times clippings on a particular subject, discovered that many articles were unashamedly regurgitated every couple of months with minor updates. I found the same with pre-war newsreels. A new clip on aero engine production was repeated exactly a year later.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#143 Post by BenThere » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:29 pm

Back then, though, the propaganda was part of the war effort, which meant it was critical to the survival of the nation. We don't face that now.

What we face now is the long battle between Right and Left for political power, a much less important consideration. If the Left wins in 2020 I can live in Mexico, largely unaffected. If the Right wins in 2020 I'll stick around to share in the prosperity.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#144 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:52 pm

My maternal grandmother kept a lot of Government pamphlets from the war. It was very interesting having, side by side, one leaflet from 1940 (just after Coventry, I think) which told how Nazi area bombing would never break the British people's will, and another from 1943 about how RAF area bombing was certain to break the German people's will. Propagandists always hope that you never keep records ;)))

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#145 Post by BenThere » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm

1940 was pivotal for Great Britain. It witnessed and endured Dunkirk, The Battle of Britain, the surrender of France and the ascendance of Winton Churchill.

The Uk stood alone as all of its Europe allies had succumbed to the Nazi juggernaut. The US would not directly join the European war for another year. The outlook was bleak but the Brits didn't give up, in my view much due to the fierce resistance Churchill promised. It may have been the greatest goal line stand ever made. 1940 was inspiring and I'll always respect the Brits for that.

Alas, I fear the Brits and Americans today, the people and not the soldiers, are not made of the same stuff. I blame the Left. But I'm hopeful that when times get tough again that old spirit will revive. That's part of the reason I still like President Trump and see promise in PM Boris Johnson.

Slasher

#146 Post by Slasher » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:08 am

BenThere wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm
1940 was pivotal for Great Britain. It witnessed and endured Dunkirk, The Battle of Britain, the surrender of France and the ascendance of Winton Churchill.
Yep I fully agree Ben. As a student of the BoB I am constantly amazed at the tenacity the Poms had during England's Darkest Hour.

I believe though that this tenacity was due in no small part to Churchill. I've listened and seen all his speeches and pics. Even the photos of him with his cigar pointing upwards symbolised British defiance with a 'f**k you Adolf!' air.

I think I mentioned the following to 603DX on the last two letters thread. Whilst in England years ago I went to the southeast coast south of Dover (Hell's Corner). Standing just in from the beach I closed my eyes and imagined its now August 1940. I opened my eyes and the feeling was uncanny, knowing there were a million Nazis waiting across the Channel to come over and kill you. I imagined huge swarms of Luftwaffe bombers in the sky on their way to bomb the sh!t out of their targets. I fully admit it was terrifying to say the least. I got back to the present and it was a mighty relief.

London had changed since 1945 but in a quiet corner at 2am on Fleet St I did the same trick. Same feeling as I imagined bombs crashing around me, an air warden coming to me and yelling to get to the Underground, a building hit by a bomb just over the road, the carnage, the screaming, day after day, night after bloody night. My feeling was total rage - and a strong desire to jump into a Spit and shoot those murderous bastards out of the sky even if it cost my life. I understood then the Polish squadrons savagery against the Hun for brutally destroying their homeland.

I returned to the present. The anger and outrage rapidly subsiding.

I believe, in the BoB component anyway, that one man defending his loved ones is worth more than 10 hired soldiers. That combined with Sir Winston's inspirations meant the Nazis were up against one hell of defenders.

Like you the Poms have earned my undying respect. But I hope that, 75 years later, the tenacity and guts of the English people back then wasn't all in vain.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#147 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:53 am

BenThere wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm

Alas, I fear the Brits and Americans today, the people and not the soldiers, are not made of the same stuff. I blame the Left.
I would blame the media, though you could say left and media are synonymous.

The 'brutal and licencious soldiery' are news worthy and also occasional disaster relief, but good soldiers are not. We still have quiet men stepping forward and doing their duty.

Feckless youth of today would probably respond well if called upon but compulsory National Service is not an answer.

Sisemen

#148 Post by Sisemen » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:55 am

Fear not Slash. It’s there in spades when needed. Today’s 19/20 year old is the same as in 1940. Witness Korea, Falklands, The Gulf ...

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#149 Post by barkingmad » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:17 pm

Back to the thread.

Maybe time for UKs Channel 4 to join the BBC in the dock?

Publicly funded as well..............?!

Capetonian

#150 Post by Capetonian » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:22 am

Another dismal failure of a 'comedy' series : Hold The Sunset.

I watched a few minutes the other night as I (used to) like John Cleese and it took me a while to realise it was meant to be a comedy, it then took me a few more minutes to try to find anything remotely funny in it, and switched off.

Hold The Sunset review: makes Mrs Brown's Boys look like a comic masterpiece
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2019/08/ ... /#comments

Quite how they achieved something even less funny than the abysmal and insulting to the Irish, and our intelligence, Mrs Brown's Boys, is hard to imagine, but they did.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#151 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:56 am

We listened to a few minutes of a radio comedy. Everything he said brought raucous laughter. Speak with Irish accent (automatically funny), shout, throw in a few swear words, turn up laughter box - winner.

Nothing remotely funny. Have they never watched comedy like fools and horses or similar. Quiet, drole, easy to miss. Good comedians depend on timing and don't need queued laughter to say - joke now laugh.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#152 Post by om15 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:19 am

There are no well written well presented comedies these days, perhaps with the exception of "Still Game", possibly the target audience prefer to see fat people swearing at each other. Only really watch dramas or repeats on the telly these days.

Here is an episode of still Game

Sisemen

#153 Post by Sisemen » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:00 pm

Upstart Crow?? :-bd

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#154 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 pm

I like Not Going Out though Mrs PN doesn't.

Capetonian

#155 Post by Capetonian » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:25 pm

I also like Not Going Out (the series and the act of not going out pushing and shoving with plebs).
Lee Mack is a great comedian/actor.

I'm hard pressed to think of anything else that I find amusing without going all the way back Fawlty Towers.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#156 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:27 pm

Agree with Cape, N G O is very funny. The one show that has me pishing myself is"Would I lie to you" especially when our tame kraut Henning Wehn is on the team. Out of 65,000,000 humourless Germans there had to be one brilliantly funny man and he is it.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#157 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:47 pm

The NGO I loved was the kitchen make over.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#158 Post by barkingmad » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:10 pm

Meanwhile, back to the O P.

A previous K&C posting stated;

“Back to the perennial anti-BBC diatribes, irrespective of the fact the organisation is one of the best public service broadcasters and provides a range of services considerably more extensive than any private sector broadcaster would even contemplate offering.”

This snippet quotes some statistics which we all suspected before we switched the Beeb off and went in search of other sources of information we might trust;

“Hello There!” again. :O3

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#159 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:07 pm

The disgraceful BBC strikes again and shows its anti-British bias. This afternoon's 2 o'clock news bulletin on Radio 2 didn't warrant a mention of the exciting state of the Test Match at Headingley. Instead, it spent a couple of minutes reporting on a lightning strike on a feckin tree at a golf match in the US of A and listeners were expected to understand the drawling comments of an eyewitness. X( WTF cares about a feckin tree in the US of A?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#160 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:06 pm

BM, consider yourself bollocked for that irrelevant quote.

That video was amazing, a talking head grafted on the a tailor's dummy 😁