TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The disgraceful BBC

#781 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:59 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:51 pm
TGG, not interested, but I would be interested in what others said
I would complain about the absence of comments and the ability to comment then, PN! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#782 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:35 pm

There's loads of chuntering on other forums about the saturation coverage of Prince Phillip's death.

Once we felt we had seen enough of the news coverage we changed over to Sky documentaries and watched plod chasing some villains. Does no-one else have that facility?

Mrs 4ma did watch the 41-gun salute - I received a minor scold when I said it was a pity they weren't using live rounds - I'm sure HRH PP would have approved.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#783 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:47 pm

4ma, indeed, though some no doubt object to any interference with their expected input of trash. Personally I just continued with my evening of binge watching. I am up to Series 9 of one series. I don't know how many there are but I miss Amanda Burton after she dropped out. Emilia Fox was good eye candy but no match for Burton.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#784 Post by om15 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:53 pm

I suspect this apology from the BBC was made through gritted teeth
The BBC press office has apologised for smearing James Dyson as a Tory who sleazily lobbied for tax advantages:

We accept that Sir James Dyson is not a prominent Conservative supporter as was stated in some of our coverage of his text messages with the Prime Minister. The James Dyson Foundation made a charitable gift to support the Wiltshire Engineering Festival for school children. We accept that this does not signal affiliation to any political party and we would like to put the record straight. Sir James also raised concerns about the accuracy of other aspects of our reporting. We wish to make clear that Sir James contacted Number 10 in response to the Prime Minister’s direct request to him for assistance in relation to the urgent need for ventilators and incurred costs of £20 million which his company voluntarily absorbed in trying to assist in the national emergency. His text messages to the Prime Minister were also later sent to officials. We are sorry that these facts were not always reflected in our coverage, and we apologise for not doing so.

In response, Sir James Dyson said

“The BBC now acknowledges that it was wrong and has issued an apology – which I accept. To justify its claim that I am a “prominent Conservative supporter” the BBC shamefully twisted our charitable gift to school children to suit their political narrative. The Prime Minister asked Dyson to help at a time of crisis, in the national interest, and we did just that. We dropped everything and focused on the national effort. Far from any gain, the project cost us £20 million – a sum we voluntarily bore. I am proud of the efforts of every Dyson person who contributed and we would do precisely the same again. It was deeply disappointing, for me and for the hundreds of Dyson people who gave it their all, to have our efforts developing an emergency ventilator mischaracterised and used for political mudslinging.”

https://order-order.com/

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#785 Post by Ibbie » Fri May 14, 2021 8:09 am

Two new reporters allowed loose yesterday on News at One. One had an instant turn off presentation style, the other thought Bolton was a seperate place to Greater Manchester, not that it is art of Greater Manchester.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#786 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 am

Ibbie, some of the afternoon quiz shows reveal the general knowledge of the GBP, weak on geography, maths, and many other subjects, excellent on most sports, pop music, and Celebs. Better are the same quiz shows with 'celebrity' tacked on. Many seem to revell in their ignorance, so far up their own egos as to be laughable.

I am watching 'Celebrity SAS' at the moment. It's old one but some characters really stand out. Katie Price was brilliant 'the worst that will happen to you, your false eyelashes will drop off' or Brendan Cole 'I am not making excuses I am just explaining' - STFU.

Or of another, my favourite, 'he has the breaking strain of a kitkat'.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#787 Post by Woody » Fri May 14, 2021 8:37 am

the other thought Bolton was a seperate place to Greater Manchester, not that it is part of Greater Manchester.
Try telling them that in Bolton :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#788 Post by tango15 » Fri May 14, 2021 8:44 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 am
Ibbie, some of the afternoon quiz shows reveal the general knowledge of the GBP, weak on geography, maths, and many other subjects, excellent on most sports, pop music, and Celebs. Better are the same quiz shows with 'celebrity' tacked on. Many seem to revell in their ignorance, so far up their own egos as to be laughable.

I am watching 'Celebrity SAS' at the moment. It's old one but some characters really stand out. Katie Price was brilliant 'the worst that will happen to you, your false eyelashes will drop off' or Brendan Cole 'I am not making excuses I am just explaining' - STFU.

Or of another, my favourite, 'he has the breaking strain of a kitkat'.
+1. If they still teach some form of geography in schools these days, I would be fascinated to know what form it takes. The number of people on quiz shows who say that they are very poor on geography, but equally say they will spend their winnings in a holiday, is a mystery to me. What's the point in going on holiday if you don't know where you're going?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#789 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 14, 2021 8:48 am

I believe that Geography teaching nowadays is more about physical characteristics rather than locational knowledge.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#790 Post by Wodrick » Fri May 14, 2021 9:31 am

Mornignall,
The variation on certain days over a few Km of coast amazes me.
I have 24˚ guess 27˚ Million mile viz, cloudless. Calm.

I'm quite sore ribs and shoulder but no bruise which feeling like this I expected.

Off for ingredients for chilli tonight.

SM is sore at the injection site, astonishingly no other complaints YET.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: #788

#791 Post by Rossian » Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 am

I was attending a computer course a few years ago. A young female had been absent for a couple of weeks, and when questioned said she had been away on holiday. Where to? I gently asked
Spain...... I think (doubtfully). Don't you know?
She's now a little bit flustered..
She had gone to the local travel agent who arranged for her to go to a local airport where she had been met by the tour rep who had seen her through the a/p to the gate. She got onto the aluminium tube and had flown for 4 hours-ish. Got off met by the tour rep who took her to a bus to the hotel. What laguage did they speak at the hotel? English but a bit difficult to understand. What kind of food did the have at the hotel? The usual, english b'fast, burgers and chips sort of thing. Sat by the pool every day, read magazines and had a few drinks. Time to come home did all of the above in reverse. And she genuinely had no idea where she had been.
I thought to myself - someone is going to breed from this woman, god help us. I gained all this info over 45 mins of (I promise you) gentle questioning and doing my best not to belittle her. I just felt sorry for her.

The Ancient Mariner

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#792 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am

Talking to Rossian's young ladies best friend. She said some friends had invited her to go with them the Helsinki, would it be warm there?

I bought my girls a globe. I bought them back dresses from a Hudson Bay Company store. I bought them books from Iceland, clothes from Norway etc etc. We despatched one at age 14 to France for 3 weeks. Unknown to us she travelled from Le Mans to Paris, thence Lyon, and stayed by Lake Ancey.

She now teaches French, German and Spanish. Both daughters are well travelled and in Europe by road and rail.

I bought the younger one a computer game, Where in the World is Carmen Santiago. A simple game but she soon learnt all the national flags in the World and Capitals. After we had been to Oslo, she was at school, we asked her what Oslo used to be called. She just looked scornfully at us and gave the correct answer as if to say, everyone knows that.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#793 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 14, 2021 11:18 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:48 am
I believe that Geography teaching nowadays is more about physical characteristics rather than locational knowledge.
in the 50s our GCE Geography involved knowing a huge amount of detail about Australia. We had to draw a map freehand, add lat and long grid, draw in rivers, railways (but not roads) towns and so on. It came in good stead years later. I still remember the Master's pneumonic for all the attributes :
Perhaps six sausages rendered down could possibly occupy the chip sauce pan😁

We also did Topography.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#794 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri May 14, 2021 3:46 pm

Awaiting the mnemonic's meaning...

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#795 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 14, 2021 4:42 pm

position, shape, size, relief, drainage, climate, population, occupation, t....., communication, s....., p......

I would be guessing t, p, s but it was a long time ago.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#796 Post by Ibbie » Sun May 16, 2021 9:26 am

I can now confirm, that without any doubt, Andrew Marr has completely lost the plot. Trying to dictate what Government policy should be. Lets have two Andrews in the Tower.

Breakfast and it's content ( so editors to blame) plus at least one of the presenters were not worthy of airtime today. Is their any other news than the Indian Variant?
Scarmongering by the BBC again....shirley not.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#797 Post by OFSO » Sun May 16, 2021 9:46 am

One might mention the reporting bias as to who is responsible for (a) starting and (b) continuing the current Arab Israeli conflict.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#798 Post by tango15 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:31 am

Ibbie wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:26 am
I can now confirm, that without any doubt, Andrew Marr has completely lost the plot. Trying to dictate what Government policy should be. Lets have two Andrews in the Tower.

Breakfast and it's content ( so editors to blame) plus at least one of the presenters were not worthy of airtime today. Is their any other news than the Indian Variant?
Scarmongering by the BBC again....shirley not.
I never watch the likes of Marr or Morgan, principally because the TV is relatively new and doesn't deserve to have a brick thrown at it. These people become obsessed with their own media image and lose track of the objective. Whatever happened to the style of Frost and Day? I fear that Neil will behave in much the same way when GB TV is eventually launched. The news anchors on al Jazeera do a much better job than the current batch of clowns on British TV. Some excellent reporting yesterday following the destruction of the building in which they had their Palestinian offices.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#799 Post by Woody » Sun May 16, 2021 5:20 pm

we asked her what Oslo used to be called. She just looked scornfully at us and gave the correct answer as if to say, everyone knows that
Possibly should be in the trivia thread, but Christiana, if I remember correctly and tomorrow is the Norwegian National Day 🇳🇴
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#800 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 16, 2021 6:32 pm

Correct.