Getting hot in the Gulf

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Getting hot in the Gulf

#221 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:21 pm

Bastard bitchcunt Philby sold us down the river in 1933 and gave the Kingdom to Saud and the Septics of SoCal. The following year ArAmCo was formed by them and Texaco, thus cutting Britain out of the whole thing and pretty much shafting the Hashemite kingdom; and consequently destroying any hope of any decency in the ruling of most of that landmass.

That was long before 1944. and even longer before the avaricious European Zionists were given the Palestinians' homeland which doomed the Hashemite Kingdom in Jordan to a perpetuity in Hades.

The only part of that peninsula which is in any way decent is the only bit which was not corrupted by the Septics, Oman. All else is ****.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#222 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:50 pm

I've worked in Oman. The bucket of sh!t became too heavy after only two months. I couldn't figure out how to get them to do anything, but I have been told that having a policeman wave a machine gun in their faces, on the Sultan's orders, does work. ;)))
I'm told it's nice to visit, though.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#223 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:24 pm

I worked and lived there, intermittently, over a period of nigh on half a century and my experience has been very different from yours.

I couldn't figure out how to get them to do anything

Can you understand why your problem was as circular as it was?

Understand them, and they will do anything for you.

I found them to be of enormous charm and good grace. The very exact opposite of the Murricane-type Saudi muppets.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#224 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Well, maybe it was just the bunch I was working for (Oman LNG). It wasn't just me; the outfit had operations suspended by the relevant Omani inspectorate not long after I left. The hardest working employees were either Jordanian or Egyptian, and I had one very pleasant Iraqi lady working for me. My experience of Jordan and its people appears to be similar to yours of Oman.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#225 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:36 pm

Good comparison: Jordan & Oman.

HM the Sultan is a delightful person of great charm, dignity, and general charisma and wisdom.

King Hussein was very similar. He was an honorary member of Edinburgh Flying Club, as our Chairman had been his personal pilot (and had quite certainly saved his life during an assassination attempt).

Hussein visited us every year. He parked his 727 on the RAF Turnhouse apron and first came over to the clubhouse, not the RAF Officers Mess, for a drink and a chat. We were located within RAF Turnhouse, so the Security wonks made themselves scarce and he was completely relaxed as he was among friends and knew it.

I remember him many times, who was quite short, sitting on a bar stool which was quite tall, his legs dangling, with his quite tall American wife alongside. He was at his happiest when blethering with ordinary flying club pilots about such things as carb heat and airframe icing and wonky ADFs and nasty wing-drops at the stall and "Scottish" weather and water in fuel and such. He was utterly charming.

I met HM Qaboos (please don't pronounce it "kaboose", I'll tell you why in another lecture if you don't speak Arabic) in far less informal surroundings, only once, but I found that same charm and direct person-to-person engagement and likability.

The Saud crowd: just arseholes.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#226 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:33 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting King Hussein when he did the IOT Royal Inspection at RAFC Cranwell one year. We were the junior course, and myself and a fellow engineering graduate were pulled aside, given 2 flights for a few days and all the pine poles we could eat, and told to "Build something impressive". We did a suspension bridge, and the King overran his schedule by a fair bit as he was very interested in it. We called each other Sir, and he was a perfect gentleman. I holidayed in Jordan because I had been so impressed, and his compatriots were equally lovely.

There was one pleasant Colonel in the RSAF who visited Coningsby, and quite a good pilot. As for the rest.....

p.s. Don't ever try to build a model of the Humber Bridge out of pine poles and rope. We just managed to fake that it worked without killing anybody. King Hussein asked if he could cross it, and which point we sadly discovered he was well behind schedule. Result: King of Jordan not dead. I should add that our brief did not include "..and that works" ;)))

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#227 Post by ian16th » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:46 pm

While I was on 214 Sqdn at Marham, I, a Cpl/Tech had to visit Vickers at Hurn and sign for a Valiant that Vickers had cabled up for Rebecca/Eureka MkX.

After testing and signing, the Vickers guys took great pride in showing me round a Viscount that was in for major work. It was King Hussein's personal a/c.

Still the most luxurious a/c I've been in.
Cynicism improves with age

Sisemen

#228 Post by Sisemen » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:32 am

I was booted out of my suite in College Hall to make way for Hussein’s son who was just starting IOT. Fair do’s I suppose as that suite had previously been Prince Charles’s.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#229 Post by prospector » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:48 am

Has anyone got any later information as to any personal injuries due to this attack?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49718975

It would seem most odd that no one in this massive complex was not injured during this attack

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#230 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:59 am

It seems that all of the weapons which made it to the target did so with extreme accuracy.

It was 02:00 local time, so very few maintenance or construction workers in the compound. Anyway, nobody would have been inside the bunds of those tanks. Hence, very very few, if any, human casualties. As F3 pointed, out the approach direction was almost entirely open desert, so en-route failures of missiles would simply fall on open unoccupied terrain such as the one which crashed in NorthWest Saudi.

The Houthis seem to have learned that attacking a civilian airport is not useful. Attacking vital infrastructure of the Kingdom's ability to make money is strategically useful and sends a strong message to the Western world that massacring thousands of innocent men women and children in Yemen and starving millions more can have a splashback on those who support such mass murder.

During the real Gulf war, Iraq and the US concentrated their efforts on trying to break Iran's ability to export oil to pay for the war effort and thus crush the Iranian people's will to resist foreign aggression. The Houthis are merely taking a leaf out of the US/Iraqi textbook and putting it into action.

The Yemenis showed a stubborn resistance to British rule and brutality and so eventually won that war. They are doing the same thing against those who attack Yemen in the 21st century.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#231 Post by prospector » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am

The weapons used were certainly very accurate, in image two of the BBC article above, all the oil storage tanks were pierced in exactly the same position, almost so accurate to make one think the explosive were placed rather than delivered from many miles away.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#232 Post by prospector » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:39 am

It would appear that President Trump, and hopefully the new Sec of Defense are showing a much greater reluctance to start throwing munitions and young peoples lives about then Johnson and McNamara did as a result of the Tonkin Gulf very doubtful incident.
https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-hi ... out-tonkin

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#233 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:37 am

Yes.

It was LBJ, a Democrat, who went all out in The American war in Vietnam.

It was Jimmy Carter, a Democrat, who threw $5Bn into his project to overthrow the secular liberal government of Afghanistan and replace it with a bunch of religious nutters.

I'm pretty sure that Madam Rodham would have been bombing Iran, on some pretext or another, by now.

The major danger with Chump is his flakiness. He says one thing one day and the opposite the next. His mind has a very feeble and loose grasp of reality. He's much more likely to do something irrational and crazy than any of his predecessors.

Shrub was of extremely low intelligence and was spectacularly illiterate. He ended up starting an insanely illegal war against Iraq which cost the lives of hundreds of thousands of lives and destroyed the country as a viable entity forever. His cabinet was dominated by Halliburton.

Ronnie Raygun was severely mentally impaired and his cabinet was totally dominated by Bechtel. He was easily manipulated into stupid wars.

Chump has some dangerous adult supervision. Pompeo is still in power and Pence is a Christian Zionist nutter who craves the end of the world so that his Saviour can step down from Heaven. The Yehudis are armed to the teeth with nukes and every imaginable weapon and they have two nutters vying for votes as to who is the more aggressive and avaricious Zionist.

These are very dangerous times. Probably slightly more dangerous than when JFK, another Democrat, was threatening to set the world on fire in revenge for his Bay of Pigs failure.

Slasher

#234 Post by Slasher » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:27 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:36 pm
The Saud crowd: just arseholes.
Although I’ve never worked in Sandy Arabia I didn’t find ‘em that bad of raghead. But they are totally useless lazy bastards esp in any government departmental way. What takes a week in the Gulf takes these dicks 6 months. I sh!t you not.

The award for sheer arseholery goes to the Kuwaitis. Worst breed of bloody sand nigga on the planet. Loathe ‘em. Given the chance they’ll fuque one up the kyber like a poofter chook. Hope they get invaded again but this time no one does a thing about it. Nothing but a bunch of complete ****q.

Slasher

#235 Post by Slasher » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:17 am

Plum might agree with this:

Of course sand nigga anti-semitism has its roots in the Battle of Medina and later that of Makkah.

Sisemen

#236 Post by Sisemen » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:08 am

Undried Plum - any US President ever met your personal strict criteria?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#237 Post by BenThere » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:21 pm

Ronnie Raygun was severely mentally impaired and his cabinet was totally dominated by Bechtel. He was easily manipulated into stupid wars.
Impaired? So how did he manage to be elected and then go about invigorating the US economy and win the Cold War (with the indispensable help of Maggie)? Maybe our electorate should consider recruiting and placing into power more 'severely mentally impaired' to straighten things out in the world.

By the way, what particular wars was President Reagan manipulated into?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#238 Post by Boac » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:48 pm

Ben wrote:Impaired? So how did he manage to be elected
- not sure how to put this to you, Ben...........

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#239 Post by Boac » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:06 pm

There surely cannot be anything more than yet another rabid spouting from the Chump in the supposed 'threat' to Iran of the use of his tippy-toppy nuclear weapons (as interpreted by his acolytes)? What would justify such, assuming that Iran does not start chucking sunshine around? Are US conventional forces so weak that this would be the only option?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#240 Post by BenThere » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Were we watching the same press encounter in conjunction with the Australian PM wherein President Trump engaged with reporters regarding Iran? I saw nothing 'rabid' about it. Indeed, he went on about how the US military since he took office has been rejuvenated with new equipment, readiness spending, enhancement of the troop experience, etc. The tippy-toppy comment you refer to was not rabid, but an assertion of readiness.

As for the unleashing of nuclear weapons, is it no consolation to you that the US has not resorted to its nuclear arsenal since WWII, a time when we were engaged in total war and the power of nuclear weapons was not understood more than just being a bigger, better bomb? We don't 'chuck around' our nuclear weapons. But if Iran does who knows what will happen? One certain consequence should the conflict escalate is that Iran will regret it. I think that was the message President Trump was trying to deliver

US conventional forces are in good shape as well. Several F-35 squadrons have been stood up and there's a lot of high-tech development going on at DOD (I only have insight to USAF developments, but am confident army, navy, and marine forces have been upgraded apace. I recall the opening night of Gulf War I. The world was astonished at the ability of a cruise missile to turn a corner and plow through a targeted building's window. Few people knew of that capability. I can't wait to see the new surprise at what's in store should the gloves come off on this one.

Don't bet on Iran should it come to blows, Boac.