EU Fun and Games

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: EU Fun and Games

#161 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:56 pm

Was it that master mangler of the English language John "Knuckles" Prescott?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#162 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Still, we expect video/photos UP. ^:)^ :-bd
Please set up camera on timer before you get too far into your celebration. :YMPARTY:

PP

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#163 Post by barkingmad » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:14 pm

U P, do you have a suitable hunting rifle in yer “armoury”? Could it go ‘missing’ for a while and is there any soft-nosed ammo to accompany said weapon?

Then on whom would the O-N members be happy to take the shot should they wish to go out in a blaze of glory, unwilling to exist in the Stasi-ridden UK for feck knows how long?

Multiple sheets of A4 are available for your preferences, on which you may express the reasons as to your choice of target! :-?

Thread drift acknowledged, closure for Christmas Quiz Q 1 will be sometime tomorrow if no one wishes to bid in the case FOR the EUSSR.

P S. This just in from the Emerald Isle where there’s a welcome awaiting you;

https://www.politico.eu/article/ireland ... as-dinner/

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by ian16th » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:03 pm

Quiz Q1: Winston Spencer Churchill.
Cynicism improves with age

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by barkingmad » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:07 pm

ian16th wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:03 pm
Quiz Q1: Winston Spencer Churchill.
Will reveal the answer tomorrow, Xmas Eve and add another to the list of Qs.

Unable cut ‘n paste the Qs & As from hard copy book and it’s late... i-)

I note no volunteers to take the shot if it were offered?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by llondel » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:01 am

Q1 was probably John Major.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#167 Post by llondel » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:06 am

llondel wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:01 am
Q1 was probably John Major.
OK, having guessed, I went and looked it up. It pre-dates Major. It even pre-dates his birth.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#168 Post by barkingmad » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:13 am

Christmas Quiz question # 1. The answer is from a report submitted by Hans Frohwein in June 1943 to the Nazi Foreign Ministry's 'Europe Committee', entitled 'Basic Elements of a Plan for a New Europe.

Christmas Quiz question # 2. The answer is Alberto De Stefani, Mussolini's first finance minister. De Stefani was dismissed two years after his appointment but remained a full member of the Grand Council of Fascism until the regime's collapse. This statement is dated in 1941.

Christmas Quiz question # 3. The question is, who said?: "A new Europe, that is the point and that is the task before us. It does not mean that Italians and Germans and all other nations of the European family are to change their spots and become unrecognizable to themselves or to one another from one day or one year to the next. It will be a new Europe because of the new inspiration and determining principle that will spring up among all these peoples... The problem of the hierarchy of states will no longer arise. At least in it's usual form, once we have cut off the dragon's head; that is, the notion of state sovereignty. Moreover this does not have to be done outright, but can be achieved indirectly, e.g. by creating interstate European bodies to look after certain common interests (exchange rates, communications, foreign trade etc).

Gawd, as I read this I yearn for the great loss we in Blighty have inflicted on ourselves. Where's that Soubry woman so's I can volunteer to help us to rejoin the bloc asap... :-w :-?

And now other nations are threatening the integrity of the EUSSR with language and delivery which mirrors that of the dastardly Farage and his quislings;

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#169 Post by barkingmad » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:38 pm

Oooops ! ! Things are not going too swimmingly in the final stretch of this Grand National spatfest.

The Oirish have suddenly woken up and realised their miserable quota of fish from ‘their’ EU waters will be hoovered up by Les Frogs and are starting to whinge.

Meanwhile we wait with baited breath to view in detail how badly BoJo has sold the UK down the river, or the English Channel, possibly finally sealing the fate of the ‘Red Wall’ Tory MPs who may as well start updating their CVs in anticipation.

P S. Has anyone here ever spotted a guvvment minister “in a frenzy”? Usual format for answers please... :-w

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#170 Post by barkingmad » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:46 am

Midst the noise and the flag-waving of the Brexit ‘deal’, as all eyes were on Frost, Barmyer, UVDL and BoJo, the sound of the ever loosening wheel nuts was drowned out and still goes un-noticed.

There was always a rumour that when the Euro was launched, all the EUro countries destroyed their own currencies and joyously embraced the new currency.

But there was alleged to be one notable exception and that was Germany, whom many asserted had collected all the DM notes and carefully stored them, presumably in rodent-proof conditions in case they were ever needed again.

Varoufakis has been in at the heart of negotiations with the scheming devious bastards at the top echelons of the EUrobloc and seems to know his stuff, a reading of his “Adults in The Room” book should have been compulsory study for ALL of the British Brexit negotiating team in order to warn them of the Devil with whom they were dealing, but alas...

This video is only hours old and may be a portent of things to come;

And if the Brexit farce wasn’t enough of a distraction, the universal mishandling of the plague precautions has certainly acted as a prime attention-getter away from the structural problems of this unwieldy vessel. [-X

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:04 am

Can't you let the EU go now and perhaps focus on how we are going to shape up or not? This Euro displacement activity will not wash anymore!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#172 Post by barkingmad » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:51 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:04 am
Can't you let the EU go now and perhaps focus on how we are going to shape up or not? "This Euro displacement activity will not wash anymore!
Thanks to the landmines buried in the 'deal' text, which will probably be missed by 'guvvment' legal beagles, we won't shape up very well at all.

It appears that the ERG will be taking a finer and more precise tooth comb to the agreement and we should hear some noise from them later this week during the pitifully short time allocated for "debate' on a critical treaty which will cause trouble for a very long time, including the various 'groups' being set up (at whose expense?) to continue negotiating until we all lose the will to live!

I do not understand what you mean by "This Euro displacement activity will not wash anymore!"?

EU Fun & Games will continue despite the half-cocked departure of the UK, the nearest thing to a political 'coitus-interruptus' that we will witness and in which we will participate for the rest of my life.

And I believed I did post the video and comments in the correct thread, but doubtless you will correct me and divert my contribution to the correct file/folder? :)) =))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#173 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:56 am

barkingmad wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:51 am
And I believed I did post the video and comments in the correct thread, but doubtless you will correct me and divert my contribution to the correct file/folder? :)) =))
You did but, you know, I bet you will be posting about the "dreadful" EU and how it is still the cause of all our woes in five years time. Would you care to take a bet? =))

Our woes could never, perhaps, be our own fault!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#174 Post by barkingmad » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:01 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:56 am
barkingmad wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:51 am
You did but, you know, I bet you will be posting about the "dreadful" EU and how it is still the cause of all our woes in five years time. Would you care to take a bet? =))

Our woes could never, perhaps, be our own fault!
Nah, five years is too long. If this is the future then I will have checked out early because it just ain't worth the candle!

News which might be a relief to some here, but DILLIGAF?

But I still want to run the full series in the EU Christmas Quiz, no takers so far for Q 3?

" it is still the cause of all our woes"... Did I really say that? Chapter and verse please, toilet roll will suffice!

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary".

H.L. Mencken

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:16 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:01 pm

Nah, five years is too long. If this is the future then I will have checked out early because it just ain't worth the candle!

News which might be a relief to some here, but DILLIGAF?

But I still want to run the full series in the EU Christmas Quiz, no takers so far for Q 3?

" it is still the cause of all our woes"... Did I really say that? Chapter and verse please, toilet roll will suffice!

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary".

H.L. Mencken
Oh for goodness sake man, you will only 76! :p

No, but you imply it... all this British self pity and victimhood is so tedious at times.

As for the rest I am a huge fan of H. L. Mencken's realpolitik and his pithy utterances.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#176 Post by Boac » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:23 pm

Spoken as a true hobgoblin :))

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#177 Post by llondel » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:40 pm

The way Parliament should approach the deal is to agree to it for one year, with full ratification to be voted upon no earlier than September. That way if there are any dodgy bits, hopefully they can be brought to light and tested before they become fully binding. The EU probably should take the same approach too, treat it as an interim until it's proven to work.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#178 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:52 pm

llondel wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:40 pm
The way Parliament should approach the deal is to agree to it for one year, with full ratification to be voted upon no earlier than September. That way if there are any dodgy bits, hopefully they can be brought to light and tested before they become fully binding. The EU probably should take the same approach too, treat it as an interim until it's proven to work.
A sensible approach llondel but, I suspect that both parties will now never ever admit that it is, was and will forever be, a very silly idea... (save for many of the Leibnizian denizens here in the UK, some who grace this fine site, whose exuberant, some might say deluded, "the best of all words", views should trouble any sane man (or woman) very deeply indeed!

Blind optimism, national exceptionalism uber alles, after all! :-?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#179 Post by barkingmad » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:00 am

Ooops! Didn’t Angular Meerkat and Macroon see this coming down the tracks towards them or was Barmyer not talking to them?

Mind you, EUrope always was compared to the Tower of Babel in past times, until it was deemed impolite so to do, in case they were upset or offended;

Apparently some observers of this Christmas’ great gift to all EUropeans, having read the 1,200+ pages of the treaty, believe that the UK can turn around and say “this is crap, we going to tear it up”?

So more work in progress for the ECJ lawyers and our own will keep them in fees for a few years... :ymsick:

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#180 Post by barkingmad » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:23 pm

European Union, doesn’t it sound really fab and good and bright future, like, you know, and so on ad nauseam?

At the opposite end of the bloc, not only are they (Hungary) revolting against the budget but also importing, with intention to use, a Vac Scene which has not yet been approved by the other 26, now that the Perfidious Anglais have buggered off!? (Well, not quite yet, but you get my drift?)

So whilst pet animals are subjected to extra bureaucracy ‘twixt Gt Britain and NornIron, a part of the UK, there will likely arise a black market within the EUropean Onion for an unapproved Vac Scene.

Can anyone else here detect the sound of loose wheel nuts? :O3