Chaos in USA

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in USA

#781 Post by boing » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:59 pm

I was baiting my wife and daughter this morning at breakfast. They are both rather unthinkingly liberal, hearts in the right place but brains have not quite caught up yet.

Wife asks daughter to pass "one of the white plates" from the cupboard, I object that this is racist since we can't have a "white plate" as this could be understood to mean a "white person's plate". My wife says this is stupid because we do not have any "black plates" to which I replied that this was even more racist since if we have "white plates" we should also be inclusive and have "black plates" but then I opined that if we did have "white plates" and "black plates" this would be divisive since it would infer division by colour. Dumb I know but it fun to force people to think things through some times.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#782 Post by Boac » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:01 pm

That's a cracker! Did you win?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#783 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:06 pm

I see a trip to the store for new dinnerware in your future.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#784 Post by Boac » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:10 pm

Some sort of checkered pattern? - 'Chessboard' by Rosenthal.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#785 Post by prospector » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:13 am

" Residents are fearful to go out after dark. The police are afraid to patrol, and violent crime, murder and looting are rampant, while businesses are collapsing. And war has already been declared on our values and culture."

Now what city in which country is this article referring too??

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/494087-new-yor ... aign=Email ~X( ~X(

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#786 Post by llondel » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:03 am

prospector wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:18 pm
Why are black people referred to as African Americans? have they ever been to Africa? if they had would they have stayed there? why are they not just called Americans, or perhaps just black Americans?
You also get Irish Americans and a few others too, even if they've never been near their ancestral homelands. I do wonder if it's a list of groups who've suffered discrimination, but I don't have a complete list to be able to figure that out.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#787 Post by boing » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:11 am

I think this is worth quoting in full (Wikipaedia)
Nativism and hyphenated Americanism, 1890-1920

The term "hyphenated American" was published by 1889,[4] and was common as a derogatory term by 1904. During World War I the issue arose of the primary political loyalty of ethnic groups with close ties to Europe, especially German Americans and also Irish Americans. Former President Theodore Roosevelt in speaking to the largely Irish Catholic Knights of Columbus at Carnegie Hall on Columbus Day 1915, asserted that,[5]

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all ... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic ... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Woodrow Wilson regarded "hyphenated Americans" with suspicion, saying, "Any man who carries a hyphen about with him carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic whenever he gets ready."[6][7][8]
the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#788 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:21 am

Very interesting.

PP

prospector
Capt
Capt

#789 Post by prospector » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:27 am

A very wise statement from President Theodore Roosevelt, In today's weird world the use of the word man would have to be amended to "person", or there would be far to many people "Offended"

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#790 Post by FD2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 am

'Outraged' even! ~X(

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#791 Post by FD2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:04 am

Up to 15% in Bolton's book. Far from the warmonger that a lot of Democrats paint Trump as, Bolton is suggesting that Trump's desire to do 'deals', rather than use diplomacy, has kept him away from confrontation, apart maybe from the Iranian general. I think he's happy to use Israel to control Iran's ambitions in Syria and Lebanon.

Kim Jong Un played him well at the Singapore meeting and through flattery and awkward questioning gained several concessions from Trump, including the cessation of US/South Korean war games. There are hints of vindictiveness and a thin skin appearing now, as a self affirmation and reassurance of his reasons for sacking certain people like Tillerson. Also as a reaction to criticism.

The correction of the trade imbalance with China is a long way ahead still, as is the 'Chinese Flu'...and the US/Mexico wall has still to be mentioned.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#792 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:33 am

As ever chaos in the USA, inspires incendiary events elsewhere in the world...
A wooden sculpture of first lady Melania Trump near her home town of Sevnica, Slovenia, has been removed after being set on fire during the US independence day weekend, according to the artist who commissioned the sculpture.

Brad Downey, a Berlin-based American artist, said he had the life-size sculpture – now blackened and disfigured – removed as soon as police informed him on 5 July, a year after it was unveiled.

“I want to know why they did it,” said Downey, who had hoped the statue would foster a dialogue about the political situation in the United States, highlighting Melania Trump’s status as an immigrant married to a president sworn to reduce immigration.

In Washington, the office of Melania Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In recent weeks, President Donald Trump has pledged to take a hard line on anyone destroying or vandalising US historical monuments, as political activism against racial injustice has swept across the country.
Burned sculpture...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#793 Post by Nick Riviera » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:16 am

Looking at the state of the original sculpture, I don't think she'll be too bothered. I assumed, wrongly, that that was how it looked AFTER it was burned.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#794 Post by Woody » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:51 am

It’s almost as wooden as she is when appearing with the Donald :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#795 Post by FD2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:41 pm

I hear from Chump's speach that America was responsible for inventing the internet and splitting the atom. Maybe Berners-Lee and Rutherford might disagree. Thick rednecks wouldn't know the truth if it bit their 'asses'.

I believe also that the rather high rate of new cases, 65,000 in a day, is solely because more testing is being done. :YMAPPLAUSE:

Has the President's brain gone missing? How can anyone defend this oaf? The system has so far produced another two appalling choices for President.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#796 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:01 am

USA Medical profits rule - OK ? ( an extra $29,000 for every patient put on a "tube" even if they don't need it ? hydroxychloroquine declared ineffective 'cos that would mean missing out on a few 29k's ? - it says ) Quote ... It's murder. It's setting these people up for failure — based on money.

Read at your discretion

Undercover Nurse Exposes COVID-19 NY Hospital Nightmare <https://everlast.mercola.com/r/?id=h365 ... =911937038>

This epicenter nurse has a story to tell - and it's enough to make your skin crawl. Why was the death rate so high in this New York City hospital, especially among younger people and people of color? Any why was hydroxychloroquine banned when it saved lives? Not for the faint of heart.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#797 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:25 am

Shiver me timbers!

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#798 Post by FD2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:31 am

After all, what are friends for?

Roger has his sentence commuted:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/ ... n-sentence

Likewise good old Rod:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Blagojevich

Both 'victims' of anti-Trump lies and hysteria I suppose...

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#799 Post by Nick Riviera » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:33 am

FD2 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:41 pm
I hear from Chump's speach that America was responsible for inventing the internet and splitting the atom. Maybe Berners-Lee and Rutherford might disagree. Thick rednecks wouldn't know the truth if it bit their 'asses'.
Well most people would agree that the internet was invented in America, albeit with research and assistance from other countries. Tim Berners-Lee was responsible for the World Wide Web, which is not the same as the internet. But don't let that truth bite you on the arse.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#800 Post by FD2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:28 am

So nothing that Berners-Lee did had anything to do with the 'invention' of the internet and the idea behind it? If not then I stand corrected and will put a plaster on my arse.

You'll tell me that Rutherford wasn't the first to 'split the atom' next, but that's probably something else which will bite me on the arse.

The important point is that Trump just makes stuff up as he goes along, but his lies don't seem to be important to 'most people' do they? They just believe the *****, a bit like cult followers.

Americans stoutly defend their political system and show a lot more loyalty to it than most British do to theirs, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved does it? Allowing convicted people to leave jail is not, in my view, something which any system should allow unless it has been approved through a proper system of appeals.