A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

Re: Chaos in USA

#801 Post by Nick Riviera » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:49 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:28 am
So nothing that Berners-Lee did had anything to do with the 'invention' of the internet and the idea behind it? If not then I stand corrected and will put a plaster on my arse.
Correct. As I already pointed out, the World Wide Web is not the same as the internet. Better get that plaster out.
FD2 wrote:
You'll tell me that Rutherford wasn't the first to 'split the atom' next, but that's probably something else which will bite me on the arse.
Wrong again. I am not going to tell you anything of the sort.
FD2 wrote:
The important point is that Trump just makes stuff up as he goes along, but his lies don't seem to be important to 'most people' do they? They just believe the *****, a bit like cult followers.
I don't disagree and there are plenty of examples you could have quoted. However, some of what you quoted happens to be true.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#802 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Nick Riviera wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:33 am

Well most people would agree that the internet was invented in America, albeit with research and assistance from other countries. Tim Berners-Lee was responsible for the World Wide Web, which is not the same as the internet. But don't let that truth bite you on the arse.
While it was the US Defence Department (DARPA) Arpanet that became the direct progenitor of the internet, we must tip our hats to Englishman Donald Davies who while working on the NPL Data Communications Network idea, developed the concept of packet switching, a means by which messages can travel from point to point across a network, other countries such as France and the USA were working on the same concept but it was the UK version that Arpanet decided to adopt.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#803 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:32 pm

FD2 wrote:Has the President's brain gone missing? How can anyone defend this oaf?
The sad thing is that he is desperately trying to blame something/someone else/anything for his poor performance,.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#804 Post by BenThere » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:01 pm

The American electorate will be the arbiters of President Trump's performance in November. There's a long way to go between now and then. I tend to think that once candidate Biden is forced to stand at the podium facing President Trump, his standing will wither as I think he will be woefully exposed as not being all there in the upstairs of his mind. My take is that Americans will realize that putting him in office with a leftist female person of color with little or no executive qualification, with the expectation candidate Biden won't finish his term, is like raising a pistol to your temple and pulling the trigger.

President Trump has been maligned incessantly since he took office. His critics, primarily the overwhelming majority of the press, blame him in total for all the daunting problems facing us. Anything more than superficial analysis reveals that he was handling things quite well before Covid-19, and has taken some very positive action to counter its effect on general health and the devastation of the economy. Who do you suggest might have done a better job, and how do you come to that conclusion?

Further, Antifa and Black Lives Matter are increasingly raising the ire of Americans who want safety, rule of law, prosperity, and control over the wanton violence and property destruction going on today. That all works in President Trump's favor I believe, at least in the circles I am able to observe.

Once the election is over and the votes are counted I expect there will be hell to pay whichever way it goes. I can see a remote possibility that it could lead ultimately to the dissolution of the USA, Red and Blue nations; and that might not be all bad.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#805 Post by llondel » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Interesting that Ann Coulter, of all people, is backing Amy McGrath over Moscow Mitch. Or is this some kind of reverse-psychology thing where she's hoping to get people to vote for Mitch simply because she's supporting his opponent?

https://www.newsweek.com/ann-coulter-ba ... ll-1517112

fin
Capt
Capt

#806 Post by fin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:15 pm

If further evidence were needed that things in the US have become insane...the mayor of nyc proudly defaces public property with racist graffiti (at taxpayer expense) and then charges someone else with a "hate crime" for posting nearly identical words.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#807 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:37 pm

FD2 wrote:
So nothing that Berners-Lee did had anything to do with the 'invention' of the internet and the idea behind it?
The problem is in the definition. In my experience IT has evolved over the years and as such there has always been something that went before. Could Arpanet or Compuserve be classified as forerunners of the Internet for instance.

In my opinion what started the "internet" as such was the development of the TCP/IP winsock by a group of guys from Wollongong Uni. This is what allowed PC's to communicate with one another over a network. Once that happened it just took off. I met up with the guys at the 1980 DECUS conference in Sydney where we had a round table discussion on IBM's SNA and Digital's DDCMP protocols. It was the very early days of TCP/IP.

We had a variety of forums on Compuserve. The format would be recognizable to most here.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#808 Post by FD2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:24 pm

'Nick' - Wrong again. I am not going to tell you anything of the sort. It was supposed to be tongue in cheek but don't let me stop your grandstanding and minor triumph. I think you've made your point now.

Ben - I think Trump has a tiger by the tail now with the howling denunciations, BLM followers, political opposition and find it sad that ordinary citizens have to arm themselves to feel safe. (I suspect that's mainly press hype). I don't know if he has 'drained the swamp' but I have forgotten what the swamp was. In my naivety I thought it was the gross disparity between wealth across the citizenry. I agree about Biden and suspect he'll be in a care home before the four years is up, but I also think that Trump is getting towards that point. As you say though, the American people will judge on that later this year - but are you worried about internal stability if Trump loses?

He has tried, I don't know with what success, to curb immigration, is in the process of sorting out the iniquitous trade relationship that the US got itself into with China - I hope the rest of the world can do the same without being bullied into submission. The US should, I hope, be a protector of the countries around the South China Sea who have been affected by Chinese expansionism and further into the Pacific likewise. He has fired a warning shot across the bows of Iran. But just the once and not over-reacted to their bluster. I don't think he has handled North Korea well but time will tell.

The rest of the world is concerned because he is the leader of the free world until China assumes that role some time in the future, which worries me more.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#809 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:30 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:37 pm
FD2 wrote:
So nothing that Berners-Lee did had anything to do with the 'invention' of the internet and the idea behind it?
The problem is in the definition. In my experience IT has evolved over the years and as such there has always been something that went before. Could Arpanet or Compuserve be classified as forerunners of the Internet for instance.

In my opinion what started the "internet" as such was the development of the TCP/IP winsock by a group of guys from Wollongong Uni. This is what allowed PC's to communicate with one another over a network. Once that happened it just took off. I met up with the guys at the 1980 DECUS conference in Sydney where we had a round table discussion on IBM's SNA and Digital's DDCMP protocols. It was the very early days of TCP/IP.

We had a variety of forums on Compuserve. The format would be recognizable to most here.
Don't be so **** rational and reasonable... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#810 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:12 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#811 Post by Nick Riviera » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:08 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:24 pm
'Nick' - Wrong again. I am not going to tell you anything of the sort. It was supposed to be tongue in cheek but don't let me stop your grandstanding and minor triumph. I think you've made your point now.
No grandstanding at all and no feeling of triumph. You must be one of those people who hate it when they are told they are wrong about something. Even more embarrassing when you are attempting to make a point about how ignorant some people are.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#812 Post by FD2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:25 pm

No - you're wrong 'Nick' - as I said previously I stand corrected. The manner of your 'correction' was triumphal to say the least and arrogant in manner.

I'm not an expert on the internet and find the subject boring, so don't pay much attention to it and made a mistake of mixing the WWW with the internet. Clearly you are an expert on these things and I bow to your superior knowledge. Take a pretend kiss on your arse to say sorry.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#813 Post by FD2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:28 pm

Oh - and you should study Trump a bit to see how ignorant he actually is on some matters.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#814 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:53 pm

The rest of the world is concerned because he is the leader of the free world until China assumes that role some time in the future, which worries me more.
And say goodbye to "cheaper" Chinese products when that happens.

Trump will doubtless be inaugurated as the President next January, despite whatever the "will" of the "people" is, as per January 2017, when Hillary was kicked into touch.

Bring back FDR. ( or his clone )

prospector
Capt
Capt

#815 Post by prospector » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:44 am

Funniest clip seen in last day, one black man saying to another, whilst observing a BLM protest.

" They have even stolen our protest" Not a black person in sight, all snotty nosed young indoctrinated white kids.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#816 Post by barkingmad » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:17 am

Here’s another failed sales pitch for the radical B L M movement;

https://www.dw.com/en/san-gabriel-missi ... a-54142510

It would appear the increased security wasn’t adequate protection so presumably awkward questions will be asked?

Actions of this sort equate to the savagery of the Da’esh nutters and should be punished appropriately. I have just the solution...

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#817 Post by FD2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:30 am

How to win friends and influence people...

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#818 Post by BenThere » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:00 pm

TheGreenGoblin,

Thank for stirring memories of my old Harley days, cruising on my Electra Glide Ultra through the High Sierras and Nevada. On those open roads I always thought of Easy Rider and the cross county cruise with Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson and Peter Fonda - American classic, although the peanut tanks on their choppers only gave them about 100 miles of range, inadequate for the wide open West. My Ultra had a 5 gallon tank that would carry me 200 miles between fuel stops. I tended to putt along at about 50 MPH rather than cruise at highway speed, taking in the fresh air, blue skies, and a sense of that Easy Rider vibe. Those were the best of days.

My typical trip would involve camping with my then girlfriend at hot spring spas in the middle of nowhere, from my hot spring guidebook, for a day or two, no proprietors, just a dirt road ending at the grotto, setting up camp, then stopping into nearby towns like Wells, or better yet Battle Mountain, Nevada, checking into a modest motel for a hot shower, sleep on a real bed, then spending an evening at a brothel/bar where the scene was often interesting and lively, a little risqué, which seemed to stimulate my girlfriend. The clientele was mostly local miners and ranchers and the passers through, like me. It takes one back to a place that hasn't changed much since the old West. The landscape is also sprinkled with ghost towns that emptied when the silver rush played out in Nevada decades ago. Nevada is a treasure if you like that sort of thing.

Thanks for bringing all that back to me, Green.

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

#819 Post by Nick Riviera » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:02 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:25 pm
No - you're wrong 'Nick' - as I said previously I stand corrected. The manner of your 'correction' was triumphal to say the least and arrogant in manner.

I'm not an expert on the internet and find the subject boring, so don't pay much attention to it and made a mistake of mixing the WWW with the internet. Clearly you are an expert on these things and I bow to your superior knowledge. Take a pretend kiss on your arse to say sorry.
Luckily for you I have managed to round up your toys. Now you can put them back in your pram.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#820 Post by FD2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:15 pm

'Nick' - Are you going to continue boring people with your sniping or actually contribute something of real interest to this thread'?

You can pat yourself on the back and say "Yeh! Put him in his place didn't I? Fool didn't know the difference between the world wide web and the internet!" :YMAPPLAUSE:

Let's have something relevant and of interest to the contributors from you instead please. 8-|

I'm so sorry I managed to get under your skin to such an extent. Just calm down old chap. It's just an internet chat site and no threat to your masculinity. People sometimes make mistakes. :-bd

No more replies coming from me to feed your ego, so you can have the last word now and I'll just keep repeating 'Berners-Lee didn't invent the internet, America did' when I go to bed. ;)))