Chaos in USA

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in USA

#2141 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:30 am

GOP Sen. Johnson delays Covid relief bill by forcing all 628 pages to be read out loud

If he wants it read, he should read it himself. Straight through. No breaks.

PP

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#2142 Post by Dushan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:40 am

Are you suggesting that a vote should take place before people know what they are voting for?
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2143 Post by boing » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:45 am

The really interesting stuff is in the fine print notes to the appendices.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2144 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:58 am

My reply to Dushan disappeared. ~X(
Here goes again.

All of the Senators and their staffers can read. Let them read it.
From what I have heard, practically no Senators are on the floor for this.

This guy Johnson seems to be a clown. :o) I would really be embarrassed if he represented my state. [-X #-o

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2145 Post by llondel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:57 am

Dushan wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:40 am
Are you suggesting that a vote should take place before people know what they are voting for?
The text has been published and available for some time, they could have taken the trouble to read it. Unlike a bill I remember from a few years ago where all that was available was a marked-up copy and people definitely did not know what was in it. Didn't stop the GQP from voting for it though.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2146 Post by llondel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:02 am

They should restore the filibuster to its previous state, where the requirement was based on a vote of those present on the floor of the chamber and the speakers had to keep talking. That way they'd have to exert some effort to delay or stop what they believed was wrong, whereas now they don't even have to turn up. If the minority believes in something strongly enough then they should put in the effort to defeat it, rather than the blatant obstructionism we're going to see over the next few months.

Another option is to reverse it and instead of saying it takes 60 votes to defeat the filibuster, make it require 40 votes to continue it.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2147 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:55 pm

Today is March 5th.
Did I miss the inauguration yesterday? :-? :-?? :ymdevil:

PP

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#2148 Post by Dushan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:27 pm

llondel wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:57 am
Dushan wrote:
The text has been published and available for some time, they could have taken the trouble to read it. Unlike a bill I remember from a few years ago where all that was available was a marked-up copy and people definitely did not know what was in it. Didn't stop the GQP from voting for it though.
That was Obamacare that was another sham. Pelosi famously stated "you have to vote for it in order to find out what is in it".
Clowns!
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#2149 Post by Dushan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:29 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:58 am
My reply to Dushan disappeared. ~X(
Here goes again.

All of the Senators and their staffers can read. Let them read it.
From what I have heard, practically no Senators are on the floor for this.

This guy Johnson seems to be a clown. :o) I would really be embarrassed if he represented my state. [-X #-o

PP
It wouldn’t be the first time where previously published language was changed in the last minute prior to vote. The problem is not with requiring TD or it to be read. The problem is that it is 600 pages. No bill should be more than a page or two.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2150 Post by llondel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:44 pm

Dushan wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:27 pm
llondel wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:57 am
Dushan wrote:
That was Obamacare that was another sham. Pelosi famously stated "you have to vote for it in order to find out what is in it".
Clowns!
I was thinking about the 2017 tax bill, although yes, the Obamacare one had a similar express steamroller, which was before my time in the US.

It seems that bipartisanship only means anything to the minority party, and has done for quite a few years.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2151 Post by llondel » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:13 pm

The danger of knocking off too soon. Seems that at the end of the mammoth bill reading, the sole Republican in the chamber (who had to be there to challenge any proposal to stop reading) got up and left. Once he was out of the chamber, one of the Democrats present proposed that the debate time should be reduced from 20 hours to 3 hours, and hearing no objection, the presiding senator passed it.

The Senate appears to have finally passed the bill, 50-49, so someone must have fallen asleep.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2152 Post by boing » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:47 pm

Thanks Joe. This is what happens when you engage the gears without engaging the brains.
'Almost useless' COVID-19 tests on migrants dropped in Texas town find 25% infected

'They're going to get on the bus or the airplane' next day
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... 5199691504

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2153 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:11 pm

'ang about - didn't Texas say all this COVID stuff is bull? In which case, why not drop off the infected folk there since it won't matter?

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2154 Post by boing » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Oh BOAC, as my father used to say "There are none as thick as those that want to be".

Think, this is not just a matter of Texas. As the article says, as soon as these people have been processed they are then free to go anywhere in the US. Presumably they will go to live, at least temporarily, with friends or relatives which will cause local hot spots of infection to spread all over the US. The largest Mexican populations are in Texas and California both of which have illegal alien problems. The difference is that Texas objects to illegal aliens whereas California welcomes them, something about keeping the grass cut I believe. There are also large Mexican populations in New York and Illinois. I imagine you believe that all of the infected aliens will go to Texas and all of the clean ones to California as some sort of divine retribution.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2155 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:04 pm

Sounds like a plan. Serves Texas right.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2156 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:11 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:04 pm
Sounds like a plan. Serves Texas right.
=))

Better hurry though before the lights go out in the Republic of Texas again!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2157 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:15 pm

Just remind me - Republican or Democrat state? Presumably garnering political acumen from Trump?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2158 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:24 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:15 pm
Just remind me - Republican or Democrat state? Presumably garnering political acumen from Trump?
Republican red as a pair of old Soviet underpants but with the skid marks as they don't have power to run the washing machines! :))

Nothing like a mixed metaphor to add soapsuds to the afternoon's scants!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2159 Post by llondel » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:26 pm

The electorate is turning blue though, I suspect if the gerrymandering was undone and voter suppression was stopped, it might well turn blue, or at least purple.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2160 Post by boing » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:16 pm

Keep telling me how wonderful California is compared with Texas. The homeless seem to think it is heaven, along with the other Democrat ruled cities like Seattle, Portland and New York.
Nearly a quarter of all people experiencing homelessness in the U.S. are in either New York or Los Angeles and the latter comes second on the list with 56,257 people with no home. Seattle/King County in Washington rounds off the top-3 with 11,199 while another two Californian CoCs, San Jose/Santa Clara City & County and San Diego City and County complete the top-five.
Unlike New York, a significant share of California's homeless population is sleeping rough. The research found that an estimated 71.7% of all homeless people in California are unsheltered compared to just 4.4% in New York. The two CoCs (California Countys - Boing) with the highest unsheltered rates are largely rural and both are also in California. Lake County in the Northwest of the state reported a 94% unsheltered rate while Alpine, Inyo and Mono Countries on the border with Nevada reported 92%.
Here is a little fun for you. You don't have to watch it all since it is the same story all the way through, the first 2 minutes should be enough. Portland has changed from a great city to a boarded up slum area in a single year thanks to the Democrat's ideas of law and order, condoning BLM and the other rioters. Oh, and their great social experiment? Ask the homeless in the video about that..
What Downtown Portland Looks Like in 2021 (Part 1)

No tell me what you really think about the remodelling.