Chaos in USA

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in USA

#2461 Post by llondel » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:17 am

Sounds like a more deserving case than some. I can't fault them for shooting back, it's the shooting first without adequate reason that's the problem.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#2462 Post by prospector » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:47 am

When you get stopped for running a red light, and then this is your response, one can understand why cops have a light trigger finger,

https://www.rt.com/usa/521406-molotov-n ... ttack-cop/

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2463 Post by EA01 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 am

I don't know how accurate this stuff is....but seems like our age old ally is not in a good way....and then news of a Father & 7yr Old Daughter shot dead in a McDonalds in Chicago...

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... f8e107ea5f

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2464 Post by llondel » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:55 pm

prospector wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:47 am
When you get stopped for running a red light, and then this is your response, one can understand why cops have a light trigger finger,

https://www.rt.com/usa/521406-molotov-n ... ttack-cop/
It's a chicken and egg situation. Police need guns and are likely to use them because they know the criminals have guns and are likely to use them. Criminals have guns because they know the police have guns and are likely to use them.

This is one reason why the British police mostly don't carry guns, and most criminals don't either, because they're unlikely to get shot unless they're carrying one. The US police went down a route of an escalating arms race the British police see where that leads and are trying not to follow suit.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2465 Post by John Hill » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:41 am

American police need guns and are likely to use them because they know the criminals have guns and are likely to use them. Criminals have guns because there are millions of guns for them to buy or steal.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2466 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:59 am

Americans - bad and good, have to have guns because their entertainment industry glorifies them. I've rarely watched a US crime series where guns aren't a constant presence. Not always been so. I don't think Colombo carried a gun. Couldn't imagine Jack Frost or Vera Stanhope with a gun.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2467 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:53 am

There is also a difference between active and passive policing. In a way, investigating a murder is more cerebral and investigative. It is at the arrest that the heavy mob might go in - Frost and Vera for instance don't usually end in the heavy mob. Line of Duty does.
Routine policing does not expect to face armed criminals but there is a change. In many locations they expect to meet armed terrorists and armed police in airports or London is becoming the norm.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#2468 Post by Dushan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:35 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:02 pm
The officer, a five-year veteran, was taken to a hospital. McManus said he had no information on his condition other than he was able to talk.
"I will also say that the officer is very, very lucky to be alive at that close range, having been shot in the hand, and not somewhere else more vital," McManus said.
Perhaps not able to write up the incident.

I believe the advice we were given 50 odd years ago was actually to get out of your car, hands on view, and humbly apologise.
Never get out of the car if stopped by the cops.
Keys on the dashboard, hands on the steering wheel, open window, say "yes, Sir" a lot.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#2469 Post by Dushan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:40 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:59 am
Americans - bad and good, have to have guns because their entertainment industry glorifies them. I've rarely watched a US crime series where guns aren't a constant presence. Not always been so. I don't think Colombo carried a gun. Couldn't imagine Jack Frost or Vera Stanhope with a gun.
But Harry Callahan, Kojak, Jack Bauer, and countless others did.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2470 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 pm

IF I lived in the US I would most certainly 'carry'. IF I lived in the US and was black I would also think very seriously about running away from a police stop, given the current record.

Mercifully I don't. IF I were to visit the US I would certainly try to obtain a gun for the duration too. That's where the US has got itself. Presumably someone there is proud of what they have achieved. Heaven knows why.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2471 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:21 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 pm
IF I were to visit the US I would certainly try to obtain a gun for the duration too.
If you were to try to get a gun here you would have to become a criminal and get one illegally. [-X
Good luck and let me know how that works out. :-o :-?

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2472 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:22 pm

Plenty of precedent, I feel?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2473 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Come to think of it, I don't know the hoops a furrener would have to jump through to buy a gun. :-??
Requirements are over 18 years to buy a long gun and I think 21 for a hand gun. FBI background check: again don't know how it would be done on a furrener. Usually takes less than three days, I think.
I can purchase guns without any wait period thanks to having a concealed carry permit. While I live in an open carry state, no permit required to carry, concealed or open, going through the permit process has certain advantages.

PP

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2474 Post by ian16th » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm

When I used to visit, 1970's and 80's, a foreigner could buy a gun in Florida.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2475 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:59 pm

Dushan, I don't doubt it, just remember of 50 years ago it was get out of car, speak Queen's English and grovel

They know limeys don't carry guns.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2476 Post by llondel » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:08 pm

Dushan wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:35 pm
Never get out of the car if stopped by the cops.
Keys on the dashboard, hands on the steering wheel, open window, say "yes, Sir" a lot.
That's something that is totally the opposite to the UK, at least the first part. I got stopped one night, having been having fun driving home on a deserted country road. Turns out he'd been trying to match his weedy underpowered base model Fiesta against my XR2i and he only caught me because I did slow down to the speed limit through a village and he clearly didn't. There was a long straight on exit from the village and he got to the start before I got to the end and so he turned his flashing lights on. By the time he got to the lay-by at the end I was out of my car, leaning on the roof waiting for him. I got the free car inspection and a talk about driving recklessly. At that point I looked over at his car, which was clanking furiously as it cooled down after being thrashed, and back at mine, which wasn't at all stressed, and he got the message. He had told me up front that because he was on his own he couldn't actually give me a ticket, so I mostly just stood quietly and let him rant on until he realised he hadn't set a particularly good example. He was a local village cop and I know a few other people he went after. because he was on the route between our company offices. I chose not to correct him when he claimed I'd been speeding through his village, because I know I wasn't - I'm afraid I figured out early on that the chances of being caught speeding in villages was way higher than on the roads in between.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2477 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:36 pm

Sorry BOAC. You are SOL to get one legally here. [-X
Everything I have found point to having to be a resident.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/doc ... f/download

Purchasing a Firearm in Arizona
Buyer must not be a “prohibited possessor” under federal or state law and be

• over 18 years of age in order to purchase a long gun or
• over 21 in order to purchase a handgun.
present government-issued photo ID which establishes name, address, date-of-birth and carries a signature
• Correctly and completely fill out and sign form government form 4473
If not a U.S. citizen and not an immigrant visa foreign nationals will need to present proof of exception status
• Be able to pay for his or her purchase
• The dealer will then call or fax the Arizona Firearms Clearance Center for an Arizona clearance as well as a federalNICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) check. Usually the check itself will take less than a minute and the resultant answer is either a proceed, a delay or a deny. A delay gives the FBI 3 days to clear it up and before which the firearm cannot be sold. After 3 days the sale can take place automatically. A deny means the sale cannot go through and the purchaser can contact the Arizona Firearms Clearance Center to clear up the matter.
• An Arizona resident may then take possession of the firearm. Non-residents need to comply with several additional criteria:

• the firearm must be legally possessible in the buyer’s state of residence
• the transaction must be legal in the purchaser’s state of residence
• Immediate possession of long guns is allowed if this is allowed in the state of residence
• Purchased handguns will be shipped by the dealer in Arizona to a licensed dealer (FFL [Federal Firearms License]) in the state of residence.

PP

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2478 Post by 1DC » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm

In the sixties in Texas you could certainly buy a gun in the gun shop in Port Arthur without any problem because quite a few guys off our ship bought hand guns. I don't know if they had to show id or not because I wasn't there. When I paid off to come home it was in Gibraltar and one of the Engineers who had bought a gun paid off with me and just put it in his suitcase and said nothing and got away with it. We both flew to LHR. He then flew up to ABZ and I rented a car and drove to Hull.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2479 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:41 pm

Being reported that the jury in the Chauvin Trial have reached a verdict. Standby for trouble kicking off no matter what verdict has been reached.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2480 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:08 pm

Guilty on all 3 counts!

PP