Chaos in USA

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Dushan
Capt
Capt

Re: Chaos in USA

#3581 Post by Dushan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:02 pm

I will never understand the obsession people, who are not in US, have with people in US having guns. It is enshrined in the Constitution and is is none of anyone's business.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#3582 Post by k3k3 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:30 pm

I don't think it's the guns, it's more the pointless loss of lives.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3583 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:21 pm

The sad thing , besides all of the other sadness, is that the shooters and potential shooters are getting younger and younger.

Kansas City shooting result of 'dispute between several people,' 2 juveniles in custody

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/li ... rcna138881

Santa Rosa teen arrested, charged with possessing a gun he made using 3D technology
The 14-year-old suspect was in class at Montgomery High School before he was arrested.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sa ... rcna138957

Student faces attempted murder charges in an alleged plot to carry out school shooting after classmate raised concerns

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/15/us/schoo ... index.html

PP

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#3584 Post by Dushan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:29 pm

Yes sadly the disappearance of the traditional family construct, the elimination of shooting ranges in schools and gun safety education, the proliferation of the "gansta" lifestyle...

Need I go on?
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3585 Post by Woody » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:33 pm

Slavery and prohibition were in the Constitution, but you managed to get away from them .
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#3586 Post by Dushan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:44 pm

Slavery was never in the Constitution.
The 18th amendment was enacted in 1919 en repealed by 21st in 1933.

Yes, you can add amendments but it is a very high bar so not likely to happen for the 2nd.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3587 Post by Woody » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:58 pm

It is enshrined in the Constitution and is is none of anyone's business.
Has anyone ever thought to ask the families of those killed over the years?

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#3588 Post by Dushan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:49 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:58 pm
It is enshrined in the Constitution and is is none of anyone's business.
Has anyone ever thought to ask the families of those killed over the years?
Again, you are meddling in other people's business.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3589 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:57 pm

Michelle for President?

https://realclearwire.com/articles/2024 ... 50504.html

A good argument, I think.

Latest Polling indicates none of the usual suspects would beat Trump either, if Biden withdrew to let them run.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/latest ... l-election

..and, if the argument in the top article holds, no-one is going to mention Michelle even as a possible candidate until she becomes the actual Candidate.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3590 Post by 1DC » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:01 pm

Wether everyone in the United States carries a gun or doesn't carry a gun does not interest me in the slightest and would not make the news outside of the United States if that is all it was. The fact that so many of the gun carriers shoot each other makes the news and causes us to comment, we aren't meddling in other peoples business. It surely isn't anything for the people of the United States to be proud of even if it is in the Constitution.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3591 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:28 pm

The two juveniles arrested in Kansas City have been charged.
I would love for someone to explain to me how increasing regulation helps reduce any crimes that are being committed by people who are breaking regulations in the first place.
Or, indeed, any evidence that this works despite the simple logic saying it won't.
And there's opportunity cost: passing and enforcing regulation costs money. Passing and enforcing pointless regulations costs money that could be spent catching the criminals.
This is universally applicable, not just America and guns.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3592 Post by probes » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:51 pm

Dunno. Sometimes, and increasingly often, it seems to me that people have gone mad. Or, at least, the % of mad ones is higher than the non-mad population.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3593 Post by Woody » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:22 pm

1DC wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:01 pm
Wether everyone in the United States carries a gun or doesn't carry a gun does not interest me in the slightest and would not make the news outside of the United States if that is all it was. The fact that so many of the gun carriers shoot each other makes the news and causes us to comment, we aren't meddling in other peoples business. It surely isn't anything for the people of the United States to be proud of even if it is in the Constitution.
But it seems to be a red rag to a bull for some people ~X(

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3594 Post by Boac » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:56 pm

Oh dear! Only $350 million. Someone stole the finding? =))

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3595 Post by llondel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:58 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:28 pm
The two juveniles arrested in Kansas City have been charged.
I would love for someone to explain to me how increasing regulation helps reduce any crimes that are being committed by people who are breaking regulations in the first place.
Or, indeed, any evidence that this works despite the simple logic saying it won't.
And there's opportunity cost: passing and enforcing regulation costs money. Passing and enforcing pointless regulations costs money that could be spent catching the criminals.
This is universally applicable, not just America and guns.
Two parts to it. One is lack of impulse control, or consideration of consequences of actions, which is down to individuals and the community. The other is how easy it is to do a stupid thing. You won't stop all of them, but if you can prevent 90% by regulation then that's a big improvement.

Restricting firearms works well in a lot of places, but even in places where there's not control, people just tend not to go out on shooting sprees very often. Think of it like the proverbial Swiss cheese - make it harder to get a weapon, and raise kids in such a way that they don't feel the need to shoot people. The problem with the US is that those two slices are missing from the cheese.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3596 Post by llondel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:00 pm

From the "WHY?" file:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) - A bill introduced in Tennessee could ban the sale of refrigerated or cold beer.

The bill, SB 2636, aims to prohibit a beer permittee from selling, at retail, refrigerated or cold beer.

It was introduced on Jan. 31 in the House and Senate. So far, it’s passed on first and second consideration in the Senate and has been referred to the Senate State and Local Government Committee.

The bill was introduced by Representative Ron Gant, R-Piperton and Senator Paul Rose, R-District 32.
https://www.wsmv.com/2024/02/14/new-bil ... tennessee/

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3597 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:11 pm

That would put Coors out of business as their beer if shipped refrigerated from the brewery.
At least in Tennessee.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3598 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:14 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:56 pm
Oh dear! Only $350 million. Someone stole the finding? =))
The monetary aspect is only part of the ruling.
The other parts of the ruling might have a greater impact.

PP

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#3599 Post by Dushan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:53 pm

llondel wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:00 pm
From the "WHY?" file:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) - A bill introduced in Tennessee could ban the sale of refrigerated or cold beer.

The bill, SB 2636, aims to prohibit a beer permittee from selling, at retail, refrigerated or cold beer.

It was introduced on Jan. 31 in the House and Senate. So far, it’s passed on first and second consideration in the Senate and has been referred to the Senate State and Local Government Committee.

The bill was introduced by Representative Ron Gant, R-Piperton and Senator Paul Rose, R-District 32.
https://www.wsmv.com/2024/02/14/new-bil ... tennessee/
WHY?
Probably to prevent people form buying a sixpack and drinking it on the spot. Of course our Brit friends would say "meh, pass me another one".

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3600 Post by llondel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:03 pm

Dushan wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:53 pm
WHY?
Probably to prevent people form buying a sixpack and drinking it on the spot. Of course our Brit friends would say "meh, pass me another one".
British beer is brewed to taste OK when warm. Although I can't claim to be an expert, I don't drink the stuff, merely passing on what I've been told about it.

Enterprising outlets will have a fridge or other cooling mechanism whereby you can buy your beer, then for an extra dollar, put it in their cooler for a few minutes. That'll get around the law, most likely.